Impressive win?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4584
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Impressive win?

Post by iaafan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:11 am

Sure it was against a 2-7, now 2-8 team, but I don’t know of too many FCS teams that had a 42-0 lead at halftime this year. SUU also scored 52 offense points last week in a 59-34 win over Idaho State. They’ve only been beaten badly twice this year (Unlv, SoDak St).

Idaho was down 44-0 at half, but that was to Penn State.



Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1141
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: Frozeban

Re: Impressive win?

Post by Counter Assault » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:32 am

Against a 2-7 team? No, it's not.

Weber stomping Sac at home - that's impressive.



NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:50 am

Re: Impressive win?

Post by NorthernPlains » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:38 am

Counter Assault wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:32 am
Against a 2-7 team? No, it's not.

Weber stomping Sac at home - that's impressive.

I'd agree with this assessment.

Though psychologically it was an impressive and much needed turn around for the team.
Just squeaking out a win would have been a bad omen for the remainder of this season.



User avatar
VimSince03
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7073
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: Impressive win?

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:47 am

Counter Assault wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:32 am
Against a 2-7 team? No, it's not.

Weber stomping Sac at home - that's impressive.
I agree.

Another strange thing involving Weber State? They beat this same Southern Utah in Ogden 29-14 about a month ago. However, that game was tied at halftime and only 14-7 entering the 4th. Weber got some distance in the 4th before finishing the victory. Southern Utah outgained Weber (likely due to a little bit of garbage time yards) and overall played them tough. Probably could add the rivalry factor into it as well.

Anyway, just reminding everyone that a win is a win regardless of how you do it. After Saturday night's beatdown, I'm sure Weber doesn't care how they "had a bad win" over Southern Utah on October 12. They are a team that knows how to grind out wins and play competitively against any opponent.


"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

User avatar
WalkOn79
Member # Retired
Posts: 2241
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:47 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: Impressive win?

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:25 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:47 am
Counter Assault wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:32 am
Against a 2-7 team? No, it's not.

Weber stomping Sac at home - that's impressive.
I agree.

Another strange thing involving Weber State? They beat this same Southern Utah in Ogden 29-14 about a month ago. However, that game was tied at halftime and only 14-7 entering the 4th. Weber got some distance in the 4th before finishing the victory. Southern Utah outgained Weber (likely due to a little bit of garbage time yards) and overall played them tough. Probably could add the rivalry factor into it as well.

Anyway, just reminding everyone that a win is a win regardless of how you do it. After Saturday night's beatdown, I'm sure Weber doesn't care how they "had a bad win" over Southern Utah on October 12. They are a team that knows how to grind out wins and play competitively against any opponent.
Yeah, I see us ending up in Weber on December 7th for a second round game :shock:
That would be a knock-down, drag-out kind of playoff game.


"The pride and tradition
of Montana State football
will not be entrusted to
the timid or weak!"

Cliff Hysell, RIP

LIBBYCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:10 pm

Re: Impressive win?

Post by LIBBYCAT » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:35 am

I would suggest the word Decisive rather than impressive. Good teams are supposed to beat bad teams decisively. The first half was impressive from several vantages.
Preparation
Play Calling
Personnel used
Defensive effort(t-birds success actually came against the threes as the ones and twos roll in and out continuously)

I would like to have seen a continuation of the play calling that determined the outcome early for Bauman to see if he could pull it off. Going to be important to see the direction the Cats take going forward. Rovig seemed to flourish or at least not flounder with the more aggressive play calling and I would have liked to see if Bauman could also against the same D. Didn't need to show more plays but missed an opportunity for evaluation.



User avatar
WalkOn79
Member # Retired
Posts: 2241
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:47 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: Impressive win?

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:43 am

LIBBYCAT wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:35 am
I would suggest the word Decisive rather than impressive. Good teams are supposed to beat bad teams decisively. The first half was impressive from several vantages.
Preparation
Play Calling
Personnel used
Defensive effort(t-birds success actually came against the threes as the ones and twos roll in and out continuously)

I would like to have seen a continuation of the play calling that determined the outcome early for Bauman to see if he could pull it off. Going to be important to see the direction the Cats take going forward. Rovig seemed to flourish or at least not flounder with the more aggressive play calling and I would have liked to see if Bauman could also against the same D. Didn't need to show more plays but missed an opportunity for evaluation.
I felt the same way. We basically brought him in to hand off.


