Players Gone from 2019 team

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Players Gone from 2019 team

Post by Catsrgrood » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:20 am

The Cats have lost some good players each year, but this is definitely the biggest class/most experience they’ve lost in one year in quite a while.
There are multiple 3-4 year starters/contributors listed here.
Currently 38 kids signed on to join the Cats next year with 32 departures:

Seniors (17):
Jason Scrempos- DL
Marcus Ferriter- DL
Derek Marks- DL
Bryce Sterk- DL
Josh Hill- LB
Walker Cozzie- LB
Brayden Konkol- S
Jojo Henderson- S
Jahque Alleyne- S
Brian Campbell- S
Damien Washington- CB
Mitch Brott- OL
Kevin Kassis- WR
Travis Jonsen- WR
Logan Jones- RB
Jered Padmos- P
Tristan Bailey- K

Transfers (9):
Travis Yates-DL (entered portal mid season)
Ruben Beltran- QB
Ryan Barkley- OL
Hudson Klundt-OL
Karl Tucker- RB
Tyrel Burgess- RB/WR
Ty’Rhae Gibson- CB
Ty’Rese Gibson- CB
Elijah King- DB

Retired/other (6):
Keaton Anderson- DB
Logan Gilliard
Ethan Ormes-OL
Jack Galt-LB
Logan MacDonald- LS
Caleb Mancini-K

I’ll try to keep track as I can, but if the list changes and I haven’t updated, just comment on here and I’ll update this first post.
Last edited by Catsrgrood on Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Catsrgrood

Re: Players Gone from 2019 team

Post by Catsrgrood » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:23 am

I think the glaring issue here is at Safety. We’re losing 4 of our top 5 guys at that position, Okada being the lone returner with meaningful playing time.

Next up I’d say is D line. Those are some major contributors that are seniors, so I’d hope that there are some young guys ready to step in, but a transfer or two to solidify the group certainly won’t hurt.

LB should be a strength with who’s returning and Daly leading that group.

Corner should be good too with Filer and Thomas coming back with a whole group of young guys that got some playing time this year right behind them.

On the offensive line, Brott is a huge loss, but it helps that he’s the only loss. There should be enough in that group to help minimize his loss.

We’re losing a couple of great receivers, but I think there are some guys ready to go in that position too.

RB should be fine, Jones had a great year, but with Ifanse back and the continued progression of Sumner, Perry and Hosey, they should be good.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:47 pm

We will certainly miss those seniors and many of them will be very hard to replace without some drop off. However I think only about 4 of them are 5th year seniors and next year on into the future there will be more and more 5th year seniors and that added year usually makes a measurable difference in size and development.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:26 pm

There are (I think - didn't take time to look it up) at least 4 players on the list that played 1 or 2 years after transferring to MSU. While we haven't had success with every transfer, I think Coach Coach will continue to seek good transfers to fill what the coaching staff identifies as holes. I think our current staff gets more players into games to gain experience than in the past and makes great/wise/judicious use of the new redshirt rule to help in the development of the young players and to help the team when and where it needs it.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:31 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:25 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:23 am
I think the glaring issue here is at Safety. We’re losing 4 of our top 5 guys at that position, Okada being the lone returner with meaningful playing time.

Next up I’d say is D line. Those are some major contributors that are seniors, so I’d hope that there are some young guys ready to step in, but a transfer or two to solidify the group certainly won’t hurt.

Corner should be good too with Filer and Thomas coming back with a whole group of young guys that got some playing time this year right behind them.

On the offensive line, Brott is a huge loss, but it helps that he’s the only loss. There should be enough in that group to help minimize his loss.

We’re losing a couple of great receivers, but I think there are some guys ready to go in that position too.

RB should be fine, Jones had a great year, but with Ifanse back and the continued progression of Sumner, Perry and Hosey, they should be good.
Safety is going to take a huge hit, but equal is the DL we lose a ton on the DL and that's going to be real hard to replace. While we may not lose a ton on the OL, if this weeks game has shown anything we need more bigger, better, faster and stronger lineman or we've peaked as a team.

Also add Chase Benson to your list, he's a senior.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:32 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:25 pm
Catsrgrood wrote:

Safety is going to take a huge hit, but equal is the DL we lose a ton on the DL and that's going to be real hard to replace. While we may not lose a ton on the OL, if this weeks game has shown anything we need more bigger, better, faster and stronger lineman or we've peaked as a team.

Chase Benson is not a senior. He is a redshirt Junior.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:26 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:32 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:25 pm
Catsrgrood wrote:

Chase Benson is not a senior. He is a redshirt Junior.
My bad, I didn't realize he ever redshirted.

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:14 am

Does anyone know what happened to Michael Jobman? I know he was competing at the LB spot and was playing last year and early this year. Did he get hurt?

With Oreilly, Andersen, Askelson gets healthy, Hardy played very well when Troy was out. You also have Kanow, and Choate got special teams experience, I feel like our LB position is pretty deep, to the point of being a bit of a logjam. Jobman is listed at 6'5", 241 could be moved to the buck? Kyle Finch is another returner that could see more time at the DE.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:22 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:14 am
Does anyone know what happened to Michael Jobman? I know he was competing at the LB spot and was playing last year and early this year. Did he get hurt?

With Oreilly, Andersen, Askelson gets healthy, Hardy played very well when Troy was out. You also have Kanow, and Choate got special teams experience, I feel like our LB position is pretty deep, to the point of being a bit of a logjam. Jobman is listed at 6'5", 241 could be moved to the buck? Kyle Finch is another returner that could see more time at the DE.
Jobman started the Cal Poly game and played really well (he was actually having a very good junior campaign) but got dinged up late. I think he had a knee sprain that held him out almost a month. He then returned for the final few games of the regular season but wasn't really healthy to be as productive as his first half of the season. Michael really improved his upper body heading into his 4th year in the program and it showed in his play around the line of scrimmage. He wasn't getting bullied anymore and finally making some plays in the backfield. I would say Michael could be a candidate to get time at strong-side end possibly next year. It'll be interesting to see where the coaches move guys around next year.

Another kid MSU needs to get something out of is Tadan Gilman. This kid was so good coming out of high school and its been surprising to see him only be a special teamer so far in his career. Personally, I think he should get a look at strong safety.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:08 am

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:33 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:08 am
Best of luck Ruben. We appreciate the time you put in at MSU! Hope you get a chance to keep playing at your next stop!

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:39 pm

Not to diminish any of the other players but the two graduating seniors I think will be missed the most are Brott and Konkol. Those are two guys who always brought their "A" game and played with attitude. Talented guys who seemed to play above their apparent skill set.

Congrats to all these seniors on an exceptional season.

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:06 pm

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:57 pm

Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:06 pm
Good luck to Ryan. Barkley was going to face stiff competition this spring from a talented redshirt freshman class.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:12 pm

I thought he’d be in the mix this year. But we have plenty of depth.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Other cat
New Recruit

Post by Other cat » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:59 am

That stinks. Ryan is a great kid I wish him the best. That is one more kid from the class of 18. That was a top recruiting class who is left???

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:08 am

if that is your best shot, stay on the porch.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Other cat
New Recruit

Post by Other cat » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:30 am

Don't get what that's about it just seems like a lot of kids from that class are gone or have transferred. Relax!!

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:40 am

Yeah surprised he is leaving given he was the primary backup at LT. Maybe it has nothing to do with PT.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN