Can we be James Madison?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Can we be James Madison?

Post by Long Time Cat » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:10 am

I think our next goal should be to be the JMU of the Big Sky. Dominate the rest of the conference, get the #2 seed and get to play the Bison on a neutral site, Frisco.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Can we be James Madison?

Post by aucat » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:15 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:10 am
I think our next goal should be to be the JMU of the Big Sky. Dominate the rest of the conference, get the #2 seed and get to play the Bison on a neutral site, Frisco.
I agree with you 100% and made a similar post. If we had taken care of business at UND and Sac State, it would have happened this year perhaps

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:27 am

+1

I pretty much just posted the same thing (in so many words) in another thread.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Bocephus

Post by Bocephus » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:41 am

These coaches and players have to be hungry next year. Things to still check off the list.
Big Sky Championship and auto bid
Top 2 Seed and home field throughout
At the very least getting to the chipper and a chance to slay the giant outside of fargo metrapark

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:34 pm

About the best we can hope for in the foreseeable future is to be on the other side of the bracket from NDSU to have our best chance to get to the chipper. But don't kid yourself, while it is better than playing at Fargo any team that has to play NDSU at Frisco field is hardly playing on a neutral site. Being there once a year for a decade has them feeling very comfortable and at home there. Top that off with their experience in how to handle the time between semis and chipper and the numbers of their fans that make the trip.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

2011BisonAlumni
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2011BisonAlumni » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:40 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
I honestly do not think the outcome would have been much different had the game been played in Bozeman yesterday. The talent level between those two teams were night and day.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:47 pm

2011BisonAlumni wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:40 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
I honestly do not think the outcome would have been much different had the game been played in Bozeman yesterday. The talent level between those two teams were night and day.
So @2011BisonAlumni, what is your prediction against James Madison?

2011BisonAlumni
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2011BisonAlumni » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:53 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:47 pm
2011BisonAlumni wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
So @2011BisonAlumni, what is your prediction against James Madison?
Toss up. JMU is very good. I think NDSU is more talented, but the experience level of JMU certainly can't be ignored.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:04 pm

We can't have letdown games like UND. But it's going to be extremely hard to get a 2 seed, because JMU isn't going to slide any time soon. We could go 10-1 next year but so will JMU and therefore we won't get the 2 seed.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Clinton T
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Clinton T » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:13 pm

2011BisonAlumni wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
I don't think the outcome (MSU losing) would have been different, but I think you haven't been paying attention if you don't think we aren't substantially better on our home field. The score would have definitely been closer. I do agree with you in terms of the level of talent. Definitely noticable to even the most casual of observers.

Bocephus

Post by Bocephus » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:23 am

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:04 pm
We can't have letdown games like UND. But it's going to be extremely hard to get a 2 seed, because JMU isn't going to slide any time soon. We could go 10-1 next year but so will JMU and therefore we won't get the 2 seed.
You never know what might happen, as long as the Cats position themselves at #3, any minor hiccup by JMU would have us leapfrog them.

I’m guessing preseason polls will have us at #4

Long Time Cat

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:49 am

Bocephus wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:23 am
CelticCat wrote:
You never know what might happen, as long as the Cats position themselves at #3, any minor hiccup by JMU would have us leapfrog them.

It almost makes me sick to say this, but I will not be shocked if the griz are ranked higher than us in the preseason poll. We will definitely be top 8 but not sure where in the top 8.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:06 pm

It doesn’t matter where MSU is ranked at start of the season. MSU, or any BSC team, needs to at least go 10-1. If 11-0, then it’ll be a top two seed. If 10-1, it needs JMU to lose to No. Carolina. Both 10-1 would put MSU at #2 at least due to SOS. Anything under 10-1 and almost no way to get a top 2.

A top two seed should put MSU in the finals, but probably against NDSU, who would probably win.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:09 pm

I agree with all the above. I also feel we need to go toe to toe with NDSU in recruiting and put more recruiting emphasis on that area of the Midwest. Some big boys there and we have had good luck with players from that area.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:27 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:09 pm
I agree with all the above. I also feel we need to go toe to toe with NDSU in recruiting and put more recruiting emphasis on that area of the Midwest. Some big boys there and we have had good luck with players from that area.
What areas would you want us to sacrifice in order to recruit the Midwest?

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:29 pm

CelticCat wrote:
If MSU has a strong showing against Utah and has decisive victories against our toughest league opponents it could happen. All it would take is for JMU to have a close call or two.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:17 pm

Isn't Lewis Kidd a Minnesota high school grad? Must have recruited there at some time.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:51 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:49 am
Bocephus wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

It almost makes me sick to say this, but I will not be shocked if the griz are ranked higher than us in the preseason poll. We will definitely be top 8 but not sure where in the top 8.
I will be shocked if MSU is lower than UM. We advanced further than them AND we DOMINATED THEM IN THE LAST REGULAR SEASON GAME. Any voter who places them ahead of us should have their voting privileges taken away.

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:55 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:51 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:49 am
Bocephus wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

I will be shocked if MSU is lower than UM. We advanced further than them AND we DOMINATED THEM IN THE LAST REGULAR SEASON GAME. Any voter who places them ahead of us should have their voting privileges taken away.
On top of that you could argue that UM's 3 best players, Sneed, Olson, Sims are all graduating. Not true for MSU. Troy will be back, Brott gone and then good luck picking the 3rd. Sterk, Jonsen, Konkol, Infanse later in the season would all be in the conversation. Also, UM is graduating 2 of their best and experienced Oline players. A weakness gets worse. Especially if the new QB isn't mobile like Sneed.

I'm guessing we start out in the 4-6 range. After the top 2, SDSU got hit with the injury bug but will be ranked high, Weber returns Josh Davis, Constantine, Shaheed, and few of their def stars. Thomson, Dotson will be back for Sac state but after their finish im not sure any writer would vote them above the Cats. Really, EWU will get some love so there could potentially be 4-5 BSC teams in the top 15. So complete shot in the dark:

1. NDSU
2. JMU
3. SDSU
4. Weber St
5. Montana St

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:33 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:27 pm
superbobcat wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:09 pm
What areas would you want us to sacrifice in order to recruit the Midwest?
We have been there before, we extended to Florida and that has yet to pay huge dividends. I don’t know if we have to sacrifice but just give a greater effort. I think Minnesota and Wisconsin fit us like Texas does.