"The pride and tradition
of Montana State football
will not be entrusted to
the timid or weak!"

Cliff Hysell, RIP

User avatar
technoCat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2937
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: Impressive win?

Post by technoCat » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:47 am

WalkOn79 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:43 am
LIBBYCAT wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:35 am
I would suggest the word Decisive rather than impressive. Good teams are supposed to beat bad teams decisively. The first half was impressive from several vantages.
Preparation
Play Calling
Personnel used
Defensive effort(t-birds success actually came against the threes as the ones and twos roll in and out continuously)

I would like to have seen a continuation of the play calling that determined the outcome early for Bauman to see if he could pull it off. Going to be important to see the direction the Cats take going forward. Rovig seemed to flourish or at least not flounder with the more aggressive play calling and I would have liked to see if Bauman could also against the same D. Didn't need to show more plays but missed an opportunity for evaluation.
I felt the same way. We basically brought him in to hand off.
Bauman was given several passes to execute on his first drive. He was actually pretty aggressive going over the middle but was a heartbeat slow. I think he had Kassis wide open on a crosser that probably would have scored if he throws .5 second earlier.


DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE 01/05/1984

User avatar
kennethnoisewater
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1781
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Bigfork, MT

Re: Impressive win?

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:49 am

Counter Assault wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:32 am
Against a 2-7 team? No, it's not.

Weber stomping Sac at home - that's impressive.
Weber's win is more impressive for sure, but I don't care who you score 6 TD's against in the first half, that's impressive. If it wasn't impressive, you'd see teams do it all the time. If that had happened to SUU a few other times this season I'd be with you, but it hasn't, so I'm not.

Now what would really be impressive is if the Bobcats could do stuff like that consistently, and that's what is frustrating. That first half of football was impressive (unless you're a griz fan and don't want to admit it), and the second half was fine, especially since the D was able to maintain until the reserves were in. But let's see the offense play a few good games in a row. Please?


Image

User avatar
CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7765
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:37 am

Re: Impressive win?

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:52 am

It was a Decisive great win with an impressive first half of football.



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4584
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Impressive win?

Post by iaafan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:55 am

Decisive is a good word for it. And like someone said it was good that it wasn’t a sketchy 7-14 point win.

The first two MSU possessions of the second half were plagued by penalties. So they’re not out of the woods yet. But when you build a lead and the defense plays well you can absorb a couple possessions like that.

I think the problems all began at Poly after taking the 28-7 lead. On their next drive they had plays of 7,9,6, 21 and 31 yards. 7 plays, 75 yards, TD. Everyone talks about the bad punt and INT after that, but that drive was bad, too. Only two plays under six yards. Previous five possessions allowed just 84 yards. If just one unit (offense, defense or STs) had come through it might’ve eliminated the lasting impression that game left on their collective psyche.

The bad plays vs SUU led to punts. The bad plays vs everyone else led to points for the opponents or less points for MSU. Big difference.
Last edited by iaafan on Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.



LIBBYCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:10 pm

Re: Impressive win?

Post by LIBBYCAT » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:56 am

technoCat wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:47 am
WalkOn79 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:43 am
LIBBYCAT wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:35 am
I would suggest the word Decisive rather than impressive. Good teams are supposed to beat bad teams decisively. The first half was impressive from several vantages.
Preparation
Play Calling
Personnel used
Defensive effort(t-birds success actually came against the threes as the ones and twos roll in and out continuously)

I would like to have seen a continuation of the play calling that determined the outcome early for Bauman to see if he could pull it off. Going to be important to see the direction the Cats take going forward. Rovig seemed to flourish or at least not flounder with the more aggressive play calling and I would have liked to see if Bauman could also against the same D. Didn't need to show more plays but missed an opportunity for evaluation.
I felt the same way. We basically brought him in to hand off.
Bauman was given several passes to execute on his first drive. He was actually pretty aggressive going over the middle but was a heartbeat slow. I think he had Kassis wide open on a crosser that probably would have scored if he throws .5 second earlier.
I saw the same thing.
I honestly believe neither of these qb’s understand who they are as players yet in the college game and neither is who Miller wants/or thinks they are. Experienced coaches call plays to accentuate players strengths and experienced players play to their strengths. Development in both areas happened last week but will need to be much better in order to win out this year.



