NDSU/MVFC $3,400 Cash Extra per year

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

NDSU/MVFC $3,400 Cash Extra per year

Post by Counter Assault » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:54 pm

So in Choate's latest presser, he whines slightly about how the MVFC conference members pay their players an extra $3,400 per year in cash as part of their scholarships. I calculate that would be ~$221K extra in funding per year @ 65 scholarships. On the kids' sides, that would be an extra $13,600 for a four year degree in living money.

Why doesn't the BSC pay it? Could we?

Is that really an advantage for NDSU and the MVFC? Please post a previous thread on this if there is already a huge discussion on it.

kmax
Site Admin

Re: NDSU/MVFC $3,400 Cash Extra per year

Post by kmax » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:07 pm

Pretty sure they total amount it would cost the school would be MUCH higher than that. Can't just do it for the football players, would have to do it for every athlete. It's a huge expense to give total cost of attendance money. The schools have looked at it but it isn't going to happen soon most likely.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:10 pm

As far as I know we have a large gap already in scholarship money, between what the Bobcat Club contributes and the actual total cost of scholarships. That gap has to be covered out of the Athletic Dept. budget. The Athletic Dept. cannot afford an additional $221K. Plus, I think it would be much more as you have to provide it to all student athletes.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:11 pm

kmax wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:07 pm
Pretty sure they total amount it would cost the school would be MUCH higher than that. Can't just do it for the football players, would have to do it for every athlete. It's a huge expense to give total cost of attendance money. The schools have looked at it but it isn't going to happen soon most likely.
^This

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:15 pm

It would be about $600,000-$800,000/year added to the budget.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

lakesbison
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by lakesbison » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:45 pm

SDSU coached whined that he needs $1 million more to compete with NDSU. psh, defeatism.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:45 pm

Very expensive, but probably why MVC/Summit schools usually beat Big Sky schools in football and men's and women's basketball. Probably has more impact on recruiting than fancy weight rooms or indoor practice facilities. Do WAC schools do it as well?

2-B-Champ
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2-B-Champ » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:46 pm

kmax wrote:
You guys need to read or hear between the lines... Talks about that we can’t compete with the schools that have these nice facilities, when he first arrives. 18 million dollars later we will have a new football complex. Now out of the blue he starts talking about full cost of attendance money, that’s probably already in the works for this recruiting class. This will happen!!!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:15 pm

2-B-Champ wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:46 pm
kmax wrote:
You guys need to read or hear between the lines... Talks about that we can’t compete with the schools that have these nice facilities, when he first arrives. 18 million dollars later we will have a new football complex. Now out of the blue he starts talking about full cost of attendance money, that’s probably already in the works for this recruiting class. This will happen!!!
I seriously doubt it because if i remember, it is for all athletes, not just football.
https://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/ ... endance-qa

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:17 pm

2-B-Champ wrote:
kmax wrote:
If Waded buys in, then it will happen. No ifs ands or buts

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:26 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:17 pm
2-B-Champ wrote:
kmax wrote:
Not saying she doesn't get sh-- done when she wants to but considering we don't cover scholarships with donations as it is and that shortfall has to come out of the athletics budget I'm not sure where you are coming up with close to twice our current shortfall to fund it. Would also bet that something like that is something that has to go through the Regents.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:29 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:15 pm
2-B-Champ wrote:
kmax wrote:
I seriously doubt it because if i remember, it is for all athletes, not just football.
https://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/ ... endance-qa
And if they get PELL Grant, there is an offset.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:30 pm

kmax wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:26 pm
wbtfg wrote:
2-B-Champ wrote:
kmax wrote:
Not saying she doesn't get sh-- done when she wants to but considering we don't cover scholarships with donations as it is and that shortfall has to come out of the athletics budget I'm not sure where you are coming up with close to twice our current shortfall to fund it. Would also bet that something like that is something that has to go through the Regents.
Regents would never approve unless Missoula Community College can do it too.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:32 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:30 pm
kmax wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
2-B-Champ wrote:
kmax wrote:
Not disagreeing with you but it seems like that stance is changing a bit. Look no further than Waded's salary. I believe it wasn't too long ago that the two university president salaries needed to be identical?? Am I wrong on that?

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:39 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:32 pm
cats2506 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:30 pm
kmax wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
2-B-Champ wrote:
kmax wrote:
Not disagreeing with you but it seems like that stance is changing a bit. Look no further than Waded's salary. I believe it wasn't too long ago that the two university president salaries needed to be identical?? Am I wrong on that?
Good point, might be a little more open minded members of the board now.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

2-B-Champ
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2-B-Champ » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:41 pm

kmax wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
2-B-Champ wrote:
kmax wrote:
At the November Gala they were auctioning off in-state scholarship of $22,000 and out of state of $43,000 these were athletic scholarships.
If I remember right there were 8-9 instate and 4 out of state and all were sold for the price listed above. Lot of money was bought/donated
to the scholarship fund that night.

HotTubHigh
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by HotTubHigh » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:58 pm

I may be wrong but pretty sure this isn't a conference-wide deal for the Missouri Valley Conference. I know NDSU pays it but don't think all other conference members do. Pretty uncommon at FCS level. I'd venture almost all FBS level schools and conferences pay it, which over time will limit FCS schools' ability to pick up FBS caliber players as often.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:03 pm

HotTubHigh wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:58 pm
I may be wrong but pretty sure this isn't a conference-wide deal for the Missouri Valley Conference. I know NDSU pays it but don't think all other conference members do. Pretty uncommon at FCS level. I'd venture almost all FBS level schools and conferences pay it, which over time will limit FCS schools' ability to pick up FBS caliber players as often.
North Dakota pays full cost of attendance.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:22 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:03 pm
HotTubHigh wrote:
Does South Dakota State? Is there anywhere to see a list of FCS schools who pay FCOA?

HotTubHigh
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by HotTubHigh » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:40 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:03 pm
HotTubHigh wrote:
Oil money. I don't think any others in the conference pay it.