Future Quarterback for MSU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Future Quarterback for MSU

Post by Camo_Cat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:32 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:42 am
My best estimation of what our QB room will look like next year:

2 - transfers (JC and a dropdown)
1 - Rovig/Bauman/Beltran (2 will transfer/1 will stay)
1 - Thelen (continue to develop - throws the best ball of anyone on the roster)
1 - Knight (continue to either develop at QB or another position - he was recruited as an athlete)
2 - Robison/Mellott (both should redshirt - Tommy was originally recruited as a safety but took the next step at QB his senior year so he should get a chance to compete)

That leaves us with three upperclassmen and four lowerclassmen. Unless Rovig produces some magic down the stretch, MSU will (or should) go into next spring with a QB competition once again with legitimate contenders for the job.
Vim - you also mentioned 2 of our current QBs will transfer. I have that same feeling and mentioned it in another thread, especially if we bring in a transfer or two. Is this just a gut feeling you have, or is there some insight that this may be a real responsibility? We've had the three current guys in the program for a couple years now, and I can only assume that one, if not two of them, will grow impatient after the season.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:58 pm

Quarterbacks, quarterbacks everywhere but nobody who can throw. :-k :-k

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:12 pm

*gulp

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:18 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:12 pm

*gulp
Likely a PWO. But not gonna hold my breathe.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:22 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:18 pm
RobertCats wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:12 pm

*gulp
Likely a PWO. But not gonna hold my breathe.
Also for some players it comes down to opportunity to get on the field. He will have plenty at MSU.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:23 pm

I was surprised that someone like that would commit. What is it with these "committments" they sound like "if nothing better comes along" to me!

I still like Tommy Mellott. Have any of you seen his highlights? He looks pretty "polished" to me. Moves instinctually, throws accurately including long. Runs his offense with lots of confidence.

Not sure of his size.....maybe another Beltran, but one of the better QB's in Montana in recent years.

2024 Resume dominance

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:46 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:23 pm
I was surprised that someone like that would commit. What is it with these "committments" they sound like "if nothing better comes along" to me!

I still like Tommy Mellott. Have any of you seen his highlights? He looks pretty "polished" to me. Moves instinctually, throws accurately including long. Runs his offense with lots of confidence.

Not sure of his size.....maybe another Beltran, but one of the better QB's in Montana in recent years.
Robison didn’t de-commit.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:22 am

The “opportunity.” I’m not going to be too bummed if Wazzu or some other P5 school offers him a scholarship (it has to be full, the FBS can’t do partials) and he goes.

As of now he’s committed here and I’m glad that Leach, like our coaches, thinks he’s good.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:45 am

WeedKillinCat wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:23 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:04 pm
Good to see Gresch is sitting on the bench at Texas State. Good job buddy!!
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1189210329080688640

Oh....I just assumed he got benched. Well, he probably wouldn’t have gotten a concussion if he was playing for the Cats.

Punters are people too!!

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:57 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:45 am
WeedKillinCat wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:23 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:04 pm
Good to see Gresch is sitting on the bench at Texas State. Good job buddy!!
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1189210329080688640

Oh....I just assumed he got benched. Well, he probably wouldn’t have gotten a concussion if he was playing for the Cats.
Yeah, cause our players hardly ever get hurt :roll: Amiright?

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:36 pm

Helcat72 wrote:

I am so tired of "size" being considered a key characteristic of qb success. Here is the fact. At the FCS level, it is going to be extremely difficult to find a big qb that can play at a high level. Those kids are playing in FBS and probably the P5. There will be the very rare Carson Wentz that is hidden in rural state but don't base your entire offense around finding that diamond in the rough.

Look at the 4 best qb's in the BSC:
Jake Maier, UCD, 6'0"
Kevin Thompson, Sac St, 6'1"
Erik Barriere, EWU, 6'0"
Dalton Sneed, um, 6'1"

If any of these 4 were 6'5", they would be playing P5 football. My intent is not to bash our qb's, my point is that size is WAY down on the list what I am looking for in a qb.

I think this coaching staff has had a tendency to put too much emphasis on kids with prototypical size thinking they could coach them up. Remember those long rangy linebackers everyone was gaga about before last year....that characteristic was obviously not what makes a good linebacker. Best linebackers we've had recently were Mac Bignell and Josh Hill. Both were undersized for their position but were extremely instinctual players and thus highly productive.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:53 pm

rivercat wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:36 pm
Helcat72 wrote:

I am so tired of "size" being considered a key characteristic of qb success. Here is the fact. At the FCS level, it is going to be extremely difficult to find a big qb that can play at a high level. Those kids are playing in FBS and probably the P5. There will be the very rare Carson Wentz that is hidden in rural state but don't base your entire offense around finding that diamond in the rough.

Jake Maier, UCD, 6'0"
Erik Barriere, EWU, 6'0"
Dalton Sneed, um, 6'1"

If any of these 4 were 6'5", they would be playing P5 football. My intent is not to bash our qb's, my point is that size is WAY down on the list what I am looking for in a qb.

