Any FCS recruiting rankings?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Any FCS recruiting rankings?

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:48 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:46 pm
aucat wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:07 pm
I know it's difficult compared to getting info on FBS, but when I see both Choate and Hauk basically say in so many words "we owned the state," somebody is not telling it "like it is." Frankly, I usually just don't pay much attention to recruiting news until signing day. So are there any experts out there who really have a feel for how we did as compared to other teams in the Big Sky? How we did compared to UM? Any national rankings for FCS?

I guess what got me going was watching Hauk tonight on the news bragging about how well he did.

Colter, do you have any sources for this sort of thing?

Thanks

p.s. READY FOR GAME DAY!!
We talked about the signees for the Cats & the Griz for about 25 minutes in this Big Sky Breakdown:

As stated in that podcast, some of the "feathers in the cap" for in-state recruiting are usually Class AA Offensive and Defensive MVPs, the Gatorade Players of the Year and any kid who did not have previous allegiance to Montana or Montana State. This year is interesting because Carson Rostad was the first junior to win the Montana Gatorade Player of the Year since Dave Dickenson 30 years ago. So it was the first time a signing class had two Gatorade Players of the Year available. One signed with each team.

Another rare factor: the Class AA MVP this year defensively was junior Kenneth Eiden. So he wasn't on the board either.

As far as projecting the rest of the kids -

I was impressed with Asher Croy, Jake D'Agostino and Tommy Mellott while watching the Class AA state title game on the sidelines with Ty Gregorak. But Croy is going to start out at linebacker not running back, D'Agostino is going to start out at DB and not QB and Mellott will begin at QB but is in a very full room. Projecting all three to the next level is very hard.

I also watched McCade O'Reilly as a junior. He projects well and has a few older brothers to show him the ropes of navigating college football. He is a good get for the 'Cats.

For the Bobcats -

Tommy Campbell, DL - he weights 204 pounds. Can he put on the weight? Don't think he was recruited by the Griz.

*Jake D’Agostino, DB - late offer, late commitment - MSU family legacy, not recruited by the Griz

Tommy Mellott, QB - recruited by both schools - MSU recruiting win

McCade O’Reilly, LB - recruited by both schools - MSU recruiting win but a local kid who's brother starts for the 'Cats.

*Conor Reitler, OL - walk-on, project, not recruited by the Griz

*Aaron Richards, OL - walk-on developmental kid, not recruited by Griz

Connor Ryan, DB - Good speed, needs to find a position (don't think it's corner), son of a former Bobcat, not much interest from UM.

Trey Yates, DL - Younger brother of Tucker Yates, no interest from the Griz

So the Bobcats won two battles - O'Reilly, and Mellott although I wouldn't say either one was a war because of O'Reilly's family ties and Mellott's desire to major in engineering.

For the Griz

Asher Croy - A Bozeman kid but not really. He's a Huntley kid who played with fellow UM signee Journey Grimsrud until this season. Croy's father, Guy Croy, the former Huntley head coach who was forced out, played for the Griz. So when Hauck says "It's easy to recruit Bozeman. We've gotten three kids in two years, more than any high school in America", that's not really true. MSU expressed a little interest in Croy. But Montana State did not recruit Griz QB Kris Brown or WR Ryan Simpson at all.

Drew Deck, WR - Not recruited by the Cats.

Journey Grimsrud, DL- Not recruited by the Cats

Jaxon Lee, RB - recruited by both schools when he was at Flint Creek (Drummond/Phillipsburg) and Missoula Sentinel. Griz recruiting win, although Lee grew up as a Montana season ticket holder.

Henry Nuce, DL - this kid doesn'' have social media and I've never spoken to him and had hardly heard of him before signing day. So I don't know if he ever received interest from the Cats.

Guido Ossello, WR - Another late offer, late commit. Richards committed to Montana State last summer so you would think if MSU was recruiting Butte Central, they would've also been recruiting Ossello if they were interested. I do not believe the Cats recruited Ossello.

