Tucker Rovig...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Tucker Rovig...

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:14 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:10 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:20 am
superbobcat wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:15 am
IMO Tucker has arrived and is ready to go. He has faced his challenges head on, hung in there despite criticism, and has done nothing to lose games. All he has done is gotten better. This seems to me the perfect time for him to put us on his shoulders and deliver. He is playing with confidence and poise, it's ROVIG TIME on Saturday.
Tucker has gone on long playoff runs before...back in high school at Mountain View. After beating Eagle High School in the semifinals, Tucker shined against Capital to lead the Mavericks to a 48-21 state title victory in 2016. Eagle and Capital were the only two teams to beat Mountain View during the regular season so it was quite a run for the Tucker and crew. Who was on that Capital Eagles team? Zach Redd and Connor Wood. Rovig's stats in that title game:

https://www.maxpreps.com/games/11-19-20 ... &schoolid=

In the title game and semifinal, Tucker went for a total of 38/58 for 434 yards and 8 touchdowns (no interceptions).
Can't believe I'm actually correcting @VimSince03, but Redd and Wood played for Rocky Mountain High School, not Capital High. :shock:
Ughhhh...you're right. Mountain View did beat Rocky Mountain 33-13 during the regular season in 2016. However, it was 2015 when Rocky Mountain beat Mountain View for the state title. Connor and Zach was on that team!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:18 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:14 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:10 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:20 am
superbobcat wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:15 am
IMO Tucker has arrived and is ready to go. He has faced his challenges head on, hung in there despite criticism, and has done nothing to lose games. All he has done is gotten better. This seems to me the perfect time for him to put us on his shoulders and deliver. He is playing with confidence and poise, it's ROVIG TIME on Saturday.
Tucker has gone on long playoff runs before...back in high school at Mountain View. After beating Eagle High School in the semifinals, Tucker shined against Capital to lead the Mavericks to a 48-21 state title victory in 2016. Eagle and Capital were the only two teams to beat Mountain View during the regular season so it was quite a run for the Tucker and crew. Who was on that Capital Eagles team? Zach Redd and Connor Wood. Rovig's stats in that title game:

https://www.maxpreps.com/games/11-19-20 ... &schoolid=

In the title game and semifinal, Tucker went for a total of 38/58 for 434 yards and 8 touchdowns (no interceptions).
Can't believe I'm actually correcting @VimSince03, but Redd and Wood played for Rocky Mountain High School, not Capital High. :shock:
Ughhhh...you're right. Mountain View did beat Rocky Mountain 33-13 during the regular season in 2016. However, it was 2015 when Rocky Mountain beat Mountain View for the state title. Connor and Zach was on that team!
I'm just going to bask in this moment of personal glory and take it as a good omen for soaking up more where that came from this Saturday!

GO CATS GO!!!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:20 am

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:07 am

Montanabob wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:20 am
https://m.herosports.com/fcs/football-2 ... ssers-bzbz
Who'd have think it.
Some of us did! 8)

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:15 am

Weber qb leaving whats up with that

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:43 am

Montanabob wrote:
Who'd have think it.
That he would return? I think most people figured Rovig would stay on the team and come back.

Hating the griz since 02.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:04 am

GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:15 am
Weber qb leaving whats up with that
Weber can replace Constantine with other QB's that are within his talent range without having to bring anybody new in. Weber is similar to the Bobcats in that quite a few observers think a next level QB could get them to Frisco. Jake Constantine is (was) a good quarterback on a team that needs a great quarterback.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:18 am

Of course he's coming back. This is just playoff teams they are talking about.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:55 am

btribby wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:43 am
Montanabob wrote:
Who'd have think it.
That he would return? I think most people figured Rovig would stay on the team and come back.
Yeah, that list is for every playoff team last year. Of the 12 returning QBs, Rovig is 9th in passing yards and 8th in TD passes, with three of the QBs behind him playing less games and Tucker getting to play 15. I realize it’s a running offense, but 200 passing yard a game would help out the running game even more. Hopefully more play-action is integrated into the offense this year.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:11 pm

PapaG wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:55 am
btribby wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Who'd have think it.
Yeah, that list is for every playoff team last year. Of the 12 returning QBs, Rovig is 9th in passing yards and 8th in TD passes, with three of the QBs behind him playing less games and Tucker getting to play 15. I realize it’s a running offense, but 200 passing yard a game would help out the running game even more. Hopefully more play-action is integrated into the offense this year.
Why do people have this fascination with 200 yards passing being some magical number to achieve in order to better help the run game? When the team runs for 382 yards in a game, why does our QB need to throw for 200? 48-14 sounds pretty good to me. If Mckay comes in and wins the job but only throws for an average of 150 yards a game, but we make the semis again are people going to complain? Actually dumb question because yes they will :lol:

Also Tucker started 12 games, not 15. Of the games he threw for less than 200 we were 6-2, and that includes NDSU. In total we were 9-3 on the year in games that our QB threw for less than 200 yards, and that includes TTU. Our average margin of victory this year was 22.64. Rovig or Bauman threw for under 200 in 6 wins of 14 or more points. 5 of those wins were by 20 or more.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:17 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:11 pm
PapaG wrote:
btribby wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Who'd have think it.
Why do people have this fascination with 200 yards passing being some magical number to achieve in order to better help the run game? When the team runs for 382 yards in a game, why does our QB need to throw for 200? 48-14 sounds pretty good to me. If Mckay comes in and wins the job but only throws for an average of 150 yards a game, but we make the semis again are people going to complain? Actually dumb question because yes they will :lol:

Also Tucker started 12 games, not 15. Of the games he threw for less than 200 we were 6-2, and that includes NDSU. In total we were 9-3 on the year in games that our QB threw for less than 200 yards, and that includes TTU. Our average margin of victory this year was 22.64. Rovig or Bauman threw for under 200 in 6 wins of 14 or more points. 5 of those wins were by 20 or more.
You can’t come from behind against very good teams if you can’t pass the ball. If semi-finals are the goal, then a mediocre passing game seems to be the preferred approach. Taking sacks due to being immobile at the QB spot doesn’t help in this era of football, either.

What a ride

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:18 pm

I just want efficient, and consistent QB play. Limit turnovers. Make the smart play.

Tucker has gotten a lot better at that. He's still a limited player against good talent, but he is improving. It'll be a good battle between him and McKay.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:21 pm

PapaG wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:17 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
PapaG wrote:
btribby wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Who'd have think it.

You can’t come from behind against very good teams if you can’t pass the ball. If semi-finals are the goal, then a mediocre passing game seems to be the preferred approach. Taking sacks due to being immobile at the QB spot doesn’t help in this era of football, either.
Yardage does not necessarily imply being good or bad at passing. Efficiency is a much better metric. Easton Stick never averaged more than 200 ypg, Wentz averaged over 200 ypg for a season once, and that was a shortened season. But they did combine a good completion percentage with a high YPA. You do that, and you've got a good passing attack, even if you're passing for a low yardage overall.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:31 pm

PapaG wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
PapaG wrote:
btribby wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Who'd have think it.

Cats came back from 22 point deficit against an apparently playoff bound team from across the divide last year.

Came back from a 21 point deficit this year against the #1 FCS passing team in the nation and the #1 FCS passing QB (NAU and Case Cookus both finished 1st in passing in FCS this year).

Trey Lance only averaged 174 ypg this year. The Senior years for Wentz and Stick (sp?), NDSU never averaged 200 ypg.

Point is where you want to focus your team direction. I have said it before but Choate’s goal is to build a tough defensive team with an excellent rushing attack and “efficient” passing attack. A tough defensive minded team won’t see those 20 point deficits to overcome.....if we get to level Choate wants to take the team. I haven’t looked back at the NDSU games for their championship years but would be interesting to know if they have ever faced over a 20 point deficit with all those tough defenses....every one finishing in the top 10 defenses in the nation and allowing less than 20 ppg scored against....

So I guess I am differing with your opinion that you have to have a great passing game to win the FCS. Efficient yes....but first of all give me a defense and rushing game.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:15 pm

Wow, double mic drop from 99 and Del. Well said guys!

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:09 pm

IF the FCS continues as it has for the past decade and you want to win using the NDSU template, then you HAVE to "out Bison the Bison". I don't see that happening by any team in the near future. So to beat NDSU and win the FCS, a team IS going to have to have some differing skillsets than NDSU. Which team has had the most success against them lately? SDSU and they had an exceptional qb and receivers.

