Isaiah Ifanse and Travis Jonsen back for next game.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Re: Isaiah Ifanse and Travis Jonsen back for next game.

Post by PapaG » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:41 am

utucats wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:00 am
Impossible....haven’t you heard? Ifanse doesn’t want to play here anymore.
I heard he’s transferring to TCU. :roll:

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

bozely
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bozely » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:43 am

Sorry for not posting the source right away, just saw the statement and sped over to post for y'all before bed. I'm really looking forward to seeing a healthy team on the home stretch! We've been pretty hobbled between the tackles without Ifanse being there to suck guys in.

We're a far better team with both Jonsen and Ifanse.

A new era of football is here, UofM no longer will be the sole power in a much stronger Big Sky. ESG GCG

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 pm

bozely wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:43 am
Sorry for not posting the source right away, just saw the statement and sped over to post for y'all before bed. I'm really looking forward to seeing a healthy team on the home stretch! We've been pretty hobbled between the tackles without Ifanse being there to suck guys in.

We're a far better team with both Jonsen and Ifanse.
Agree. This probably isn't the case but if those two, Andersen, Jones, and Sumner are all close to 100% down the stretch (not to mention the other FIVE talented ball carriers), and our O Line stays healthy dare I say this running game will be..... unstoppable. :shock:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:53 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:45 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:34 am
The most impressive part of Saturday’s performance was that the Cats did it without starting tailback Ifanse and offensive spark plug Jonsen – both of whom were held out with injuries Saturday but should be back for the final two regular-season games and whatever postseason fate awaits the Cats.
https://www.montanasports.com/big-sky-c ... ning-backs
Can't have plug and play backs without a good offensive line.
Kuddos to the Offensive line for creating holes and protecting the QB from sacks.
Get ahead early and rest starters this week.
I have read that this is sacrilege, as Rovig needs to practice his throwing , even if we are up by 4 tds.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:15 pm

allcat wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:53 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
The most impressive part of Saturday’s performance was that the Cats did it without starting tailback Ifanse and offensive spark plug Jonsen – both of whom were held out with injuries Saturday but should be back for the final two regular-season games and whatever postseason fate awaits the Cats.
Kuddos to the Offensive line for creating holes and protecting the QB from sacks.
I have read that this is sacrilege, as Rovig needs to practice his throwing , even if we are up by 4 tds.
Well that depends on your point of view. If he is being protected because he is the starter, fine but if Choate is hedging his bets trying to get Bauman ready for a possible switch, I really don't like it. These guys are young and don't need the coaches playing mind games with them.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:20 pm

technoCat wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:15 pm
allcat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Well that depends on your point of view. If he is being protected because he is the starter, fine but if Choate is hedging his bets trying to get Bauman ready for a possible switch, I really don't like it. These guys are young and don't need the coaches playing mind games with them.
So you're saying Choate is an evil mastermind who might be trying to get inside Rovig's head and screw with him instead of building him up by telling him that you've done a good job as starter and now I want to let the other guy get reps. Do you think Choate is the one coming up with this plot or is it Miller?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:44 pm

allcat wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:20 pm
technoCat wrote:
allcat wrote:
So you're saying Choate is an evil mastermind who might be trying to get inside Rovig's head and screw with him instead of building him up by telling him that you've done a good job as starter and now I want to let the other guy get reps. Do you think Choate is the one coming up with this plot or is it Miller?

Choate is virtually always playing mind games. It is one thing I don't like about the man. He does it with his team, with the press, and with his opponents. It seems to be an integral part of his make up and he just can't help himself, or thinks he's so clever people don't see through the smoke he's obviously blowing.

I too believe it is counter productive to be playing with these young QBs. They are already insecure to begin with. They need to build some confidence and not worry they'll be jerked out of the game at any moment. FWIW, I sure haven't heard Choate ever publicly state Rovig, or Bauman, had "done a good job".

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:11 pm

NorthernPlains wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:44 pm
allcat wrote:
technoCat wrote:
allcat wrote:

Choate is virtually always playing mind games. It is one thing I don't like about the man. He does it with his team, with the press, and with his opponents. It seems to be an integral part of his make up and he just can't help himself, or thinks he's so clever people don't see through the smoke he's obviously blowing.

