The real 37

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: The real 37

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:24 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:28 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:43 am
Am I the only Bobcat fan that thinks it's stupid/arrogant of Sterk/the Bobcats to start up with the "Real 37" stuff? I mean, that number means a lot to the UofM. As Cat fans we don't have to like it, but it is a fantastic tradition. Case in point, we are copying it ourselves with #41. For me, let the #37 stay in Missoula unless some kid wants it for other reasons and proudly hand down #41.
The griz shamelessly and embarrassingly copied Marshall's "We... Are... MARSHALL!!" and have remained righteously indignant about it.

They've copied USC's Fight On.

On the message boards they've copied the following from us here at BN:
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Hotties
Look Alikes
Record Watch

This notion that they are sacrosanct and above reproach is dumb. Stop it.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:33 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Am I the only Bobcat fan that thinks it's stupid/arrogant of Sterk/the Bobcats to start up with the "Real 37" stuff? I mean, that number means a lot to the UofM. As Cat fans we don't have to like it, but it is a fantastic tradition. Case in point, we are copying it ourselves with #41. For me, let the #37 stay in Missoula unless some kid wants it for other reasons and proudly hand down #41.
Oh good grief.

It's just a funny way to poke fun at our rivals and say our #37 is better. It's not being a jerk. It's humorous. A little arrogant. I think we can be a little arrogant, it's not going to kill you.

I think it's funny that mocking somebody's intellectual shortcomings is something you find funny, but "the real 37" is crossing the line.

In short, quit being a snowflake.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:45 am

Cledus wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:28 am
coochorama42 wrote:
The griz shamelessly and embarrassingly copied Marshall's "We... Are... MARSHALL!!" and have remained righteously indignant about it.

Hotties
Look Alikes
Record Watch

They also copied the script griz logo from us

Image 1982

Image 1988

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:59 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Probably. If not, you’re one of just a few.

The best part is Sterk has totally backed it up. 4.5 sacks and 7 tfl vs UM the last two years.

Lots of teams have number traditions. UM’s has a lame story behind it. MSU’s is rich in meaning.

The 37 is staying in Missoula. Sterk is doing Real 37 on his own. He isn’t handing it down.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:04 pm

Sterk wore #37 in high school and at UW. He doesn't wear that number to intentionally piss off the griz, it's just the number he's always worn. But he enjoys trolling griz fans about it ever since he came to MSU and found out about their 37 tradition.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:10 pm

SACCAT wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:45 am
Cledus wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:28 am
coochorama42 wrote:

Hotties
Look Alikes
Record Watch

They also copied the script griz logo from us

Image 1982

Image 1988
And the Cats copied that from Cal. I saw Bobbie was wearing a 406 cap on the sidelines, copying what the Bobcats have been doing for a few years now.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:12 pm

GRIZFNZ wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:13 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:31 pm
Htowngriz wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:11 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:41 am
Htowngriz wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:39 am
iaafan wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:34 am
If you don’t count Sterk’s nonconference stats, then he’s not as good as their #37 Sims, according to egriz.
Comparing stats between a DE and an interior lineman makes no sense at all. They're both among the best in the conference at their respective positions.
It's really that simple. Both great players.

This will just be another in the long line of petty pissing matches between what I sadly have to assume are grown men.... #-o
Before this gets too friendly and sensible, Sterk couldn't carry Zack Wagemann or Tyrone Holmes' jocks. :)
You're right about that. Sterk is a criminology major. WAY too smart to come anywhere close to anybody's jock.
A Liberal Arts degree??? I thought all your players were rocket scientist pursuing STEM degrees. 😂😂😂
It’s a Bachelor of Science degree. I understand your confusion because the Missoula Community College of Dance probably doesn’t offer many of them.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:16 pm

Is it Saturday at 1 PM yet? Good hell the chippiness and general bitchiness is at an all time high right now! At least when we were all tapping our keyboards roughly and yelling at each other a month ago it was about the team's performance, the Coach's performance, our QB situation and FOOTBALL. Now we're arguing about rivalry jabs and Jurassic Park!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:49 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:16 pm
Is it Saturday at 1 PM yet? Good hell the chippiness and general bitchiness is at an all time high right now! At least when we were all tapping our keyboards roughly and yelling at each other a month ago it was about the team's performance, the Coach's performance, our QB situation and FOOTBALL. Now we're arguing about rivalry jabs and Jurassic Park!

For comedy relief, the Griz fan in this thread didn’t know that Criminology is a BS and not a BA. I’d like to see that guy take STAT 216 or even Physics 101 to get a Criminology degree instead of Tap Dance and Ribbon Waving.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:09 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:33 am
coochorama42 wrote:
Oh good grief.

It's just a funny way to poke fun at our rivals and say our #37 is better. It's not being a jerk. It's humorous. A little arrogant. I think we can be a little arrogant, it's not going to kill you.

I think it's funny that mocking somebody's intellectual shortcomings is something you find funny, but "the real 37" is crossing the line.

Are you a dick to everyone? Seriously man.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:37 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
coochorama42 wrote:
Oh good grief.

@bobcat99, your last two responses to my posts are unnecessary. With respect to the player from Albany, it is willful ignorance that allows someone to make a statement like that. With respect to JR Camel, I wish I could tell my 19 year old self to be clear that you are protesting the system that put him back on the court, not the kid himself. I've learned a lot since then. My example was meant to highlight that I'm not afraid of digging in during rivalry week. I just didn't like the "Real 37" thing. I am obviously highly outnumbered here and I'm fine with it. I asked the question because I actually was interested to see if I was in the minority or not. I didn't intend it to be (nor did I do anything to indicate that it was) critical of those who disagree with me.

It seems that you feel that I have little empathy for people with low intelligence, but also take the time to call me a snowflake. My general impression of student-athletes is that they are generally really good students who are doing twice the work of a normal student. I tutored the football study table for a year while in graduate school. I've taught a number of NCAA athletes at two different institutions. I'm generally empathetic at games. I don't boo players unless they do something incredibly unsportsmanlike. I like watching the game and enjoy the analysis of it more than anything. I'm happy that the players on the field are students first and athletes second.

With respect to mocking intellectual shortcomings, I would never intentionally do something of the sort. I may miss my mark sometimes (as how I came across 20 years ago in my JR Camel example), but I express frustration at willful ignorance or systemic abuses of power, not characteristics people cannot control. I do not believe any person is better than another. I guess, like the Snowflake that I am, I am generally appreciative of people that are genuine. I put myself out there every single day, warts and all. I am open with my successes and I am equally open with my failures. I try to be genuine even when it does not flatter me.

I know I'm blessed to have been given the opportunity to pursue an advanced degree. I work hard. Very hard. My grandfathers worked in the mines and smelters of Montana. I work as hard as I can to honor the sacrifices they made that allowed me to be lucky enough to be a professor at Montana State. I work my a$$ off up here and - judging by my evaluations - I make a real impact day-to-day, week-to-week, and year-to-year in my job. I am living the dream, and I don't take a single moment of it for granted. I'm not alone in this. My colleagues are fantastic and are constantly working to improve themselves and help the students that attend this fine university as do the staff. I'm not perfect, but I keep trying to get better. I'm not sorry that I expect a lot of students. Fundamental to a university education is understanding the difference between personal opinions and facts and being able to reconcile these differences. It IS embarrassing that this young man from Albany is in his senior year and can say something so ignorant of facts.

Ok, lunch break is almost over. Back to work.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:41 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:09 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
coochorama42 wrote:
Oh good grief.

Are you a dick to everyone? Seriously man.
Am I dick to somebody calling Sterk stupid, and arrogant with the "real #37" thing? Yes. Yes, I am a dick to somebody in that situation.

coochorama42

Post by coochorama42 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:47 pm

Dude, I certainly didn't call Sterk stupid. I think the whole #37 thing is stupid. I did feel it was arrogant to make that sign. Again, obviously I'm in the distinct minority on this and ok with it!
bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:41 pm
Am I dick to somebody calling Sterk stupid, and arrogant with the "real #37" thing? Yes. Yes, I am a dick to somebody in that situation.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:56 pm

coochorama42 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:47 pm
Dude, I certainly didn't call Sterk stupid. I think the whole #37 thing is stupid. I did feel it was arrogant to make that sign. Again, obviously I'm in the distinct minority on this and ok with it!
bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:41 pm
You said it was stupid of Sterk to be doing.

I think it's stupid of you to be complaining about it.

We can call it even.

:)

coochorama42

Post by coochorama42 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:59 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:56 pm

We can call it even.

Fair enough. Are we good @bobcat99? I'm not afraid of saying and doing stupid stuff, I do it all the time!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:10 pm

coochorama42 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:59 pm
bobcat99 wrote:

We can call it even.

Fair enough. Are we good @bobcat99? I'm not afraid of saying and doing stupid stuff, I do it all the time!
We good.

I apologize for calling you an embarrassment.

coochorama42

Post by coochorama42 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:27 pm

Oh, sometimes I am an embarrassment! I sincerely mean no disrespect to anyone based on intelligence. I appreciate you sticking up for people. I apologize for any misunderstanding!

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:34 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:10 pm
coochorama42 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

We can call it even.

We good.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:03 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:10 pm
coochorama42 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

We can call it even.

We good.

Good on you for owning up! Proud of you!