The real 37

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

FTG247365
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 693
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:58 pm

Re: The real 37

Post by FTG247365 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:32 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:21 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:17 am
mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:07 am
there is an interesting "what if"... what if he would have worked out with the cats (and hadn't been such a nut job) and this team had both Bryce Sterk and Marino..... my god.
Marino would've graduated by now if he stuck with MSU.
True but I think last year he would've been a senior.

Talent was never the question with Marino. Glad to hear he seemingly got things turned around.
His natural position was inside IMO, just like he ended doing @ UAB. Glad he found his path, hopefully he makes to playing on Sundays.



thefrank1
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 601
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:14 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: The real 37

Post by thefrank1 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:48 pm

Congrats Bryce!


While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

User avatar
Montanabob
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1198
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Two Dot

Re: The real 37

Post by Montanabob » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:55 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:17 am
mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:07 am
there is an interesting "what if"... what if he would have worked out with the cats (and hadn't been such a nut job) and this team had both Bryce Sterk and Marino..... my god.
Marino would've graduated by now if he stuck with MSU.
Marino? He was booted and would have never graduated here.


MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

kwcat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1445
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:34 am

Re: The real 37

Post by kwcat » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:27 pm

[[/media]



User avatar
84CatGrad
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 362
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:05 pm

Re: The real 37

Post by 84CatGrad » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:31 pm

Htowngriz wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:11 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:41 am
Htowngriz wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:39 am
iaafan wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:34 am
If you don’t count Sterk’s nonconference stats, then he’s not as good as their #37 Sims, according to egriz.
Comparing stats between a DE and an interior lineman makes no sense at all. They're both among the best in the conference at their respective positions.
It's really that simple. Both great players.

This will just be another in the long line of petty pissing matches between what I sadly have to assume are grown men.... #-o
Before this gets too friendly and sensible, Sterk couldn't carry Zack Wagemann or Tyrone Holmes' jocks. :)
You're right about that. Sterk is a criminology major. WAY too smart to come anywhere close to anybody's jock.



AFCAT
Member # Retired
Posts: 2427
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: The real 37

Post by AFCAT » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:38 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:31 pm
Htowngriz wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:11 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:41 am
Htowngriz wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:39 am
iaafan wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:34 am
If you don’t count Sterk’s nonconference stats, then he’s not as good as their #37 Sims, according to egriz.
Comparing stats between a DE and an interior lineman makes no sense at all. They're both among the best in the conference at their respective positions.
It's really that simple. Both great players.

This will just be another in the long line of petty pissing matches between what I sadly have to assume are grown men.... #-o
Before this gets too friendly and sensible, Sterk couldn't carry Zack Wagemann or Tyrone Holmes' jocks. :)
You're right about that. Sterk is a criminology major. WAY too smart to come anywhere close to anybody's jock.
So, do griz players spend a lot of time trying to carry other football players jocks? Seems like a strange pastime.


Want to pledge or donate to the Bobcat facilities plan?!
http://www.msuaf.org/msuathleticcomplex
Contact the Alumni Foundation at:
Phone - 406-994-2092
Mail - P.O. Box 172750, Bozeman, MT 59717

User avatar
Montanabob
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1198
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Two Dot

Re: The real 37

Post by Montanabob » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:40 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:31 pm
Htowngriz wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:11 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:41 am
Htowngriz wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:39 am
iaafan wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:34 am
If you don’t count Sterk’s nonconference stats, then he’s not as good as their #37 Sims, according to egriz.
Comparing stats between a DE and an interior lineman makes no sense at all. They're both among the best in the conference at their respective positions.
It's really that simple. Both great players.

This will just be another in the long line of petty pissing matches between what I sadly have to assume are grown men.... #-o
Before this gets too friendly and sensible, Sterk couldn't carry Zack Wagemann or Tyrone Holmes' jocks. :)
You're right about that. Sterk is a criminology major. WAY too smart to come anywhere close to anybody's jock.
So what you are saying is that after Sterk graduates, finishes his pro career, he will meet up again with the UM players in court?


MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

LIBBYCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 411
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:10 pm

Re: The real 37

Post by LIBBYCAT » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:42 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:40 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:31 pm
Htowngriz wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:11 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:41 am
Htowngriz wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:39 am
iaafan wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:34 am
If you don’t count Sterk’s nonconference stats, then he’s not as good as their #37 Sims, according to egriz.
Comparing stats between a DE and an interior lineman makes no sense at all. They're both among the best in the conference at their respective positions.
It's really that simple. Both great players.

This will just be another in the long line of petty pissing matches between what I sadly have to assume are grown men.... #-o
Before this gets too friendly and sensible, Sterk couldn't carry Zack Wagemann or Tyrone Holmes' jocks. :)
You're right about that. Sterk is a criminology major. WAY too smart to come anywhere close to anybody's jock.
So what you are saying is that after Sterk graduates, finishes his pro career, he will meet up again with the UM players in court?
LMAO



GRIZFNZ
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:02 pm

Re: The real 37

Post by GRIZFNZ » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:13 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:31 pm
Htowngriz wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:11 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:41 am
Htowngriz wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:39 am
iaafan wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:34 am
If you don’t count Sterk’s nonconference stats, then he’s not as good as their #37 Sims, according to egriz.
Comparing stats between a DE and an interior lineman makes no sense at all. They're both among the best in the conference at their respective positions.
It's really that simple. Both great players.

