On to UC Davis

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

On to UC Davis

Post by rivercat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:59 am

As much as I would love to keep reading posts on our QB, let's go on to the upcoming game. I think this game against UC Davis has shaped up into the key game this season. UC Davis is good. While they are 5-5, their loses are to FBS Cal by 14, NDSU by 11, um by 25, UND by 2, and Weber by 16. Their two remaining games are MSU and Sac St.

MSU needs to win this game. I'm not saying it is a must win to get into the playoffs because Cats can beat the griz and make it. But if the Cats want to show they are indeed a top level Big Sky team, they need to show it on the road against a tough team. This November has a similar feel to last year when the Cats needed to win out to make the playoffs and rose to the challenge. I hope to see a repeat November this year.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: On to UC Davis

Post by CelticCat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:05 am

Yea it's kind of crazy there is a huge thread on which QB we need to start to beat the Griz, while we have a HUGE game against UC Davis this Saturday. I mean, we win this game and we are in.

I don't know about you but I don't want to be playing Cat/Griz with our playoff chances on the line. We've knocked the Griz out of the playoffs 3 years in a row, I don't want to be in that position.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:30 am

In my mind this game is loser stays home after the regular season. Davis probably has more to lose than MSU. However, another loss for us is not good, but we could probably make a case if we lost this one and beat the griz at home that we are a playoff team. Davis could sneak in if they win out. Both have a lot to gain or lose. Davis is getting healthy, it won't be an easy time.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:51 am

superbobcat wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:30 am
In my mind this game is loser stays home after the regular season. Davis probably has more to lose than MSU. However, another loss for us is not good, but we could probably make a case if we lost this one and beat the griz at home that we are a playoff team. Davis could sneak in if they win out. Both have a lot to gain or lose. Davis is getting healthy, it won't be an easy time.
What? No. I don't think any Cat fans, players, or coaches have any intentions of losing at UCD but if that does happen God forbid, Cats could still beat the Griz and wuold 100% stil be in the playoffs. However, in that scenario, no seed, no first round bye, etc.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:52 am

superbobcat wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:30 am
I don’t think it’s true that the loser misses the playoffs. For UC Davis I agree, and frankly they’re probably out right now.

The Cats need to go 1-1 in the next two weeks to be in the playoffs, period.
But I think they’re playing for more than that. Go 2-0 and they get a bye and host round 2. That’s what this is all about. So in that sense I agree it’s a huge, must win game.
But if they were to lose, playoffs are still possible.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Win on Saturday and we are in the playoffs. Win next two, we get a seed.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:20 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:05 am
Yea it's kind of crazy there is a huge thread on which QB we need to start to beat the Griz, while we have a HUGE game against UC Davis this Saturday. I mean, we win this game and we are in.

I don't know about you but I don't want to be playing Cat/Griz with our playoff chances on the line. We've knocked the Griz out of the playoffs 3 years in a row, I don't want to be in that position.
Agreed. We don’t want to put our rival in a spot to be playoff spoiler for us. Additionally, we’ve seen a turnaround the last couple of weeks but beating Davis at their place will show if we’ve really turned a corner or just looked great against weak competition.

For me, in order to feel like we have a shot at being competitive in the postseason, I need to see us rise up in a game like this.

Win and we’re in, that should be all the motivation we need on Saturday.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:32 pm

This was one of the games in August and September that I was thinking would probably be a loss because of how well Davis played last year, and in their 1st couple games this year. After seeing how they have played throughout the season, and how our defense has improved against the pass I am more confident about our ability to win this game.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:21 pm

Here's a stat that might make your head explode - MSU is averaging more PPG than UC Davis.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:35 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:21 pm
Here's a stat that might make your head explode - MSU is averaging more PPG than UC Davis.
I saw that this morning. We won't say by how much. :wink:

I love how this game shapes up for us. Defensively they're a great test for our secondary just like the Griz will be. So far our guys have been up to the task.

Offensively no one runs it better than us and Davis isn't great against the run.

If our D avoids giving up the "big play", I think the Cats win this one by a couple scores.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:22 pm

Davis is a mixed bag against the run. They did well against NDSU and WSU, but those are traditional between the tackles run games. Other games were sketchy. They’re middle of the pack vs the run. The pass D is also middle of the pack, but that’s good enough to keep MSU from doing much, if any, damage.

