MSU vs DumB predictions

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU vs DumB predictions

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:14 am

BadlandsGrizFanAgain wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:09 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:20 pm
It's Defense that wins championships, and our D is better than their D! At home, The STREAK continues...no need for analysis! 8)
Early in the season I would have agreed...now not so much.

The griz d has been playing pretty phenomenal as of late. Were playing a ton of young guys that are showing talent like we havent had here in a while. They cause a lot of "weird" things to happen to opposing QBs...lots of tipped balls. Gubnner leads the team in INTs.

It will be interesting to see how Rovig handles the chaotic play that our front line generates.
Oh, I like the game and the matchups as much as you do. I think you are better than last year, and so are we...I just like us more than you at this point. We have weaknesses and so do the griz. Saturday we see who was a pretender and who was a contender all along.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:47 am

catsrback76 wrote:
It's Defense that wins championships, and our D is better than their D! At home, The STREAK continues...no need for analysis! 8)

The griz d has been playing pretty phenomenal as of late. Were playing a ton of young guys that are showing talent like we havent had here in a while. They cause a lot of "weird" things to happen to opposing QBs...lots of tipped balls. Gubnner leads the team in INTs.

It will be interesting to see how Rovig handles the chaotic play that our front line generates.
I am very concerned about this.....Rovig has had A LOT of balls tipped at the LOS.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:28 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:47 am
catsrback76 wrote:

I am very concerned about this.....Rovig has had A LOT of balls tipped at the LOS.
Agree. TR needs to add a pump fake to his arsenal. I don't know that I've ever seen one from him.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:33 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:35 pm
I am 59 years old. Just once between now and the pearly gates I want a game where everything goes wrong for the pinkos and we roll 50-3. Lord knows its happened to us many, many times in my lifetime. Don't get me wrong, I am THRILLED by a win, any kind of win. Bust JUST ONCE I want us to dismantle them in a laugher.

Is this the year? Not likely. And if we win by one, I'll be dancing in the streets. But I really really want that rout. Just once. Pretty please.
A repeat of 1985

We won two games that year, after winning a National Championship the year before. Eastern Oregon State (NAIA), and Montana.

Everything went wrong for them, and everything went right for us. 41-18, and it wasn't even that close.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:35 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:28 pm
RobertCats wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

Agree. TR needs to add a pump fake to his arsenal. I don't know that I've ever seen one from him.
The dropped Jonsen pass in the UND game, Jonsen was so open because of a pump fake.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:00 pm

catatac wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

He definitely needs to use it more often. He had a good one a few weeks back on the sure touchdown that TJ dropped. I think it was against UND but I may be wrong. With everybody saying he is a 1 read guy (I disagree with a bit), the pump fake could really take the defense out of position trying to jump routes. I think double moves would be huge for him.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:12 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:35 pm
catatac wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

The dropped Jonsen pass in the UND game, Jonsen was so open because of a pump fake.
Good catch, I forgot about that, and tells me he probably does it more than I notice.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:32 pm

catatac wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

At least 2 or 3 of the attempted screen passes that got knocked down were huge gainers. The one against Davis right before the half may have been a touchdown, it was Jones and 3 blockers with no green jerseys insight. He needs to learn that the screen, flare pass does not need to be a pretty, perfect bullet, just get it there and let your player do the rest with YAC.

BadlandsGrizFanAgain
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BadlandsGrizFanAgain » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:48 pm

catatac wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

Isnt he like freaking 6'7?

BadlandsGrizFanAgain
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BadlandsGrizFanAgain » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:53 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:32 pm
catatac wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

At least 2 or 3 of the attempted screen passes that got knocked down were huge gainers. The one against Davis right before the half may have been a touchdown, it was Jones and 3 blockers with no green jerseys insight. He needs to learn that the screen, flare pass does not need to be a pretty, perfect bullet, just get it there and let your player do the rest with YAC.
IDK how well the screen game will work. I think teams that beat the Griz need to be able to throw it over our corners and safeties heads.

With our linebackers range sideline to sideline and our safeties abilities in run support, teams havent been very successful offensively if they keep things in front of our defense. If you leave the Griz defense in situations where they can attack, the defense looks like a top in the country.

Teams that are able to make them turn their backs and defend have had success. Our safeties will all bite on run support fakes because of how aggressive they play.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:54 pm

Going with my head, it's hard to pick against the griz. They've looked pretty strong all season really, except for the Sac State game. The rout of Weber last week was a bit misleading though, because WSU did at least as much to lose that game, as UM did to win it. As I see it, the biggest problem for us, is that pass defense is their biggest weakness, and our biggest weakness just happens to be passing offense, so who knows if we'll be able to take advantage of that. I was encouraged by Rovig's play last week, and hopefully he'll have another good game this Saturday. If the griz can make us completely one dimensional, I'm afraid it's going to be a long afternoon. We don't have to throw for 300 yards, we just have to complete a few passes to keep their defense honest. It really turned the tide in last year's game, once Andersen hit a few throws downfield in the 2nd half, which really loosened things up for the running game.