This will just be another in the long line of petty pissing matches between what I sadly have to assume are grown men.... #-o
Before this gets too friendly and sensible, Sterk couldn't carry Zack Wagemann or Tyrone Holmes' jocks. :)
You're right about that. Sterk is a criminology major. WAY too smart to come anywhere close to anybody's jock.
A Liberal Arts degree??? I thought all your players were rocket scientist pursuing STEM degrees. 😂😂😂



User avatar
MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:19 am
Location: Helena, MT

Re: The real 37

Post by MSU Toddler » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:29 pm

GRIZFNZ wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:13 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:31 pm
Htowngriz wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:11 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:41 am
Htowngriz wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:39 am
iaafan wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:34 am
If you don’t count Sterk’s nonconference stats, then he’s not as good as their #37 Sims, according to egriz.
Comparing stats between a DE and an interior lineman makes no sense at all. They're both among the best in the conference at their respective positions.
It's really that simple. Both great players.

This will just be another in the long line of petty pissing matches between what I sadly have to assume are grown men.... #-o
Before this gets too friendly and sensible, Sterk couldn't carry Zack Wagemann or Tyrone Holmes' jocks. :)
You're right about that. Sterk is a criminology major. WAY too smart to come anywhere close to anybody's jock.
A Liberal Arts degree??? I thought all your players were rocket scientist pursuing STEM degrees. 😂😂😂
Speaking of education - um has a new course "The Art and Science of Happiness"
https://missoulian.com/news/local/happi ... 4a4ff.html


Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Cataholic
Member # Retired
Posts: 2149
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: The real 37

Post by Cataholic » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:41 pm

GRIZFNZ wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:13 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:31 pm
Htowngriz wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:11 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:41 am
Htowngriz wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:39 am
iaafan wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:34 am
If you don’t count Sterk’s nonconference stats, then he’s not as good as their #37 Sims, according to egriz.
Comparing stats between a DE and an interior lineman makes no sense at all. They're both among the best in the conference at their respective positions.
It's really that simple. Both great players.

This will just be another in the long line of petty pissing matches between what I sadly have to assume are grown men.... #-o
Before this gets too friendly and sensible, Sterk couldn't carry Zack Wagemann or Tyrone Holmes' jocks. :)
You're right about that. Sterk is a criminology major. WAY too smart to come anywhere close to anybody's jock.
A Liberal Arts degree??? I thought all your players were rocket scientist pursuing STEM degrees. 😂😂😂
What is really amazing is that students would rather get a liberal arts degree at MSU instead of UM. A quick look at enrollment trends will confirm that fact.



User avatar
84CatGrad
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 362
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:05 pm

Re: The real 37

Post by 84CatGrad » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:12 am

GRIZFNZ wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:13 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:31 pm
Htowngriz wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:11 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:41 am
Htowngriz wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:39 am
iaafan wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:34 am
If you don’t count Sterk’s nonconference stats, then he’s not as good as their #37 Sims, according to egriz.
Comparing stats between a DE and an interior lineman makes no sense at all. They're both among the best in the conference at their respective positions.
It's really that simple. Both great players.

This will just be another in the long line of petty pissing matches between what I sadly have to assume are grown men.... #-o
Before this gets too friendly and sensible, Sterk couldn't carry Zack Wagemann or Tyrone Holmes' jocks. :)
You're right about that. Sterk is a criminology major. WAY too smart to come anywhere close to anybody's jock.
A Liberal Arts degree??? I thought all your players were rocket scientist pursuing STEM degrees. 😂😂😂
Criminology: The SCIENTIFIC study of crime and criminals.



User avatar
RobertCats
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1597
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:08 pm
Location: Conrad, MT

Re: The real 37

Post by RobertCats » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:28 am

Image



thefrank1
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 601
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:14 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: The real 37

Post by thefrank1 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:36 am

RobertCats wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:28 am
Image
Kinda has a dinosaur attack feel to it. Maybe he can convince that UA safety that dinosaurs are for real.


While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

coochorama42
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:12 pm

Re: The real 37

Post by coochorama42 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:43 am

Am I the only Bobcat fan that thinks it's stupid/arrogant of Sterk/the Bobcats to start up with the "Real 37" stuff? I mean, that number means a lot to the UofM. As Cat fans we don't have to like it, but it is a fantastic tradition. Case in point, we are copying it ourselves with #41. For me, let the #37 stay in Missoula unless some kid wants it for other reasons and proudly hand down #41.



