2019 Defense

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2019 Defense

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:10 pm

bobcatbob24 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:04 pm
That linebacker with the fake punt showed some real speed. Maybe we should make him a wildcat quarterback!😀
Callanhan was a pretty good QB in high school... :-k

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:11 pm

I updated the front page with the current ranks in the conference. I guess the contingent of Kane, Byron, Bobby, and Kyle can coach 'em up on defense!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:13 pm

Look at what UND did on the road against Weebs and what Sac was doing until Thomson got hurt and our D has been getting better for weeks.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:33 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:11 pm
I updated the front page with the current ranks in the conference. I guess the contingent of Kane, Byron, Bobby, and Kyle can coach 'em up on defense!
Thanks for updating that. I think the parenthetical #1 in the conference in yards per play is the best stat there. Yards per game and even points per game can vary depending on what kind of offense you play. Holding the opposition to 5 yards per play is awesome.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:34 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:33 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Thanks for updating that. I think the parenthetical #1 in the conference in yards per play is the best stat there. Yards per game and even points per game can vary depending on what kind of offense you play. Holding the opposition to 5 yards per play is awesome.
Usually equates to being a very good tackling team...which we are.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:36 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:34 pm
onceacat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
I just looked up the FCS stats...thats #21 overall (UND & SDSU are at about 4.5 yards per play) =D^

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:56 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:36 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
I just looked up the FCS stats...thats #21 overall (UND & SDSU are at about 4.5 yards per play) =D^
For reference:

2019 Defense has given up 5.0 yards per play, 3.4 yards per rush, and 6.8 yards per pass.

2014 Defense gave up 6.7 yards per play, 5.4 yards per rush, and 8.0 yards per pass.
2015 Defense gave up 6.5 yards per play, 5.6 yards per rush, and 8.0 yards per pass.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:06 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:57 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:42 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:37 pm
Another good day for the defense.

This is the aspect of the team I was most interested in today. They're on a roll. I thought if they came into Greeley and didn't stay on it, that it might put a chink in their armor.

They starters have only allowed one touchdown in the last 13 quarters and it was a trick play (double-pass).

Starters only gave up one play over 8 yards.

You beat me to it.

1 touchdown allowed in 3 games..... wow. Defense is playing lights out!!!!
Before the season started I thought that the defense would be the key to the whole season. They've played like I thought they could the past three games. Obviously, UND, SUU and UNC aren't top of the line teams, but you need to start somewhere. UCD and UM are better offensively, but I don't think they're in the same class as SAC when they came to Bozeman. The wins won't come as easily these next two games, but I like where MSU is right now versus any other time during the season.

Today the punt by Roving and the Pick-6 by Roving were the only damaging plays. Steel almost made a big mistake when he nearly fumbled that punt. I didn't think Choate's antics on the sidelines were productive, but the team was able to weather all that and still play impressively four out of the five phases of the game.
I agree about Choate on the sidelines. After Rovig’s shanked punt, Choate really lit into him. Rovig wouldn’t really make eye contact and just sort of kept walking and outwardly ignored him. But I'll bet he was really shaken inside. He went right out after that and threw the pick six. Players are vastly different. I suspect shouting at Rovig is not the best method for him. He knew he hit a bad punt. I think it got in his head and he clearly wasn’t focused on the interception play. [It has been suggested that we use a punter for punting.] I am sure that they are looking for Tucker to see the right thing and throw a pass or run out of that formation — but if it’s distracting him to the point of losing focus after a bad one, maybe it’s time to tear that page out of the playbook.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:12 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:06 am
TomCat88 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

This is the aspect of the team I was most interested in today. They're on a roll. I thought if they came into Greeley and didn't stay on it, that it might put a chink in their armor.

They starters have only allowed one touchdown in the last 13 quarters and it was a trick play (double-pass).

You beat me to it.

Before the season started I thought that the defense would be the key to the whole season. They've played like I thought they could the past three games. Obviously, UND, SUU and UNC aren't top of the line teams, but you need to start somewhere. UCD and UM are better offensively, but I don't think they're in the same class as SAC when they came to Bozeman. The wins won't come as easily these next two games, but I like where MSU is right now versus any other time during the season.

