After the game observations

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

After the game observations

Post by autocat » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:51 am

I noticed most of the Wheat King players ran into the stands and didn't bother shaking hands, most likely unintentional. Apparently that's what you do when you've been there before.

Wheat Kings coach is nothing like the last two coaches, he looks and sounds like a tough guy that has won the powerball lottery, but is too afraid to spend the money!

"The Barn" in Fargo looks like a great place to see a Garth Brooks concert, but not for football. Advantage to the "noise level" for the home team.

Tailgating, looks like a well organized county fair parking lot, with a chance to buy a used trailer if you're looking. There's not too many schools in America where you can tailgate and they go into a climate controlled environment.

JimboCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: After the game observations

Post by JimboCat » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:29 am

I noticed the NDSU coach wasn't very complementary after the game. Had a lot to say about his team, had a chip on their shoulder, etc. Schwedelson just said on twitter the "make it rain" sack celebration was a response to Choate's comments on NDSU having an advantage from FCOA and their coach said they "took some things personal last week". I thought Choate was very complimentary of NDSU, maybe shouldn't have said the FCOA comments when asked or could have phrased it in a different way focusing on us needing to add it, not them having an advantage. It was very minor though and shouldn't have been a big deal. They were needing motivation apparently.

Two traits that has kept NDSU at the top, in my opinion, are they have remained hungry and humble. They seem to have lost some of both, which could hurt them going forward.

JimboCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JimboCat » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:57 am

Here is the article Schwedelson was referencing.

https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zon ... tate-coach

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:33 pm

JimboCat wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:29 am
I noticed the NDSU coach wasn't very complementary after the game. Had a lot to say about his team, had a chip on their shoulder, etc. Schwedelson just said on twitter the "make it rain" sack celebration was a response to Choate's comments on NDSU having an advantage from FCOA and their coach said they "took some things personal last week". I thought Choate was very complimentary of NDSU, maybe shouldn't have said the FCOA comments when asked or could have phrased it in a different way focusing on us needing to add it, not them having an advantage. It was very minor though and shouldn't have been a big deal. They were needing motivation apparently.

Two traits that has kept NDSU at the top, in my opinion, are they have remained hungry and humble. They seem to have lost some of both, which could hurt them going forward.

That’s ridiculous if true. Choate did nothing but praise them for 99% of that interview.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

bpcats20

Post by bpcats20 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:45 pm

#1 looking for any slight

#2 NDSU coach sounds like a young Coach Hauck

# 3 - uneducated on the issue...

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:09 pm

Coaches are going to look for any reason they can to motivate their team. I don't think it's a big deal, personally.

I thought NDSU performed well on the field. They definitely celebrated some too. I love it. 18-23 year olds should have fun playing out there! Sterk has done a lot of that too.

If you were offended by the "rainmaker" or whatever, then I hope you're offended by "the real 37" too.

To end, let the kids have fun. It's a game.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:17 pm

Sounds very similar to the Golden State Warriors back in the old days when they were winning all of the time. They would manufacture ANYTHING they could to take offense to so they can make themselves mad to motivate them to play hard (despite not always needing to in order to win). It's just a simple coaching/motivational trick. I wouldn't expect anything less from a dynastic kind of team.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:17 pm

I almost never disagree with Choate, but I wish he hadn't said that. I think every school is playing with a different set of capabilities, and MSU is better off than most in the FCS. I think that motivated NDSU, and they didn't need any extra motivation. I agree that Choate was 99% complimentary, but human nature is going to pick out the one thing that they didn't agree with and focus on that. We all do it at some point, I believe, whether it's coaches, politicians, referees, etc. In Choate's defense, the question was posed to him and he answered it. It's not like him not to give his opinion.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:46 pm

Well at least it is VERY clear now that MSU had the Bison's attention :)

JimboCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JimboCat » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:47 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:09 pm
Coaches are going to look for any reason they can to motivate their team. I don't think it's a big deal, personally.

I thought NDSU performed well on the field. They definitely celebrated some too. I love it. 18-23 year olds should have fun playing out there! Sterk has done a lot of that too.

If you were offended by the "rainmaker" or whatever, then I hope you're offended by "the real 37" too.

To end, let the kids have fun. It's a game.
Totally agree. I'm not offended by the "rainmaker" celebration, the kids should be able to celebrate however they want. Good for him being creative. I just found it interesting NDSU took Choate's comments as such a big deal, including their head coach. Combined with how they played the week before against ISU (they should have won that game by 30), they are losing some mojo. Normal after how much successful they have had I guess.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:10 pm

I'm not offended by the rainmaker celebration, but I just find it odd a player would brag/taunt about being paid while a vast majority of student athletes are not.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Sotallytober
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Sotallytober » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:23 pm

JimboCat wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:47 pm
Combined with how they played the week before against ISU (they should have won that game by 30)
And if the game was properly officiated, they should have lost 10-9.

