Unstoppable

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Unstoppable

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:24 pm

Here is the thing, NDSU is damn good. This team is wasting its time playing in the FCS. You have proven that you are legit, move on. I was hoping we would keep this one close, obviously it is a sign we still have a long road ahead of us before we are a dominant team. At least we can walk away from this knowing that Choate will still be our coach. This team had an amazing season. We will only get better. Our day will come.

Punters are people too!!

nanacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Unstoppable

Post by nanacat » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:25 pm

👍

sdsyvie
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by sdsyvie » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:55 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:24 pm
Here is the thing, NDSU is damn good. This team is wasting its time playing in the FCS. You have proven that you are legit, move on. I was hoping we would keep this one close, obviously it is a sign we still have a long road ahead of us before we are a dominant team. At least we can walk away from this knowing that Choate will still be our coach. This team had an amazing season. We will only get better. Our day will come.
It's interesting, because clearly we aren't at there level

But as was said, they are one of the most dominant teams at any level in sports history I have to assume. Definitely have ourselves an elite team, just not quite to that level.

Damn Bison! #foreverabobcat

bcatfan1

Post by bcatfan1 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:59 pm

So true. That is an incredible FCS team in Fargo. They were bigger, faster and stronger at nearly every position. All you can do is just tip the cap to them.

But still a great season by the Cats. Keep moving forward.

Some people are a lot like slinkies....... Not really good for much, but it puts a smile on your face to watch them fall down a set of stairs.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:07 pm

Love seeing us get to the Semifinals. Proud of this team. Streak against UM is a 4, we showed we can win home playoffs game just like NDSU. You get them on the road in the playoffs, and I bet they won’t win.

Punters are people too!!

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:08 pm

They were better in every area of the game. I personally hope the stay in the FCS so we have a benchmark to try to get to. Right now we are nowhere near the category of NDSU, but with how the university is growing and with new facilities, I’m excited to see where MSU can go.

If your left, you aren’t right.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:11 pm

Last year Choate and Company learned a lot from the NDSU game......and we got better.
This year, I expect that we will learn more.....and get better.

Can we get to NDSU's level? Until we have the facilities, full Cost of Attendance, etc......I don't know. But we will get better.

NDSU should go Mountain West, Sun Belt, whatever (I don't think Big 10 will let them in). But they're good enough to compete at the next level.

nanacat

Post by nanacat » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:12 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:07 pm
Love seeing us get to the Semifinals. Proud of this team. Streak against UM is a 4, we showed we can win home playoffs game just like NDSU. You get them on the road in the playoffs, and I bet they won’t win.
Not that it matters, but I wonder what this game would have been like outside in the snow and cold? I'm thinking not like it was at all. I agree about them being on the road in the playoffs. Home is comfy, traveling sucks usually. So proud if this team though. Such a great season. The Bizon are mighty, but the mighty have to fall sometime.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:25 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:11 pm
Last year Choate and Company learned a lot from the NDSU game......and we got better.

Can we get to NDSU's level? Until we have the facilities, full Cost of Attendance, etc......I don't know. But we will get better.

NDSU should go Mountain West, Sun Belt, whatever (I don't think Big 10 will let them in). But they're good enough to compete at the next level.

The thing for me is that it is not just us. The FCS needs the MVC to get better. When teams in their own conference can compete with them and make it so they come into the playoffs having to travel, that is the end of NDSU. It starts with their conference doing its job and unfortunately, their conference is not that good.

Punters are people too!!

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:31 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:25 pm
HelenaCat95 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:11 pm

The thing for me is that it is not just us. The FCS needs the MVC to get better. When teams in their own conference can compete with them and make it so they come into the playoffs having to travel, that is the end of NDSU. It starts with their conference doing its job and unfortunately, their conference is not that good.
Agreed. And I would add that it's not good for the FCS to have this kind of dominance.
Sports and rivalries need true competition to remain relevant and grow. NDSU kind of dominance is not good for FCS football. Other than fans of NDSU and fans of MSU, who wants to watch this? How will FCS football grow when it's a foregone conclusion who the best team is every year?

