November Run

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

November Run

Post by catatac » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:32 am

Well it's certainly crunch time and we're about to learn what we really have with the 2019 Bobcats, Coaching Staff, etc. We were so damn close to winning that game at UND and I really felt like we were still going to pull it off at the end. Huge disappointment.

Choate always preaches his teams are always going to improve as the season goes on, and we'll be playing our best football in November. He "Promises us that."

Well I sure hope he's right about that because from what I see right now, the only way in hell we win out is if we play better against SUU than we did against UND, then we play better against UNC than we did against SUU, then we play better against UCD than we did against UNC, then finally play better against UM than we did against UCD. Actually you could probably flip flop SUU and UNC but otherwise the opponents look to get incrementally tougher as we go.

I'm pulling for that type of finish but I wouldn't bet my life's savings on it. Go Cats!

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: November Run

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:15 am

I'll go to this week's game, drink some beers with family/friends, see if we play better, and continue to root for the boys. All you can really do as a fan.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:29 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:15 am
I'll go to this week's game, drink some beers with family/friends, see if we play better, and continue to root for the boys. All you can really do as a fan.
Yep!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:39 pm

Ok everyone is fully invited to blame my blue and gold glasses for this next paragraph:

We aren't really in that bad a place right now. IF, and its a big IF, we get some momentum and confidence over the next two weeks, I think winning out is a viable possibility. Winning 3 of 4 is plausible. We have really been shooting ourselves in the foot all year and, not trying to take anything away from SSU and UND, probably could have won those games with 1 or 2 fewer mistakes. Maybe this team likes playing from behind. The Cats have never seemed to excel with expectations. I think that would be the number one culture change I want to see. Expect to win. Play with confidence.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:50 pm

technoCat wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:39 pm
Ok everyone is fully invited to blame my blue and gold glasses for this next paragraph:

We aren't really in that bad a place right now. IF, and its a big IF, we get some momentum and confidence over the next two weeks, I think winning out is a viable possibility. Winning 3 of 4 is plausible. We have really been shooting ourselves in the foot all year and, not trying to take anything away from SSU and UND, probably could have won those games with 1 or 2 fewer mistakes. Maybe this team likes playing from behind. The Cats have never seemed to excel with expectations. I think that would be the number one culture change I want to see. Expect to win. Play with confidence.
I agree...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:07 pm

RickRund wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:50 pm
technoCat wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:39 pm

I agree...
Hey I'm in with that, but just as an insurance policy where could I get a pair of those glasses?

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:08 pm

IT’S BIG MAN MONTH.

As Kramer used to call it.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:03 pm

If this team’s ever going to play consistently well, then the defense and run game will need to lead the way. MSU isn’t suddenly going to start throwing for 200 yards and two TDs a game.

That and they need to be about done making dumb mistakes. They’ve certainly made enough for a whole season.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CatFam
New Recruit

Post by CatFam » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:56 pm

I can’t wait til tomorrow, except for the getting up in 4 hours and driving from Kalispell. I’m taking my 10 yr old son to his first home game and second college game ever. He’s so excited and I love that he is. Although it will be hard to beat his first game....There’s something about sitting in the middle of the north end zone at WGS, decked out in blue and gold watching the Cats cause and recover a fumble. Jumping up and down celebrating, while hoping you little boy doesn’t get his dad’s ass kicked in said end zone. Time for the November to remember!!!!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:12 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:32 am
Well it's certainly crunch time and we're about to learn what we really have with the 2019 Bobcats, Coaching Staff, etc. We were so damn close to winning that game at UND and I really felt like we were still going to pull it off at the end. Huge disappointment.

Choate always preaches his teams are always going to improve as the season goes on, and we'll be playing our best football in November. He "Promises us that."

Well I sure hope he's right about that because from what I see right now, the only way in hell we win out is if we play better against SUU than we did against UND, then we play better against UNC than we did against SUU, then we play better against UCD than we did against UNC, then finally play better against UM than we did against UCD. Actually you could probably flip flop SUU and UNC but otherwise the opponents look to get incrementally tougher as we go.

