Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Post Reply
coochorama42
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:12 pm

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by coochorama42 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:30 am

UA Fan wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:21 am
Although we don’t have the altitude, we sure as heck have snowy and cold weather. There’s some southern kids on the team, but a lot from PA, NJ and NY and our open flat campus is windy as heck. Gattuso is a Pittsburgh guy who played for Penn St so cold is not an issue in his mind. The Danes will apparently practice at a local soccer bubble facility with a big indoor field....until they plow off Bob Ford Field.

Another player to watch for UA is WR #20, Tyler Oedekoven. He’s a redshirt freshman from a great HS program in PA. In the last few weeks he’s had to step up to replace Donovan McDonald on returns and offense. Great hands. He made a ball pinned to the helmet circus catch against Stony Brook that was reminiscent of the David Tyree catch in the Super Bowl. So if MSU tries to shut down Green and Reeves, TO could have a big day. The key as always is giving the QB enough time...so that’ll be paramount to success.

Should be a fun chess match. I mean football game.
@UA Fan others have mentioned what you should expect from this defense, but not necessarily enough to give you an accurate picture of what Albany needs to overcome to move the football and score. In my opinion, this defense is the best I've seen since I started watching this team in 1990. This has been especially true in the latter portion of this season. The D-Line is quite solid. Not only are they able to generate a pass rush on their own, but they also do so while stuffing the run/forcing it outside. There are 3 all conference selections there (Marks, Sterk, and Benson). When the play is pushed outside, the linebackers are ready. Again, three players are all-conference (Andersen, Hill, and Williams). Both Andersen and Hill were 1st team selections, though Anderson did not play our last game due to lingering injuries. Both the D-Line and Linebacking Corps are incredibly deep for an FCS program. Expect fresh legs rotating in throughout the game. The defensive backfield did not receive the acclaim many of us felt they deserved. Brayden Konkol was a 1st team all conference selection, but no one else made it. The other safety is solid and the corners do a nice job. The last 2 games have been against very, very good offenses that are generally pass-first but had a great opportunistic running game. MSU held them to 17 and 14 points. This was 12 and 22 points below those team's season averages, respectively.

The MSU offense, when running smoothly, creates more problems for the opposing team's offense. Because MSU has a prolific running game, they do have the potential to control time-of-possession. When this is the case, it not only wears on the opposing defense, but also keeps the MSU defense fresh so they can continue to attack.

Things can fall apart quickly for opposing teams. The teams that have seen the most success against the MSU defense have been those who were able to sustain drives by gaining a few yards at a time. Getting to third and short is especially important against this defense so that they at least have to think about defending the run.

A special note, Brayden Konkol (#41) seems to play out of his mind in big games. In MSU's first playoff game last year, he had a sack, an interception, a forced fumble, and a fumble recovery. He had an interception in last week's game as well. He and Andersen (LB #15) can cover WR (even good/fast/big WR) one-on-one pretty easily.

So that's what to expect on Saturday from our defense. I agree that weather should be a non-factor for your team, but this defense is another matter entirely.



User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9794
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by CelticCat » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:57 am

I made it onto their board!

To the UA poster who was saying Choate is clueless about how penalized Albany is, I did some research. Albany did finish the regular season 8th in their conference at 50.2 penalty yards per game. But do you know where that would put them in the Big Sky? 4th. And after their CCSU game? They'd be 1st! They are 27th in the nation in penalties against. That doesn't sound like a team who gets a ton of penalties.

I guess they don't throw many flags in the CAA.


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

User avatar
cats2506
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8128
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:35 pm
Location: Lewistown

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by cats2506 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:04 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:57 am
I made it onto their board!

To the UA poster who was saying Choate is clueless about how penalized Albany is, I did some research. Albany did finish the regular season 8th in their conference at 50.2 penalty yards per game. But do you know where that would put them in the Big Sky? 4th. And after their CCSU game? They'd be 1st! They are 27th in the nation in penalties against. That doesn't sound like a team who gets a ton of penalties.

I guess they don't throw many flags in the CAA.
so what was the security question?

SEFCU Arena?


PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9794
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by CelticCat » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:25 am

Yes, SEFCU Arena. I tried like 5 times yesterday, no luck, today it just worked so maybe their admin fixed something.


