What QB gives us the best chance against the griz?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: What QB gives us the best chance against the griz?

Post by coloradocat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:12 am

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:06 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:56 pm
I'm going to go ahead and say that the starting quarterback gives us the best chance to win.
You mean the one who started the game at QB the last two weeks? :wink:
I mean whichever one starts the game. If the coaches get skittish and give up on Rovig I think that will cost us.

Their lack of confidence in him has been somewhat frustrating this season. I know he's not what everyone hoped he would be but we clearly could have handled UNC just fine without using Troy at QB so much yesterday. As much as I love watching Troy play this seemed like a perfect game to let Rovig work on things. I would have been fine beating them 24-14 if it meant Rovig got to play 95% of the snaps and have 200+ yards passing. Instead, this was just another game like all the others. He didn't get enough of a chance to build confidence that he can take into the next two games.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:18 am

coloradocat wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:02 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:51 am
Totally agree. It’s funny to me sometimes that before a game like this, people will talk about all the bad stuff that could happen. We don’t play good on the road. Greeley is tough to play in. They have a great qb. It’s natural grass. UNC plays great at home. It’s gonna be close. Etc.

Then we do exactly what we should do and dominate them. Then all the talk is they’re so crappy. Worst team ever. Sure the Cats rushes for almost 500 yards but UNC sucks! This might work now but wait till we play a “good” team.

I think this team wins out and it’s not just because we beat a lousy UNC team.
I think the pre-game talk has to do with the Cats tendency to play down their opponents level on the road. So when they actually play like they should it's nothing to get excited about because UNC sucks.

It was great to see them dominate on the ground and on defense.

I agree that Greeley is a strangely tough place to play. Maybe it's because you can see the curvature of the earth when you look at the field. :lol:
I understand that take. What I will say is that the Big Sky is actually a pretty good league and winning games is tough. Just look at yesterday. While both teams pulled it out in the end both Weber and Sac needed last minute heroics to get the win. Nearly every team in this conference can beat anyone.

I truly don’t think any team is head and shoulders better than the next 5-6 teams to be totally honest.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:43 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:18 am
coloradocat wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:02 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:51 am
Totally agree. It’s funny to me sometimes that before a game like this, people will talk about all the bad stuff that could happen. We don’t play good on the road. Greeley is tough to play in. They have a great qb. It’s natural grass. UNC plays great at home. It’s gonna be close. Etc.

Then we do exactly what we should do and dominate them. Then all the talk is they’re so crappy. Worst team ever. Sure the Cats rushes for almost 500 yards but UNC sucks! This might work now but wait till we play a “good” team.

I think this team wins out and it’s not just because we beat a lousy UNC team.
I think the pre-game talk has to do with the Cats tendency to play down their opponents level on the road. So when they actually play like they should it's nothing to get excited about because UNC sucks.

It was great to see them dominate on the ground and on defense.

I agree that Greeley is a strangely tough place to play. Maybe it's because you can see the curvature of the earth when you look at the field. :lol:
I understand that take. What I will say is that the Big Sky is actually a pretty good league and winning games is tough. Just look at yesterday. While both teams pulled it out in the end both Weber and Sac needed last minute heroics to get the win. Nearly every team in this conference can beat anyone.

I truly don’t think any team is head and shoulders better than the next 5-6 teams to be totally honest.
Any team can beat any other if the good team plays poorly and the bad team plays lights out. That’s why there are huge upsets in every sport, every year.

There are only 2 teams in the BSC with a legit chance of reaching the semis, let alone the finals. Only 2 teams capable of going undefeated in FCS play.

Being good/Great is about consistency game in and game out. Not about freak occurrences. The BSC has 3-4 objectively horrible teams. 2 great teams. 2-3 good teams. And 6 or so mediocre teams that might compete well in a weak FCS conference.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:51 am

coloradocat wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:12 am
RobertoGato wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
I'm going to go ahead and say that the starting quarterback gives us the best chance to win.
I mean whichever one starts the game. If the coaches get skittish and give up on Rovig I think that will cost us.