To a certain extent, FBS is facing the same problem....with the Ohio States, Clemsons, Oklahomas and Alabamas always at the top - who else can compete (besides LSU this year)?

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:36 pm

NDSU is in the right division. They are a small land grant university in a rural state. They have a lot of similar institutions nearby. They just play football better than everyone else. Like it or not, they should be an FCS team.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:40 pm

rivercat wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:36 pm
NDSU is in the right division. They are a small land grant university in a rural state. They have a lot of similar institutions nearby. They just play football better than everyone else. Like it or not, they should be an FCS team.
Exactly this.

nanacat

Post by nanacat » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:43 pm

Is it where they recruit, or how they recruit? This 36 game winning streak is nuts really. How can other schools compete in reality?

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:52 pm

nanacat wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:43 pm
Is it where they recruit, or how they recruit? This 36 game winning streak is nuts really. How can other schools compete in reality?
They do have some recruiting advantages. Neighbos Minnesota and Wisconsin, a population of over 11 million combined, have one FBS university each and no FCS schools. There are a lot of very high FCS caliber football players that need to go out of their home state unless they want to play D2. The best of those kids choose NDSU.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

nanacat

Post by nanacat » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:53 pm

Right, makes sense.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:04 pm

nanacat wrote:
History is replete with "unbeatable" teams/nations/armies. Everyone of them has fallen either through their own hubris, someone else figured it out, or a combination of both. Their day will come. It just wasn't today.

There is a local private high school that recruits its athletes WORLD-wide. They dominate in everything ... until this year, when a local public school, its athlete pool restricted by zoning, figured it out and beat them in the playoffs.

Can we recruit like NDSU? Why not? There are more great athletes than NDSUs roster can hold. We need to show that the value of MSU is better than the alternatives. Then, we can build the program that wins 36 straight and folks will wonder what our secret is.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

nanacat

Post by nanacat » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:08 pm

nevadacat wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:04 pm
nanacat wrote:
History is replete with "unbeatable" teams/nations/armies. Everyone of them has fallen either through their own hubris, someone else figured it out, or a combination of both. Their day will come. It just wasn't today.

There is a local private high school that recruits its athletes WORLD-wide. They dominate in everything ... until this year, when a local public school, its athlete pool restricted by zoning, figured it out and beat them in the playoffs.

Can we recruit like NDSU? Why not? There are more great athletes than NDSUs roster can hold. We need to show that the value of MSU is better than the alternatives. Then, we can build the program that wins 36 straight and folks will wonder what our secret is.
Excellent point!

MinnesotaBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MinnesotaBobcat » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:53 pm

One thing coming that is likely to put a big hurt on NDSU recruiting in the Twin Cities is St. Thomas moving to FCS. They have a history of winning, nice facilities, and donors with deep pockets. I would imagine it would cut their Twin Cities haul of recruits in half.

Hammersmith
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Hammersmith » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:22 pm

MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:53 pm
One thing coming that is likely to put a big hurt on NDSU recruiting in the Twin Cities is St. Thomas moving to FCS. They have a history of winning, nice facilities, and donors with deep pockets. I would imagine it would cut their Twin Cities haul of recruits in half.
Not likely anytime soon. St. Thomas is going non-scholarship in football. And it's not like St. Thomas is moving to DI from DII and just adding a few scholarships. St. Thomas is moving from DIII where there are NO scholarships. Plus, UST has a hockey team that is very competitive and will likely be the priority along with basketball. UST also has major facility upgrades needed as part of the DI move; they basically play basketball in a HS gym. That is a lot of checks they need to write even before they consider scholarship football.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:26 pm

Hammersmith wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:22 pm
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:53 pm
Not likely anytime soon. St. Thomas is going non-scholarship in football. And it's not like St. Thomas is moving to DI from DII and just adding a few scholarships. St. Thomas is moving from DIII where there are NO scholarships. Plus, UST has a hockey team that is very competitive and will likely be the priority along with basketball. UST also has major facility upgrades needed as part of the DI move; they basically play basketball in a HS gym. That is a lot of checks they need to write even before they consider scholarship football.
What about Augustana? Will they be FCS? I imagine they’ll recruit MSP.