Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Post Reply
User avatar
RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:46 am

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:02 pm

Rich K wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:37 pm
Catsrgrood wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:20 pm
Their QB looked pretty solid once he settled in.
I think the Cats pass rushers and crowd noise will be something he isn’t used to though, so I don’t see him sitting back and getting into a rhythm like that next week. I would hope our DB’s will do a substantially better job sticking with their receivers too.

They are absolutely a solid team, but there wasn’t anything that really jumped out to me about them either.
I don’t think this is going to be a 48-7 type game for Cats. But if they play like they should and how they have been the last month, this game shouldn’t ever be in question.
Looking at some of #18's stats, just kidding, Undercuffler's stats he's absolutely not a dual threat quarterback. He played in 4 games and redshirted last year. This year his rushing numbers are usually <0 per game. He has started every game this year (13) so with last year's 4 games this will be his 18th start. He's obviously past the freshman jitters stage.
This guy looks like he has a future.
I totally believe that he will be a good player for them for the next three years, but the Cats defense has been shutting down the likes of Jake Maier and Dalton Sneed. I'm not worried about the RSFR from the 3rd or 4th best team in the Colonial.



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4992
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:20 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:28 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:12 pm
btribby wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:52 pm
I think that Albany is a really quality opponent. We will have to play a great game to win. All opponents from here on out are great football teams.
Without sounding like an arrogant ass, what did you see to make you think they’re so good? I honestly didn’t see it.
You weren't impressed at all by their QB or the WR hauling in those great TD catches? Sure, the QB looked bad in the first quarter but once the settled down, he looked great I thought.
I mean, I guess I wasn’t UNimpressed. But that CC defense looked terrible to me. QB had a minute to throw the ball, slants were open all day long, and were going against a small secondary.

Again, I’m not trying to sound like an ass here. But from the looks of it, this is a team the Cats should crush in my opinion. It’s like I said before the UNC game. If ww’re As good as I think we are, this is a team we should handle with ease. I’m just not sure I saw one unit I would expect to have an advantage over us. Did you?

This isn’t to take away from their win. But we’re not CCSU. The things they were able to do ok today I just don’t see them getting away with on Saturday.



91catAlum
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7154
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:41 pm
Location: Clancy, MT

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:33 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:59 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:37 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:28 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:12 pm
btribby wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:52 pm
I think that Albany is a really quality opponent. We will have to play a great game to win. All opponents from here on out are great football teams.
Without sounding like an arrogant ass, what did you see to make you think they’re so good? I honestly didn’t see it.
You weren't impressed at all by their QB or the WR hauling in those great TD catches? Sure, the QB looked bad in the first quarter but once the settled down, he looked great I thought.
Also - CCU has a very good offense, and Albany shut them down after getting roasted a bit early on.

Its hard to compare I guess but unlike others here I think Albany will be a real test for the Cats.
Are you sure about that? I know they scored a lot of points this season, but that NE Confence is pretty pitiful.
No I'm not. Like I said it's hard to compare with other teams and conferences.


Image
24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

Rich K
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3821
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Cody WY

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by Rich K » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:34 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:02 pm
Rich K wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:37 pm
Catsrgrood wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:20 pm
Their QB looked pretty solid once he settled in.
I think the Cats pass rushers and crowd noise will be something he isn’t used to though, so I don’t see him sitting back and getting into a rhythm like that next week. I would hope our DB’s will do a substantially better job sticking with their receivers too.

They are absolutely a solid team, but there wasn’t anything that really jumped out to me about them either.
I don’t think this is going to be a 48-7 type game for Cats. But if they play like they should and how they have been the last month, this game shouldn’t ever be in question.
Looking at some of #18's stats, just kidding, Undercuffler's stats he's absolutely not a dual threat quarterback. He played in 4 games and redshirted last year. This year his rushing numbers are usually <0 per game. He has started every game this year (13) so with last year's 4 games this will be his 18th start. He's obviously past the freshman jitters stage.
This guy looks like he has a future.
I totally believe that he will be a good player for them for the next three years, but the Cats defense has been shutting down the likes of Jake Maier and Dalton Sneed. I'm not worried about the RSFR from the 3rd or 4th best team in the Colonial.
I'm not particularly worried about Undercuffler either. He'll get some completions and a few yards. I think the Bobcat defense will be in the Albany backfield all day, without having to blitz much.
Truth is, I'm not very impressed at the CAA much these days at all. Things like 3500 fans at this home playoff game was the break even point for their bid and they don't even reach half of that. I looked at their games this year and they only played in one decent setting all year, and that was at Central Michigan and they only had about 12,000 in the stands. I bet it had the atmosphere of a church picnic. CAA as a whole doesn't appear real healthy.
Take a look at their playoff game thread on their own forum. First 6 pages were about PARKING for heaven's sake. How much fricking parking do they need for 1600 people?