I'm pulling for that type of finish but I wouldn't bet my life's savings on it. Go Cats!
So after today's games I'd revise my initial comments and say that the final three games get tougher as we go, and will all be tougher than what we had against SUU today. Northern Colorado beat ISU today, and we have to play them at home next weekend. 1 down 3 to go for the November run. Today was a good sign in terms of these Cats playing their best football in November and peaking late. =D^ One game at a time.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:14 pm

One other comment. After today I predict Cats and Griz head into that game both sitting at 8-3. Seriously doubt Griz beat Weber, even in Denny Stadium.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:49 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:03 pm
If this team’s ever going to play consistently well, then the defense and run game will need to lead the way. MSU isn’t suddenly going to start throwing for 200 yards and two TDs a game.

That and they need to be about done making dumb mistakes. They’ve certainly made enough for a whole season.
Unless KK plays QB :-). He says he throws the best ball — true or not, he’s got confidence!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:15 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:49 pm
TomCat88 wrote:

Unless KK plays QB :-). He says he throws the best ball — true or not, he’s got confidence!
Though Rovig did throw for 200 and 2 TD's against the best pass D in the BSC yesterday! Not bad considering he missed several others and had some drops on passes. Rovig is not a finished product, but he's more than "serviceable"!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:49 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:15 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Though Rovig did throw for 200 and 2 TD's against the best pass D in the BSC yesterday! Not bad considering he missed several others and had some drops on passes. Rovig is not a finished product, but he's more than "serviceable"!
Best pass defense in the BSC? Lol.

It's obvious that isn't true.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:10 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:49 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Best pass defense in the BSC? Lol.

It's obvious that isn't true.
They’re no. 1 in pass yards allowed. That number is most likely a byproduct of not being able to stop the run, so teams don’t pass much on them. They’re 10th in run defense and 9th pass D efficiency.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:16 am

You got to look who they’ve played. UNLV ran for 340 yards, Cal Poly is a rushing team, Weber is balanced but a more productive rushing team, even ISU had more yards rushing than passing against them. That defense isn’t even close to being one of the top defenses in the league. It goes Weber, Sac and I’d take the 2nd half of games Griz defensive team are the front runners. Like how we got another week where we can rest players who are banged up and give some younger players some experience like yesterday and build some momentum going into UC Davis and The Brawl and into the playoffs.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:40 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

SUU doesn't have a strong pass defense on a per attempt basis. They just haven't allowed a lot of passing yardage because their run defense is so abysmal. Teams are opting to run because it's so effective.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:46 pm

jgrilley406 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:16 am
You got to look who they’ve played. UNLV ran for 340 yards, Cal Poly is a rushing team, Weber is balanced but a more productive rushing team, even ISU had more yards rushing than passing against them. That defense isn’t even close to being one of the top defenses in the league. It goes Weber, Sac and I’d take the 2nd half of games Griz defensive team are the front runners. Like how we got another week where we can rest players who are banged up and give some younger players some experience like yesterday and build some momentum going into UC Davis and The Brawl and into the playoffs.
The Cats defensive starters have given up 1 TD in two games, and you'd take the griz D as third best?? WTH!!!

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:56 pm

I think UNC will be a hard place to play at, it's an away game and they are averaging around 6,000 people for home games. As long as the guys can stay focused and finish the we should be fine. Just can't look past them. Big game with UC Davis the week after.Go Cats!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:13 pm

Step II of the November run is in Greeley. Question: Have we ever won comfortably in Greeley? No matter the records, no matter the standings, it's always a struggle down there. The last time we played down there, after UNC missed a chip shot field goal, Chris Murray suddenly turned into to Aaron Rogers and led us into position for a walk off field goal for the win.
Natural grass. Bring your own energy-small stadium-smaller crowd. I'll be taking in the Greeley experience for the first time. Any other Bobcats fans gonna be there?