Next Year

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

utucats
Member # Retired

Re: Next Year

Post by utucats » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:34 am

onceacat wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:04 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:47 pm
Weber, EWU, and montana all on the road next season. Gonna be tough to repeat what we did in 2019.
https://msubobcats.com/sports/football/schedule/2020
If Choate has (re)built what most posters think he has (I.e. a Top 4 program has hat is ready o take the next step to challenge NDSU and JMU) that shouldn’t be much of a problem.

If he hasn’t rebuilt hat, then yes, those road games are going to be really tough.

It should be a good measuring stick.
I don’t know about rebuilt? Unless you are taking from the 80s. We were swimming in waters that this program hasn’t been in for decades.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:55 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Weber, EWU, and montana all on the road next season. Gonna be tough to repeat what we did in 2019.
You sound sure about that. What makes you so sure? Are those teams all going to improve or is MSU have some unknown problems? Was the UM win a fluke?

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:48 am

Going into this year I said that the Defense was our biggest ?. With the loss of Tucker Yates, Zach Wright, Tyrone Fa’Anono, & Grant Collins, combined with a new Defensive Coordinator…..I was concerned. Certainly the 2019 Bobcats Defense was stellar. However, because of losses on the defensive side of the ball it will again be somewhat of a ‘reloading’ year which always bring some concern. With how Kane Ioane made things work this year I’m not as concerned as last year.

The schedule next year, especially our road schedule as others have pointed out, will be particularly challenging. I’m planning on making it to @Utah……hope it’s a night game. I was at the CATS game vs Utah in 2011 and although we didn’t come out with a win, it was a great game experience.

I believe next year will be the 3rd year in a row in which we’ve only lost 1 Senior on the OL. Two years ago we lost LT Dylan Mahoney (Caleb Gillis was hurt for most of the year), last year we lost center Alex Neale, this year we lose RT Mitch Brott. Granted losing a player like Mitch Brott at LT will hurt, but we have an amazing amount of player starts returning on the OL…..I have no doubt that our running dominance will continue in 2020.

Offensively I think how the QB situation plays out will be the biggest ?....AGAIN. Rovig came on strong the last part of 2019….can he continue? This year the CATS ended the season near the bottom of the BSC with ~170 passing yards/game, and Rovig was 9th in Pass Efficiency at 135.1, which with the way we run the ball if that could just get up to the 140+ range would be a big help. With the way Rovig performed late in the season I believe he will take another step forward. Will McKay come in and take over as the starter? Will it ‘all come together’ for Casey Bauman? Time will tell, but it is fair to say that just like the last 4 years, next year there will likely be a ? at QB to start the season.

A quick review of BSC teams roster:
*WSU only has 11 Seniors graduating and their QB Constantine is coming back
*um has 17 Seniors graduating and lose their starting QB Sneed
*SSU has 19 Seniors graduating and their QB Thompson is coming back
*EWU has 21 Seniors graduating and their QB Barriere is coming back
**the CATS have 18 Seniors graduating and we aren’t losing our starting QB, losing Jonsen will be felt though.

Looking forward to MSU’s 2020 season…GO CATS!

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:35 am

utucats wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:34 am
onceacat wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
If Choate has (re)built what most posters think he has (I.e. a Top 4 program has hat is ready o take the next step to challenge NDSU and JMU) that shouldn’t be much of a problem.

If he hasn’t rebuilt hat, then yes, those road games are going to be really tough.

I don’t know about rebuilt? Unless you are taking from the 80s. We were swimming in waters that this program hasn’t been in for decades.
The Cats lost a total of 8 conference games over 5 seasons earlier this decade. If we keep the conference losses to between 1 and 2, I’d say we are back to swimming in the waters we are accustomed to.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:49 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:55 am
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
You sound sure about that. What makes you so sure? Are those teams all going to improve or is MSU have some unknown problems? Was the UM win a fluke?
Those three schools are tough at home against anybody in any season. I'm not saying we can't I'm just saying it'll be tough.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:07 am

The MICKSTER wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:48 am
Going into this year I said that the Defense was our biggest ?. With the loss of Tucker Yates, Zach Wright, Tyrone Fa’Anono, & Grant Collins, combined with a new Defensive Coordinator…..I was concerned. Certainly the 2019 Bobcats Defense was stellar. However, because of losses on the defensive side of the ball it will again be somewhat of a ‘reloading’ year which always bring some concern. With how Kane Ioane made things work this year I’m not as concerned as last year.