User avatar
catsrback76
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7342
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:18 am
Location: 2300 meters up in Ethiopia!

Re: Impressive win?

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:57 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:49 am
Counter Assault wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:32 am
Against a 2-7 team? No, it's not.

Weber stomping Sac at home - that's impressive.
Weber's win is more impressive for sure, but I don't care who you score 6 TD's against in the first half, that's impressive. If it wasn't impressive, you'd see teams do it all the time. If that had happened to SUU a few other times this season I'd be with you, but it hasn't, so I'm not.

Now what would really be impressive is if the Bobcats could do stuff like that consistently, and that's what is frustrating. That first half of football was impressive (unless you're a griz fan and don't want to admit it), and the second half was fine, especially since the D was able to maintain until the reserves were in. But let's see the offense play a few good games in a row. Please?
The Cats appear to me to one of the most explosive and talented teams in the conference, but with a total lack of ability to sustain it for an entire game. We can explode for 42... then go silent for 2 quarters.

We can get down 21, and then go off for 100 in the 3rd quarter. It's actually a bit of a head scratcher to me. We can just absolutely dominate...and then be dominated in the same game. (ok, I KNOW I'm overstating points scored, and I'm using dramatic language to make a point...all you literalists out there). :D



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4584
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Impressive win?

Post by iaafan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:03 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:57 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:49 am
Counter Assault wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:32 am
Against a 2-7 team? No, it's not.

Weber stomping Sac at home - that's impressive.
Weber's win is more impressive for sure, but I don't care who you score 6 TD's against in the first half, that's impressive. If it wasn't impressive, you'd see teams do it all the time. If that had happened to SUU a few other times this season I'd be with you, but it hasn't, so I'm not.

Now what would really be impressive is if the Bobcats could do stuff like that consistently, and that's what is frustrating. That first half of football was impressive (unless you're a griz fan and don't want to admit it), and the second half was fine, especially since the D was able to maintain until the reserves were in. But let's see the offense play a few good games in a row. Please?
The Cats appear to me to one of the most explosive and talented teams in the conference, but with a total lack of ability to sustain it for an entire game. We can explode for 42... then go silent for 2 quarters.

We can get down 21, and then go off for 100 in the 3rd quarter. It's actually a bit of a head scratcher to me. We can just absolutely dominate...and then be dominated in the same game. (ok, I KNOW I'm overstating points scored, and I'm using dramatic language to make a point...all you literalists out there). :D
I’ll take 42-0 and zero second half points every week. The zero points is a little odd, but I wasn’t expecting the offense to score much in the second half. Keep in mind the D set up two first half scores. Hardy dropped a pick-6 in the second half.

Don’t get me wrong though, because those drive altering penalties and dropped opportunities can’t happen in tight games.

There’s a lot of luck involved and I like how things played out in this game. You’re going to have mistakes, MSU made mistakes when they could afford to. Unlike previous games.



User avatar
mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4185
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:44 pm

Re: Impressive win?

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:06 am

yup, we could definitely use some consistency.

This team will show flashes of the hype that everyone has been so excited about going into this season. They will look unreal for a quarter or a half, and absolutely dreadful other quarters or half's.... kinda strange.

I will say this though- I feel like the defense is really starting to take shape. They are looking like the D that everyone was hyping up this preseason. The last 2 games they have basically allowed 1 touchdown... which was a trick play. The TD this last game was against the backups, so I'm not counting that.

The D is getting healthy with players like Filer, Hill and Okada getting back. Troy is starting to Dominate.... and they are looking really, REALLY good!


FTG- GO CATS GO!

User avatar
catsrback76
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7342
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:18 am
Location: 2300 meters up in Ethiopia!

Re: Impressive win?

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:07 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:03 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:57 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:49 am
Counter Assault wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:32 am
Against a 2-7 team? No, it's not.

Weber stomping Sac at home - that's impressive.
Weber's win is more impressive for sure, but I don't care who you score 6 TD's against in the first half, that's impressive. If it wasn't impressive, you'd see teams do it all the time. If that had happened to SUU a few other times this season I'd be with you, but it hasn't, so I'm not.

Now what would really be impressive is if the Bobcats could do stuff like that consistently, and that's what is frustrating. That first half of football was impressive (unless you're a griz fan and don't want to admit it), and the second half was fine, especially since the D was able to maintain until the reserves were in. But let's see the offense play a few good games in a row. Please?
The Cats appear to me to one of the most explosive and talented teams in the conference, but with a total lack of ability to sustain it for an entire game. We can explode for 42... then go silent for 2 quarters.

We can get down 21, and then go off for 100 in the 3rd quarter. It's actually a bit of a head scratcher to me. We can just absolutely dominate...and then be dominated in the same game. (ok, I KNOW I'm overstating points scored, and I'm using dramatic language to make a point...all you literalists out there). :D
I’ll take 42-0 and zero second half points every week. The zero points is a little odd, but I wasn’t expecting the offense to score much in the second half. Keep in mind the D set up two first half scores. Hardy dropped a pick-6 in the second half.

Don’t get me wrong though, because those drive altering penalties and dropped opportunities can’t happen in tight games.

There’s a lot of luck involved and I like how things played out in this game. You’re going to have mistakes, MSU made mistakes when they could afford to. Unlike previous games.
Yes, of course, me too. I'm speaking more to how they have played all season by enlarge save UND.



User avatar
VimSince03
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7073
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: Impressive win?

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:08 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:06 am
yup, we could definitely use some consistency.

This team will show flashes of the hype that everyone has been so excited about going into this season. They will look unreal for a quarter or a half, and absolutely dreadful other quarters or half's.... kinda strange.

I will say this though- I feel like the defense is really starting to take shape. They are looking like the D that everyone was hyping up this preseason. The last 2 games they have basically allowed 1 touchdown... which was a trick play. The TD this last game was against the backups, so I'm not counting that.

The D is getting healthy with players like Filer, Hill and Okada getting back. Troy is starting to Dominate.... and they are looking really, REALLY good!
Speaking of Ty, reminding everyone he is wearing #14 (not Keaton Anderson). Keaton and Jalen Cole took the year off to focus on getting healthy. Both are slated to return for their junior seasons and maybe get their numbers back?


"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4584
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Impressive win?

Post by iaafan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:18 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:08 am
mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:06 am
yup, we could definitely use some consistency.

This team will show flashes of the hype that everyone has been so excited about going into this season. They will look unreal for a quarter or a half, and absolutely dreadful other quarters or half's.... kinda strange.

I will say this though- I feel like the defense is really starting to take shape. They are looking like the D that everyone was hyping up this preseason. The last 2 games they have basically allowed 1 touchdown... which was a trick play. The TD this last game was against the backups, so I'm not counting that.

The D is getting healthy with players like Filer, Hill and Okada getting back. Troy is starting to Dominate.... and they are looking really, REALLY good!
Speaking of Ty, reminding everyone he is wearing #14 (not Keaton Anderson). Keaton and Jalen Cole took the year off to focus on getting healthy. Both are slated to return for their junior seasons and maybe get their numbers back?
Anderson is listed as #25 on the game day roster. But I realize he isn’t suiting up.



Catsrgrood
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 563
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:49 pm
Location: Billings

Re: Impressive win?

Post by Catsrgrood » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:29 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:06 am
yup, we could definitely use some consistency.

This team will show flashes of the hype that everyone has been so excited about going into this season. They will look unreal for a quarter or a half, and absolutely dreadful other quarters or half's.... kinda strange.

I will say this though- I feel like the defense is really starting to take shape. They are looking like the D that everyone was hyping up this preseason. The last 2 games they have basically allowed 1 touchdown... which was a trick play. The TD this last game was against the backups, so I'm not counting that.

The D is getting healthy with players like Filer, Hill and Okada getting back. Troy is starting to Dominate.... and they are looking really, REALLY good!
Speaking of Filer, I didn’t see him on the field Saturday. Did he aggravate an injury again or did they just hold him out to get closer to 100%?

Really need him for the last 2 games of the season and whatever playoff run the Cats are hoping to make.



91catAlum
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6539
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:41 pm
Location: Clancy, MT

Re: Impressive win?

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:13 pm

No wonder SUU is 2-8, they've got a brutal schedule. Look at their tougher games:

#3 Weber beat them 29-14.
#4 South Dakota State beat SUU 43-7.
#9 Northern Iowa beat them 34-14.
#14 MSU beat them 42-7.
#29 UC Davis beat them 33-25.
UNLV beat them 56-23.

Honest question - Are any of these "impressive wins"? Which of the games above would you consider to be the "most impressive" if I forced you to pick one?


Image

Post Reply