Congrats to NDSU and Next Steps

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Congrats to NDSU and Next Steps

Post by arvcat2 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:05 pm

A big next step would be - prioritize the indoor facility all day every day. Taking the human element (coaches) out of the equation, being able to practice without the Bozeman crappy weather element in March, April, August (forest fire smoke chances), November & December (playoffs permitting) will attract higher level talent & facilitate productive practices.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:33 am

arvcat2 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:05 pm
A big next step would be - prioritize the indoor facility all day every day. Taking the human element (coaches) out of the equation, being able to practice without the Bozeman crappy weather element in March, April, August (forest fire smoke chances), November & December (playoffs permitting) will attract higher level talent & facilitate productive practices.
I totally agree. Almost all out-of-state recruits, about half the team, come from better weather. As often as it is mentioned by the guys that come here and stick it out, I have to believe it’s a big factor with players who do not come here. Playing two or three games a year in cold or snowy weather isn’t that big a deal. But getting up to go to practice every day or to strength and conditioning or to class in the winter is a big deal. Lots of people live in tornado or flood or hurricane or earthquake country and just shake it off — but winter weather is the one thing that causes people to just up and move. (I know, I did it myself and it’s the best thing I ever did). The other facilities expansion that is currently being done is important and will be good for all sports, but so would have been an indoor practice facility. I just have to believe that assuring a recruit from anywhere (even Montana) that they would be practicing in a comfy indoor facility would be playing a very strong card in the recruiting game.

nanacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by nanacat » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:05 am

So isn't this in the short term plan? I agree it should be. They must be able to handle playing out in the elements but being able to get inside to practice when it's nasty outside would be a huge benefit.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:50 am

We just finished raising $18 million for the football complex which hasn't even broke ground yet, and is a 16 month project. It's gonna be a while before we start raising money for the indoor facility, let alone start building it.

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:36 am

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:50 am
We just finished raising $18 million for the football complex which hasn't even broke ground yet, and is a 16 month project. It's gonna be a while before we start raising money for the indoor facility, let alone start building it.
Agreed, everybody is excited about the program and wants this stuff now (myself included), but realistically we’re not looking at the next phase for another 5-6 years at best.

I’m sure they’re taking donations now and maybe working on a few things in the background, but they’re not going to make any big, public push for fundraising until the operations building is up. At that point if all goes well it’ll probably take 2, 3, maybe 4 years to fundraise, then another year and a half to build.

This athletic plan is going to take patience. It’s exciting, but nothing about it will be immediate.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:03 am

Catsrgrood wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:36 am
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:50 am
Agreed, everybody is excited about the program and wants this stuff now (myself included), but realistically we’re not looking at the next phase for another 5-6 years at best.

I’m sure they’re taking donations now and maybe working on a few things in the background, but they’re not going to make any big, public push for fundraising until the operations building is up. At that point if all goes well it’ll probably take 2, 3, maybe 4 years to fundraise, then another year and a half to build.

This athletic plan is going to take patience. It’s exciting, but nothing about it will be immediate.
Unless more than a few hundred of the Bobcat faithful want to open the checkbook. It's great to complain about the pace of multi million dollar projects, but when your donor list is only a few hundred people, yeah it's going to take awhile. But we've beat that horse before.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:27 am

Loved our corners and safeties this year, but we need to get more athletic if we want to complete. #1 is there for 3 more years? That's scary!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:36 am

Clinton T wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:24 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:51 pm
Keep building the best lines possible. Everything else falls into place after that. Sure...easy to just say "find an NFL caliber QB" but they don't exactly fall from trees. Also, Case Cookus is a NFL caliber QB and he played on a bad NAU team this year. I'm excited we got McKay to compete with Rovig this spring but Choate just needs to stay the course with building and developing this team from the middle-out. NDSU has multiple All-Americans on the offensive and defensive lines every year. That is something the Bobcats can definitely strive for.

Oh...and guess how our buddy to the West built his team's for success during the 2000's? Just saying it doesn't have to be complicated guys.
How do we get to the point where we are landing multiple All-Americans on our offensive and defensive fronts? You seem to have a pretty good grasp on the realities of college ball and recruiting and with that said, what do you think the timeline looks like before we achieve what the Bison have on the lines? Is it realistic to expect we can have that level of success in recruitment?

On a related note, I have always wondered if NDSU actually recruits significantly better than anyone else in the FCS. Another poster alluded to it above when talking about quarterbacks (EWU and NDSU always seem to have great QBs)...is their coaching and development such that it makes it appear as they are recruiting absolute dudes at every position every year?
Oh I think they do recruit better up front. We're getting closer though and our strength and conditioning and nutrition programs are all getting better. New facility will also help in that regard.
Last edited by WalkOn79 on Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:42 am

Clinton T wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:33 pm
utucats wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:26 pm
Simple, we continue doing what we are doing. We have our own facilities about to be upgraded and we have a coach who has made us better every season. First trip to the semis and 2nd trip to Frisco.

We are closing the gap, admittedly not as much as I’d hoped but we are getting better every season.

If I’d have told anyone in August that we play in the semis I think we’d all take it. We need to try and not get to low over this one and remember all the great things this program is accomplishing.

First semi appearance since 84. A lot of great players and coaches couldn’t accomplish what this team did this year.
We are definitely closing the gap - our improvement each year is a great indicator of our progress. I feel that even at our current rate of improvement, we still have quite a ways to go to even sniff the bar NDSU has set. Do you feel four years a realistic timeline to expect our program to be in a place where we will land top recruits and spend most of our time ranked in the top five?
Do you mean 4 more years? I think we're very close now.