Just my 2 cents.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:26 pm

rivercat wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:09 pm
IF the FCS continues as it has for the past decade and you want to win using the NDSU template, then you HAVE to "out Bison the Bison". I don't see that happening by any team in the near future. So to beat NDSU and win the FCS, a team IS going to have to have some differing skillsets than NDSU. Which team has had the most success against them lately? SDSU and they had an exceptional qb and receivers.

Just my 2 cents.

I understand your opinion. But since the Bison started their run in 2011, SDSU is 2 wins and 11 losses against NDSU...I wouldn't call that highly successful and with 0 wins and 3 losses in last 2 seasons (SDSU won 1 and lost 1 in 2016 which is only year Bison did not win Championship in that lineage. And SDSU won 1 in 2017 which was the only loss for NDSU in that championship year). Just "eyeballing" the stats I don't think any of those seasons folks averaged more than 20 ppg. Interesting that no team every beat them twice in one season. SDSU, Montana all fell to them second time around (may have been others but too lazy to keep looking).

I would think they have played some pretty good passing/scrambling teams during that era don't you?? I mean they beat Eastern Washington 3 times during that spread and Eastern had a pretty fair QB (Adams for one) and receiving core was talented as I recall. I suspect with wins over Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State, Colorado State they would have faced some upper level QB and receiving talents...maybe yes?

Didn't Illinois State nearly beat them this year trying to "out Bison the Bison". Illinois State put up a hell of a defensive effort, with a relentless and singularly focused running attack... and one could argue an officials decision the other way would have cost NDSU the championship. Just saying.....

So yeah, I guess I disagree....you are going to have to at least "match the Bison... Cat on Buffalo" based on strength, toughness and scheme... and I believe you are going to first of all build a tough tough defensive unit and offensive line. And yes you will have to have skilled offensive talent to go with it, including a stout running game as well as an efficient passing game. My comments are on building a legacy program... year after year success... sure I think you are going to have "one off" years where someone is going to pull a win here or there or score a playoff upset but for long term success NDSU has the right model.

One comment a while back said you can not be successful in the modern era with a focus like NDSU. He was using the NFL as an example. Yet there have been 11 Super Bowls where the best defensive team in the NFL has played the best offensive team in the NFL... the defensive team has won 10 of 11 times. The most recent was the Bronco - Panther game just a couple years back... Broncos had a pitiful last year performance by Manning and by the end of the game Cam Newton was afraid to jump on his fumble...defense gave them two possessions inside the 10 yard line.

Anyway, just my opinion... but I think Choate is building on the right path....but can we keep/pay him enough to keep him many years to build that legacy program here.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:48 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:31 pm
PapaG wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
PapaG wrote:
btribby wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Who'd have think it.

Cats came back from 22 point deficit against an apparently playoff bound team from across the divide last year.

Came back from a 21 point deficit this year against the #1 FCS passing team in the nation and the #1 FCS passing QB (NAU and Case Cookus both finished 1st in passing in FCS this year).

Trey Lance only averaged 174 ypg this year. The Senior years for Wentz and Stick (sp?), NDSU never averaged 200 ypg.

Point is where you want to focus your team direction. I have said it before but Choate’s goal is to build a tough defensive team with an excellent rushing attack and “efficient” passing attack. A tough defensive minded team won’t see those 20 point deficits to overcome.....if we get to level Choate wants to take the team. I haven’t looked back at the NDSU games for their championship years but would be interesting to know if they have ever faced over a 20 point deficit with all those tough defenses....every one finishing in the top 10 defenses in the nation and allowing less than 20 ppg scored against....

So I guess I am differing with your opinion that you have to have a great passing game to win the FCS. Efficient yes....but first of all give me a defense and rushing game.
I said very good teams. Not a mediocre Griz team that was a borderline at-large team. Why people continue to think that what they have in Missoula is a so-so program baffles me. Their academics are terrible. Their facilities are fine but not elite. MSU has the edge now in the rivalry for many reasons, and the Bobcats haven’t had an elite modern QB since Prukop.

What a ride