Best Defensive hit from the Cats ever!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: Best Defensive hit from the Cats ever!

Post by RickRund » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:49 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:29 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:23 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:02 pm
Hardest hit I've still ever seen during an MSU game wasn't a defensive player, it was Ryan Elliott completely ending someone's life on a kick return back in the early 2000's. Can't remember who it was against (he probably still can't remember anything either), but oh my god, it was brutal!

100% this. Not even close. I honestly thought the guy was dead.
Omgosh I remember that. Simply vicious.
Quit teasing... Dig up some video! :)

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:57 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:27 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:46 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:57 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:40 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:04 pm
When I read the thread title it was the first hit I thought of. After watching I'm pretty sure it would get flagged today.
For what? Shoulder to the chest and no contact with either players helmet.
Hit on a defenseless receiver. It would clearly draw a flag these days. Not saying I agree, but that's the new interpretation.
Doesn't there have to be forcible contact to the head or neck area still? Guys don't get flagged for making hard hits on "defenseless" receivers over the middle if it's clean.
I think you are thinking of targeting. In this particular example, there is no targeting. However, you have a defenseless receiver, as defined by the NCAA: "a receiver attempting to catch a forward pass or in position to receive a backward pass, or one who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a ball carrier". Won't get flagged for targeting, but most likely an unnecessary roughness penalty.
I guess I'm interpreting it differently.
"Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is: forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is lower than the player’s neck" sounds like as long as the contact remains below that area after the initial hit it's legal.

I could be reading it wrong though. Mac's hit was with the shoulder in the chest and never higher.

profisme
Member # Retired

Post by profisme » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:00 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Hardest hit I've still ever seen during an MSU game wasn't a defensive player, it was Ryan Elliott completely ending someone's life on a kick return back in the early 2000's. Can't remember who it was against (he probably still can't remember anything either), but oh my god, it was brutal!

Yes. That was against Sac State. Corey Smith punt return TD. Ryan Elliott hit the punter and he went into a helicopter spin. It was the biggest hit I've ever seen.

-Elias P. Harmon-

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:30 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Cal state Northridge. I was at that game on an msu Friday weekend i think. We were on the south side, hit was along home sideline. You could hear it all over the stadium. That one would get flagged today as it was a crack back "illegal blindside block" today. Huge huge hit.

profisme
Member # Retired

Post by profisme » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:36 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:30 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Cal state Northridge. I was at that game on an msu Friday weekend i think. We were on the south side, hit was along home sideline. You could hear it all over the stadium. That one would get flagged today as it was a crack back "illegal blindside block" today. Huge huge hit.
It would have been an illegal crackback hit. But it was Sac State. Northridge was done with football in 2001 and the return was by Corey Smith for a TD.

-Elias P. Harmon-

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:45 pm

Those are all great hits and videos, if someone has a video of the Elliot hit please post it.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:49 pm

profisme wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:36 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
It would have been an illegal crackback hit. But it was Sac State. Northridge was done with football in 2001 and the return was by Corey Smith for a TD.
I'll still argue it. 2001 was the year, as i was there as a senior in high school (2001). Don't remember that we scored on the play. Possible there's 2 different ones? Game I'm thinking of was September 29, 2001. Vivid memory of it. But maybe it's fading as that's getting to be a minute ago.

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:24 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:49 pm
profisme wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
I'll still argue it. 2001 was the year, as i was there as a senior in high school (2001). Don't remember that we scored on the play. Possible there's 2 different ones? Game I'm thinking of was September 29, 2001. Vivid memory of it. But maybe it's fading as that's getting to be a minute ago.
You are both right. 8)

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:25 pm

profisme wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:00 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:

Yes. That was against Sac State. Corey Smith punt return TD. Ryan Elliott hit the punter and he went into a helicopter spin. It was the biggest hit I've ever seen.
I didn't get to see that hit, but Ryan Elliott was always laying wood so it's no surprise! :)

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:35 pm

exppi wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:24 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:49 pm
profisme wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
You are both right. 8)

Ha i thought maybe. I was in college for the sac state one so it's maybe a bit hazier. Now that's a rare, rare thing on a message board right there!

profisme
Member # Retired

Post by profisme » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:07 pm

I would be surprised if the Bobcats played Northridge in 2001 at home, because i came down for my college visit in 2000 and the Cats got waxed by Northridge that game. If they played back to back years at home against them, I stand corrected. I don't remember the 2001 schedule and can't seem to find it online.

