Is MSU the best team NDSU has faced this season?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Is MSU the best team NDSU has faced this season?

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:12 am

lakesbison wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:35 pm
SDSU was our hardest game. Pierre Strong RB and GIbbs were QB at the time, at SDSU with Gameday there, it was their Super Bowl and full house.

Illinois St this 2nd time around, because their defense was stout .

I'd say Montana St will be 3rd toughest.
:lol:

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:03 am

YES

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:13 am

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:19 am

The November-December Bobcats are the best NDSU will face this year so far.

and NDSU is by far the best team MSU will face this year so far.

if the game were in Bozeman, Bobcats win.

Fargodome, a huge challenge. This team has been there before, and 'Never Again' has been in the back of everyone's mind since. 'Never Again' is now at the front of Bobcats minds.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:44 am

Like I said in the Cat/Griz game. The previous games will have no bearing on this game. The matchups are all different for every team. I think the Cats offense will again dictate to NDSU like they have been the last 6-7 games. I love the motion and complexity of the Cats offense. Plus Matt Miller has shown teams all types of plays from the same formation sets so pick your poison NDSU. Setting the edges will be very key in this game to open up the middle and vice versa. Everyone says they are going to stop MSU's run game this year, well I have yet to see a team do it. I hope they come out early and get some good runs and control the clock. Get ahead and make NDSU chase us the whole game.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:15 am

Really wish we had Marshall in this one, he brought a new element to our offense and no one has been able to replicate it since.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:33 am

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:15 am
Really wish we had Marshall in this one, he brought a new element to our offense and no one has been able to replicate it since.
Yeah I do as well. He has the perfect size and speed to really set the edge.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:01 am

JDoub wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:19 am

Fargodome, a huge challenge. This team has been there before, and 'Never Again' has been in the back of everyone's mind since. 'Never Again' is now at the front of Bobcats minds.
I agree.

I am in no way comparing the FOOTBALL teams of Missoula and Fargo. But as far as atmosphere goes, the dome doesn't come close to Wash-griz. I went to their semi-final game a few years ago as my brother in law lives there and gets great tickets through work. They played James Madison in a game they eventually lost. But I expected WAY more in terms of the atmosphere. It was pretty loud when the team ran out but after that it wasn't really any more than any other game. And it was a great game. Think JMU won by 7-10 but can't remember.

Obviously you want to be at home. I'm not suggesting that there is NO advantage there. I just think people are way over-estimating the effect of their homefield advantage. And to be fair, I think fans tend to over-emphasize this in general. Would I rather be playing at home? Of course. But of all the factors going into this game, my opinion is homefield advantage is maybe 10%.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:38 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:01 am
JDoub wrote:

I agree.

I am in no way comparing the FOOTBALL teams of Missoula and Fargo. But as far as atmosphere goes, the dome doesn't come close to Wash-griz. I went to their semi-final game a few years ago as my brother in law lives there and gets great tickets through work. They played James Madison in a game they eventually lost. But I expected WAY more in terms of the atmosphere. It was pretty loud when the team ran out but after that it wasn't really any more than any other game. And it was a great game. Think JMU won by 7-10 but can't remember.

Obviously you want to be at home. I'm not suggesting that there is NO advantage there. I just think people are way over-estimating the effect of their homefield advantage. And to be fair, I think fans tend to over-emphasize this in general. Would I rather be playing at home? Of course. But of all the factors going into this game, my opinion is homefield advantage is maybe 10%.
I think what you are saying is somewhat fair. But they almost never lose at home. But then again, they almost never lose. I would honestly expect a pretty loud crowd that could influence the game. It will be the loudest venue this team has played at this year. With all that said, Choate coached teams have never (that I can remember) been rattled at the petting zoo in Missoula. So to come full circle, maybe you're right. Haha

Hating the griz since 02.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:43 am

ilovethecats wrote:
JDoub wrote:

I agree.

I’ve never been to a game there, so I can’t speak to it directly, but I agree that it seems their home field advantage may be a little over blown.

Yes, they rarely lose there, so the natural conclusion people make is their home field advantage is great.

But they also just never lose in general. So I don’t know that it’s so much a home field advantage as it is just a dominant program that has been on an unprecedented run, where ever the game may be.