Their lack of confidence in him has been somewhat frustrating this season. I know he's not what everyone hoped he would be but we clearly could have handled UNC just fine without using Troy at QB so much yesterday. As much as I love watching Troy play this seemed like a perfect game to let Rovig work on things. I would have been fine beating them 24-14 if it meant Rovig got to play 95% of the snaps and have 200+ yards passing. Instead, this was just another game like all the others. He didn't get enough of a chance to build confidence that he can take into the next two games.
When they've stuck by him, he's often disappointed. He got most of the work against CP and they needed Jonsen to come in late and save the day. Likewise, he was the man for most of the day @UND and they needed Andersen to play hero that time. And it worked, although a ST disaster lost it ultimately. They were down big at home against NAU, and the QB run game accounted for 21 points in bringing the Cats back.

I would say that the staff's willingness to replace him is a big reason why they have 7 wins and are still in PO contention. Had they stuck by him, he'd have more experience, and this season would be a giant waste of a ton of senior talent.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:53 am

onceacat wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:43 am

There are only 2 teams in the BSC with a legit chance of reaching the semis, let alone the finals. Only 2 teams capable of going undefeated in FCS play.

Weber is the only team in the BSC with no FCS losses.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:36 pm

onceacat wrote:

There are only 2 teams in the BSC with a legit chance of reaching the semis, let alone the finals.
So who are the only 2 teams capable or reaching the semi’s? :-k

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:46 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:51 am
coloradocat wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

When they've stuck by him, he's often disappointed. He got most of the work against CP and they needed Jonsen to come in late and save the day. Likewise, he was the man for most of the day @UND and they needed Andersen to play hero that time. And it worked, although a ST disaster lost it ultimately. They were down big at home against NAU, and the QB run game accounted for 21 points in bringing the Cats back.

I would say that the staff's willingness to replace him is a big reason why they have 7 wins and are still in PO contention. Had they stuck by him, he'd have more experience, and this season would be a giant waste of a ton of senior talent.
I generally agree with everything you said. I was thinking more about the UNC game specifically. It didn't take long yesterday to figure out we didn't need too much of Troy on offense but he kept playing offense. I would also have liked for the coaches to let Rovig finish the game. This was their chance to get him reps throwing the ball. I doubt they pulled him to avoid injury risk. It might have been so that we didn't run up the score but who cares about that when you're trying to develop your QB and prepare for the tough upcoming games. I think everyone agrees that Rovig is average at best but the coaches have also played a role in limiting his ceiling this year.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

nanacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by nanacat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:58 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:46 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

I generally agree with everything you said. I was thinking more about the UNC game specifically. It didn't take long yesterday to figure out we didn't need too much of Troy on offense but he kept playing offense. I would also have liked for the coaches to let Rovig finish the game. This was their chance to get him reps throwing the ball. I doubt they pulled him to avoid injury risk. It might have been so that we didn't run up the score but who cares about that when you're trying to develop your QB and prepare for the tough upcoming games. I think everyone agrees that Rovig is average at best but the coaches have also played a role in limiting his ceiling this year.
I think you're quite right about the coaches. It's obvious they don't believe in TR either. I saw Choate give him a tongue lashing after the pooch punt, but then he came later and gave him a high five after another play, can't remember which. So there's that I guess. I agree it would have been in his best interest to finish the game. But with the lack of confidence of the coaches, and possibly the team, I think they're giving Baumann reps to keep their options open. I think there's clearly still a qb competition going on even though there's a named starter.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:05 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:36 pm
onceacat wrote:

There are only 2 teams in the BSC with a legit chance of reaching the semis, let alone the finals.
Sac and Weber. I'd put the Griz at under 10% and the Cats and under 5% chance.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:08 pm

nanacat wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:58 pm
coloradocat wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

I think you're quite right about the coaches. It's obvious they don't believe in TR either. I saw Choate give him a tongue lashing after the pooch punt, but then he came later and gave him a high five after another play, can't remember which. So there's that I guess. I agree it would have been in his best interest to finish the game. But with the lack of confidence of the coaches, and possibly the team, I think they're giving Baumann reps to keep their options open. I think there's clearly still a qb competition going on even though there's a named starter.
I was thinking this too. Why give Bauman the 4th quarters if you aren't hedging your bets. If Rovig isn't your guy, bench him and quit the games. It would be nice if he just rose to the challenge but not everyone is wired to respond that way. Some people don't reach their potential unless they are given unquestioning support.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:14 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:05 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:36 pm
onceacat wrote:

Sac and Weber. I'd put the Griz at under 10% and the Cats and under 5% chance.
Man. I just don’t agree. They found ways to win yesterday which is a credit to them. But they both easily could have lost yesterday. I just don’t know how you can look at this conference every Saturday and come away thinking those two teams are so much better than everyone else?