I too believe it is counter productive to be playing with these young QBs. They are already insecure to begin with. They need to build some confidence and not worry they'll be jerked out of the game at any moment. FWIW, I sure haven't heard Choate ever publicly state Rovig, or Bauman, had "done a good job".
This is BS. Whenever anyone does something well he publicly accknowledges it. Is he critical sometimes? Yes, but most great coaches are.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:48 pm

NorthernPlains wrote:
allcat wrote:
technoCat wrote:
allcat wrote:

I disagreed with basically this entire post but especially that last sentence. Just not even close to true. He’s complimented guys plenty in public and I assume in private.

He always plays mind games? How can fans possibly know this stuff?!

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:59 pm

So....back on track to the original topic of this thread -- I would love to see both guys back in the lineup Saturday. Jonsen brings an explosiveness and unpredictability that's hard for other teams to game plan for. Jonsen, Andersen, and Logan in the backfield is an opposing coach's nightmare. My only concern with Ifanse is not his ability, but the rust he may have from not getting many snaps this season. That said, the kid is a gamer, and elevates the running game to a different level when he's in there.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:08 pm

NorthernPlains wrote:
allcat wrote:
technoCat wrote:
allcat wrote:

So... Choate is a sadistic, evil mastermind? Not sure what he'd stand to gain buy trying to mess with players heads. Everything Choate does is usually well thought out, calculated, and done because it is good for the players and overall health of the team. If you don't understand that then I don't know what to tell you.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:10 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:08 pm
NorthernPlains wrote:
allcat wrote:
technoCat wrote:
allcat wrote:

So... Choate is a sadistic, evil mastermind? Not sure what he'd stand to gain buy trying to mess with players heads. Everything Choate does is usually well thought out, calculated, and done because it is good for the players and overall health of the team. If you don't understand that then I don't know what to tell you.
In this post, substitute HAUCK everywhere you see CHOATE.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

BlueNGoldTilIDie
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BlueNGoldTilIDie » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:20 pm

NorthernPlains wrote:
allcat wrote:
technoCat wrote:
allcat wrote:

As a former player for Choate I can 100% tell you for a fact that you are so far from the truth. Literally are on the opposite end of the spectrum on every single point you’ve made. He has nothing but love for each and every single player and truly wants what is best for them.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:43 pm

BlueNGoldTilIDie wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:20 pm
NorthernPlains wrote:
allcat wrote:
technoCat wrote:
allcat wrote:

As a former player for Choate I can 100% tell you for a fact that you are so far from the truth. Literally are on the opposite end of the spectrum on every single point you’ve made. He has nothing but love for each and every single player and truly wants what is best for them.
Please post more. We need more sane voices around here.

LIBBYCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by LIBBYCAT » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:23 pm

The level of stupid on this board rivals egritz sometimes. I have never heard a a single player
Make a legitimate complaint regarding this program. Accountability, responsibility, team first mentality. His conversation with the players
About his responsibility to them and there responsibility to one another, tells me all I need to know.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:00 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:43 pm
BlueNGoldTilIDie wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:20 pm
NorthernPlains wrote:
allcat wrote:
technoCat wrote:
allcat wrote:

Please post more. We need more sane voices around here.
Totally agree!

But what fun is it if anonymous people can’t just make up lies about players and coaches?! #-o

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:07 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:22 am
utucats wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:00 am
Impossible....haven’t you heard? Ifanse doesn’t want to play here anymore.
Really? Did you hear from the same "source" Troy doesn't want to play quarterback...and his shoulder is so bad he can't even lift his throwing arm...BUT!!!! He'll play linebacker just so he doesn't hurt that shoulder...geeezzzz...some people ought not post as much as they do...ought to just post insignificant statistics and play Bobcat Trivia...
I heard Jonsen and Andersen have the exact same shoulder injury that prevents them from throwing. Well,except TDs to defensive players. They can throw those.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:19 am

I don't get it. I really don't. When Choate first came here, I was a little surprised at how he'd put Murray in the game, then pull him after a turnover. Eventually, I realized Murray didn't seem to be stressed about it. I wasn't on the sideline, but I've watched a lot of football. You only get that response out of a young player if he truly believes that the coach is doing the best by him. I absolutely love this team right now. I love how it's built, I love how it plays. I said this previously, but this team was BUILT for playoff football. They have a strong defense and can run the football 1000 different ways. We can all dream about a dynamic, field stretching quarterback who can also run the football, but they are few in the NFL, let alone the FCS. I believe Choate gets the best out of the players that are on the field. The Cats made the playoffs last year starting a LB/RB at QB.

