2019 Defense

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

User avatar
VimSince03
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7063
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm

2019 Defense

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:57 am

Current ranks in Big Sky:

2nd - Total Defense (363.3 ypg/5.0 per play) -> Per play average leads the Big Sky
3rd - Scoring Defense (22.7 ppg)
3rd - Rush Defense (123.7 ypg/3.4 ypc) -> Per rush average is tied with Griz for 1st in the Big Sky
4th - Pass Defense (239.6 ypg/6.8 ypc) -> Per pass average ranks second in the Big Sky
5th - Pass Defense Efficiency (130.7)
7th - Interceptions (8 - Leader has 12)
3rd - Sacks (27 - Leader has 38)
3rd - Opponent 1st Downs (18.7 per game)
5th - Opponent 3rd Down Conversions (37.6%)
7th - Opponent 4th Down Conversions (50.0 %)
6th - Redzone Defense (82.1% - Leader is at 67.7%)
4th - Redzone Defensive TD's Given Up (20 - Leader is at 10)

Individual standouts (by totals):

Top 50 in Total Tackles - 20th (Callahan O'Reilly); 40th (Bryce Sterk); 49th (Troy Andersen)
Top 20 in Sacks - 2nd (Bryce Sterk); 4th (Troy Andersen)
Top 20 in TFLs - 2nd (Bryce Sterk); Tied for 8th (Amandre Williams/Derek Marks); 10th (Troy Andersen)
Top 20 in Passes Defended - 6th (Tyrel Thomas)
Top 10 in Interceptions - 7th (Amandre Williams)

Final 2018 Ranks in Big Sky:

4th - Total Defense (409.2 ypg)
4th - Scoring Defense (28.5 ppg)
5th - Rush Defense (195.8 ypg/4.8 ypc)
4th - Pass Defense (213.5 ypg/7.2 ypc)
4th - Pass Defense Efficiency (123.8 )
5th - Interceptions (12 - Leader had 22)
5th - Sacks (23 - Leader had 40)
10th - Opponent 1st Downs
10th - Opponent 3rd Down Conversions (41.8%)
4th - Opponent 4th Down Conversions (50.0 %)
12th - Redzone Defense

I'll continue to update this until the end of the season. Keep in mind that the 2019 numbers includes the Texas Tech game where MSU almost gave up 700 yards. So far in 2019, we have improved in Scoring Defense, Total Defense, Rush Defense, Pass Defense, Sacks, Opponent 1st Down, Opponent 3rd Down Conv., and Redzone Defense. But yes lets keep stating the facts: stats are for losers, Kane is Marshall 2.0, Gregorak was better, and we don't have that "FIRE" anymore.
Last edited by VimSince03 on Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 7 times in total.


"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4558
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: 2019 Defense

Post by iaafan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:58 am

Andersen is actually sixth in TFL. They have him playing nine games, instead of eight. He sat out Norfolk game.



User avatar
VimSince03
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7063
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: 2019 Defense

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:02 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:58 am
Andersen is actually sixth in TFL. They have him playing nine games, instead of eight. He sat out Norfolk game.
I'm going by totals, not the average per game.


"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4558
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: 2019 Defense

Post by iaafan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:12 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:02 pm
iaafan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:58 am
Andersen is actually sixth in TFL. They have him playing nine games, instead of eight. He sat out Norfolk game.
I'm going by totals, not the average per game.
Impressive either way.



User avatar
VimSince03
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7063
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: 2019 Defense

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:13 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:12 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:02 pm
iaafan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:58 am
Andersen is actually sixth in TFL. They have him playing nine games, instead of eight. He sat out Norfolk game.
I'm going by totals, not the average per game.
Impressive either way.
Very...because he really hasn't even "played" in all 8 games full-time.


"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Catsrgrood
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:49 pm
Location: Billings

Re: 2019 Defense

Post by Catsrgrood » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:55 pm

I’d like to see an all FCS version of this, so many teams play up or down a level it’s hard to compare apples to apples. Although throughout a 12 game season they should level out and be relatively accurate.

Also agree that it’s very impressive that Andersen has the stats he does, just imagine if he was a full time linebacker and healthy all year...



User avatar
mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:44 pm

Re: 2019 Defense

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:02 pm

random note:

The Cats have 4 of the top 10 TFL leaders in the Big Sky. pretty impressive:


TACKLES FOR LOSS

1. CHOATES, Dariyn-SAC 15.0
2. OBINNA, George-SAC 14.5
3. STERK, Bryce-MSU 14.0
4. AKANNO, Charles-IDAHO 13.5
5. ERICKSON,Josiah-SAC 10.0
6. ELLISS, Christian-IDAHO 10.0
7. WILLIAMS, A.-MSU 10.0
MARKS, Derek-MSU 10.0
9. EATON, Nick-UCD 9.5
10. ANDERSEN, Troy-MSU 9.0


FTG- GO CATS GO!

