Big win!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Big win!

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:29 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:19 pm
Why are people so quick to discount this win? UCD has 6 losses. 4 of the 6 are to FBS Cal and top 10 FCS teams.
No clue. I guess because Davis was only really good a month ago when the griz beat them. Now they’re really bad...

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by autocat » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:32 pm

When you mention West Bonner Community College you must also add "school of academic excellence" or its not fair!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:48 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:17 pm
What's funny about the troll is that UM is very similar in terms of quality wins. They have a nice OOC FCS victory (Monmouth). Then you have the Weber win.

It will trigger them to read this, but UM won big because Josh Davis, one of the candidates for best offensive player in the BSC and the basis of the WEB offense, was hurt and limited to 9 ineffective carries.

So WEB had to put the game onto Constantine, who is a game manager, and the results were predictable. But by all means, UM should assume themselves invincible. I'm all for it.
Ya, losing that stud RB really hurt them. Also, the thing that surprised me the most about that game yesterday was how sloppy Weber looked. That's really not normal for a Jay Hill coached team. Fumbled snaps, turnovers, blocked kick, missed tackles, dropped passes, etc. Yes of course some of that credit goes to the Griz playing hard and sticking it to them but the lack of execution from Weber was surprising.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:59 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Why are people so quick to discount this win? UCD has 6 losses. 4 of the 6 are to FBS Cal and top 10 FCS teams.
I don't think it should be discounted. It's neither worthless nor a resume-maker. It's solid.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:08 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:59 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
I don't think it should be discounted. It's neither worthless nor a resume-maker. It's solid.
But much closer to a resume maker. We clinched a playoff spot before the brawl. Been a long time since we did that.

We’re a win away from a seed and a bye. Been a long time for that as well.

Our playoffs started yesterday and we win. Huge win over a pretty good team

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:20 pm

It was the first home game Maier didn’t throw a TD pass.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:43 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:08 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
But much closer to a resume maker. We clinched a playoff spot before the brawl. Been a long time since we did that.

Definitely a resume maker. Davis was ranked in the top 10 for parts of the season. If Davis wins that game yesterday, they could be playoff eligible with a win next week. Slight correction about their losses though. 5 of their 6 losses were to either FBS or Top 10 FCS teams. They lost to Cal, NDSU, Weber, UM, MSU and No Dak (who has been top 25 for portions of the season).

And don’t forget that Maier is the reigning Big Sky Offensive Player of the Year. It was senior night for Davis as well. This was a big win.

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:23 pm

catatac wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:05 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:34 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:20 pm
Catastrophy11 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:10 pm
MSU Toddler wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:36 am
King cupcake - topping dUMb post with yet another.
Maybe, you should just stick to trying to convince each other you had some
super High-Quality losses against teams that are a combined 18 - 13

** Griz losses are against teams that are a combined 17 - 4 **
The Griz are 3-2 on the road. All three wins vs sub .500 teams. Two losses by a combined 84-25. MSU is 4-1 at home with only loss by 13 to a team that beat UM by 27.

Like your facts, these don’t mean anything.
:lol:
This is always such a fun week! Egriz is already in fine form this morning. More entertaining than usual. I’ve learned the griz already have their spot in the chipper locked up and they are beating the Cats by about 40. Oh boy.
Oh ya, it is such a joy listening to some of them now. Like clockwork, instantly overconfident and there are a bunch of Griz fans out there that are seriously convinced the Griz are a lock for Frisco. As for Cat\Griz - Griz have too many horses for the Cats, and now with Hauck having his team play the way he wants, there is no way in hell the Bobcats are going to put up much of a fight. Griz lines will destroy the Bobcat lines on both sides and run away with this one. :roll:
Some are already buying tickets for Frisco.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:36 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Oh the results of this win are great for sure! I'm just saying that I think the opponent was good, not great.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:42 pm

It ain’t who ya play, it’s how ya play. The Bobcats have played their best football the last three weeks. I don’t recall the last time a MSU team has played this well over a three game stretch. Even when they played Norfolk they didn’t play this well. MSU was only up 7 with 2:00 to go in the half. Gave up TDs on both of Norfolk’s red zone trips.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:04 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:29 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
No clue. I guess because Davis was only really good a month ago when the griz beat them. Now they’re really bad...
Just like Sac. They were terrible when they beat us but remarkably the previous week they were awesome when they beat the griz... Remarkable how bad they were in just a week removed...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:26 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:43 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Definitely a resume maker. Davis was ranked in the top 10 for parts of the season. If Davis wins that game yesterday, they could be playoff eligible with a win next week. Slight correction about their losses though. 5 of their 6 losses were to either FBS or Top 10 FCS teams. They lost to Cal, NDSU, Weber, UM, MSU and No Dak (who has been top 25 for portions of the season).

And don’t forget that Maier is the reigning Big Sky Offensive Player of the Year. It was senior night for Davis as well. This was a big win.
I think those losses illustrate that UCD is a cut below the really good teams in the FCS. Their only wins were against pretty lousy BSC teams and a one decent Pioneer League team.

They have had five cracks at good to great FCS competition and came up empty five times.

So I think they're a solid teams and it's a *good* win, but it's not a signature win. SEMO was better.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:41 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:26 pm
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

I think those losses illustrate that UCD is a cut below the really good teams in the FCS. Their only wins were against pretty lousy BSC teams and a one decent Pioneer League team.

They have had five cracks at good to great FCS competition and came up empty five times.

So I think they're a solid teams and it's a *good* win, but it's not a signature win. SEMO was better.
That is a reasonable point. Based on that frame of thought, it appears that the Griz only have one quality win as well with Weber. It is hard to count Monmouth from the Big South as a quality team.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:42 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

I think Davis is better than SEMO. (Thats mostly based off the computer rankings-maybe its a coin flip, but I don't see a world in which SEMO hangs with the likes of NDSU). And until the last 2 weeks the Cats have been somewhere between awful at worst and mediocre at best on the road for the better part of 2 seasons. So, records aside, I'm going to go ahead and say that this is the best non-Brawl win in Choate's tenure.

I do agree that UCD is a cut below...I think there's a top tier of BSC teams (SAC, WSU, and, it pains me to say it...dUMb); then a significant step down to MSU, UCD, UND, and EWOO. With MSU being at the top of that tier (I'm still counting UND as a BSC team).

At the end of it all, the playoff committees look at the following to define signature wins:

1) beating up on bad/mediocre teams
2) beating good teams (i.e. in the top half of the power 3) at home
3) beating good teams on the road
4) beating great teams (i.e. a playoff seed or bubble seed) at home
5) beating great teams on the road

Add in bonus points for wins of 15+.

Davis is a good team. So its a nice solid win. Like I said probably the best in the last 4 years (or tied with SEMO).

Obviously, if the Cats win next week, we are in the top tier.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:14 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:41 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

That is a reasonable point. Based on that frame of thought, it appears that the Griz only have one quality win as well with Weber. It is hard to count Monmouth from the Big South as a quality team.
Agree. And a Josh Davis-less Weber at that.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:16 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:42 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

I think Davis is better than SEMO. (Thats mostly based off the computer rankings-maybe its a coin flip, but I don't see a world in which SEMO hangs with the likes of NDSU). And until the last 2 weeks the Cats have been somewhere between awful at worst and mediocre at best on the road for the better part of 2 seasons. So, records aside, I'm going to go ahead and say that this is the best non-Brawl win in Choate's tenure.

I do agree that UCD is a cut below...I think there's a top tier of BSC teams (SAC, WSU, and, it pains me to say it...dUMb); then a significant step down to MSU, UCD, UND, and EWOO. With MSU being at the top of that tier (I'm still counting UND as a BSC team).

At the end of it all, the playoff committees look at the following to define signature wins:

1) beating up on bad/mediocre teams
2) beating good teams (i.e. in the top half of the power 3) at home
3) beating good teams on the road
4) beating great teams (i.e. a playoff seed or bubble seed) at home
5) beating great teams on the road

Add in bonus points for wins of 15+.

Davis is a good team. So its a nice solid win. Like I said probably the best in the last 4 years (or tied with SEMO).

Obviously, if the Cats win next week, we are in the top tier.
I understand hanging your hat on that as a road win, given the previous tendencies. I'm just saying that I don't think UCD is much better than their record.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:39 pm

So what happened to UCD this year? Was Diss that big of a loss? They didn't graduate a ton of seniors and Maier was still pretty good go r the year, as was Gilliam. So weird looking at them and Sac.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:07 am

Catastrophy11 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:04 am
Teams Cats beat are 30 - 57
Teams who beat the Cats are 18 - 13
But, there were definitely some high Quality Wins in there somewhere....
This is a legit weak spot to attack the Bobcats on this year. But one thing I would add to contrast with our little community college brothers is this - not once all year have the Bobcats been on the receiving end of a beat down against an FCS opponent in humiliating fashion like what happened when UMCC offered up 35 points in the first half against Sac St in an old-fashioned a$$ whooping. You all received proper beat down in that game this year. We were beat by the same team, but not in the same humiliating fashion.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:23 am

There are all kinds of stats and other BS out there to use to make a claim that your team has the upper hand.

As far as big wins go that’s in the eye of the beholder.

I like the way MSU is playing right now on both sides of the ball. For the fourth straight year the Bobcats go into the game playing their best football of the season.

I get a kick out of Griz fans. For the past three years they’ve had as good, or better, record and were saying they’re better because of this, that and the other thing. That they’d beat us easily, etc. Then after they lost, they’d say that the only time we ever beat them is when they’re not very good. Goes hand in hand with the team beating us sucking, but when same beats them they’re great.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:37 am

technoCat wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:39 pm
So what happened to UCD this year? Was Diss that big of a loss? They didn't graduate a ton of seniors and Maier was still pretty good go r the year, as was Gilliam. So weird looking at them and Sac.
I haven't watched them well enough to be dogmatic about it, but I don't think they changed from last year; I think they just had to play tougher competition.

At the FCS level, they didn't play much in terms of quality opponents last year. They played EWU, who ended the season ranked #2 and smashed them 59-20 in the regular season, and then beat them again in the playoffs (albeit in a much closer game-- hard to beat the same team twice in just a matter of weeks). After EW, their best opponent was a UNI team that finished the year ranked 23rd. They got them at home and beat them by 7.

This year they've had to play much better competition (NDSU, UM, MSU, WEB), and they've gotten exposed in the same way that EWU exposed them last year. So perhaps it isn't that much changed in regards to the Aggies, but that they stepped up the level of competition.

These better competitors also had the benefit of more tape on what Maier and that offense are trying to do. And what sets apart from top of the FCS from the rest of the division is play along the LOS. I think UCD ran into OL and DL that they weren't really equipped to handle.

That's my read on it.