After the game observations

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

BleedingBLue
Member # Retired
Posts: 2991
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Re: After the game observations

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:36 pm

BobcatOninetails wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:59 pm
As I really don’t see another thread to comment about this, am I alone in thinking that we need a true OC. I just think MM is in over his head a bit. Along with that if we need TA to touch the ball on offense next year, we aren’t on the next level. We won 3-4 without him running the ball. Against great competition. Time to let the kid show that he is the best defensive player in the FCS. He won’t get another chance.
I've thought TA should be playing nothing but D since mid-season at least. It was clear offense was making his injuries worse most of the year.

As for Miller, what is a true OC? Everyone started somewhere right?



LogicFan
New Recruit
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:55 pm

Re: After the game observations

Post by LogicFan » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:05 pm

JimboCat wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:29 am
I noticed the NDSU coach wasn't very complementary after the game. Had a lot to say about his team, had a chip on their shoulder, etc. Schwedelson just said on twitter the "make it rain" sack celebration was a response to Choate's comments on NDSU having an advantage from FCOA and their coach said they "took some things personal last week". I thought Choate was very complimentary of NDSU, maybe shouldn't have said the FCOA comments when asked or could have phrased it in a different way focusing on us needing to add it, not them having an advantage. It was very minor though and shouldn't have been a big deal. They were needing motivation apparently.

Two traits that has kept NDSU at the top, in my opinion, are they have remained hungry and humble. They seem to have lost some of both, which could hurt them going forward.
Not hungry. They just went 15-0 with a team full of freshmen and sophomores

Not humble- we’ll keep it within 3 scores



FTG247365
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 882
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:58 pm

Re: After the game observations

Post by FTG247365 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:11 pm

BobcatOninetails wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:59 pm
As I really don’t see another thread to comment about this, am I alone in thinking that we need a true OC. I just think MM is in over his head a bit. Along with that if we need TA to touch the ball on offense next year, we aren’t on the next level. We won 3-4 without him running the ball. Against great competition. Time to let the kid show that he is the best defensive player in the FCS. He won’t get another chance.
I thought the play calling mid way in the 3rd and all of the 4th was a little conservative. Air it out a little more, take a few more shots down field. IMO we were playing from behind take some shots, get creative, stop running it up the middle or throwing the flat route for no yards. Win or go home, mentality. The offensive play calling got significantly better after the UND game. Like any coach or coordinator they'll get better, I like that he is young, he will get better, every game we have improved. I can't complain, we just played in the Semifinals, how many other FCS teams wished they had?



User avatar
Helcat72
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3668
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:47 pm
Location: Helena

Re: After the game observations

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:17 pm

FTG247365 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:11 pm
BobcatOninetails wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:59 pm
As I really don’t see another thread to comment about this, am I alone in thinking that we need a true OC. I just think MM is in over his head a bit. Along with that if we need TA to touch the ball on offense next year, we aren’t on the next level. We won 3-4 without him running the ball. Against great competition. Time to let the kid show that he is the best defensive player in the FCS. He won’t get another chance.
I thought the play calling mid way in the 3rd and all of the 4th was a little conservative. Air it out a little more, take a few more shots down field. IMO we were playing from behind take some shots, get creative, stop running it up the middle or throwing the flat route for no yards. Win or go home, mentality. The offensive play calling got significantly better after the UND game. Like any coach or coordinator they'll get better, I like that he is young, he will get better, every game we have improved. I can't complain, we just played in the Semifinals, how many other FCS teams wished they had?
Don't fool yourself....we got conservative to keep the score down. Hell, on their last touchdown they went for 2 again. That's a coach who wants to prove a point. No way was Choate gonna let him do that!

Matt Miller is going to be a hot commodity in a year or so...mark my word! And it's not like we offer a 40 -50K job to Kellen Moore!


2020 Beat the Covids!

User avatar
BobcatOninetails
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 764
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:28 am

Re: After the game observations

Post by BobcatOninetails » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:42 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:17 pm
FTG247365 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:11 pm
BobcatOninetails wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:59 pm
As I really don’t see another thread to comment about this, am I alone in thinking that we need a true OC. I just think MM is in over his head a bit. Along with that if we need TA to touch the ball on offense next year, we aren’t on the next level. We won 3-4 without him running the ball. Against great competition. Time to let the kid show that he is the best defensive player in the FCS. He won’t get another chance.
I thought the play calling mid way in the 3rd and all of the 4th was a little conservative. Air it out a little more, take a few more shots down field. IMO we were playing from behind take some shots, get creative, stop running it up the middle or throwing the flat route for no yards. Win or go home, mentality. The offensive play calling got significantly better after the UND game. Like any coach or coordinator they'll get better, I like that he is young, he will get better, every game we have improved. I can't complain, we just played in the Semifinals, how many other FCS teams wished they had?
We sent Kane away to learn to b a DC and he had way more experience than Miller. Yes, every one starts somewhere, but with Cho4ates connections, you would think he could find someone with more experience. I hope MM succeeds, right now i just have some doubts and dont want this to evolve into a Jamie Marshall situation for Cho4tee.
Don't fool yourself....we got conservative to keep the score down. Hell, on their last touchdown they went for 2 again. That's a coach who wants to prove a point. No way was Choate gonna let him do that!

Matt Miller is going to be a hot commodity in a year or so...mark my word! And it's not like we offer a 40 -50K job to Kellen Moore!


"Success is simple. Do what's right, the right way, at the right time." - Arnold H. Glasgow

User avatar
BobcatOninetails
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 764
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:28 am

Re: After the game observations

Post by BobcatOninetails » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:43 pm

BobcatOninetails wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:42 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:17 pm
FTG247365 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:11 pm
BobcatOninetails wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:59 pm
As I really don’t see another thread to comment about this, am I alone in thinking that we need a true OC. I just think MM is in over his head a bit. Along with that if we need TA to touch the ball on offense next year, we aren’t on the next level. We won 3-4 without him running the ball. Against great competition. Time to let the kid show that he is the best defensive player in the FCS. He won’t get another chance.
I thought the play calling mid way in the 3rd and all of the 4th was a little conservative. Air it out a little more, take a few more shots down field. IMO we were playing from behind take some shots, get creative, stop running it up the middle or throwing the flat route for no yards. Win or go home, mentality. The offensive play calling got significantly better after the UND game. Like any coach or coordinator they'll get better, I like that he is young, he will get better, every game we have improved. I can't complain, we just played in the Semifinals, how many other FCS teams wished they had?
We sent Kane away to learn to b a DC and he had way more experience than Miller. Yes, every one starts somewhere, but with Cho4ates connections, you would think he could find someone with more experience. I hope MM succeeds, right now i just have some doubts and dont want this to evolve into a Jamie Marshall situation for Cho4tee.
Don't fool yourself....we got conservative to keep the score down. Hell, on their last touchdown they went for 2 again. That's a coach who wants to prove a point. No way was Choate gonna let him do that!

Matt Miller is going to be a hot commodity in a year or so...mark my word! And it's not like we offer a 40 -50K job to Kellen Moore!


"Success is simple. Do what's right, the right way, at the right time." - Arnold H. Glasgow

User avatar
BobcatOninetails
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 764
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:28 am

Re: After the game observations

Post by BobcatOninetails » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:49 pm

