Top 4 Team

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Top 4 Team

Post by Bocephus » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:55 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:53 pm
utucats wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:01 pm
I feel bad for the team. After all the great memories they’ve given us this year and they end disappointed. BN can’t keep their crap together, imagine how the staff and players feel after putting in all that work.

Every member of this program deserves a thanks when they get home.
That is one downside to the FCS playoffs. 23 of the best teams in the country end the season with a disappointing loss. Only one team ends the season with a celebration. I’ve often wondered how it affects the psyche of the teams compared to a non-playoff team that perhaps ended their season with a big win.
I actually had that thought too. If we end the season against Albany in some bowl game we would have beaten the griz and trounced Albany.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:14 pm

Bocephus wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:55 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
utucats wrote:
I feel bad for the team. After all the great memories they’ve given us this year and they end disappointed. BN can’t keep their crap together, imagine how the staff and players feel after putting in all that work.

That is one downside to the FCS playoffs. 23 of the best teams in the country end the season with a disappointing loss. Only one team ends the season with a celebration. I’ve often wondered how it affects the psyche of the teams compared to a non-playoff team that perhaps ended their season with a big win.
I actually had that thought too. If we end the season against Albany in some bowl game we would have beaten the griz and trounced Albany.
Seems to work fine for basketball players.

Bocephus

Post by Bocephus » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:18 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:14 pm
Bocephus wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
utucats wrote:

I still like the excitement of playoffs. It’s interesting to consider the alternative.

bcatfan1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bcatfan1 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:19 am

I’d never thought of that aspect before. But that really is true for senior player being able to go out on a win. But for fans (and I assume competitors). The playoff format is still the best!

Some people are a lot like slinkies....... Not really good for much, but it puts a smile on your face to watch them fall down a set of stairs.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:31 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
utucats wrote:

Judging by how the teams in the FBS playoffs that lose keep coming back as the top teams year after year and being better than the non-playoff bowl winners ... it doesn't appear to have a negative impact on them.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:42 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:10 pm
You can tell the energy of this team is way different when they play on the road. I felt like we didn’t have the fire we have been playing with. Amazing season, beat UM, made it to the last 4. Now we start on the north end zone and making this program even better then we were this season. Go Cats!!
Yeah they didn't seem to have to fire and intensity with the energy of a home game. The tackling was very poor as well and that has been a strength so far. It was a great season though and the program just needs to keep building. NDSU has a ton of experience and playing at home sure helps in games like this. It is another good learning experience for that Cats and it will help them keep the bar high to get even better.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:16 am

Bocephus wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:18 pm
onceacat wrote:
Bocephus wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
utucats wrote:

I still like the excitement of playoffs. It’s interesting to consider the alternative.
You’re right about the end of the season however if you view it as specific weekends you still have 50/50 winners/losers. So the first games of FCS playoffs are basically the play in bowls that give us 8 winners and 8 losers. Second week are the 1st round bowls that again give us 8 winners 8 losers. Then it’s the quarter final bowls 4W/4L next semi bowls 2W/2L. And on Jan. 11 we get a champion 1W/1L. Each weekend is 50/50 W/L.
In the FCS a team has the potential of playing more than one post season/bowl game and each successive game has to be earned and with it comes a bit more prestige. Some teams get one post season game/bowl while others get multiple such as the Cats this year who went 2W/1L.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Bocephus

Post by Bocephus » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:17 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:16 am
Bocephus wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Bocephus wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
utucats wrote:

You’re right about the end of the season however if you view it as specific weekends you still have 50/50 winners/losers. So the first games of FCS playoffs are basically the play in bowls that give us 8 winners and 8 losers. Second week are the 1st round bowls that again give us 8 winners 8 losers. Then it’s the quarter final bowls 4W/4L next semi bowls 2W/2L. And on Jan. 11 we get a champion 1W/1L. Each weekend is 50/50 W/L.
In the FCS a team has the potential of playing more than one post season/bowl game and each successive game has to be earned and with it comes a bit more prestige. Some teams get one post season game/bowl while others get multiple such as the Cats this year who went 2W/1L.
Oh sure you had to get all analytical on us :lol: Those are excellent points. I think after the sting of the NDSU game wears off we will all be able to enjoy what was accomplished this season better. Players and coaches too.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:25 am

Bocephus wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:17 am
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:16 am
Bocephus wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Bocephus wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
utucats wrote:

Oh sure you had to get all analytical on us :lol: Those are excellent points. I think after the sting of the NDSU game wears off we will all be able to enjoy what was accomplished this season better. Players and coaches too.
Not sure how anyone could feel bad about it. Started out #12? in the polls (will finish 3/4), preseason #4/5 in the league (finished 3, but arguably best), #5 seed (finished 3/4). Exceeded every expectation put on them. Feel like they’ll do better next year.

Only disappointing loss was to UND.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:43 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
utucats wrote:

I would take ending the season with a beatdown by NDSU in the national semifinals, over a big season ending win in Cat-Griz but no playoffs, any day of the week, and I'm sure (or at least I sure as hell hope) the players and coaches feel the same way. Yes, that loss is gonna sting for awhile, but making a run in the playoffs is infinitely better than missing the postseason, no matter the outcome of the final game of the season.