Clinton T

Post by Clinton T » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:08 pm

I know Choate was stating the obvious in his comments about FCOA, but I had conversations with a few of my buddies who thought it came across like a premade excuse for losing. That certainly wasn't his intent, but I can see how some would see it that way.

HotTubHigh
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by HotTubHigh » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:09 pm

bpcats20 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:45 pm
#1 looking for any slight

#2 NDSU coach sounds like a young Coach Hauck

# 3 - uneducated on the issue...
What struck me is how so few on here acted like they'd ever heard of "full cost of attendance" money. FBS dropdowns give up this money and seems it would be very difficult for most FCS teams to ever consider providing it. In Missoula, they give players' parents free hot dogs at tailgate parties to make up for it.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:17 pm

Sotallytober wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:23 pm
JimboCat wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:47 pm
Combined with how they played the week before against ISU (they should have won that game by 30)
And if the game was properly officiated, they should have lost 10-9.
Nope, two obvious Pass interference calls on ISU were not called, one of which occurred in the end zone and would have put them 1st and goal from the 4 or so. The missed calls were evident on both sides and were a wash.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

CPrice91
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by CPrice91 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:23 pm

JimboCat wrote:

Yeah, a lot of the NDSU fans did seem to do a good job of twisting Choate's words. I can see being annoyed at the FCOA thing, but there were a lot of people who told me they were angry that Choate had said "NDSU shouldn't have homefield advantage."

I was perplexed for awhile - maybe I missed something in the media leading up to the game? Then I realized they most likely meant when Choate was joking at the beginning of an interview that he would petition for a neutral site game. Either some really green-shaded glasses there, or they're just not bothering to look at any context..

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:18 pm

CPrice91 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:23 pm
JimboCat wrote:

Yeah, a lot of the NDSU fans did seem to do a good job of twisting Choate's words. I can see being annoyed at the FCOA thing, but there were a lot of people who told me they were angry that Choate had said "NDSU shouldn't have homefield advantage."

I was perplexed for awhile - maybe I missed something in the media leading up to the game? Then I realized they most likely meant when Choate was joking at the beginning of an interview that he would petition for a neutral site game. Either some really green-shaded glasses there, or they're just not bothering to look at any context..
Well apparently they feel BAD about their advantages and it's hard to gloat about them when the playing field isn't level, UNLESS someone brings it up! :D

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:47 pm

I definitely disagree with Choate on having neutral sites for the semi-finals. Not sure if he was kidding with that or not, but I think having any games at neutral sites in college football is an atrocity, especially when they play games at Jerry World, Indy Dome, Georgia Dome, the dome in Phoenix...any dome. The Rose Bowl and national title game being the exceptions. College games lose a lot of atmosphere when you do that.

As for Choate complaining(?) about FCOA, yeah he should've picked another way and another day to bring that up. He's right that the season begins to lose drama when you already know who's going to win every year. This season was fun up until NDSU won and MSU had to go there to play. I mean who didn't know the season was over after NDSU beat Illinois St.? James Madison might be good enough to give them a game or even beat them. If NDSU used that a motivator, then that's big indication of them getting bored. I'm a Laker' fan and I recall when they were winning a lot, that I didn't get much of a thrill about winning another championship. I think they went to The Finals 9 times in 11 years and it got pretty ho-hum. I suppose if someone was saying the Lakers had an unfair advantage, then I'd be more interested in winning another title.

MSU did worse, statistically, against NDSU this year. Not much, but worse. The eye test was much better, however, with the FF/FR by Benson being the play that made that so. Down 29-14 (and the same earlier when it was 7-7 and even at 14-7), you felt like a stop and get the ball back and score, then lets see how NDSU responds. MSU got them in a 3rd and 5 and I admit, I had visions of a comeback, but right on cue they hit another long TD. Those three plays were real killer, but I imagine that NDSU probably would've scored on at least two of those drives. Last year's game was over before halftime. The TD that cut it to 29-14 in the third gave MSU a glimmer of hope.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BobcatOninetails
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatOninetails » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:59 pm

As I really don’t see another thread to comment about this, am I alone in thinking that we need a true OC. I just think MM is in over his head a bit. Along with that if we need TA to touch the ball on offense next year, we aren’t on the next level. We won 3-4 without him running the ball. Against great competition. Time to let the kid show that he is the best defensive player in the FCS. He won’t get another chance.

"Success is simple. Do what's right, the right way, at the right time." - Arnold H. Glasgow

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:02 pm

BobcatOninetails wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:59 pm
As I really don’t see another thread to comment about this, am I alone in thinking that we need a true OC. I just think MM is in over his head a bit. Along with that if we need TA to touch the ball on offense next year, we aren’t on the next level. We won 3-4 without him running the ball. Against great competition. Time to let the kid show that he is the best defensive player in the FCS. He won’t get another chance.
Are you alone? I believe you're about to find out. :wink:

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber