What QB gives us the best chance against the griz?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Re: What QB gives us the best chance against the griz?

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:31 pm

When the QB is a running threat, there are essentially 10 blockers, or take space awayers.

Putting TA at RB, you lose one blocker. You lose one guy who takes a defender with him. Schematically, it's much more effective to run from the QB position rather than the RB position. It allows for far more variability within the run game.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:44 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:31 pm
When the QB is a running threat, there are essentially 10 blockers, or take space awayers.

Putting TA at RB, you lose one blocker. You lose one guy who takes a defender with him. Schematically, it's much more effective to run from the QB position rather than the RB position. It allows for far more variability within the run game.
I always thought it was space take awayers. :wink:

Good explanation though. It’s pretty common knowledge and definitely why our staff uses Troy there rather than running back when he’s in on offense

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:46 pm

Does it matter? No one is a serious passing threat. Troy can, but he’s even worse throwing than Rovig. Either Rovig or Bauman has to take a bunch of snaps, because MSU has to show it might throw the ball.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:17 pm

I would love to see a defense bring 11 guys one time when TA lines up at QB :lol: Anybody on the team could hit the open men on a play like that, and TA would be smart enough to see that and toss the ball to a WR.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:18 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:44 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:31 pm

I always thought it was space take awayers. :wink:

Good explanation though. It’s pretty common knowledge and definitely why our staff uses Troy there rather than running back when he’s in on offense
Couldn't think of a technical term, haha!

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:20 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:46 pm
Does it matter? No one is a serious passing threat. Troy can, but he’s even worse throwing than Rovig. Either Rovig or Bauman has to take a bunch of snaps, because MSU has to show it might throw the ball.
Given how Troy shot put that td to Scrempos, I don't think he can really throw at all anymore. I haven't seen him lift his arm above his shoulder in a throwing motion since his surgery. I think that's why running him at rb a bit might be a good idea even if Rovig isn't necessarily scaring opponents. But with the added diversity to his option attack, it might not matter.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:22 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:46 pm
Or just keep running for 400+ yards a game!

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:26 pm

nanacat wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:36 pm
I was thinking Anderson too. But will the coaches? I guess we'll see how next week goes.
He's a junior guys. At the very least we should all be spelling his name correctly!!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:37 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:09 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:26 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:04 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:42 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:36 pm
Anderson will not start or play QB against the griz.
Bet on it.
You literally think he won't take a snap at QB against UM? You're serious?
100%. Wanna put money on it.
As you wrote it Montanabob I believe you are 100% right but since you seem to be in a betting mood How much would you be willing to bet that a healthy Andersen doesn't take a snap in the Cat-Griz game?
No, I won't take that bet. I bet Andersen scores twice in cat griz game. Anderson won't take a snap at QB.
Like I said, bet me

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:56 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:26 pm
nanacat wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:36 pm
I was thinking Anderson too. But will the coaches? I guess we'll see how next week goes.
He's a junior guys. At the very least we should all be spelling his name correctly!!
Ha ha, you read my mind! Normally I don't sweat the small stuff and it wouldn't bother me but Troy Andersen is a once-in-a-generation type player and might go down as the best Bobcat football player of all time! Get it right people! :D

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:58 am

RobertoGato wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:51 am
coloradocat wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:12 am
RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:06 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:56 pm
I'm going to go ahead and say that the starting quarterback gives us the best chance to win.
You mean the one who started the game at QB the last two weeks? :wink:
I mean whichever one starts the game. If the coaches get skittish and give up on Rovig I think that will cost us.

Their lack of confidence in him has been somewhat frustrating this season. I know he's not what everyone hoped he would be but we clearly could have handled UNC just fine without using Troy at QB so much yesterday. As much as I love watching Troy play this seemed like a perfect game to let Rovig work on things. I would have been fine beating them 24-14 if it meant Rovig got to play 95% of the snaps and have 200+ yards passing. Instead, this was just another game like all the others. He didn't get enough of a chance to build confidence that he can take into the next two games.
When they've stuck by him, he's often disappointed. He got most of the work against CP and they needed Jonsen to come in late and save the day. Likewise, he was the man for most of the day @UND and they needed Andersen to play hero that time. And it worked, although a ST disaster lost it ultimately. They were down big at home against NAU, and the QB run game accounted for 21 points in bringing the Cats back.

I would say that the staff's willingness to replace him is a big reason why they have 7 wins and are still in PO contention. Had they stuck by him, he'd have more experience, and this season would be a giant waste of a ton of senior talent.
So you must mean the talented senior WR who dropped a no doubt TD pass on a well-thrown ball by - shocker - Rovig in the first half against UND. Or perhaps you mean the talented senior WR who didn't field a UND punt that led to the MSU offense being pinned on the 1 foot line. Oh no, you must mean the missed tackles by a PAIR of talented senior safeties on 3rd and 8 conversion in the third quarter against Sac State that would have likely forced a 42 yard FG attempt on 4th and 4 from the MSU 35, but instead 2 plays later resulted in a TD to make it 34-14.

To be clear, I think the starting QB for the 2020 Bobcats is currently playing in HS or for another college team right now, but fact that you and others keep hanging this team's woes in the past two losses pretty much solely on Rovig when there is CLEARLY blame to be spread across the entire team - and yes, even those seniors you mention - is absolutely ludicrous. Win as a team, lose as a team.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:11 am

Bsmithmsu wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:14 pm
I’m really not sure why we even put TA in at QB. Up u til yesterday he hadn’t thrown a pass so the defense knows it’s a run play. Why not line him at RB where he can get a better look and allow his blocks to develope. My guess is he would have more longer yardage runs this way.
It's called the +1 run game. The flanking RB (or sometimes FB) is an extra blocker. Or he can run the zone read or even RPO, though they really haven't done RPO with TA or TR, maybe Kassis a couple times. I don't count the jump pass as RPO, that play was designed as a jump pass all the way. Regardless, it's now on tape, which gives future opponents one more thing to think about in goal line situations...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:37 am

superbobcat wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:04 pm
Halfcat wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:28 pm
cjlem22 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:13 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:11 pm
cjlem22 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:08 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:06 pm
cjlem22 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:52 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:48 pm
cjlem22 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:42 pm

Yeah, I agree totally with all of you that Infanse is our best back. But, from what I've been told, he has been medically cleared for nearly the entire season and he has chosen not to play. So, i believe that counts as being soft. But maybe my information is incorrect and I really am just an idiot! Also, he wont be staying here. I bet he leaves for somewhere warmer next year.
Yes. You have very poor information. This is a message board and all opinions are obviously welcome. But I’d say taking lousy information and calling out a kid personally about his toughness and playing through injuries is pure crap to be honest.
Yeah, that was my fault. I didn't intend to call him out about his toughness like that. It was intended to show that Logan (playing with his rib injury) was a better team player and those are the kind of guys that people get behind.
Ifanse played his entire freshman year hurt. He couldn't even practice, but would gut it out on game day. And you think he isn't tough? You think he isn't a team player?

I mean this sincerely. Eat ******.
Like I said, bad info. Maybe he really is hurt and he is as tough as you say. Ill accept the fact that I was incorrect.
I'll give you some advise.

When it comes to information like that, you had better make sure it's 100% accurate directly from the source. Not second hand, not third hand.
That's fair. I thought the source was reliable but i guess not. Thanks for the tip
CJ, your information is as good as most on this board. Don’t take things personally. You have handled the typical anonymous bully/name calling as diplomatically as I’ve seen on here. Don’t expect the same courtesy reciprocated. While I agree that your original post was inflammatory without context, it’s not entirely wrong. Ifanse is an animal with the ball in his hands, no doubt. He did tweak his hamstring early and later tweak his knee (non surgical grade 1 pcl). He was cleared by MSU staff and local MD professionals. He still argued he could not practice, same as last season, But not too hurt to play. MSU flew him back to Washington to doctors of his/family choosing, and he was cleared 100% to play. He still argues he’s too hurt to practice and is adding to the division amongst ranks. There are players with ankle sprains, turf toe, ruptured bursa sacs, pins, screws, plates, pulled hamstrings, cracked ribs, healing collar bones, busted fingers, fused backs, torn rotators, labrum, and just about anything else you can think of that give all they got every practice to get better as a team. While I wasn’t part of the conversation, this is firsthand from someone who was. “Isaiah, why won’t you practice?” “Because I’m hurt.” “We’re all hurt out here!” Now to save lengthy quotes, the jist is he wanted a redshirt year, hates Bozeman, and unfortunately CJ is correct in the speculation that he may be somewhere different next year. I don’t know this as fact, but seems Choate may have been forcing his hand by burning that redshirt with 1 carry in his 5th game. Things can change, TJonsen also hated Bozeman when he arrived, but has since acclimated and integrated into the community by volunteering with kids, Doing odd jobs (even worked on a local farm/ranch), and participating in community athletic leagues. At this time I’d give it substantially less than 50% Isaiah is here next year. Not bashing him. He’s young, in a foreign environment, and currently does not have unanimous team support. He can mature. Maybe he will, maybe he won’t. Isaiah is not “soft” physically that’s for damn sure. mentally/emotionally he is in a place many have been, it will be interesting to see how he reacts.