BobcatOninetails wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:42 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:17 pm
FTG247365 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:11 pm
BobcatOninetails wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:59 pm
As I really don’t see another thread to comment about this, am I alone in thinking that we need a true OC. I just think MM is in over his head a bit. Along with that if we need TA to touch the ball on offense next year, we aren’t on the next level. We won 3-4 without him running the ball. Against great competition. Time to let the kid show that he is the best defensive player in the FCS. He won’t get another chance.
I thought the play calling mid way in the 3rd and all of the 4th was a little conservative. Air it out a little more, take a few more shots down field. IMO we were playing from behind take some shots, get creative, stop running it up the middle or throwing the flat route for no yards. Win or go home, mentality. The offensive play calling got significantly better after the UND game. Like any coach or coordinator they'll get better, I like that he is young, he will get better, every game we have improved. I can't complain, we just played in the Semifinals, how many other FCS teams wished they had?
We sent Kane away to learn to b a DC and he had way more experience than Miller. Yes, every one starts somewhere, but with Cho4ates connections, you would think he could find someone with more experience. I hope MM succeeds, right now i just have some doubts and dont want this to evolve into a Jamie Marshall situation for Cho4tee.
Don't fool yourself....we got conservative to keep the score down. Hell, on their last touchdown they went for 2 again. That's a coach who wants to prove a point. No way was Choate gonna let him do that!

Matt Miller is going to be a hot commodity in a year or so...mark my word! And it's not like we offer a 40 -50K job to Kellen Moore!
Hmm i dont know what I did there. Let me try again. Choate sent Kane away to learn his job better and he had more experience than MM. i would hope that Choate has enough connections to find someone with more experience. I dont want this to turn into a Jamie Marshall situation for Choate. Maybe MM will be sent to prep with someone in the off season to learn more. Every OC Ash had became a commodity, but they all had The 9 to make them look good.


"Success is simple. Do what's right, the right way, at the right time." - Arnold H. Glasgow

FTG247365
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 882
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:58 pm

Re: After the game observations

Post by FTG247365 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:13 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:17 pm
FTG247365 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:11 pm
BobcatOninetails wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:59 pm
As I really don’t see another thread to comment about this, am I alone in thinking that we need a true OC. I just think MM is in over his head a bit. Along with that if we need TA to touch the ball on offense next year, we aren’t on the next level. We won 3-4 without him running the ball. Against great competition. Time to let the kid show that he is the best defensive player in the FCS. He won’t get another chance.
I thought the play calling mid way in the 3rd and all of the 4th was a little conservative. Air it out a little more, take a few more shots down field. IMO we were playing from behind take some shots, get creative, stop running it up the middle or throwing the flat route for no yards. Win or go home, mentality. The offensive play calling got significantly better after the UND game. Like any coach or coordinator they'll get better, I like that he is young, he will get better, every game we have improved. I can't complain, we just played in the Semifinals, how many other FCS teams wished they had?
Don't fool yourself....we got conservative to keep the score down. Hell, on their last touchdown they went for 2 again. That's a coach who wants to prove a point. No way was Choate gonna let him do that!

Matt Miller is going to be a hot commodity in a year or so...mark my word! And it's not like we offer a 40 -50K job to Kellen Moore!
I agree, he'll jump the ranks no doubt. Just like he did here last year. More experience, resume building, stats, proven success and a leader. Then we'll all say some day Matt Miller started @ MSU. Gotta love seeing a Montana guy succeed.
I know what you mean by keeping the score down, but taking a shot, you have nothing to lose. Then adjust the defense to slow them down. I still don't think we win the game, but try and narrow margin.



91catAlum
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7130
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:41 pm
Location: Clancy, MT

Re: After the game observations

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:34 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:17 pm
FTG247365 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:11 pm
BobcatOninetails wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:59 pm
As I really don’t see another thread to comment about this, am I alone in thinking that we need a true OC. I just think MM is in over his head a bit. Along with that if we need TA to touch the ball on offense next year, we aren’t on the next level. We won 3-4 without him running the ball. Against great competition. Time to let the kid show that he is the best defensive player in the FCS. He won’t get another chance.
I thought the play calling mid way in the 3rd and all of the 4th was a little conservative. Air it out a little more, take a few more shots down field. IMO we were playing from behind take some shots, get creative, stop running it up the middle or throwing the flat route for no yards. Win or go home, mentality. The offensive play calling got significantly better after the UND game. Like any coach or coordinator they'll get better, I like that he is young, he will get better, every game we have improved. I can't complain, we just played in the Semifinals, how many other FCS teams wished they had?
Don't fool yourself....we got conservative to keep the score down. Hell, on their last touchdown they went for 2 again. That's a coach who wants to prove a point. No way was Choate gonna let him do that!