Davis will score some points without any help, so it’s imperative that MSU doesn’t have turnovers/penalties and runs of bad offensive and special teams plays.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

agalum
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by agalum » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:38 pm

Howdy from Davis fellas. The weather should be great for a fun afternoon of football. The Ags this year have been decimated by injuries. Aside from tough competition, our young replacements are just now getting in a groove. But we are still missing several key players. I think that is the biggest difference between last year and this year. Last year overall we stayed healthy. And this game is huge for us if we have any glimmer of a chance at the playoffs.
Always enjoy having the cats in town. If you want any tips on restaurants, let me know. But when in CA, Mexican food is a must!

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:06 pm

agalum wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:38 pm
Howdy from Davis fellas. The weather should be great for a fun afternoon of football. The Ags this year have been decimated by injuries. Aside from tough competition, our young replacements are just now getting in a groove. But we are still missing several key players. I think that is the biggest difference between last year and this year. Last year overall we stayed healthy. And this game is huge for us if we have any glimmer of a chance at the playoffs.
Always enjoy having the cats in town. If you want any tips on restaurants, let me know. But when in CA, Mexican food is a must!
Wish I was making this trip! Some day :D

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

NewEra
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by NewEra » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:36 pm

Was there a presser today? Haven’t seen anything posted

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:50 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:25 pm

In FCS play this year, UCD is 2-2 at home with the losses coming to WEB and UM. They lost to WEB by 16 and UM by 25. They beat the 4-5 Patriot League Lehigh Mountainhawks by 28 points and Cal Poly by 24 points.

In Big Sky play (including UND here as well), they're allowing 33 points per game and scoring 34.

When you dig into their season, you see a stark contrast based on quality of opponent. The four best teams they've played are NDSU, WEB, UM, and UND. They are 0-4 in those games and 5-0 against everyone else (excluding their game @ CAL).

In those four tougher games, Maier has thrown for 63% and 6.5 YPA with 10 TD and 8 INT. The opposing QB's have thrown for 66% completion and 7.2 YPA with 9 TD and 2 INT. In the running game, UCD has run for only 295 yards and 1 TD on 2.8 YPC in those four contests and their opponents have run for 811 yards and 8 scores on 4.7 YPC.

So it seems that when this team encounters a quality opponent, especially one with quality players along the OL and DL, they struggle mightily-- especially to stop the run and run the ball themselves. They also turn the ball over a lot. If MSU is of that tier of team like Weber and UM, which I believe that they are, this is a game they should win on the road, and they should do it on the strength of rush offense.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:32 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:25 pm
In FCS play this year, UCD is 2-2 at home with the losses coming to WEB and UM. They lost to WEB by 16 and UM by 25. They beat the 4-5 Patriot League Lehigh Mountainhawks by 28 points and Cal Poly by 24 points.

In Big Sky play (including UND here as well), they're allowing 33 points per game and scoring 34.

When you dig into their season, you see a stark contrast based on quality of opponent. The four best teams they've played are NDSU, WEB, UM, and UND. They are 0-4 in those games and 5-0 against everyone else (excluding their game @ CAL).

In those four tougher games, Maier has thrown for 63% and 6.5 YPA with 10 TD and 8 INT. The opposing QB's have thrown for 66% completion and 7.2 YPA with 9 TD and 2 INT. In the running game, UCD has run for only 295 yards and 1 TD on 2.8 YPC in those four contests and their opponents have run for 811 yards and 8 scores on 4.7 YPC.

So it seems that when this team encounters a quality opponent, especially one with quality players along the OL and DL, they struggle mightily-- especially to stop the run and run the ball themselves. They also turn the ball over a lot. If MSU is of that tier of team like Weber and UM, which I believe that they are, this is a game they should win on the road, and they should do it on the strength of rush offense.
Yeah!! Now you’re talking my language. I like all of this!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:03 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:32 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:25 pm

Yeah!! Now you’re talking my language. I like all of this!
Yes, thanks for the analysis, quality stuff! I had a good feeling about this game before reading this, feeling even better now. Will likely still be a close game, but if MSU can just play mostly mistaken free football, I like their chances in Davis.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:17 pm

agalum wrote:
Hello Mr Aggie! Looking forward to a tough battle in Davis. I know that this has been a real disappointing season for your team, so I was wondering what a fan like yourself feels are the main reasons for the results this year.

agalum
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by agalum » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:17 pm
agalum wrote:
Hello Mr Aggie! Looking forward to a tough battle in Davis. I know that this has been a real disappointing season for your team, so I was wondering what a fan like yourself feels are the main reasons for the results this year.
Injuries and a tough schedule. I think the Cal game was the start of guys getting banged up. But every team is banged up in November. Our replacements are coming along and last week we came close to 4 solid quarters of football. Last year we stayed relatively healthy all season. This game is huge for both teams. See ya Saturday!