The schedule next year, especially our road schedule as others have pointed out, will be particularly challenging. I’m planning on making it to @Utah……hope it’s a night game. I was at the CATS game vs Utah in 2011 and although we didn’t come out with a win, it was a great game experience.

I believe next year will be the 3rd year in a row in which we’ve only lost 1 Senior on the OL. Two years ago we lost LT Dylan Mahoney (Caleb Gillis was hurt for most of the year), last year we lost center Alex Neale, this year we lose RT Mitch Brott. Granted losing a player like Mitch Brott at LT will hurt, but we have an amazing amount of player starts returning on the OL…..I have no doubt that our running dominance will continue in 2020.

Offensively I think how the QB situation plays out will be the biggest ?....AGAIN. Rovig came on strong the last part of 2019….can he continue? This year the CATS ended the season near the bottom of the BSC with ~170 passing yards/game, and Rovig was 9th in Pass Efficiency at 135.1, which with the way we run the ball if that could just get up to the 140+ range would be a big help. With the way Rovig performed late in the season I believe he will take another step forward. Will McKay come in and take over as the starter? Will it ‘all come together’ for Casey Bauman? Time will tell, but it is fair to say that just like the last 4 years, next year there will likely be a ? at QB to start the season.

A quick review of BSC teams roster:
*WSU only has 11 Seniors graduating and their QB Constantine is coming back
*um has 17 Seniors graduating and lose their starting QB Sneed
*SSU has 19 Seniors graduating and their QB Thompson is coming back
*EWU has 21 Seniors graduating and their QB Barriere is coming back
**the CATS have 18 Seniors graduating and we aren’t losing our starting QB, losing Jonsen will be felt though.

Looking forward to MSU’s 2020 season…GO CATS!
Heard from a friend that Thompson signed a 5 year extension on his contract to play QB.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:53 pm

onceacat wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:35 am
utucats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

The Cats lost a total of 8 conference games over 5 seasons earlier this decade. If we keep the conference losses to between 1 and 2, I’d say we are back to swimming in the waters we are accustomed to.
Shhhhh. We don't talk about those dark days of the early 2010's. Such a waste, those three straight conference championships.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:25 pm

Next Year: 9 - 2
Losses to Utah and BBQ

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:59 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:53 pm
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

Shhhhh. We don't talk about those dark days of the early 2010's. Such a waste, those three straight conference championships.
Nah, we can talk about those 3 straight shared conference championships. Can we also acknowledge the ass kicking we took against most every good program we faced? How about that #1 ranking that turned into getting dominated at home by the griz, did that happen? How about having McGhee and never getting to the semis?

Choate has done in 4 years what no staff since the 80s has accomplished. I know that admitting being wrong isn’t fun but when reality is staring you straight in the face.

Actually, maybe I’m wrong. I’m just a random Cats fan posting on social media. I wonder what the experts think? Simple test to prove me wrong. List a former Cats Head Coach and his current coaching title to see what those in the know think of our former coaches. Surely a back to back to back conference championship level coach is running a program somewhere.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:42 pm

wapiti wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:25 pm
Losses to Utah and BBQ
Huh? We won't lose at the red rag next year. But I think we will lose the Weber next year. 9 and 2 sounds good

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:53 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:42 pm
wapiti wrote:
Losses to Utah and BBQ
Huh? We won't lose at the red rag next year. But I think we will lose the Weber next year. 9 and 2 sounds good
Ya I don’t see us losing to EWU, they just lose too much especially on offense with graduation. They lose their starting RB, all 5 OL, TE and a starting WR. Also, we’ll have 2 weeks to prepare for them, since we play them after our bye week, which will help.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:30 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:42 pm
wapiti wrote:
Losses to Utah and BBQ

?