Matt Miller is going to be a hot commodity in a year or so...mark my word! And it's not like we offer a 40 -50K job to Kellen Moore!
Ya that's why we faked a punt in our own territory in the second half, cuz we went conservative.
BS.


Image
24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14281
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: After the game observations

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:30 am

Difficult to gauge where MSU is relative to Ndsu based off this game. The three 70+ TDs were like giving up three pick-6s or three punt return TDs. Ndsu was attempting to run the score up and did some things after getting a big lead that it doesn’t normally do.

MSU had three sustained drives in the game, but only scored on one and even though Ndsu scored on its last drive before the half they needed to convert on fourth down twice and on a third and 6.

MSU played a pretty clean game. No penalties and just one turnover, which is good considering the environment and opponent.

Lance was just 13-19-0 for 75 yards without the two long TDs. Jones/Ifanse combined for 109 yards on 23 carries.

I really liked the last MSU drive despite not scoring and it being against a lot of their reserves. Continued to fight and play MSU football and it worked for the most part.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3821
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: After the game observations

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:49 am

Lance without the long TD's likely either has more passes equaling the yardage, or they run for more.

There wasn't a lot suggesting we were stopping them. I saw that somebody posted they were "only" 5/10 on 3rd downs. That's...a really good number. Exactly what they averaged for the year. For reference, we converted 37% of 3rd downs, and allowed teams to convert 34% of 3rd downs. Allowing a team to convert half of their 3rd downs is a big sign of the defense just not stopping them.

In essence, the big plays are likely TD's or FG's regardless. We weren't stopping that offense.



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14281
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: After the game observations

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:27 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:49 am
Lance without the long TD's likely either has more passes equaling the yardage, or they run for more.

There wasn't a lot suggesting we were stopping them. I saw that somebody posted they were "only" 5/10 on 3rd downs. That's...a really good number. Exactly what they averaged for the year. For reference, we converted 37% of 3rd downs, and allowed teams to convert 34% of 3rd downs. Allowing a team to convert half of their 3rd downs is a big sign of the defense just not stopping them.

In essence, the big plays are likely TD's or FG's regardless. We weren't stopping that offense.
True, but if they are long TD/FG drives they’re likely time-consuming and less scoring. Which is why it’s difficult to gauge since you don’t really know how those drives end up.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14281
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: After the game observations

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:56 am

Really good athletes, regardless of their sport, go through an evolution. They hit an initial peak and then plateau or regress. It’s during that time where they learn to not overthink things. It can take awhile to get through and some never do, hence why they never become even better. Once they get through that, however, they have an unbreakable belief in themselves. Even when they do slump they ‘know’ it’s only temporary.

Teams are that way, too. I believe MSU went through that process from late last year through this season. They went from ‘believing they believed’ in themselves to ‘knowing they believe’ in themselves.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

kwcat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1628
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:34 am

Re: After the game observations

Post by kwcat » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:30 pm

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Re: After the game observations
Report Quote
Unread post Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:30 am

Difficult to gauge where MSU is relative to Ndsu based off this game. The three 70+ TDs were like giving up three pick-6s or three punt return TDs. Ndsu was attempting to run the score up and did some things after getting a big lead that it doesn’t normally do.

Entz, in his post game interview ,talked a lot about opening up their playbook wide open.



thefrank1
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 737
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:14 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: After the game observations

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:39 pm

I believe that the second IS game was NDSU's equivalent to our UND game. both coaching squads renewed their belief in their teams and empowered the teams to win. Too bad we had to follow IS.