Carson Rostad, QB - Offers from both schools but he grew up a Griz season ticket holder and is the cousin of former Griz All-American linebacker Jordan Tripp.

So basically, the only kid there was a really push-pull for was Jaxon Lee but I knew from his sophomore year on that he wanted to be a Griz.

The point of the story is the in-state recruiting battle often is not as heated as people want to believe some years, particularly this year. Most of these kids have allegiance one side or the other and the other side finds that out pretty quickly. Why waste resources trying to flip a kid like Carson Rostad if you are the Cats or a kid like McCade O'Reilly if you are the Griz? It's just likely not going to happen, although it's certainly happened in the past ie a former Bobcats' kid like Ryan Bagley going to play at UM.

This year, more than any other recent year, out of the 17 in-state kids, there was really no war for any of them. So now it comes down to who develops the prospects better. That's who will win the class. And we won't know that for 4-5 years.
What about Grebe, did he hold offers from both schools? Did he have leanings either way?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:28 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:02 am
coochorama42 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:55 am
lakesbison wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:45 pm
EWU 127
UC Davis 132
Montana State 133
Villinova 134
Sac St 136
NDSU 137
Poly 140
Kennesaw 142
Montana 143
Miss St 144
NAU 145
Ill St 147
UNi 151
USD 152
SDSU 171
UND 233 dead last LOL

Now, keep in mind, these are only counting players that have an actual ranking on 24/7
Princeton is at 121, Harvard 129, and Yale 135 on that list. It does change a bit as teams update signings.
I wish the Ivy League teams would get out and play some Big Sky and MVFC teams. They’re incredibly overrated right down to their recruiting ratings.
These rankings also are weighted in favor of programs in populous states. In Montana for example, a kid like Troy Anderson would have been a 4 or 5 star recruit in California but didn’t get a rating because he was in Montana. For UC Davis this year, every CA kid (Which is the vast majority of their recruits) has a star rating due to recruiting exposure. MSU has 10 instate kids with no rankings where if they were in CA, some these guys would at least garner 2 stars. As a result, the more populous states should end up with higher rankings than the less populous states like Montana and the Dakotas.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:30 am

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:48 am
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:46 pm
aucat wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:07 pm
I know it's difficult compared to getting info on FBS, but when I see both Choate and Hauk basically say in so many words "we owned the state," somebody is not telling it "like it is." Frankly, I usually just don't pay much attention to recruiting news until signing day. So are there any experts out there who really have a feel for how we did as compared to other teams in the Big Sky? How we did compared to UM? Any national rankings for FCS?

I guess what got me going was watching Hauk tonight on the news bragging about how well he did.

Colter, do you have any sources for this sort of thing?

Thanks

p.s. READY FOR GAME DAY!!
We talked about the signees for the Cats & the Griz for about 25 minutes in this Big Sky Breakdown:

As stated in that podcast, some of the "feathers in the cap" for in-state recruiting are usually Class AA Offensive and Defensive MVPs, the Gatorade Players of the Year and any kid who did not have previous allegiance to Montana or Montana State. This year is interesting because Carson Rostad was the first junior to win the Montana Gatorade Player of the Year since Dave Dickenson 30 years ago. So it was the first time a signing class had two Gatorade Players of the Year available. One signed with each team.

Another rare factor: the Class AA MVP this year defensively was junior Kenneth Eiden. So he wasn't on the board either.

As far as projecting the rest of the kids -

I was impressed with Asher Croy, Jake D'Agostino and Tommy Mellott while watching the Class AA state title game on the sidelines with Ty Gregorak. But Croy is going to start out at linebacker not running back, D'Agostino is going to start out at DB and not QB and Mellott will begin at QB but is in a very full room. Projecting all three to the next level is very hard.

I also watched McCade O'Reilly as a junior. He projects well and has a few older brothers to show him the ropes of navigating college football. He is a good get for the 'Cats.