Agree to disagree I suppose.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:19 pm

coloradocat wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Yeah, that's fair. My best guess is that they've decided that this mix on offense is who they are and so they're going to continue to use it.

I would also point out that Greeley is a place where good teams tend to stub their toe. So it may be that they wanted Troy to help them secure a lead and then back off of him. I don't believe he touched the ball on offense in the second half.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:23 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:19 pm
coloradocat wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Yeah, that's fair. My best guess is that they've decided that this mix on offense is who they are and so they're going to continue to use it.

I would also point out that Greeley is a place where good teams tend to stub their toe. So it may be that they wanted Troy to help them secure a lead and then back off of him. I don't believe he touched the ball on offense in the second half.
Tucker could suddenly turn into Lulay over the next two games and Andersen would still get touches on offense. He probably needs live game reps too not to mention putting stuff on tape. 😊

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Bsmithmsu
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bsmithmsu » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:14 pm

I’m really not sure why we even put TA in at QB. Up u til yesterday he hadn’t thrown a pass so the defense knows it’s a run play. Why not line him at RB where he can get a better look and allow his blocks to develope. My guess is he would have more longer yardage runs this way.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:23 pm

technoCat wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:08 pm
nanacat wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:58 pm
coloradocat wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

I was thinking this too. Why give Bauman the 4th quarters if you aren't hedging your bets. If Rovig isn't your guy, bench him and quit the games. It would be nice if he just rose to the challenge but not everyone is wired to respond that way. Some people don't reach their potential unless they are given unquestioning support.
I think about this every week and remember back to the last two Augusts where Choate said Rovig lost the starting job because of his lack of confidence and leadership. How are you supposed to have confidence in yourself and be the leader of the offense when the coaches pull you at every sign of weakness (either yours or the teams)? Usually when Troy or Jonsen take snaps at QB it's what is best for the team in the moment but it happens too often and probably chips away at Rovig's confidence every time. When Rovig threw the pick six they put Troy in instead of sending Rovig right back out there with an easy play to redeem himself and get over the mistake.

If all our RBs/WRs are healthy for the next two games it probably doesn't matter who the QB is but if not I can definitely see the coaches overuse Troy/Jonsen at QB and become too predictable and cost us a game.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:27 pm

Bsmithmsu wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:14 pm
I’m really not sure why we even put TA in at QB. Up u til yesterday he hadn’t thrown a pass so the defense knows it’s a run play. Why not line him at RB where he can get a better look and allow his blocks to develope. My guess is he would have more longer yardage runs this way.
We ran a play a couple times yesterday where Troy was the QB and had 2 or 3 guys lined up behind him. That looked like a great play to use Rovig at QB and Troy as the last RB in the backfield. You still know it's going to be a run play but now you have Troy running down hill instead of backing up before taking off.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:31 pm

Bsmithmsu wrote:
One has to assume that being at QB gives Troy the best chance to be successful as a rusher.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:44 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:31 pm
Bsmithmsu wrote:
One has to assume that being at QB gives Troy the best chance to be successful as a rusher.
Yep. Not to mention that like yesterday, just him handing it off or pitching it is another element to have to defend. Before then I think he kept it every time he had it.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:48 pm

cjlem22 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:42 pm

Yeah, I agree totally with all of you that Infanse is our best back. But, from what I've been told, he has been medically cleared for nearly the entire season and he has chosen not to play. So, i believe that counts as being soft. But maybe my information is incorrect and I really am just an idiot! Also, he wont be staying here. I bet he leaves for somewhere warmer next year.
Yes. You have very poor information. This is a message board and all opinions are obviously welcome. But I’d say taking lousy information and calling out a kid personally about his toughness and playing through injuries is pure crap to be honest.

Bsmithmsu
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bsmithmsu » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:48 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:44 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:31 pm
Bsmithmsu wrote:
Yep. Not to mention that like yesterday, just him handing it off or pitching it is another element to have to defend. Before then I think he kept it every time he had it.
I cannot see how TA at QB gives him the best chance to be successful. Rovig or Jonsen for that matter could run the option with TA in the back creating an even more difficult offense to defend. TA run up the middle is in theory easy to defend.