While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

User avatar
catgrad05
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1801
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:51 am
Location: North Central Montna

Re: After the game observations

Post by catgrad05 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:01 pm

I’ve been reading all the different threads and I don’t remember seeing this thought and figured here’s the best one to put it in......

Some people are making a big deal out of NDSU taking offense to the FCOA comment by Choate it that our fans where saying the Bison where beatable. I personally think that how the Cats got NDSUs full attention was the teams rallying cry of Never Again. NDSU knew the Cats wanted to avenge our defeat last year and would come out with a chip on our shoulders.

Personally I think our slogan for the year fueled NDSU more than anything else that was said or done leading up to the game



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4703
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: After the game observations

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:52 pm

catgrad05 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:01 pm
I’ve been reading all the different threads and I don’t remember seeing this thought and figured here’s the best one to put it in......

Some people are making a big deal out of NDSU taking offense to the FCOA comment by Choate it that our fans where saying the Bison where beatable. I personally think that how the Cats got NDSUs full attention was the teams rallying cry of Never Again. NDSU knew the Cats wanted to avenge our defeat last year and would come out with a chip on our shoulders.

Personally I think our slogan for the year fueled NDSU more than anything else that was said or done leading up to the game
My opinion is that when you’re as successful as NDSU is, you have to start finding ways to stay motivated. You have to find ways to have that chip on your shoulder. What choate said was not only completely true, but wasn’t even meant as a slight to begin with. If that comment got their attention like their coach said, while I think it’s a joke I can understand it.

Same goes with what fans say and what mantra the team has lived by all season. If they need to rely on these things to “get their attention” or play with a chip on their shoulder so be it. You certainly can’t deny the results.

I was one who thought the NDSU coach came off as whiny in his presser and kind of an ass. Seemed to go out of his way to make sure he didn’t praise the cats. But then I had to remind myself that we have a guy who is so over the top with his praise of an opponent that my view of others is a bit jaded.



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14281
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: After the game observations

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:47 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:52 pm
catgrad05 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:01 pm
I’ve been reading all the different threads and I don’t remember seeing this thought and figured here’s the best one to put it in......

Some people are making a big deal out of NDSU taking offense to the FCOA comment by Choate it that our fans where saying the Bison where beatable. I personally think that how the Cats got NDSUs full attention was the teams rallying cry of Never Again. NDSU knew the Cats wanted to avenge our defeat last year and would come out with a chip on our shoulders.

Personally I think our slogan for the year fueled NDSU more than anything else that was said or done leading up to the game
My opinion is that when you’re as successful as NDSU is, you have to start finding ways to stay motivated.
This.

The NDSU coach stayed in character postgame to keep his credibility with his players. If he comes out and says he just made a big deal about it to motivate his team, it wouldn’t be as effective next time.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5543
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: After the game observations

Post by iaafan » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:56 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:47 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:52 pm
catgrad05 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:01 pm
I’ve been reading all the different threads and I don’t remember seeing this thought and figured here’s the best one to put it in......

Some people are making a big deal out of NDSU taking offense to the FCOA comment by Choate it that our fans where saying the Bison where beatable. I personally think that how the Cats got NDSUs full attention was the teams rallying cry of Never Again. NDSU knew the Cats wanted to avenge our defeat last year and would come out with a chip on our shoulders.

Personally I think our slogan for the year fueled NDSU more than anything else that was said or done leading up to the game
My opinion is that when you’re as successful as NDSU is, you have to start finding ways to stay motivated.
This.

The NDSU coach stayed in character postgame to keep his credibility with his players. If he comes out and says he just made a big deal about it to motivate his team, it wouldn’t be as effective next time.
Very true, both posts. I’m sure Choate is okay with getting NDSU’s best shot. Personally, I’d rather know where I stand against someone playing their best.



Post Reply