For the Bobcats -

Tommy Campbell, DL - he weights 204 pounds. Can he put on the weight? Don't think he was recruited by the Griz.

*Jake D’Agostino, DB - late offer, late commitment - MSU family legacy, not recruited by the Griz

Tommy Mellott, QB - recruited by both schools - MSU recruiting win

McCade O’Reilly, LB - recruited by both schools - MSU recruiting win but a local kid who's brother starts for the 'Cats.

*Conor Reitler, OL - walk-on, project, not recruited by the Griz

*Aaron Richards, OL - walk-on developmental kid, not recruited by Griz

Connor Ryan, DB - Good speed, needs to find a position (don't think it's corner), son of a former Bobcat, not much interest from UM.

Trey Yates, DL - Younger brother of Tucker Yates, no interest from the Griz

So the Bobcats won two battles - O'Reilly, and Mellott although I wouldn't say either one was a war because of O'Reilly's family ties and Mellott's desire to major in engineering.

For the Griz

Asher Croy - A Bozeman kid but not really. He's a Huntley kid who played with fellow UM signee Journey Grimsrud until this season. Croy's father, Guy Croy, the former Huntley head coach who was forced out, played for the Griz. So when Hauck says "It's easy to recruit Bozeman. We've gotten three kids in two years, more than any high school in America", that's not really true. MSU expressed a little interest in Croy. But Montana State did not recruit Griz QB Kris Brown or WR Ryan Simpson at all.

Drew Deck, WR - Not recruited by the Cats.

Journey Grimsrud, DL- Not recruited by the Cats

Jaxon Lee, RB - recruited by both schools when he was at Flint Creek (Drummond/Phillipsburg) and Missoula Sentinel. Griz recruiting win, although Lee grew up as a Montana season ticket holder.

Henry Nuce, DL - this kid doesn'' have social media and I've never spoken to him and had hardly heard of him before signing day. So I don't know if he ever received interest from the Cats.

Guido Ossello, WR - Another late offer, late commit. Richards committed to Montana State last summer so you would think if MSU was recruiting Butte Central, they would've also been recruiting Ossello if they were interested. I do not believe the Cats recruited Ossello.

Carson Rostad, QB - Offers from both schools but he grew up a Griz season ticket holder and is the cousin of former Griz All-American linebacker Jordan Tripp.

So basically, the only kid there was a really push-pull for was Jaxon Lee but I knew from his sophomore year on that he wanted to be a Griz.

The point of the story is the in-state recruiting battle often is not as heated as people want to believe some years, particularly this year. Most of these kids have allegiance one side or the other and the other side finds that out pretty quickly. Why waste resources trying to flip a kid like Carson Rostad if you are the Cats or a kid like McCade O'Reilly if you are the Griz? It's just likely not going to happen, although it's certainly happened in the past ie a former Bobcats' kid like Ryan Bagley going to play at UM.

This year, more than any other recent year, out of the 17 in-state kids, there was really no war for any of them. So now it comes down to who develops the prospects better. That's who will win the class. And we won't know that for 4-5 years.
What about Grebe, did he hold offers from both schools? Did he have leanings either way?
Grebe got a scholarship offer from UM. But he always wanted to go to MSU for their engineering program so there was some disappointment when MSU only offered a partial last year. In the end, it all worked out and he got to go to the place he wanted to go with that covered full scholarship in hand.

Connor Ryan was also offered a half-ride from the Griz so there definitely was more than interest. However, as Colter stated, family legacy usually wins out in-state. Grimsrud was definitely recruited by the Cats and Reitker got some later interest from the Griz but it never amounted to more than a PWO.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Bsmithmsu
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bsmithmsu » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:33 am

gtapp wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:03 pm
I have seen an FCS ranking for recruiting classes almost every year and every year Harvard is ranked number 1.
Lol I think that might have been over everyone’s heads.