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

User avatar
cats2506
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8128
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:35 pm
Location: Lewistown

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by cats2506 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:41 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:25 am
Yes, SEFCU Arena. I tried like 5 times yesterday, no luck, today it just worked so maybe their admin fixed something.
I tried several times on Sunday and couldn't get in, was able to register now also


PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

User avatar
Cledus
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4313
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:18 pm
Location: Billings Heights

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by Cledus » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:47 am

MLB and the NFL display points differential in their standings. I don't know if it's meaningful or has any predictive value, but I put one together for the Big Sky and CAA. I excluded negative differentials because it was fouling up the chart. These are league games only, out of conference and preseason excluded.

Image



Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8211
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Big Sky Country
Contact:

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:03 pm

kmax wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:14 am
UA Fan wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:35 am
One point...listened to a Skyline Sports podcast...somebody tell the media it’s pronounced ALL-buh-knee! Not you can call me AL-buh-knee. :lol: You don’t know how many times we hear it mispronounced by play by play and media types. It’s the capital of NY and has been an incorporated city since about 1690! Learn how to pronounce it. Ok. Rant over.
@Colter_Nuanez :lol:
Noted! I grew up in Nevada and for so long, I always Nev aaaa da



AFCAT
Member # Retired
Posts: 2440
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by AFCAT » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:33 pm

kmax wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:30 am
Dang, those UA message board fans are tough to please....

Cat MB Fans: "We are gonna roll. Albany only made playoffs due to not playing Nova and JMU. Undercuffler is not going to have time to pass cause he will be on his back the whole game. We will rush for 1000 yards with our OLine against their Dline."

Albany MB Fans: "They are idiots that obviously only watched one game. We beat 5 ranked teams and we never run slants. I hope their team is as overconfident as they are cause we will catch them sleeping."

Cat MB Fans: "Don't worry, the team will be ready and Choate will be gushing in his praise for your team."

Choate Monday press conference gives effusive praise as expected.

Albany MB Fans: "That coach is clueless. He obviously only watched one game if he thinks we are disciplined and don't get penalized alot or shoot ourselves in the foot. He definitely didn't watch any of our crappy games and I hope he is this clueless on Saturday."

Image

:lol: ](*,)

Oh and just to be clear since they latched onto it over there the armory ad on the press conference video posted there is sponsoring Skyline Sports and/or the Tootell and Nuanez show, it is not sponsoring the press conference/MSU.

** Please note, all quotes above are generalizations and possibly exaggerated by me, not direct quotes from any one person. Please relax this is all in fun.
Isn’t that typical of these fan boards though. Opposing fans latch on to one or two negative comments and totally overlook the positive ones. Such silliness coming from people that aren’t playing in the game.


Want to pledge or donate to the Bobcat facilities plan?!
http://www.msuaf.org/msuathleticcomplex
Contact the Alumni Foundation at:
Phone - 406-994-2092
Mail - P.O. Box 172750, Bozeman, MT 59717

User avatar
PapaG
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6245
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:44 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by PapaG » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:35 pm

UA Fan wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:35 am
Yeah. I think it’s the same storm. Finally stopped snowing. Looked out my condo window last night and actually saw a Bobcat! Well a big old skid steer anyway, moving the white stuff.

One point...listened to a Skyline Sports podcast...somebody tell the media it’s pronounced ALL-buh-knee! Not you can call me AL-buh-knee. You don’t know how many times we hear it mispronounced by play by play and media types. It’s the capital of NY and has been an incorporated city since about 1690! Learn how to pronounce it. Ok. Rant over.

Your coach has really built up UA...hope they live up to it. Our #21 has a bit of Marshawn Lynch in him, especially when out in space. We’ve seen him literally throw a tackler to the ground...strong kid. He also moves piles and don’t even think about arm tackling him. And did I mention he’s also a very good receiver who has a habit of getting lost in the wash and popping up wide open down field? He’s not a burner, but he’s got a quick burst and enough speed to get some big yards. So I think his buildup is well placed. Of course, like everything it all starts with the OL vs DL and we won’t know till Saturday how that’ll turn out.
I learned the All-bany thing years ago from Siena fans in Spokane.

https://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewt ... 80#p690070


Greg K.

User avatar
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired
Posts: 2391
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:00 pm
Location: Back in the US, but not home

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:26 pm

Cledus wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:47 am
MLB and the NFL display points differential in their standings. I don't know if it's meaningful or has any predictive value
Along with yards per passing play, it's pretty much the gold standard of predictive stats.