The thing I love about this program right now is that a relatively large number of players are not only seeing the field, but also making impact plays. This is not only due to a "next man up" mentality, but also due to defensive line rotations, different defensive packages, and - lately - numerous offensive sets featuring an insane number of RB, WR, and even a TE! If I told you that Chase Benson would be the MVP of the Cal Davis game, I don't think anyone could doubt it. I could say the same about Jonsen, Logan Jones, Ifanse, Sumner, Kassis, Troy Anderson, Bryce Sterk, Amandre Williams, the O-Line, Derek Marks, Josh Hill, Brayden Konkol, etc. Tyrone Marshall looked awesome last week. I suppose Rovig would surprise right now, but I'm not sweating the play of a redshirt sophomore when there is so much talent around him and the staff is finding ways to make things happen. The point is that this team has so much more depth than I've ever remembered here and much of it is generated by putting people in a position to succeed.

Again, I don't understand. It's November and we're in the middle of the playoff conversation. We have a chance at a seed. We could win our 4th in a row against our rival. That doesn't happen unless there is talent on the roster and a solid leader of that talent.

sdsyvie
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by sdsyvie » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:27 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:19 am
I don't get it. I really don't. When Choate first came here, I was a little surprised at how he'd put Murray in the game, then pull him after a turnover. Eventually, I realized Murray didn't seem to be stressed about it. I wasn't on the sideline, but I've watched a lot of football. You only get that response out of a young player if he truly believes that the coach is doing the best by him. I absolutely love this team right now. I love how it's built, I love how it plays. I said this previously, but this team was BUILT for playoff football. They have a strong defense and can run the football 1000 different ways. We can all dream about a dynamic, field stretching quarterback who can also run the football, but they are few in the NFL, let alone the FCS. I believe Choate gets the best out of the players that are on the field. The Cats made the playoffs last year starting a LB/RB at QB.

The thing I love about this program right now is that a relatively large number of players are not only seeing the field, but also making impact plays. This is not only due to a "next man up" mentality, but also due to defensive line rotations, different defensive packages, and - lately - numerous offensive sets featuring an insane number of RB, WR, and even a TE! If I told you that Chase Benson would be the MVP of the Cal Davis game, I don't think anyone could doubt it. I could say the same about Jonsen, Logan Jones, Ifanse, Sumner, Kassis, Troy Anderson, Bryce Sterk, Amandre Williams, the O-Line, Derek Marks, Josh Hill, Brayden Konkol, etc. Tyrone Marshall looked awesome last week. I suppose Rovig would surprise right now, but I'm not sweating the play of a redshirt sophomore when there is so much talent around him and the staff is finding ways to make things happen. The point is that this team has so much more depth than I've ever remembered here and much of it is generated by putting people in a position to succeed.

Again, I don't understand. It's November and we're in the middle of the playoff conversation. We have a chance at a seed. We could win our 4th in a row against our rival. That doesn't happen unless there is talent on the roster and a solid leader of that talent.
All words of truth

I think what we see from a hanful of contrarians, is they dont know how to handle success. They are so worried about the hurt of a tough loss at the end of the season, a tough loss in the playoffs, or whatever let down they perceive. That they will question, doubt, and find negative in every small thing, just to put there minds in a place, where the hurt is less. Where they can say "I told you so" because that's easier than dealing with a tough outcome.

However, I along with most cat fans from at least the new generation(not necessarily the young have you, but the believers, the believers in new traditions, of turning the page on the 90s) are right where you are. Excited about where this team is at, excited for the next two games and excited about a potential playoff run, with players loaded with experience and a team loaded with depth.
Last edited by sdsyvie on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:05 am

sdsyvie wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:27 am
coochorama42 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:19 am

All words of truth

I think what we see from a hanful of contrarians, is they dont know how to handle success. They are so worried about the hurt of a tough loss at the end of the season, a tough loss in the playoffs, or whatever let down they perceive. That they will question, doubt, and find negative in every small thing, just to put there minds in a place, where the hurt is less. Where they can say "I told you so" because that's easier than dealing with a tough outcome.

However, I alomg with most cat fans from at least the new generation(not necessarily young have you, but believers, believers in new traditions, of turning the page on the 90s) am right where you are. Excited about where this team is at, excited for the next two games and excited about a potential playoff run, with players loaded with experience and a team loaded with depth.
Right on.