Matt Miller / Kellen Moore Connection

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Matt Miller / Kellen Moore Connection

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:04 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:42 pm
Cledus wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:36 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:27 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:14 pm
If Matt Miller had a mobile quarterback who could throw somewhat accurately we’d all think he was a genius.
He has one in Beltran. That kid is a gamer. He is very mobile and can make the throws. He makes things happen. The kid knows how to play QB. Fundamentally he is way ahead of Bauman and Rovig. He has worked with a professional QB private mentor in Scottsdale since he was 12 yo. Why he has never been given any type of chance is a mystery. He was recruited by Cole.
Given what we’ve seen so far from Rovig and Bauman, to me it makes sense to see how Beltran responds when the bullets start flying. We’d really be no worse off.
I really think he would surprise a lot of people. He doesn’t get rattled. He is football smart.
Based on what? HS tape? Div I football is a lot faster than Arizona HS football. As I have said before, there is a reason he is No. 3 and had very few offers coming out.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:21 pm

Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:04 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Cledus wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
If Matt Miller had a mobile quarterback who could throw somewhat accurately we’d all think he was a genius.
He has one in Beltran. That kid is a gamer. He is very mobile and can make the throws. He makes things happen. The kid knows how to play QB. Fundamentally he is way ahead of Bauman and Rovig. He has worked with a professional QB private mentor in Scottsdale since he was 12 yo. Why he has never been given any type of chance is a mystery. He was recruited by Cole.
Given what we’ve seen so far from Rovig and Bauman, to me it makes sense to see how Beltran responds when the bullets start flying. We’d really be no worse off.
I really think he would surprise a lot of people. He doesn’t get rattled. He is football smart.
Based on what? HS tape? Div I football is a lot faster than Arizona HS football. As I have said before, there is a reason he is No. 3 and had very few offers coming out.
Look at the level of competition he played against vs Bauman and Rovig. If your saying it goes to fast at the Div1 level for him, then it must be really to fast for those guys. Yes, I along with many others question the evaluations of our coaching staff when it comes to QBs as evidenced by the number of threads and posts on this on here. That has been a huge weakness.

MNCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MNCat » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:34 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:21 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Cledus wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Look at the level of competition he played against vs Bauman and Rovig. If your saying it goes to fast at the Div1 level for him, then it must be really to fast for those guys. Yes, I along with many others question the evaluations of our coaching staff when it comes to QBs as evidenced by the number of threads and posts on this on here. That has been a huge weakness.
If he is as good as you say he should have been able to take the job from Rovig or Bauman, not just hoping to get the chance. Obviously he is not better than either since he has not seen the field.

Martin lewis
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Martin lewis » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:44 pm

We are in year 4 and should have several QB’s that can play at this level. At what point do we stop trying to recruit kids who are designed for a difernent offense than we are running or switch our offense to the type the kids can play best? When do we look to the coaching staff and ask why did they not alter their play selection after a two week bye? The answer can not keep being wait til next year.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:02 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:22 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:16 pm

One thing I really liked about Matt last year was his ability to keep defenses on their toes with the run/pass combination. Things were in sync more than not. A lot of that had to do with Brian being in the booth with him as the run-game coordinator. I did not realize Brian wasn't in the booth anymore (which makes sense since he's the o-line coach once again) and what impact that may have had on Matt. Hopefully, a creative spark is lit because right now there is little to no flow in what MSU is doing offensively. "Clunky" has been the proper term nearly all year.
I'm going to beat the drum again, but it's hard to do a lot as a play caller when you're limited by your QB. That's not to say Miller has been perfect, but he's been dealt a short hand. Tucker isn't playing well, he isn't playing with confidence, and quite frankly, the team is feeding off of that lack of confidence. ...and so are our opponents!Add to that our injured RB's, and it's hard to conjure up things right now.