It wouldn’t be hard to figure it out, but I’m at work and too lazy to run the numbers, but I’m thinking there is a very, very small difference in their home and away win % over the last 9 years.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:49 am

Catsrgrood wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:43 am
ilovethecats wrote:
JDoub wrote:

I agree.

I’ve never been to a game there, so I can’t speak to it directly, but I agree that it seems their home field advantage may be a little over blown.

Yes, they rarely lose there, so the natural conclusion people make is their home field advantage is great.

But they also just never lose in general. So I don’t know that it’s so much a home field advantage as it is just a dominant program that has been on an unprecedented run, where ever the game may be.

It wouldn’t be hard to figure it out, but I’m at work and too lazy to run the numbers, but I’m thinking there is a very, very small difference in their home and away win % over the last 9 years.
I saw a couple of their posters on AGS say that they actually tend to play better on the road.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:53 am

btribby wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:38 am

I think what you are saying is somewhat fair. But they almost never lose at home. But then again, they almost never lose.
This is the exact point. They are an amazing program this last decade no question. And I'm not implying it's a bad atmosphere. I thought it was good for sure. Just like their tailgating was good. I think fans of awesome teams tend to overblow the things they control such as tailgaiting and loudness! :wink:

I think we have way more atmosphere in Bozeman and Missoula and hope our programs keep doing it on the field. NDSU won't dominate forever. No dynasty ever has and they won't be the first. But their run has been amazing. The Cats have the opportunity of a lifetime tomorrow, and I don't think that is an exaggeration.

My confidence in this team, and maybe even more so of this staff is VERY high. And while I think Fargo is a great team, I fully expect us to win tomorrow.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:59 am

robgriz wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:54 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:16 pm
Although I would love a conference including the 4 Dakota schools. 2 MT schools, 2 Idaho schools. Weber and Eastern
This.
Agree!

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:14 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:59 am
robgriz wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:54 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:16 pm
Although I would love a conference including the 4 Dakota schools. 2 MT schools, 2 Idaho schools. Weber and Eastern
This.
Agree!
Absolutely nailed it. Best post of the week???

Hating the griz since 02.

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:02 pm

In talking with those who have played both in Missoula and Fargo, all have said WaGriz is by far the more intimidating place to play, and has a better homefield advantage. Cats have done just fine there. NDSU wins at home almost always not because of homefield advantage, but because they are a good football team.

Unfortunately for them, they are running into a buzzsaw with MSU, and the dominance ends tomorrow! \:D/

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:06 am

catscat wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:18 pm
PapaG wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:13 pm
cats2506 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:02 pm
without a doubt, the best team they will face all year
If NDSU plays JMU, my unbiased opinion is that JMU will be the best team they will face all year.
Hmmm. What do you figure the chances are that they will play JMU?
49%

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Siouxfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Siouxfan » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:59 pm

:mrgreen:
:-({|= :-({|= :-({|=

CPrice91
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by CPrice91 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:09 pm

msuhunter wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:02 pm
In talking with those who have played both in Missoula and Fargo, all have said WaGriz is by far the more intimidating place to play, and has a better homefield advantage. Cats have done just fine there. NDSU wins at home almost always not because of homefield advantage, but because they are a good football team.

Unfortunately for them, they are running into a buzzsaw with MSU, and the dominance ends tomorrow! \:D/
Unpopular opinion I'm sure, but I wasn't impressed by the loudness of the Fargo crowd. If you put them in an outdoor stadium, I don't think they'd be as loud as UM and MSU crowds. Their noise is largely acoustic-created

lakesbison
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by lakesbison » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:49 pm

lakesbison wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:35 pm
SDSU was our hardest game. Pierre Strong RB and GIbbs were QB at the time, at SDSU with Gameday there, it was their Super Bowl and full house.

Illinois St this 2nd time around, because their defense was stout .

I'd say Montana St will be 3rd toughest.
I'd still say I Was right about this 3rd toughest, you just let the game get away from you and it snowballed

lakesbison
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by lakesbison » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:58 pm

CPrice91 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:09 pm
msuhunter wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:02 pm

Unpopular opinion I'm sure, but I wasn't impressed by the loudness of the Fargo crowd. If you put them in an outdoor stadium, I don't think they'd be as loud as UM and MSU crowds. Their noise is largely acoustic-created
114 decibels on the meter couple times today, we've been louder I'll agree.

at Frisco the EWU players said we were louder than Wa Gizz. haha