I think this coaching staff has had a tendency to put too much emphasis on kids with prototypical size thinking they could coach them up. Remember those long rangy linebackers everyone was gaga about before last year....that characteristic was obviously not what makes a good linebacker. Best linebackers we've had recently were Mac Bignell and Josh Hill. Both were undersized for their position but were extremely instinctual players and thus highly productive.
I agree. Thank you rivercat. We have two drop backQBs with impressive physical size but one lacks a lot of very basic fundamentals and one struggling with the mental aspects of the position. Then we have Beltran. A pass and run, scrambling playmaker QB, that is fundamentally solid but is only 6 ft and 180, so never even gets a chance. Does not add up.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:03 pm

I’m going to start playing a drinking game to every time bobcatbob brings up Beltran.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:12 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:42 am
My best estimation of what our QB room will look like next year:

2 - transfers (JC and a dropdown)
1 - Rovig/Bauman/Beltran (2 will transfer/1 will stay)
1 - Thelen (continue to develop - throws the best ball of anyone on the roster)
1 - Knight (continue to either develop at QB or another position - he was recruited as an athlete)
2 - Robison/Mellott (both should redshirt - Tommy was originally recruited as a safety but took the next step at QB his senior year so he should get a chance to compete)

That leaves us with three upperclassmen and four lowerclassmen. Unless Rovig produces some magic down the stretch, MSU will (or should) go into next spring with a QB competition once again with legitimate contenders for the job.
Hey, in the little interview that Kevin Kassis did, he said that he himself threw the best ball.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:14 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:03 pm
I’m going to start playing a drinking game to every time bobcatbob brings up Beltran.
I’m thinking that’s more dangerous than the AC/ DC thunder game

LIBBYCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by LIBBYCAT » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:15 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Your going to be drinking two fisted if the game this weekend doesn’t go well for Rovig!

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:16 pm

CelticCat wrote:
I figured this was an awesome idea so I went back and searched his posts.

.....I most likely have severe alcohol poisoning and probably need a ride to the local er.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:22 pm

rivercat wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:

Jake Maier, UCD, 6'0"
Erik Barriere, EWU, 6'0"
Dalton Sneed, um, 6'1"

I believe you are correct sir. For another opinion; below is an excerpt from an article I remembered having read years ago about Kellen Moore. I bolded the part where Chris Petersen put in a nut shell what’s most important.
Recruiters were turned off by Moore’s size — he’s 6-foot, 191 pounds now — and his lack of speed. His “choir-boy face” and “mop haircut” — as coaches describe them — might have fooled people, too.
He’s even a little awkward on his feet from being born with Achilles’ tendons that were too short. He had surgery to lengthen them the day after kindergarten ended — he walked on his tippy-toes before that — but still must remind himself to raise his knees when he runs.
“He just epitomizes the looks can be deceiving title,” Boise State coach Chris Petersen said. “And he also epitomizes what truly is important in playing quarterback, which is feel for the game, pocket presence, accuracy, toughness. All of that other stuff is icing on the cake.”
Moore, though, wasn’t atop the Broncos’ recruiting list. They chased a few other guys and offensive coordinator Bryan Harsin rated Moore “middle of the pack” at the annual summer high school camp. While Harsin and Petersen weighed their options, Wilcox offered to use a defensive scholarship on Moore — he was that certain of his potential.

Now I'm not pushing like BobcatBob but I can't deny I've wondered WTF

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:32 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Do you wanna die?

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:38 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:22 pm
rivercat wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:

Jake Maier, UCD, 6'0"
Erik Barriere, EWU, 6'0"
Dalton Sneed, um, 6'1"

I believe you are correct sir. For another opinion; below is an excerpt from an article I remembered having read years ago about Kellen Moore. I bolded the part where Chris Petersen put in a nut shell what’s most important.
Recruiters were turned off by Moore’s size — he’s 6-foot, 191 pounds now — and his lack of speed. His “choir-boy face” and “mop haircut” — as coaches describe them — might have fooled people, too.
He’s even a little awkward on his feet from being born with Achilles’ tendons that were too short. He had surgery to lengthen them the day after kindergarten ended — he walked on his tippy-toes before that — but still must remind himself to raise his knees when he runs.
“He just epitomizes the looks can be deceiving title,” Boise State coach Chris Petersen said. “And he also epitomizes what truly is important in playing quarterback, which is feel for the game, pocket presence, accuracy, toughness. All of that other stuff is icing on the cake.”
Moore, though, wasn’t atop the Broncos’ recruiting list. They chased a few other guys and offensive coordinator Bryan Harsin rated Moore “middle of the pack” at the annual summer high school camp. While Harsin and Petersen weighed their options, Wilcox offered to use a defensive scholarship on Moore — he was that certain of his potential.

Now I'm not pushing like BobcatBob but I can't deny I've wondered WTF
Me too. I'd like to see what the kid from Great Falls can do with a decent line in front of him. Now.