Today the punt by Roving and the Pick-6 by Roving were the only damaging plays. Steel almost made a big mistake when he nearly fumbled that punt. I didn't think Choate's antics on the sidelines were productive, but the team was able to weather all that and still play impressively four out of the five phases of the game.
I agree about Choate on the sidelines. After Rovig’s shanked punt, Choate really lit into him. Rovig wouldn’t really make eye contact and just sort of kept walking and outwardly ignored him. But I'll bet he was really shaken inside. He went right out after that and threw the pick six. Players are vastly different. I suspect shouting at Rovig is not the best method for him. He knew he hit a bad punt. I think it got in his head and he clearly wasn’t focused on the interception play. [It has been suggested that we use a punter for punting.] I am sure that they are looking for Tucker to see the right thing and throw a pass or run out of that formation — but if it’s distracting him to the point of losing focus after a bad one, maybe it’s time to tear that page out of the playbook.
Agreed. That bs sequence was on Coach. If you want to punt then send in the guy recruited to punt. Rovig has enough on his plate without being expected to kick the damn ball as well.

I hated that call and I hate going for ****** 2 when you are up 2. I’m assuming both were Coach’s decisions.

I’m a big fan of Choate but sometimes I think he’s trying to be some kind of football genius when the right call is the simplest.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:39 am

Round peg. Square hole.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:26 am

I liked the more aggressive going for two call. It’s playing to win
Vs tie.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:28 am

utucats wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:12 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

You beat me to it.

Agreed. That bs sequence was on Coach. If you want to punt then send in the guy recruited to punt. Rovig has enough on his plate without being expected to kick the damn ball as well.

I hated that call and I hate going for ****** 2 when you are up 2. I’m assuming both were Coach’s decisions.

I’m a big fan of Choate but sometimes I think he’s trying to be some kind of football genius when the right call is the simplest.
People are harsh. The quick kick by the QB is used on a regular basis by most teams, especially on a short field. I don’t agree with how Choate reacted, but I really don’t see a problem with the call.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:37 am

Agreed.

Lots of options available by asking qb to punt out of regular formation. I’m ok with watching Tucker develop. Just bad execution.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:21 am

bobcatbob24 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:04 pm
That linebacker with the fake punt showed some real speed. Maybe we should make him a wildcat quarterback!😀
We could use another one of those :lol:

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:27 am

VimSince03 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
early in the year we were not as good at tackling. The difference is that we are in better position now. Usually at this level poor tackling is a factor of being a step off of being in the right position. I think our linebackers especially have matured a lot and now are in better positions to make tackles.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:46 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:28 am
utucats wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:12 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

You beat me to it.

People are harsh. The quick kick by the QB is used on a regular basis by most teams, especially on a short field. I don’t agree with how Choate reacted, but I really don’t see a problem with the call.
Me neither. And Rovig has made that punt just fine before.

I'm more intrigued by the "antics" from Choate people are talking about. I watched the game. I saw his displeasure a few times. Saw him light up some guys. Is that what we're talking about? I'm genuinely curious. Did he do something over the top that I missed? Because coaches jump on their guys all the time. Was anyone able to hear what he said, because that could obviously change my opinion. Or did he put his hands on a kid? Cause I would get on board with not tolerating that either.

I first read about this on egriz so took it with a grain of salt based on the source. Like Hauck has never screamed at a player before. :lol:

But I would love to hear what was done/said that was different than coaches I see yell at players every game.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:10 am

I noticed during the game that Choate seem much more animated than normal, and not in a ra-ra type way. More of spitting venom kind of way. I was not a fan of how he ripped into Rovig after the punt, completely necessary in my opinion. Choate just seemed like he was in a bad mood.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:19 am

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:10 am
I noticed during the game that Choate seem much more animated than normal, and not in a ra-ra type way. More of spitting venom kind of way. I was not a fan of how he ripped into Rovig after the punt, completely necessary in my opinion. Choate just seemed like he was in a bad mood.
Hmmm. I guess I just need more context before I'm willing to jump on that wagon.

But I've been on the sidelines before and have heard some pretty harsh stuff. So I guess I'd be surprised if it was way more than that.

It apparently was a pretty big deal because I've read a lot about it. I would love for someone to ask him about it today.

spring creek cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by spring creek cat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:22 am

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:10 am
I wonder if he wasn’t acting that way because of the environment we were playing in? Playing in Greeley is a challenge and maybe coach thought he needed to bring more fire to the sideline to keep players concentration levels high.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:38 am

I'm not saying he was way over the top or anything but I certainly noticed it. But I can only see whatever the camera let's me see, and maybe they just caught him doing that more against UNC than other camera crews have in other games I've watched. No real basis for comparison for me.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast