More bad calls

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Re: More bad calls

Post by cats2506 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:38 pm

Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:13 pm
cats2506 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:08 pm
Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:04 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:17 pm
At least two missed holdings. Cozzie got tackled rushing the QB.

The incomplete pass on the jet sweep called a fumble.

Two bad calls on Jonsen sideline catch. He reestablished inbounds and made catch. Then he was roughed out of bounds. They ruled no catch and therefore no penalty. Should’ve still been a penalty even IF ruled no catch.
They missed calls all over. It happens every week. I certainly enjoyed how the ref couldnt put a coherent thought together. Stammering through the whole game. Roughing the snapper on the PAT had to have been the best.
I haven't seen it on tv yet, but roughing the snapper is a real call, has been for many years. What happened that made that call so bad? (I was at the other end of the stadium)
No, the call was fine. The ref literally couldn't put the call together coherently. He stammered and corrected himself about 6 times.
ok, is see, yeah I saw that the idiot we had is the one that can hardly talk.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:58 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:20 pm
Then there was the PF on Thomas. Listening it sounded like Thomas started mouthing off to the guy but was told somebody was kicking a CAT and Thomas was standing up to the guy.
SUU player was clearly kicking Josh Hill in the head. Thomas was falling towards them, gained his balance but swatted at the feet of the kicking player and then posed over him like WTF dude. Horrible call.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

Catprint
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Catprint » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:27 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:24 pm
One that went our way. The horse collar was not a horse collar because he had the jersey not the shoulder pads.
Horse Collar Tackle
ARTICLE 15. All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside back collar
of the shoulder pads or jersey, the area, or the inside collar of the side of the
shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling the ball carrier down.

AnchorCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by AnchorCat » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:55 am

One bad call in our favor was Snell's TD reception. He was covered up so was an ineligible receiver.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:20 am

Catprint wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:27 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:24 pm
One that went our way. The horse collar was not a horse collar because he had the jersey not the shoulder pads.
Horse Collar Tackle
ARTICLE 15. All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside back collar
of the shoulder pads or jersey, the area, or the inside collar of the side of the
shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling the ball carrier down.
Thanks for posting the rules. If the rule says that you have to grab them by the collar of the jersey, which I think it does, then I still think it’s a bad call because if I remember correctly he just grabbed a handful of the back of his jersey not the collar. But not the worst call of the game by a long shot.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:42 am

Last week on UND's first touchdown (halfback pass to a WR). One of the OL was at least 10 yards downfield and not one ref called it.

2024 Resume dominance

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:16 am

Shat is part of the game...

and the Big Sky is the bottom of the barrel in Western America, (Pac-12 and MW) What do you expect?

Yes they suck... but it does nothing to bitch and whine about it. Been this way for 40 years.

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:39 am

Concerning the SUU punter that went down, I had a great angle to see it and he definitely flopped. The ref saw it as well and didn’t hesitate at all signaling that it was clean. I haven’t seen it on tv yet but I’d be really surprised if there was a better angle than what I had. Tv viewers should remember that in those fight scenes that look so real the kicks and punches missed by inches just like the rusher missed the punter. There’s a better acting school over the hill if punter wants to improve his flop act.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:53 am

Notice how the punter walked off without a trace of a limp after rolling around in such pain for so long.......

I too had a great view from my seat and the contact was all on the punter.

The Big Meowski
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by The Big Meowski » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:55 am

lutecat wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:53 am
Notice how the punter walked off without a trace of a limp after rolling around in such pain for so long.......

I too had a great view from my seat and the contact was all on the punter.
He flopped so hard he probably knocked the wind out of himself. He went about his business on the sideline and didn’t even get looked at on the trainers table.

Brian Demarais
Sec. 105
Row 2
Seat 1

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:19 am

It’s time to start game planning for the refs. Study film. Figure out their tendencies. Which ones can you run out of bounds and still make catch (Poly crew)? which ones allow holding (SUU crew)? Linemen downfield (UND crew).

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:44 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:19 am
It’s time to start game planning for the refs. Study film. Figure out their tendencies. Which ones can you run out of bounds and still make catch (Poly crew)? which ones allow holding (SUU crew)? Linemen downfield (UND crew).
This sounds like some fiendish Belicheckian ******. And since he's the best coach in the history of sports, I'm all for it.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:02 am

AnchorCat wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:55 am
One bad call in our favor was Snell's TD reception. He was covered up so was an ineligible receiver.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:24 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:02 am
AnchorCat wrote:
This feels like the kind of play we haven’t seen since Lulay was taking snaps.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:51 am

AnchorCat wrote:
I had to watch it several times to be sure, but I don’t think he was covered up. Snell started on the right side of the line and was never covered by anybody. He tripped over someone and fell trying to get to the left side, which may have made it seem like someone was on him.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:53 am

Cledus wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:24 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:02 am
AnchorCat wrote:
This feels like the kind of play we haven’t seen since Lulay was taking snaps.
I think Brandon Bostick and Joe Schreibeis both picked up a few of the "TE fakes blocking action, gets lost in traffic, and ends up uncovered near the goalline" style TDs. Salanoa only had one career TD so I'm not sure how he got that one.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:59 am

Cledus wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:51 am
AnchorCat wrote:
I had to watch it several times to be sure, but I don’t think he was covered up. Snell started on the right side of the line and was never covered by anybody. He tripped over someone and fell trying to get to the left side, which may have made it seem like someone was on him.
OP meant that the WR on that side lines up on the LOS. He should have been back a yard. In this formation, snell is an ineligible receiver.

That said, Jonsen is kind of in a gray area. It looks like He’s lined up half a yard off the LOS.
Last edited by wbtfg on Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:02 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:59 am
Cledus wrote:
AnchorCat wrote:
OP meant that the WR on that side lines up on the LOS. He should have been back a yard. In this formation, snell is an ineligible receiver.
Of course I knew that. I was testing to see who knew the rules. Congratulations, you passed. :wink: :wink:

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:05 am

allcat wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:46 pm
KittieKop wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:44 pm
If we want to point out missed calls, MSU pretty plainly hit the SUU punter on one of the punts, the one he was injured. Running into at the punter at the very least. Hit knee to knee.
From in the stands it looked clean to me. The kid seemed to spin after the Bobcat player was by him.
I was straight across from it , punter went into his dramatic spin and flop before contact from my view. Referee was shaking his head no before punter hit ground. He saw the same thing I did.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:07 am

Cledus wrote:
AnchorCat wrote:
He means "covered up" from the point of view of the linesman--basically, that the Bobcats were lined up in an illegal formation because the TE and outside receiver were both lined up on the line of scrimmage.

I think he's incorrect. The LOS is at the 9 and a half or so, while the outside receiver is lined up just behind the 10. That said, conventional wisdom would deem it pretty stupid not to just line up the full yard off the line of scrimmage. It eliminates any chance of getting called for illegal formation and it makes it harder for the DB to press him.

Of course, if the receiver is much bigger and more physical than the DB, you might want him to press your WR because it presents a prime opportunity for your receiver to get a push-off that is perfectly legal. It would be easier just to line him up on the line and have the TE line up a yard off the line, but then you're kind of tipping off that it's a pass...

There's a reason football coaches get paid to do this, and I don't :lol:

-Trent King, Playmakers