I’d say your post is accurate. Nobody is questioning toughness, he just doesn’t like where he is playing. He wants to be closer to home. I will be surprised if we see him again this year. All this portal stuff is going to cause more of this to happen. No need bashing players, they have a lot of freedom now. IMO either be a BOBCAT or go home, wishey washey does no good for team.

What is Hosey’s status?
He also did not even make the trip to UNC. Nobody is bashing the player here but it’s quite hypocritical to accept that stance from a player who is basically quitting on his team and talking about his dislike of his “environment” yet it’s taboo to say anything negative about a player who may be taking this approach.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:00 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:58 am
RobertoGato wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:51 am
coloradocat wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:12 am
RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:06 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:56 pm
I'm going to go ahead and say that the starting quarterback gives us the best chance to win.
You mean the one who started the game at QB the last two weeks? :wink:
I mean whichever one starts the game. If the coaches get skittish and give up on Rovig I think that will cost us.

Their lack of confidence in him has been somewhat frustrating this season. I know he's not what everyone hoped he would be but we clearly could have handled UNC just fine without using Troy at QB so much yesterday. As much as I love watching Troy play this seemed like a perfect game to let Rovig work on things. I would have been fine beating them 24-14 if it meant Rovig got to play 95% of the snaps and have 200+ yards passing. Instead, this was just another game like all the others. He didn't get enough of a chance to build confidence that he can take into the next two games.
When they've stuck by him, he's often disappointed. He got most of the work against CP and they needed Jonsen to come in late and save the day. Likewise, he was the man for most of the day @UND and they needed Andersen to play hero that time. And it worked, although a ST disaster lost it ultimately. They were down big at home against NAU, and the QB run game accounted for 21 points in bringing the Cats back.

I would say that the staff's willingness to replace him is a big reason why they have 7 wins and are still in PO contention. Had they stuck by him, he'd have more experience, and this season would be a giant waste of a ton of senior talent.
So you must mean the talented senior WR who dropped a no doubt TD pass on a well-thrown ball by - shocker - Rovig in the first half against UND. Or perhaps you mean the talented senior WR who didn't field a UND punt that led to the MSU offense being pinned on the 1 foot line. Oh no, you must mean the missed tackles by a PAIR of talented senior safeties on 3rd and 8 conversion in the third quarter against Sac State that would have likely forced a 42 yard FG attempt on 4th and 4 from the MSU 35, but instead 2 plays later resulted in a TD to make it 34-14.

To be clear, I think the starting QB for the 2020 Bobcats is currently playing in HS or for another college team right now, but fact that you and others keep hanging this team's woes in the past two losses pretty much solely on Rovig when there is CLEARLY blame to be spread across the entire team - and yes, even those seniors you mention - is absolutely ludicrous. Win as a team, lose as a team.
Yes, those Seniors and others. This is a senior laden team at the moment, and it would be a shame to waste that talent because they weren't willing to pull Rovig when they clearly needed to-- like @CP, @UND, Vs. NAU, etc.

At no point have I put the offensive issues 100% on Rovig. I've been pretty careful to mention drops as a factor, as well as the injuries at running back making life harder on him than necessary.

But I also hold the opinion that he has been the biggest offensive problem out of the multiple that could be considered. And I don't mind admitting that, and will argue for that opinion.

Can I assume, based on your post, that you never highlight any individual player as being good or bad or more or less responsible for a win or loss? Because I highly doubt that.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:59 am

Just to chime in again on this topic, I don't believe that this staff ONLY puts other guys in because they think Rovig is struggling. As someone else mentioned, I truly believe that we could have Lulay back there and we'd still see packages with Troy and Travis.

My point is these two things aren't exclusive. We need Rovig to be better no question. But he's had games where he played well enough for us to win, which we did; and he's also had games in a couple of our losses where I thought he played well enough to win.

I think because this is such a huge topic with the team this season, people are way over-analyzing the packages we throw out there. If you look back to some games, the gripe has been that Rovig seems to be in a groove and we take him out. And I think that's a fair concern sometimes. But it also shows that regardless of how he's playing, we're still going to mix it up. So I don't necessarily think that Jonsen and Andersen get trotted out there to "save the day" if you will.