I predict we roll these guys. Not only will we play great but they won't even show up.


Image

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7154
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:41 pm
Location: Clancy, MT

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:36 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:20 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:28 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:12 pm
btribby wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:52 pm
I think that Albany is a really quality opponent. We will have to play a great game to win. All opponents from here on out are great football teams.
Without sounding like an arrogant ass, what did you see to make you think they’re so good? I honestly didn’t see it.
You weren't impressed at all by their QB or the WR hauling in those great TD catches? Sure, the QB looked bad in the first quarter but once the settled down, he looked great I thought.
I mean, I guess I wasn’t UNimpressed. But that CC defense looked terrible to me. QB had a minute to throw the ball, slants were open all day long, and were going against a small secondary.

Again, I’m not trying to sound like an ass here. But from the looks of it, this is a team the Cats should crush in my opinion. It’s like I said before the UNC game. If ww’re As good as I think we are, this is a team we should handle with ease. I’m just not sure I saw one unit I would expect to have an advantage over us. Did you?

This isn’t to take away from their win. But we’re not CCSU. The things they were able to do ok today I just don’t see them getting away with on Saturday.
I'd be worried about their passing game. The QB is legit IMO and two WRs were making nice catches.

That's not to say I think we're an underdogby any means. I'm just a bit more cautious I guess, than most here.


Image
24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

User avatar
tdub
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1386
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:41 pm
Location: Kalispell

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by tdub » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:44 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:36 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:20 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:28 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:12 pm
btribby wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:52 pm
I think that Albany is a really quality opponent. We will have to play a great game to win. All opponents from here on out are great football teams.
Without sounding like an arrogant ass, what did you see to make you think they’re so good? I honestly didn’t see it.
You weren't impressed at all by their QB or the WR hauling in those great TD catches? Sure, the QB looked bad in the first quarter but once the settled down, he looked great I thought.
I mean, I guess I wasn’t UNimpressed. But that CC defense looked terrible to me. QB had a minute to throw the ball, slants were open all day long, and were going against a small secondary.

Again, I’m not trying to sound like an ass here. But from the looks of it, this is a team the Cats should crush in my opinion. It’s like I said before the UNC game. If ww’re As good as I think we are, this is a team we should handle with ease. I’m just not sure I saw one unit I would expect to have an advantage over us. Did you?

This isn’t to take away from their win. But we’re not CCSU. The things they were able to do ok today I just don’t see them getting away with on Saturday.
I'd be worried about their passing game. The QB is legit IMO and two WRs were making nice catches.

That's not to say I think we're an underdogby any means. I'm just a bit more cautious I guess, than most here.
Agree with that. Cats defense getting the QB off his spot will be the key to the game.


Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

User avatar
cats2506
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8308
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:35 pm
Location: Lewistown

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by cats2506 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:48 pm

Seems like every week in the BSC we are facing some prolific passing team with a great QB and good WR, This should be just like another week in the BSC. I am not impressed with their defense. Meanwhile they have to figure out a game plan for a rushing offense that isn't probably like anything they have seen. CCSU might have been the closest, but CCSU didn't have the speed or the variety of ball carriers or the OL that we have. Our offense is going to be a huge challenge for them, their offense is going to be like playing UCD, SUU or NAU for us.


PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

kwcat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1653
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:34 am

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by kwcat » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:55 pm

Couldn’t care less about their fan base or their parking. That doesn’t affect the quality of the team. They are a sound CAA team and we will have to be sound in all phases and should come away with a win



onceacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1885
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by onceacat » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:17 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:36 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:20 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:28 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:12 pm
btribby wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:52 pm
I think that Albany is a really quality opponent. We will have to play a great game to win. All opponents from here on out are great football teams.
Without sounding like an arrogant ass, what did you see to make you think they’re so good? I honestly didn’t see it.
You weren't impressed at all by their QB or the WR hauling in those great TD catches? Sure, the QB looked bad in the first quarter but once the settled down, he looked great I thought.
I mean, I guess I wasn’t UNimpressed. But that CC defense looked terrible to me. QB had a minute to throw the ball, slants were open all day long, and were going against a small secondary.

Again, I’m not trying to sound like an ass here. But from the looks of it, this is a team the Cats should crush in my opinion. It’s like I said before the UNC game. If ww’re As good as I think we are, this is a team we should handle with ease. I’m just not sure I saw one unit I would expect to have an advantage over us. Did you?

This isn’t to take away from their win. But we’re not CCSU. The things they were able to do ok today I just don’t see them getting away with on Saturday.
I'd be worried about their passing game. The QB is legit IMO and two WRs were making nice catches.

That's not to say I think we're an underdogby any means. I'm just a bit more cautious I guess, than most here.
There’s no excuse for a top 8 seed to EVER lose a game. Happens about every other year, mostly to other power 3 schools. But a home game is a huge advantage here...especially against teams that need to play in to the “real” playoffs.