I do definitely remember sitting on the 45 yard line in the old student section and seeing Elliott crush the Sac State punter in 2004 however.

-Elias P. Harmon-

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:12 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:57 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
When I read the thread title it was the first hit I thought of. After watching I'm pretty sure it would get flagged today.
Hit on a defenseless receiver. It would clearly draw a flag these days. Not saying I agree, but that's the new interpretation.
Doesn't there have to be forcible contact to the head or neck area still? Guys don't get flagged for making hard hits on "defenseless" receivers over the middle if it's clean.
I think you are thinking of targeting. In this particular example, there is no targeting. However, you have a defenseless receiver, as defined by the NCAA: "a receiver attempting to catch a forward pass or in position to receive a backward pass, or one who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a ball carrier". Won't get flagged for targeting, but most likely an unnecessary roughness penalty.
"Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is: forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is lower than the player’s neck" sounds like as long as the contact remains below that area after the initial hit it's legal.

I could be reading it wrong though. Mac's hit was with the shoulder in the chest and never higher.
Anymore, it's a judgment call, and with the focus being on safety and protecting the offensive player I would bet that play gets flagged 90% of the time these days.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:17 pm

profisme wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:07 pm
I would be surprised if the Bobcats played Northridge in 2001 at home, because i came down for my college visit in 2000 and the Cats got waxed by Northridge that game. If they played back to back years at home against them, I stand corrected. I don't remember the 2001 schedule and can't seem to find it online.

I do definitely remember sitting on the 45 yard line in the old student section and seeing Elliott crush the Sac State punter in 2004 however.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Ca ... m#Schedule

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:34 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:17 pm
profisme wrote:

Sorry but here is Cal State Northridge QB in the BSC that lost that final game in 2001. He was my next door neighbor when I lived in San Diego.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/c ... 951646002/

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:07 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:57 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:

Also, launching or thrusting upward. The rules haven’t changed that much in the last 4 years. I think Mac was clearly making a classic tackle.

I remember Caleb Scriebeis getting suspended for what I thought was a questionable hit on SUU receiver on a crossing route...that was a big hit. I just went back and looked. Was one of the biggest hits I remember & I think still a BS suspension.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:32 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:34 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
profisme wrote:

Sorry but here is Cal State Northridge QB in the BSC that lost that final game in 2001. He was my next door neighbor when I lived in San Diego.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/c ... 951646002/
I was trying to think of his name after this discussion jogged my memory. I remember him being a pretty good player, ran around well and threw it well also. Good find. So I think they were out of the BSC that final year and we played them as a nonconference opponent (educated guess); maybe that is the reason for back to back home games. Regardless, the hit was thunderous, as was the sac one. Profisme has jogged that memory loose too, i remember thinking the punter couldn't possibly get up.

profisme
Member # Retired

Post by profisme » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:42 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
profisme wrote:

Props. It is weird they would play at MSU two years in a row. But apparently they did.

-Elias P. Harmon-

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:38 am

profisme wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:42 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
profisme wrote:

Props. It is weird they would play at MSU two years in a row. But apparently they did.
Yeah, per that link, they played only 3 home games and 7 road games. No wonder they dropped football! That said, MSU did get a decent RB in Bruce Molock as a transfer from CSN. Possibly also his older brother? I think he was a LB? Or did I just imagine all of that?

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:38 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:38 am
profisme wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:42 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
profisme wrote:

Yeah, per that link, they played only 3 home games and 7 road games. No wonder they dropped football! That said, MSU did get a decent RB in Bruce Molock as a transfer from CSN. Possibly also his older brother? I think he was a LB? Or did I just imagine all of that?
Might have been younger brother? Jonathan molock? Definitely linebacker, played there some and on special teams IIRC. Yeah I think they were playing out of conference that year or maybe even independent. Tough way to make a go of it.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:58 am

I don’t even have to watch the hit to know it’d be a flag today. I don’t think the refs even analyze the hits.

If it’s a hard hit, most likely a flag. A hard hit you can hear throughout the entire stadium, definitely a flag. A hard hit heard throughout the entire stadium that makes the fans go bezerk, flag couldn’t come out faster.

Not saying I like or don’t like it, just the way it is. Plays like these draw a flag about 98% of the time.