User avatar
catsrback76
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7320
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:18 am
Location: 2300 meters up in Ethiopia!

Re: 2019 Defense

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:21 pm

These stats make it clear how well Troy is playing at LB, and as you mentioned, he really hasn't played an entire season at LB. Last week he showed up all over the field and that bodes well for the games left on our schedule. He is going to be FELT in November and will definitely rise in all categories but will make the Cat D nasty.



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4558
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: 2019 Defense

Post by iaafan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:44 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:02 pm
random note:

The Cats have 4 of the top 10 TFL leaders in the Big Sky. pretty impressive:


TACKLES FOR LOSS

1. CHOATES, Dariyn-SAC 15.0
2. OBINNA, George-SAC 14.5
3. STERK, Bryce-MSU 14.0
4. AKANNO, Charles-IDAHO 13.5
5. ERICKSON,Josiah-SAC 10.0
6. ELLISS, Christian-IDAHO 10.0
7. WILLIAMS, A.-MSU 10.0
MARKS, Derek-MSU 10.0
9. EATON, Nick-UCD 9.5
10. ANDERSEN, Troy-MSU 9.0
Four of top 7 actually.



User avatar
tdub
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1343
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:41 pm
Location: Kalispell

Re: 2019 Defense

Post by tdub » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:30 pm

Andersen’s speed was jaw-dropping on Saturday. It’s one thing to see the straight line speed in the open field trying to avoid guys. It’s an entirely different thing watching that speed running towards guys, closing a gap, and disrupting things. He was simply 2-3 steps closer to the play than “normal” speed is. SUU didn’t know how to handle it. Couple that with the speed that Hill was playing with as well and the defense turned from stout and good into absolutely dominant.


Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

User avatar
mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:44 pm

Re: 2019 Defense

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:35 pm

Also worth noting- Callahan Oreilly (sp ?) has probably been the biggest surprise/breakout player this year. He is leading the team in Tackles, I doubt anyone saw that coming prior to the season starting!

He has been very impressive.


FTG- GO CATS GO!

rivercat
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:26 am
Location: Bozeman

Re: 2019 Defense

Post by rivercat » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:36 pm

tdub wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:30 pm
Andersen’s speed was jaw-dropping on Saturday. It’s one thing to see the straight line speed in the open field trying to avoid guys. It’s an entirely different thing watching that speed running towards guys, closing a gap, and disrupting things. He was simply 2-3 steps closer to the play than “normal” speed is. SUU didn’t know how to handle it. Couple that with the speed that Hill was playing with as well and the defense turned from stout and good into absolutely dominant.
I was at the game and recorded it. Watching last night, I saw Troy missing a couple of TFL's and a few other tackles because he is going so fast. Once he masters tackling with more defensive reps (which I have no doubt he will) wow will he be an absolute wrecking ball.


"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 13230
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: 2019 Defense

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:43 pm

There are stats and then there's the eye test. Eye Test: MSU has the No. 2 defense in the Big Sky. They've had some bad moments -- the lone TD drive right before half vs. NAU and the drive by Poly right after going up 28-7 and a few huge plays -- and the SAC game wasn't great, but all-in-all and especially lately, you have to be pretty happy.

MSU needs to play great defense and not make big mistakes to succeed. They're definitely capable of doing that. Another solid game this week and they'll be set up pretty well to finish confidently.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

User avatar
tdub
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1343
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:41 pm
Location: Kalispell

Re: 2019 Defense

Post by tdub » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:44 pm

rivercat wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:36 pm
tdub wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:30 pm
Andersen’s speed was jaw-dropping on Saturday. It’s one thing to see the straight line speed in the open field trying to avoid guys. It’s an entirely different thing watching that speed running towards guys, closing a gap, and disrupting things. He was simply 2-3 steps closer to the play than “normal” speed is. SUU didn’t know how to handle it. Couple that with the speed that Hill was playing with as well and the defense turned from stout and good into absolutely dominant.
I was at the game and recorded it. Watching last night, I saw Troy missing a couple of TFL's and a few other tackles because he is going so fast. Once he masters tackling with more defensive reps (which I have no doubt he will) wow will he be an absolute wrecking ball.
I commented something very similar in the game day thread. I saw the same thing you did. The scariest thing for opposing offenses is that he still has significant room for improvement. It is obvious why his ceiling is so high at LB.


Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

onceacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1583
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Re: 2019 Defense

Post by onceacat » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:03 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:43 pm
There are stats and then there's the eye test. Eye Test: MSU has the No. 2 defense in the Big Sky. They've had some bad moments -- the lone TD drive right before half vs. NAU and the drive by Poly right after going up 28-7 and a few huge plays -- and the SAC game wasn't great, but all-in-all and especially lately, you have to be pretty happy.

