Tucker Rovig...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: Tucker Rovig...

Post by wbtfg » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:35 pm

VimSince03 wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:39 pm
...executed and led the troops today. Not once did it look like he was unsure of himself. Really happy for the kid.
He played exactly how we needed him to play

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:39 pm

robgriz wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:07 pm
Maybe the Cat coaches learned a thing or two about Rovig today. With TA on the sidelines they were forced to rely on him and he delivered. They didn’t ask too much of him but what they did ask he got done.
+1

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:47 pm

Confidence Builder ~ Happy for Tucker πŸ‘

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:16 pm

Maybe the Cat coaches learned a thing or two about Rovig today. With TA on the sidelines they were forced to rely on him and he delivered. They didn’t ask too much of him but what they did ask he got done.
To be fair, with TA on the sideline, they relied on 60 rushing attempts.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:23 pm

RobertoGato wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:16 pm
And Sneed had 195 yds passing. So what? Would you have been happy if Rovig would have passed for 200 yards and had the same result? Stats are for losers. The score is what counts, and a Rovig led offense hung 48 on UM. Be happy for one second and let this Rovig fixation rest for one day. Kid did what he needed to do and what was asked of him. He's, what, 6-2 as a starter and 1-0 against his instate rival. That's all that counts.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:32 pm

KittieKop wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:23 pm
And Sneed had 195 yds passing. So what? Would you have been happy if Rovig would have passed for 200 yards and had the same result? Stats are for losers. The score is what counts, and a Rovig led offense hung 48 on UM. Be happy for one second and let this Rovig fixation rest for one day. Kid did what he needed to do and what was asked of him. He's, what, 6-2 as a starter and 1-0 against his instate rival. That's all that counts.
QB wins are not a stat.

I thought Rovig did fine, but c'mon, we didn't win because of him.

Most importantly, he didn't do something to lose the game. That's the majority of what we ask from him.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:34 pm

Kop... calm down. You are the one who needs to stop fixating. Did you not see my first post in this thread? I said nothing negative about Rovig and don't intend to.

Am I not allowed to say that the Cats relied on the running game today? Because they did. They didn't need to ask a lot of Rovig and he mostly delivered. It's all great.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:44 pm

bobcat99 wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:08 pm
He's getting a lot better.

Played confident today. Played well.
The play fakes were crisp today 99!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:52 pm

seataccat wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:53 pm
I have been super critical of Tucker this year. But damn, that kid has shown some guts. He has the ability to shake off a bad play and execute the next one, which is essential for improving. He played very well the last few weeks.
I'm in the same boat as seataccat and I was nothing but impressed with Rovig's play today. Granted, I think he's trained us all to not expect much. But he really made some great decisions & throws in the biggest game of the year, especially in the 1st quarter when everyone was still on edge & the offense was yet to be in any rhythm. That's not an easy thing to do & he no doubt earned my respect for the first time today & will have my respect going forward. Great job Mr Rovig!

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:54 pm

Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:32 pm
QB wins are not a stat.

Most importantly, he didn't do something to lose the game. That's the majority of what we ask from him.
He made some big throws when he needed. He went through progressions. He was good whether the haters want to admit it. He is improving every game.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:18 pm

Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:54 pm
QB wins are not a stat.

He made some big throws when he needed. He went through progressions. He was good whether the haters want to admit it. He is improving every game.
I didn't say he wasn't good! And I don't see anybody "hating" either.

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:21 pm

Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:18 pm
QB wins are not a stat.

You said fine...and then went on to say he wasnt the reason for winning. Yes the running game dominated today but Rovigs play early on stretched the griz a bit.

A whole lot of people have been hating all year is what O was getting at.

Blixtonz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Blixtonz » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:27 pm

110010110 wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:53 pm
This was his best game to date. At one point I saw him actually go through a read progression before finding a wide open #10 for a first down. Blew my mind.
I was standing right behind you! Awesome step forward for Rovig and the team.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:33 pm

He showed improvement today. Way to go kid!

seataccat

Post by seataccat » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:38 pm

Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:21 pm
QB wins are not a stat.

You said fine...and then went on to say he wasnt the reason for winning. Yes the running game dominated today but Rovigs play early on stretched the griz a bit.

This is what I think as well. Tucker was so timid in the pocket in the early games, his feel for the pressure around him was very poor and it kept him from scrambling effectively. He had no feel for when to throw a dart and when to put some air under it.
Those are all extremely hard things to overcome but Tucker has vastly improved his poise. He missed an easy touchdown on the second possession but didn't dwell on it. Yes, the running game was dominant but Tucker has developed enough to pose a down field threat to open up that run game. Admittedly I was convinced he would not and I am gladly eating crow.
Tucker gets my Gavondonas game ball for Cat/griz this year.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:52 pm

QB wins are not a stat.

Nothing I said was inaccurate.

Rovig was pretty bad earlier in the year. He's improved, a lot. I still don't think I would call him a good QB, but right now he's performing like an average QB, and tbh, that's all we need to beat most teams. Going from below average to average is a big step, you can see the difference it's made for the offense.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:36 am

Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:52 pm
QB wins are not a stat.

Rovig was pretty bad earlier in the year. He's improved, a lot. I still don't think I would call him a good QB, but right now he's performing like an average QB, and tbh, that's all we need to beat most teams. Going from below average to average is a big step, you can see the difference it's made for the offense.
Rovig is the best QB we have and is starting because of it. I know this for certain because a professional coaching staff working 80 hour weeks says it's so. I see no reason to continually scrutinize him because everyone who knows football understands the situation. So I see this as just bitching for the sake of bitching.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:37 am

rivercat wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:36 am
QB wins are not a stat.

Rovig is the best QB we have and is starting because of it. I know this for certain because a professional coaching staff working 80 hour weeks says it's so. I see no reason to continually scrutinize him because everyone who knows football understands the situation. So I see this as just bitching for the sake of bitching.
=D^ =D^ =D^

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:35 am

rivercat wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:36 am
QB wins are not a stat.

I never said he wasn't the best QB we have.

I'm just, ya know, being realistic. I'm sorry if that offends you so. I've posted good things about him in this thread and others too. Really haven't said anything negative at all, I just said he didn't win the game! I don't think anybody can argue that. He did his job. Did what he was asked to do. I'll take it!

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:50 am

What if we all agreed that Rovig did his job yesterday, took care of the ball, and contributed to a huge win, and left it at that to enjoy the stomping?

The debate will still be there in the off-season.