Clinton T

Post by Clinton T » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:18 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:42 am
Clinton T wrote:
utucats wrote:
Simple, we continue doing what we are doing. We have our own facilities about to be upgraded and we have a coach who has made us better every season. First trip to the semis and 2nd trip to Frisco.

We are closing the gap, admittedly not as much as I’d hoped but we are getting better every season.

If I’d have told anyone in August that we play in the semis I think we’d all take it. We need to try and not get to low over this one and remember all the great things this program is accomplishing.

First semi appearance since 84. A lot of great players and coaches couldn’t accomplish what this team did this year.
We are definitely closing the gap - our improvement each year is a great indicator of our progress. I feel that even at our current rate of improvement, we still have quite a ways to go to even sniff the bar NDSU has set. Do you feel four years a realistic timeline to expect our program to be in a place where we will land top recruits and spend most of our time ranked in the top five?
Yes, I meant four more years. I hope we are as close now as you think, but as a Vikings and Cats fan, it is in my nature to be pessimistic. We aren't even the top team in our conference.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:21 pm

Clinton T wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:18 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Clinton T wrote:
utucats wrote:

Yes, I meant four more years. I hope we are as close now as you think, but as a Vikings and Cats fan, it is in my nature to be pessimistic. We aren't even the top team in our conference.
Oh I agree with being a miles away from NDSU and JMU. But consistently in the top 5 is not very far off.

Clinton T

Post by Clinton T » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:26 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:21 pm
Clinton T wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
Clinton T wrote:
utucats wrote:

Oh I agree with being a miles away from NDSU and JMU. But consistently in the top 5 is not very far off.
I hope you are right my friend!!! EWU, Montana, Weber St. on the road next year will be an indicator of our ability to handle lofty expectations.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:26 pm

Clinton T wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
Clinton T wrote:
utucats wrote:

Who's better in our conference?

I know the record didn't play out this way, but I think this year's MSU team at their best was better than anybody else in the conference.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:00 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:26 pm
Clinton T wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
Clinton T wrote:
utucats wrote:

I know the record didn't play out this way, but I think this year's MSU team at their best was better than anybody else in the conference.
Especially at the end of the year. Who was better? Weber had a good defense but really no offense. We would have held them to 7 points or less. We know we were 34 points better than the griz and Sac State was not very good the last 3-4 weeks of the year.

bcats

Post by bcats » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:02 pm

Facilities will always improve recruiting. Indoor practice facility would probably help the most with recruiting as others have said. NDSU flat out recruits better athletes and those guys know they are playing for a winner. I don’t think the Fargo Dome is an advantage over Bobcat Stadium in the slightest however. We have a top 5 stadium and game day experience. NDSU has nicer day to day operation facilities but we are upgrading now and I’m sure they will be fantastic. It really comes down to the indoor facility and being able to draw in some of those faster Florida, Texas, California kids. The Full Cost would be great as well but would probably be the last thing the Board of Regents would ever approve.

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jimmy V

Just my opinion-- Byron Stulc

Lydell
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Lydell » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:33 pm

Everybody keeps talking about the indoor practice facility. I seem to remember a recent post saying that Costello is now calling phase 2 to be the eastside stands. That puts indoor facility to #3?

1 - Can anyone confirm this?

2 - I'd like to know what Choate thinks about that prioritization.

I sit in the east stands and I don't have a problem with them. If we need the "indoor" to recruit the sunbelt kids, then I'm all for it being built ahead of the east stands. Choate is a great recruiter. We need to maximize his strength.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:19 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:00 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:26 pm
Clinton T wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
Clinton T wrote:
utucats wrote:

Especially at the end of the year. Who was better? Weber had a good defense but really no offense. We would have held them to 7 points or less. We know we were 34 points better than the griz and Sac State was not very good the last 3-4 weeks of the year.
MSU was without a doubt the best team in the Big Sky at the end of the year. Not by a gigantic amount, but clearly the best team. MSU will get better in the off-season. It'll be a bigger, stronger, faster version of what was out there this year. Choate is using the right methods to improve his team, including the depth that's been built. The biggest hit is at safety, but that will get cleaned up with one simple move. DT is next, but it's not a huge void. You could see transfers come in at DT and S this spring/summer, but it's a solid looking group across the board and they've shown a great commitment to work.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:17 am

As fans...best thing we can do is keep opening the checkbook....we need to be sure our facilities are on par or better than any other FCS program...BAC is next...hopefully the indoor next...but we'll see...great time to be a Bobcat!

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:17 am

Clinton T wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
Clinton T wrote:
utucats wrote:

Look at the progress Choate has made in his first 4 years. I expect will spend the majority of the coming years in the top 5.

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:56 am

Lydell wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:33 pm
Everybody keeps talking about the indoor practice facility. I seem to remember a recent post saying that Costello is now calling phase 2 to be the eastside stands. That puts indoor facility to #3?

1 - Can anyone confirm this?

2 - I'd like to know what Choate thinks about that prioritization.

I sit in the east stands and I don't have a problem with them. If we need the "indoor" to recruit the sunbelt kids, then I'm all for it being built ahead of the east stands. Choate is a great recruiter. We need to maximize his strength.
I assume the east side rebuild/remodel will include suites.
I thought that suites earn more $$ per square foot than the stands do. We need these suites to get that revenue stream going.