Head - UM 31-24
Heart - MSU 31-28

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:48 pm
catatac wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

Exactly. I think he tries to get cute with his arm angle sometimes. I think he's trying to play free and loose, which is good, but then it slips into careless sometimes. If he plays with confidence and doesn't make mistakes, the Bobcats will be hard to beat.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:24 pm

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:53 pm
RobertCats wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:32 pm
catatac wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

IDK how well the screen game will work. I think teams that beat the Griz need to be able to throw it over our corners and safeties heads.

With our linebackers range sideline to sideline and our safeties abilities in run support, teams havent been very successful offensively if they keep things in front of our defense. If you leave the Griz defense in situations where they can attack, the defense looks like a top in the country.

Teams that are able to make them turn their backs and defend have had success. Our safeties will all bite on run support fakes because of how aggressive they play.
Oh I agree, I should have been more clear with the intent of my post. I was talking about Rovig's propensity for getting his balls tipped at the LOS and the fact it happens quite often on screen passes head-scratching to me. Although I could see us catching the griz once with a screen with the amount they blitz.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:57 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:56 pm
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:48 pm
catatac wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

Exactly. I think he tries to get cute with his arm angle sometimes. I think he's trying to play free and loose, which is good, but then it slips into careless sometimes. If he plays with confidence and doesn't make mistakes, the Bobcats will be hard to beat.
Brock Osweiler seemed to get at least 5 passes a game tipped. Bauman had several and he actually is 6'7". Rovig is around 6'5" so it should be pretty easy to pass over the line.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

BadlandsGrizFanAgain
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BadlandsGrizFanAgain » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:10 pm

John K wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:54 pm
Going with my head, it's hard to pick against the griz. They've looked pretty strong all season really, except for the Sac State game. The rout of Weber last week was a bit misleading though, because WSU did at least as much to lose that game, as UM did to win it. As I see it, the biggest problem for us, is that pass defense is their biggest weakness, and our biggest weakness just happens to be passing offense, so who knows if we'll be able to take advantage of that. I was encouraged by Rovig's play last week, and hopefully he'll have another good game this Saturday. If the griz can make us completely one dimensional, I'm afraid it's going to be a long afternoon. We don't have to throw for 300 yards, we just have to complete a few passes to keep their defense honest. It really turned the tide in last year's game, once Andersen hit a few throws downfield in the 2nd half, which really loosened things up for the running game.

Head - UM 31-24
Heart - MSU 31-28
I honestly think the Griz will let you hit a few passes deep and not adjust....more so say do it again..do it again, lol

robgriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by robgriz » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:41 pm

catgradtimes2 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:24 am
It's that time of year. The cats get their 4th straight in a beat down.

41-20
Interesting...not even close...but interesting

FTG06'
Member # Retired

Post by FTG06' » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:34 am

robgriz wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:41 pm
catgradtimes2 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:24 am
It's that time of year. The cats get their 4th straight in a beat down.

41-20
Interesting...not even close...but interesting
Well that’s like, your opinion man.

4-peat Cats: 31
Bobby’s lost children: 21

Men, do your duty.
3-7-77

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:10 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:53 am
I’m not buying the hype from UM’s win over Weber. They scored 21 first half points off huge blunders. And they blew three points by taking a huge 20-yard sack before halftime. I heard Weber was down three starters on defense? Not sure that’s true, can anyone verify.

I credit UM for capitalizing on those plays and I don’t think UM is a bad team that just got lucky or that they wouldn’t have won without that. But those blunders and the lack of starters (if true) are key elements.

The UM score to start the second half was huge.

Getting that lead really put Weber in passing mode and they’re not a good passing team, especially in that kind of environment.

UM scored on two huge pass plays. 79 and 59 yards. MSU hasn’t allowed a play over 33 yards the past four games.

That game was in Missoula, not that home field has been a big factor in Cat-Griz games, but it’s always a factor on the plus side for both MSU and UM in non-Cat-Griz games.

Sneed is banged up and has been reluctant to run since returning. He’s has just three true runs for 26 yards, so he is effective (8.7 per), but is not presenting himself as a threat. He’s been sacked three times to account for the rest of his official rush attempts. Six for 7 yards.

MSU will, of course, play Sneed as if he can run like usual. Sneed lit MSU up last year throwing the ball and he was active running with 15 true rushes for 58 yards. He’s 32-52-2 506 yards and four TDs the past two games. Within that are TD passes of 44, 79 and 59 yards.

It appears Akem isn’t playing. He didn’t have a reception and isn’t listed in the PPR in either game. Sulser hasn’t played in the past two games. Hard to say how big an effect that will be, because Sneed makes them look good. Akem had 6-147-1 last year. Sulser 2-27-1.

MSU sacked Sneed 4 times last year, but I don’t think it will happen again as UM is better along the OL. However, crowd noise could be a factor something Sneed hasn’t experienced in his career at UM. The Oregon crowd was big (49,098), but not especially loud. UM wasn’t penalized for any false starts in the game.

UM is 3-2 on the road this year. Those three wins were all impressive.

MSU has areas that give me pause also. I’m just trying to point out that one win doesn’t define a team.

If MSU is able to run and stop the pass, MSU wins. If not, UM wins. If it’s a mix it’s a tight game.

I think UM will pass the ball effectively, but that MSU won’t give up the long pass plays. I think UM will do well against the run early, but MSU will be in the game and continue to run then find success late in the game.

MSU 34
UM 23
Brody Burke and Dave Jones have been out of the Weber secondary for the past few games. Not sure if they were injured or beat out, so I’m not sure how much that hurt their pass D.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:19 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:10 am
iaafan wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:53 am
I’m not buying the hype from UM’s win over Weber. They scored 21 first half points off huge blunders. And they blew three points by taking a huge 20-yard sack before halftime. I heard Weber was down three starters on defense? Not sure that’s true, can anyone verify.

I credit UM for capitalizing on those plays and I don’t think UM is a bad team that just got lucky or that they wouldn’t have won without that. But those blunders and the lack of starters (if true) are key elements.

The UM score to start the second half was huge.

Getting that lead really put Weber in passing mode and they’re not a good passing team, especially in that kind of environment.

UM scored on two huge pass plays. 79 and 59 yards. MSU hasn’t allowed a play over 33 yards the past four games.

That game was in Missoula, not that home field has been a big factor in Cat-Griz games, but it’s always a factor on the plus side for both MSU and UM in non-Cat-Griz games.

Sneed is banged up and has been reluctant to run since returning. He’s has just three true runs for 26 yards, so he is effective (8.7 per), but is not presenting himself as a threat. He’s been sacked three times to account for the rest of his official rush attempts. Six for 7 yards.

MSU will, of course, play Sneed as if he can run like usual. Sneed lit MSU up last year throwing the ball and he was active running with 15 true rushes for 58 yards. He’s 32-52-2 506 yards and four TDs the past two games. Within that are TD passes of 44, 79 and 59 yards.

It appears Akem isn’t playing. He didn’t have a reception and isn’t listed in the PPR in either game. Sulser hasn’t played in the past two games. Hard to say how big an effect that will be, because Sneed makes them look good. Akem had 6-147-1 last year. Sulser 2-27-1.

MSU sacked Sneed 4 times last year, but I don’t think it will happen again as UM is better along the OL. However, crowd noise could be a factor something Sneed hasn’t experienced in his career at UM. The Oregon crowd was big (49,098), but not especially loud. UM wasn’t penalized for any false starts in the game.

UM is 3-2 on the road this year. Those three wins were all impressive.

MSU has areas that give me pause also. I’m just trying to point out that one win doesn’t define a team.

If MSU is able to run and stop the pass, MSU wins. If not, UM wins. If it’s a mix it’s a tight game.

I think UM will pass the ball effectively, but that MSU won’t give up the long pass plays. I think UM will do well against the run early, but MSU will be in the game and continue to run then find success late in the game.

MSU 34
UM 23
Brody Burke and Dave Jones have been out of the Weber secondary for the past few games. Not sure if they were injured or beat out, so I’m not sure how much that hurt their pass D.
Burke and Jones were both starters for the first few games. Neither played vs UM and I assume they’re out for season.
WR/KR Rashid Shaheed was injured on one of the first plays and didn’t return. He was on crutches. TE Malone was also hurt and on crutches. WR Cooley took a helmet to helmet and caught just one pass. RB Davis took a big hit, but came back and he was hurt vs ND the previous game. Jackson was hurt vs UND and had just one carry. DB Garrett went out in the second quarter. DB Collins was hurt late. QB Constantine was injured late in the game.

I think the three muffed snaps in first half and the attrition really hurt Weber in this game.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:01 pm

31 - 30

I've looked at this game a lot of different ways and think both teams will be around 30, but home field and Choate understanding that beating the gizz is where his 'bread is buttered' makes me think we'll win a close one at home.