MSU needs to play great defense and not make big mistakes to succeed. They're definitely capable of doing that. Another solid game this week and they'll be set up pretty well to finish confidently.
I think the mistakes are the missing link. The D has been solid at its worst, and great at its best. If they can quit with the occasional big mistakes, they could make the transition to dominant.



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 13230
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: 2019 Defense

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:31 pm

onceacat wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:03 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:43 pm
There are stats and then there's the eye test. Eye Test: MSU has the No. 2 defense in the Big Sky. They've had some bad moments -- the lone TD drive right before half vs. NAU and the drive by Poly right after going up 28-7 and a few huge plays -- and the SAC game wasn't great, but all-in-all and especially lately, you have to be pretty happy.

MSU needs to play great defense and not make big mistakes to succeed. They're definitely capable of doing that. Another solid game this week and they'll be set up pretty well to finish confidently.
I think the mistakes are the missing link. The D has been solid at its worst, and great at its best. If they can quit with the occasional big mistakes, they could make the transition to dominant.
For sure.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4558
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: 2019 Defense

Post by iaafan » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:34 pm

onceacat wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:03 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:43 pm
There are stats and then there's the eye test. Eye Test: MSU has the No. 2 defense in the Big Sky. They've had some bad moments -- the lone TD drive right before half vs. NAU and the drive by Poly right after going up 28-7 and a few huge plays -- and the SAC game wasn't great, but all-in-all and especially lately, you have to be pretty happy.

MSU needs to play great defense and not make big mistakes to succeed. They're definitely capable of doing that. Another solid game this week and they'll be set up pretty well to finish confidently.
I think the mistakes are the missing link. The D has been solid at its worst, and great at its best. If they can quit with the occasional big mistakes, they could make the transition to dominant.
I think you’re right and I think That’s happening and I think the thing that’s Making it happen is the natural progression and improvement of a lot of players.
Andersen, Williams, Hill, Scrempos, O’Reilly, Askelson and to a slightly lesser extent Benson, Marks (new position), Sterk (new position) are first year players/starters or coming back from long layoffs.

You can see them building chemistry and improving before your very eyes.

Defense has stopped giving up big plays the last three weeks. Just two plays over 30 yards with 36 being the biggest. Just six plays over 20 the last two games with just one over 30. Prior to that they were giving up 5 20+ yards plays per game.

First six games gave up plays of 69, 45, 36, 65, 36, 35, 29, 84, 57, 37, 28, 31, 31. Last three 32, 36.



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 13230
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: 2019 Defense

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:30 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:34 pm
onceacat wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:03 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:43 pm
There are stats and then there's the eye test. Eye Test: MSU has the No. 2 defense in the Big Sky. They've had some bad moments -- the lone TD drive right before half vs. NAU and the drive by Poly right after going up 28-7 and a few huge plays -- and the SAC game wasn't great, but all-in-all and especially lately, you have to be pretty happy.

MSU needs to play great defense and not make big mistakes to succeed. They're definitely capable of doing that. Another solid game this week and they'll be set up pretty well to finish confidently.
I think the mistakes are the missing link. The D has been solid at its worst, and great at its best. If they can quit with the occasional big mistakes, they could make the transition to dominant.
I think you’re right and I think That’s happening and I think the thing that’s Making it happen is the natural progression and improvement of a lot of players.
Andersen, Williams, Hill, Scrempos, O’Reilly, Askelson and to a slightly lesser extent Benson, Marks (new position), Sterk (new position) are first year players/starters or coming back from long layoffs.

You can see them building chemistry and improving before your very eyes.

Defense has stopped giving up big plays the last three weeks. Just two plays over 30 yards with 36 being the biggest. Just six plays over 20 the last two games with just one over 30. Prior to that they were giving up 5 20+ yards plays per game.

First six games gave up plays of 69, 45, 36, 65, 36, 35, 29, 84, 57, 37, 28, 31, 31. Last three 32, 36.
Those last two paragraphs are promising and I think they’re the byproduct of that chemistry.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 13230
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: 2019 Defense

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:37 pm

Another good day for the defense.

This is the aspect of the team I was most interested in today. They're on a roll. I thought if they came into Greeley and didn't stay on it, that it might put a chink in their armor.

They starters have only allowed one touchdown in the last 13 quarters and it was a trick play (double-pass).

Starters only gave up one play over 8 yards.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

User avatar
mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:44 pm

Re: 2019 Defense

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:42 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:37 pm
Another good day for the defense.

This is the aspect of the team I was most interested in today. They're on a roll. I thought if they came into Greeley and didn't stay on it, that it might put a chink in their armor.

They starters have only allowed one touchdown in the last 13 quarters and it was a trick play (double-pass).

Starters only gave up one play over 8 yards.

You beat me to it.

1 touchdown allowed in 3 games..... wow. Defense is playing lights out!!!!


FTG- GO CATS GO!

Post Reply