User avatar
Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1098
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:47 pm

Re: The real 37

Post by Darth Yoda » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:48 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:43 am
Am I the only Bobcat fan that thinks it's stupid/arrogant of Sterk/the Bobcats to start up with the "Real 37" stuff? I mean, that number means a lot to the UofM. As Cat fans we don't have to like it, but it is a fantastic tradition. Case in point, we are copying it ourselves with #41. For me, let the #37 stay in Missoula unless some kid wants it for other reasons and proudly hand down #41.
You would need to have been living in the dark ages if you think the grizz actually created the number tradition and didn't copy the many examples before them. If the grizz put a #41 on the field that's better than our #41 and decide to troll us about it, then we'll just have to take our medicine. Welcome to the world of a rivalry there cooch.



Cataholic
Member # Retired
Posts: 2149
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: The real 37

Post by Cataholic » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:01 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:43 am
Am I the only Bobcat fan that thinks it's stupid/arrogant of Sterk/the Bobcats to start up with the "Real 37" stuff? I mean, that number means a lot to the UofM. As Cat fans we don't have to like it, but it is a fantastic tradition. Case in point, we are copying it ourselves with #41. For me, let the #37 stay in Missoula unless some kid wants it for other reasons and proudly hand down #41.
Actually, I don’t think the Cats have created any new tradition with the 37. “The Real 37” slogan came up as a result of the Hero sports articles on best players by number. Sterk was chosen which sent Griz into an uproar. Hence, someone created “the Real 37” as a poke at Griz nation. I don’t believe MSU has any intent to start a 37 tradition. Seems Sterk has also done a good job making the case himself for “the real 37” as well!

As for 41, I love the new tradition. Many schools have a similar tradition and 41 has played an important role for the Bobcats in the past. Also being the 41st State adds additional significance. This is great. Griz fans can bitch and moan all they want, but they think they invented football. Let them bitch. I can assure you that the number will mean a lot to every MSU kid honored to get to wear that number!



User avatar
catatac
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6008
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:37 pm

Re: The real 37

Post by catatac » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:04 am

Darth Yoda wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:48 am
coochorama42 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:43 am
Am I the only Bobcat fan that thinks it's stupid/arrogant of Sterk/the Bobcats to start up with the "Real 37" stuff? I mean, that number means a lot to the UofM. As Cat fans we don't have to like it, but it is a fantastic tradition. Case in point, we are copying it ourselves with #41. For me, let the #37 stay in Missoula unless some kid wants it for other reasons and proudly hand down #41.
You would need to have been living in the dark ages if you think the grizz actually created the number tradition and didn't copy the many examples before them. If the grizz put a #41 on the field that's better than our #41 and decide to troll us about it, then we'll just have to take our medicine. Welcome to the world of a rivalry there cooch.
Yes, 100%. Anything we can do to tick them off and get under their skin the better. If that means messing with their traditions, so be it. keep in mind, this is a program and fan base that started changing the name of the Cat\Griz game to the Gris\Cat game sometime during the streak. I have yet to year any Navy fans call that game the Navy\Army game but maybe they're out there. Also, remember a lot if them call us State because they don't think we deserve to have the word Montana in our name.


Great time to be a BOBCAT!

coochorama42
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:12 pm

Re: The real 37

Post by coochorama42 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:06 am

Man, I've lived this tradition since the 1980s and love certain aspects of it, but this one has bothered me quite a bit. To let you know where I'm coming from, I'll remind you of the story of JR Camel, the talented but troubled basketball star for the Grizzlies. He was on academic suspension for the Grizzlies in the fall semester one year because he had earned a 0.00 GPA the previous semester (I'm doing this from memory, so exact details might be fuzzy). The Grizzlies got him academically eligible for the spring semester. I was in the pep band at the time and was really, really angry at the whole situation. Mostly, I was angry that the Grizzlies somehow got a kid eligible to play that probably needed real help academically. So I brought basic addition flash cards and passed them out to the pep band. Whenever JR had the ball, we would wave our 3 + 2 = 5 flashcards and shout "JR" mercilessly.

Again, I like the rivalry, but the #37 thing rubbed me the wrong way.

@Cataholic Thanks. That explains a lot.



User avatar
coloradocat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Re: The real 37

Post by coloradocat » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:21 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:06 am
Man, I've lived this tradition since the 1980s and love certain aspects of it, but this one has bothered me quite a bit. To let you know where I'm coming from, I'll remind you of the story of JR Camel, the talented but troubled basketball star for the Grizzlies. He was on academic suspension for the Grizzlies in the fall semester one year because he had earned a 0.00 GPA the previous semester (I'm doing this from memory, so exact details might be fuzzy). The Grizzlies got him academically eligible for the spring semester. I was in the pep band at the time and was really, really angry at the whole situation. Mostly, I was angry that the Grizzlies somehow got a kid eligible to play that probably needed real help academically. So I brought basic addition flash cards and passed them out to the pep band. Whenever JR had the ball, we would wave our 3 + 2 = 5 flashcards and shout "JR" mercilessly.

Again, I like the rivalry, but the #37 thing rubbed me the wrong way.

@Cataholic Thanks. That explains a lot.
What a strange thing to be bothered by based on the above story and your comments about the dinosaurs in the other thread. We aren't going to start our own "37" tradition. We're just pointing out our 37 is better than theirs. I do like the idea of reserving 37 for drop down transfers though.



Post Reply