Unstoppable

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kwcat
Member # Retired

Re: Unstoppable

Post by kwcat » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:36 am

Everybody seems set on arguing one particular point. It’s not a single point. It is several. Here is one.

https://hechingerreport.org/two-states- ... ucation-2/

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... a-colleges

FCOA is another.
(Some considerations with FCOA) https://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... s-athletes

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -database/

Winning tradition another.

Athlete blood analysis and nutritional assessment by Sanford Health another.
https://www.sanfordhealth.org/medical-s ... tic-health

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Re: Unstoppable

Post by catgrad05 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:55 am

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:05 pm
KittieKop wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:23 am
MSU01 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:38 pm
KittieKop wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:56 pm

Some of y'all may not like it, but if we're looking to raise money off ticket sales, then it's time to charge ALL season ticket holders Bobcat Club fees, EZ holders included. I've had sideline seats for over a decade and paid BC dues even when not required, or bought up to a higher level, gave to all the capital projects. If you want to take another step, and some may take offense to this, the "free rides" for some ticket holders needs to end. When only probably half to 60 percent of your season tickets are paying in, it hurts. And being able to pull in 16,000-19,000 fans for a game, but only several hundred ever contribute to fundraising efforts, MSU is missing out on many, many revenue streams here.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. MSU makes less money on tickets than NDSU because it charges way less across the board than NDSU does, and the discrepancy is far greater in the premium seating areas than for those end zone freeloaders. NDSU charges over $3000 for its most expensive seats - seats which cost $600 this season at MSU including the BC donation. Just 100 of those season tickets sold at each school brings in an extra quarter million dollars in revenue for NDSU. Charging a $25 BC fee for end zone season tickets like NDSU does is a drop in the bucket compared to that, especially when you start to look at thousands of premium tickets instead of this example of 100.

To "solve" a perceived deficiency in ticket revenue by only raising prices on a certain group of fans (shockingly, not your group) when most games do not currently sell out would backfire spectacularly. It would, however, succeed in decreasing attendance by pricing out some of the families who sit in the end zone - families, by the way, who are bringing future MSU students, future MSU alumni, and future Bobcat Club members to those games with their "free ride" tickets you appear to dislike so much.
Do you consider MSU is starting to price out a lot of other families, the sideline ticket holders, by continuing to raise those prices and BC fees, but leave a huge swath of tickets untouched? Not everyone on the sidelines is in $600/ticket seats.

I assume you're an EZ sitter.....$25/seat/yr is going to price people out of the EZ, but raising the "rich people's " tickets by 500% isn't going to drive any of them away?

I'm not saying just the EZ, I'm saying everyone needs to contribute. Everyone paying BC fees and looking at ticket prices. Many people sitting in $20, $50 or $150/game seats also don't have issues dropping $300/day on tailgating supplies and booze for a game, so a ticket fee ain't going to kill them.

How about building booster fees into ALL tickets, not just the season ticket holders? Instead of a $17 walk up ticket, it's $25.

It's funny the solution is always to soak the rich. How about everyone chipping in? Why is it MSU can only get a few hundred people to contribute to capital programs, when they can sell 16,000 tickets to a football game? And it's not that only 500 people can afford an extra $500/yr in their budgets (I know many people gave significantly more than that, but the point is why only 500 people or so?) A $500/yr commitment for 5 years.....find by 2,000 people (neither are huge numbers). That's $5,000,000. That shouldn't be hard. Neither is 5,000 people paying $25/yr/seat in booster fees.
Raising prices on tickets will always drive some people away, although if there's enough excess demand out there to replace those people with new customers then from MSU's perspective they're still coming out ahead. No, of course I don't believe a 500% increase should happen on anyone. But a lot of this thread seems to be about how we can make ourselves more like NDSU in terms of Bobcat Club revenue and FCOA, so I think it's important to point out the massive gulf that exists now between the two schools.

I'm in Section 106 and have been for many years. I can afford our two seats and am happy to contribute, but there are plenty of folks out there for whom the less expensive end zone seats are their only way to be able to watch MSU football in person. Perhaps some of those folks were priced out of the sideline seats, but it's great that they still have a viable option available to still attend the games.

IMO, we should be encouraging as many people to come to these games as possible (hence why the playoff ticket donations were so incredibly awesome) instead of treating ticket sales as purely a revenue generator for the Bobcat Club. Would a $20 or $25 fee per season ticket be a big deal? No, probably not. But I think MSU knows that they need to be careful and balance the demand for tickets with the supply, and not turn off people who are there to enjoy a Saturday afternoon with the family and have no clue what the Bobcat Club is or does. The people running MSU athletics are smart and I'm sure they've done the math in their ticket pricing to maximize revenues while not harming attendance numbers.

I’ve been a season ticket holder since the mid 2000’s. I can that The increases to those of us on the sunny side have affected my ticket purchases. I use to own 5 tickets each year as the prices continue to go up I take fewer and fewer friends to the games with my own tickets. Last year i went down to three tickets, one for me and my girlfriend and take one friend with us.

Now I’m not complaining about this because I have the thought process of the money for the booster club is helping the program more than those two tickets where and also allows someone else to purchase those tickets and the booster level that goes with it. I keep my current seats because I am paying a premium for the better view than the end zone. However if there are season ticket holders that are complaining about what other “levels” are I’m don’t agree, there should definitely be different levels of contributing for different levels of seats. That being said if there is an increase it should be equal across the board and not a higher percentage for some and less for others