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14678
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:56 pm

Albany is a good team. They took what cc gave them. They know how to win games. Not a pushover. Similar to UNH in 2011 or Stony in 2012.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

User avatar
94VegasCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3483
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:38 am
Location: Front row seat to the dumpster fire!

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:56 pm

The UAlbany message board is providing great comedy. A) Getting signed in is a joke. B) They’re comparing our fans overconfidence to CCCUs confidence. C) Great stuff!

I read in their playoff selection thread that they feel like if they could get past CCCU, their second round game would be very winnable. Lmfao


My wife teases me about my man crush on Choate.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:12 pm

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by coochorama42 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:02 pm

kwcat wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:55 pm
Couldn’t care less about their fan base or their parking. That doesn’t affect the quality of the team. They are a sound CAA team and we will have to be sound in all phases and should come away with a win
They are a lucky CAA team. Had they faced the "normal" CAA schedule - playing at least 'Nova and/or JMU - they wouldn't be here. Then they drew CCSU while 'Nova got SELA. Their passing game is built on a foundation that MSU destroys. Konkol might knock out three guys if they throw that sh*t out there Saturday. Watched the game; not impressed.



User avatar
94VegasCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3483
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:38 am
Location: Front row seat to the dumpster fire!

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:08 pm

The UAlbany game will be a great depth builder.


My wife teases me about my man crush on Choate.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4328
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:21 pm

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by MSU01 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:22 pm

Wow, this board spent the past week poking fun at the overconfidence displayed by Griz fans during Cat/Griz week following up their big win over Weber...and now this thread appears to be rapidly veering in that exact same direction.

Sports are so great because they're so unpredictable.

Does MSU have more talent across the board than Albany? Yes.
Will MSU be favored to win next week? Yes
Will pretty much everything go right for MSU like it did against UM? Almost certainly not.

Make no mistake, Albany is a legit team and can beat MSU next week, just like any of the four Big Sky seeds could lose if they come out flat after the bye week or make one too many key mistakes at the wrong time.


Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25 48-14

kwcat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1653
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:34 am

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by kwcat » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:25 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:22 pm
Wow, this board spent the past week poking fun at the overconfidence displayed by Griz fans during Cat/Griz week following up their big win over Weber...and now this thread appears to be rapidly veering in that exact same direction.

Sports are so great because they're so unpredictable.

Does MSU have more talent across the board than Albany? Yes.
Will MSU be favored to win next week? Yes
Will pretty much everything go right for MSU like it did against UM? Almost certainly not.

Make no mistake, Albany is a legit team and can beat MSU next week, just like any of the four Big Sky seeds could lose if they come out flat after the bye week or make one too many key mistakes at the wrong time.
This.
Let’s leave arrogance for the pr#%~s over the hill!



91catAlum
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7154
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:41 pm
Location: Clancy, MT

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:28 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:22 pm
Wow, this board spent the past week poking fun at the overconfidence displayed by Griz fans during Cat/Griz week following up their big win over Weber...and now this thread appears to be rapidly veering in that exact same direction.

Sports are so great because they're so unpredictable.

Does MSU have more talent across the board than Albany? Yes.
Will MSU be favored to win next week? Yes
Will pretty much everything go right for MSU like it did against UM? Almost certainly not.

Make no mistake, Albany is a legit team and can beat MSU next week, just like any of the four Big Sky seeds could lose if they come out flat after the bye week or make one too many key mistakes at the wrong time.
Well said, I agree completely.


Image
24-17
31-23
29-25
48-14

User avatar
84CatGrad
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 437
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:05 pm

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by 84CatGrad » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:37 pm

Any time a freshman throws 6 TD passes against an 11-1 playoff team he's a player that can present problems. Will we defend him better? Certainly. But I don't see a cakewalk against these guys. I'll be happy with any kind of win and I think if we play well we'll win. Go Cats.



coochorama42
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:12 pm

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by coochorama42 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:41 pm

kwcat wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:25 pm
This.
Let’s leave arrogance for the pr#%~s over the hill!
No arrogance intended. I'm analyzing what I saw, as I imagine others here are doing as well. We got a lucky draw.



kwcat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1653
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:34 am

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by kwcat » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:42 pm

http://www.ualbanysports.com/SportSelec ... PSID=70368

They do start with some size on the oline. 342# and 372#!
Wished I had my laptop instead of my phone I could get a little more posted here



AFCAT
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3621
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by AFCAT » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:45 pm

Tough to gauge their team talent by watching only one game.


Help the Cats! Join the quarterback club!!
https://www.bobcatquarterbackclub.com
Want to pledge or donate to the Bobcat facilities plan?!
http://www.msuaf.org/msuathleticcomplex
Contact the Alumni Foundation at:
406-994-2092

Post Reply