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by canyoncat » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:32 pm

BBQ is Weber

GO CATS!!!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:50 pm

canyoncat wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:32 pm
BBQ is Weber
I thought it was an inferno reference. My bad. Still think it will be the toughest BSC game next year.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:56 pm

utucats wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:59 pm
KittieKop wrote:
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

Nah, we can talk about those 3 straight shared conference championships. Can we also acknowledge the ass kicking we took against most every good program we faced? How about that #1 ranking that turned into getting dominated at home by the griz, did that happen? How about having McGhee and never getting to the semis?

Choate has done in 4 years what no staff since the 80s has accomplished. I know that admitting being wrong isn’t fun but when reality is staring you straight in the face.

Actually, maybe I’m wrong. I’m just a random Cats fan posting on social media. I wonder what the experts think? Simple test to prove me wrong. List a former Cats Head Coach and his current coaching title to see what those in the know think of our former coaches. Surely a back to back to back conference championship level coach is running a program somewhere.
You seem incapable of celebrating a successful season without tearing down other people. By “rebuilt” I mean rebuilding a program that lives in the Top 10. I’m very excited that in 4 years, our current staff has returned us to that status. If we throw in a couple of conference championships in the next few years, I’m also going to be thrilled with that. And if this staff, or another, finally improves on that performance and gets us to the chipper, I’ll be even more thrilled.

Unless by “swimming in waters they haven’t been” you mean winning one more game before being embarassed by the finalists. Which you can’t possibly mean.

The Cats are right back to where they’ve been for the better part of the last decade.

Which is awesome. =D^

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:30 am

utucats wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:59 pm
KittieKop wrote:
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

You're way to easy to trigger there sport

Why is it the only way you're capable of celebrating the success that Choate and his staff are having - particularly this year- is by tearing down and denigrating past staffs and coaches? All. The. Time.

We are where we are today because of the steps taken FROM the early 1990's (sorry if you can't remember that far back). In part, each staff has had success because of things the prior left behind. Hysell, Kramer, Ash, Choate. Kramer doesn't have success if Cliff doesn't start turning the ship. Ash doesn't have success without the recruiting and QBC started under Kramer. Choate wouldn't be here or have the success without the stadium improvements, attendance explosion and turn around of the program in the community under Ash. And Choate is forging his own path here and will affect the next coach, whoever that is.

Your hatred is an ugly look. As is your almost creepy man-crush on Choate. You're unnaturally defensive about him, it's a little weird actually.

Tell me, if Choate "gets his ass kicked" the next, say, three years in the playoffs, or misses the playoffs for two years, is that when you turn on him, or what's your trigger for running him down? You obviously have a line in the sand. What if we go to the quarters or semis the next two seasons and, for the fourth straight year, get our asses handed to us by NDSU, you going to be on here complaining about not being able to "take the next step" and campaigning to throw Choate out of town? What's your standard for success, since most of the 2010's was an abject failure in your eyes?

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:27 am

Welp, so much for this thread...

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:32 am

canyoncat wrote:
BBQ is Weber
I'm embarrassed at how long it took me to figure out why Weber would be BBQ.

Funny how when you know a word is pronounced differently, you don't always look at the spelling and correlate from there. The brain is weird.

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:12 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:32 am
canyoncat wrote:
BBQ is Weber

Funny how when you know a word is pronounced differently, you don't always look at the spelling and correlate from there. The brain is weird.
LOL mine too~ Thanx

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by canyoncat » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:32 am

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:12 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:32 am
canyoncat wrote:
BBQ is Weber

Took me a little while to realize who they were talking about over in the Championship Sub Division site when
I first saw the reference.

Anyway back to topic. I think the D-line depends on the development of a true Nose Tackle. Would like to see Areta become that guy and alow Chase Benson to move over to his more natural D-Tackle position.

LOL mine too~ Thanx

GO CATS!!!