"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

User avatar
Cledus
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4313
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:18 pm
Location: Billings Heights

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by Cledus » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:42 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:26 pm
Cledus wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:47 am
MLB and the NFL display points differential in their standings. I don't know if it's meaningful or has any predictive value
Along with yards per passing play, it's pretty much the gold standard of predictive stats.
I was surprised to see MSU is #1 in the conference. But compared to JMU it looks like we still have work to do punch into that top tier. But maybe their net points are inflated because there's no other team in the CAA capable of challenging them.



Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8211
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Big Sky Country
Contact:

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:05 pm




User avatar
kmax
Site Admin
Posts: 8779
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:23 pm
Location: Belgrade, MT
Contact:

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by kmax » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:33 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:33 pm
kmax wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:30 am
Dang, those UA message board fans are tough to please....

Cat MB Fans: "We are gonna roll. Albany only made playoffs due to not playing Nova and JMU. Undercuffler is not going to have time to pass cause he will be on his back the whole game. We will rush for 1000 yards with our OLine against their Dline."

Albany MB Fans: "They are idiots that obviously only watched one game. We beat 5 ranked teams and we never run slants. I hope their team is as overconfident as they are cause we will catch them sleeping."

Cat MB Fans: "Don't worry, the team will be ready and Choate will be gushing in his praise for your team."

Choate Monday press conference gives effusive praise as expected.

Albany MB Fans: "That coach is clueless. He obviously only watched one game if he thinks we are disciplined and don't get penalized alot or shoot ourselves in the foot. He definitely didn't watch any of our crappy games and I hope he is this clueless on Saturday."

Image

:lol: ](*,)

Oh and just to be clear since they latched onto it over there the armory ad on the press conference video posted there is sponsoring Skyline Sports and/or the Tootell and Nuanez show, it is not sponsoring the press conference/MSU.

** Please note, all quotes above are generalizations and possibly exaggerated by me, not direct quotes from any one person. Please relax this is all in fun.
Isn’t that typical of these fan boards though. Opposing fans latch on to one or two negative comments and totally overlook the positive ones. Such silliness coming from people that aren’t playing in the game.
Oh definitely, I was more poking at the fact that they latched onto the negative comments of fans then when Choate was positive they almost turned around and jabbed their own team just to prove he was too positive.


“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

CPrice91
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 944
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:54 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by CPrice91 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:17 pm

I'm fine with them making the mistake of thinking Choate is clueless :lol:



User avatar
allcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7742
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: 90 miles from Nirvana (Bobcat Stadium)

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by allcat » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:15 pm

kmax wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:14 am
UA Fan wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:35 am
One point...listened to a Skyline Sports podcast...somebody tell the media it’s pronounced ALL-buh-knee! Not you can call me AL-buh-knee. :lol: You don’t know how many times we hear it mispronounced by play by play and media types. It’s the capital of NY and has been an incorporated city since about 1690! Learn how to pronounce it. Ok. Rant over.
@Colter_Nuanez :lol:
So it's not pronounced Al- bun-dy?


Now sorry for caring about Cat/griz too much. I've been properly chastised by the coach of the other team. :-^

User avatar
84CatGrad
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:05 pm

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by 84CatGrad » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:24 pm

I think Albany is a talented team and is hungry for respect. I predict they will give us a very difficult game. I hope I'm wrong but too often I have seen an underdog come into Bozeman for a playoff game and give us all we can handle. I sure wish we had Troy. I think we eke out a win but I think it will be a very close game.



Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8211
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Big Sky Country
Contact:

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:27 pm




User avatar
Bobcatsinmso
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 653
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:43 pm
Location: Missoula MT, Bozeman MT

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:42 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:27 pm
Last time I checked the Bobcats were playing Albany. This thread is not about the missoula school, post your fake news appropriately. [-X


Go Cats Go! FTG

User avatar
technoCat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2999
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by technoCat » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:48 am

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:42 am
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:27 pm
Last time I checked the Bobcats were playing Albany. This thread is not about the missoula school, post your fake news appropriately. [-X
If you're being sarcastic, I think you need to work on your delivery.

If not, can we give it a rest. No one is forcing you to read the Griz articles and some of us enjoy reading them.


DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE 01/05/1984

thefrank1
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:14 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: Official Unofficial Albany @ Montana State Thread

Post by thefrank1 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:16 am

There is a thread specifically for the second round of the playoffs and he posted it there as well as any topic he chooses. Colter shows no respect for the thread topics and repeatedly posts the dame article in multiple threads that have no relation to the topic of his post. Colter, please show some discretion. Thanks.


While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Post Reply