Somewhat Bobcat-Related: Mike Leach to Mississippi State

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Re: Somewhat Bobcat-Related

Post by Cledus » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:30 pm

I could see WSU or a school like them giving a guy like Choate a shot. If you believe an FBS school will never hire an FCS coach because Wulff didn't do well, you are dumb.

There's nothing fancy or trendy about his X's and O's philosophy that wouldn't carry over to a higher level of competition: control the line of scrimmage and run the ball effectively. That never goes out of style. Choate now has a feather in his cap as he has demonstrated he can build a program.

I think the successful coaches at the FBS level are skilled administrators; they can effectively lead and manage a larger organization than what exists at the FCS level. I see everyone's point and I agree with it that a head coach at that level generally needs some training in the form of a OC or DC position. Having said that, a head coach who makes leap from FCS to FBS is like skipping a grade, you just don't see it very much but that doesn't mean the right person can't do it.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:04 pm

Cledus wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:30 pm
I could see WSU or a school like them giving a guy like Choate a shot. If you believe an FBS school will never hire an FCS coach because Wulff didn't do well, you are dumb.

There's nothing fancy or trendy about his X's and O's philosophy that wouldn't carry over to a higher level of competition: control the line of scrimmage and run the ball effectively. That never goes out of style. Choate now has a feather in his cap as he has demonstrated he can build a program.

I think the successful coaches at the FBS level are skilled administrators; they can effectively lead and manage a larger organization than what exists at the FCS level. I see everyone's point and I agree with it that a head coach at that level generally needs some training in the form of a OC or DC position. Having said that, a head coach who makes leap from FCS to FBS is like skipping a grade, you just don't see it very much but that doesn't mean the right person can't do it.
Who said WSU won’t hire an FCS coach because of Wulff?

They probably won’t hire an FCS coach in part because FCS coaches have a bad track record in the FBS and there are other qualified coaches out there with good track records.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:46 pm

Bill Moos, former AD at WSU, current AD at Nebraska has a son named Bo.

Bo is coming to work at MSU as the Associate Athletic Director of Development. He played on the DL for Arizona State.

Hopefully he turns out to be as good as his dad is.

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:28 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:32 pm
catgrad05 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:46 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:34 pm
These guys need to keep there thoughts to themselves and leave Choate alone so he can stay in Bozeman
Now what happens if he decides to go with Andersen and our NCS transfer next year? Troy gets 20-25 carries a game and destroys our school rushing record and Infanse gets 1200 yards? They win 12 or 13 games and we'll have to read the constant pizzing and bitching about not throwing it downfield and the poor play calling... I can't wait for the Spring NCAA Convention to see all the musical chairs on all the coaching staffs.

:P That would be classic (and possibly not too far fetched).

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:38 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:21 am
The reporter was trying to state that Choate was already in Pullman by looking at the airline routes. But he was trying to wrap it in with Choate leaving the AFCA convention for the interview. The route he retweeted was from Henderson Executive Airport (Las Vegas, NV) to Bozeman, MT. Then Bozeman, MT to Pullman, WA. However, the AFCA convention is in Nashville so I'm not quite sure why Henderson Executive would be involved in this equation he laid out. Seemed like fishing to me.

But...a Pac-12 HC job is one of the few things Choate would leave MSU for. I don't think he would get it but he's more of a candidate than most on this board want to believe.

First of all, "Anything is possible".

Now with that said, if he got a call to interview he would be nuts not to go out there. However, I can't believe he'd get a Pac 12 offer as head coach (even Wash State). Just don't see that happening. If he did then more power to him. That is one hell of a career arc.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:56 pm

NorthernPlains wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:28 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
These guys need to keep there thoughts to themselves and leave Choate alone so he can stay in Bozeman
Now what happens if he decides to go with Andersen and our NCS transfer next year? Troy gets 20-25 carries a game and destroys our school rushing record and Infanse gets 1200 yards? They win 12 or 13 games and we'll have to read the constant pizzing and bitching about not throwing it downfield and the poor play calling... I can't wait for the Spring NCAA Convention to see all the musical chairs on all the coaching staffs.

I'd love to see the Cats run it 75 times a game and throw it...0...realistically? 5 to 10 max. I love the diamond!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:26 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:56 pm
NorthernPlains wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I'd love to see the Cats run it 75 times a game and throw it...0...realistically? 5 to 10 max. I love the diamond!
So, you grew up in Texas!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:38 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:26 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:56 pm
NorthernPlains wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

So, you grew up in Texas!
I don't intend to ever grow up! I watched the Cats when the Houston Veer ran all over everyone in the 50s and 60s...Can't stand the crap out to the flats to a slot...I'd rather watch a lineman literally smash a DL or LB and let someone like Andersen or Infanse cream the secondary. Football is really more than a contact sport.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Somewhat Bobcat-Related: Mike Leach to Mississippi State

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:53 am

Phew! Good, looks like Choate will be around a bit longer.

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:56 am

Good deal. I was reading last night that some folks weren't too keen on Choate if he were to be hired for Wazzu. I'd rather he stay in Bozeman and strive for 5 over the western school of dance

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:00 am

3 million annually at WSU? Sure can't ever blame Coach Choate for looking to move up. Wow!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:23 am

That seems like a good fit for WSU. Also, I feel like $3mil a year in Pullman is substantial.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:05 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:23 am
That seems like a good fit for WSU. Also, I feel like $3mil a year in Pullman is substantial.
Pretty sure you can own the biggest house in Pullman for an easy $100k. It's a veritable ******.

gtfcat84
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by gtfcat84 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:50 pm

Nick Rolovich is former MSU QB Jack Rolovich's brother.

'You can't ride home on a bowl of goat' - Ron White

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:05 pm

gtfcat84 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:50 pm
Nick Rolovich is former MSU QB Jack Rolovich's brother.
Yep, I believe Jack was on his staff recently.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:08 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:05 am
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:23 am
Pretty sure you can own the biggest house in Pullman for an easy $100k. It's a veritable ******.
Dunno, I'd rather live in Pullman than Lewiston, or Moses Lake, or Twin Falls, or Spokane. Spent 10 months in Wichita a decade ago. Would take Pullman over that in a heartbeat.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:10 pm

This is as good a place as any for this.....

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:12 pm

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act