2024 Resume dominance

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:06 pm

Martin lewis wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:44 pm
We are in year 4 and should have several QB’s that can play at this level. At what point do we stop trying to recruit kids who are designed for a difernent offense than we are running or switch our offense to the type the kids can play best? When do we look to the coaching staff and ask why did they not alter their play selection after a two week bye? The answer can not keep being wait til next year.
Yep, the coaches may not have created the quarterback hole but they sure have dug it deeper.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:17 pm

MNCat wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:34 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
Cledus wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
If he is as good as you say he should have been able to take the job from Rovig or Bauman, not just hoping to get the chance. Obviously he is not better than either since he has not seen the field.
What you are not getting is that he was never given the chance to compete against those guys. You are assuming the coaches are making good decisions in their QB evaluations. That has proven not to be the case when you look at what Bauman and Rovig have done.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:34 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:17 pm
MNCat wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
Cledus wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
What you are not getting is that he was never given the chance to compete against those guys. You are assuming the coaches are making good decisions in their QB evaluations. That has proven not to be the case when you look at what Bauman and Rovig have done.
What does this mean? I saw him last spring as well as this fall. He was playing qb like the other qb’s. He was running the offense and doing the drills. He never showed me anything to think he should have been vying to be a starter this year.

You claim that the coaches obviously don’t know a thing about what a qb should look like because they started bauman and Rovig who have not played well.

I claim that Rovig was playing a bit better than bauman who was playing better than Beltran. Just because Rovig and bauman aren’t playing well doesn’t mean Beltran is better. It might just mean that we have 3 bad quarterbacks but of those 3 they think Rovig is best. Obviously not a great situation to be in.

Serious question, have you been watching all the practices in the mornings this season? If so I’ll take your word that Beltran looks much better than he did this fall and much better than Rovig and Bauman.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:14 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:34 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:17 pm
MNCat wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
Cledus wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
What does this mean? I saw him last spring as well as this fall. He was playing qb like the other qb’s. He was running the offense and doing the drills. He never showed me anything to think he should have been vying to be a starter this year.

You claim that the coaches obviously don’t know a thing about what a qb should look like because they started bauman and Rovig who have not played well.

I claim that Rovig was playing a bit better than bauman who was playing better than Beltran. Just because Rovig and bauman aren’t playing well doesn’t mean Beltran is better. It might just mean that we have 3 bad quarterbacks but of those 3 they think Rovig is best. Obviously not a great situation to be in.

Serious question, have you been watching all the practices in the mornings this season? If so I’ll take your word that Beltran looks much better than he did this fall and much better than Rovig and Bauman.
I didn’t say that coaches obviously don’t know a thing about what a QBs should look like. I said they have not done a good job in evaluating QBs overall. Makes me question their evaluations of all three QBs.

I did attend just about every Fall camp practice and both scrimmages. It was hard to tell with Beltran because he was in different drills a lot than Bauman and Rovig. Also, tough to judge in practice when the QBs know they are not being tackled. When bullets fly is where you really see who can play. We haven’t seen that with Beltran.

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:04 am

bobcatbob wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:14 pm
I didn’t say that coaches obviously don’t know a thing about what a QBs should look like. I said they have not done a good job in evaluating QBs overall. Makes me question their evaluations of all three QBs.

I did attend just about every Fall camp practice and both scrimmages. It was hard to tell with Beltran because he was in different drills a lot than Bauman and Rovig. Also, tough to judge in practice when the QBs know they are not being tackled. When bullets fly is where you really see who can play. We haven’t seen that with Beltran.
Agreed on the last part. Some people freeze under pressure, others thrive. Without seeing him in action, we don’t know where Beltran is on that equation.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:24 am

exppi wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:04 am
bobcatbob wrote:

Agreed on the last part. Some people freeze under pressure, others thrive. Without seeing him in action, we don’t know where Beltran is on that equation.
I don’t disagree with what you guys are saying. And I’m not acting like the coaches can’t make mistakes. But I think we are grossly underestimating their knowledge if we truly believe our 3rd string (maybe?) QB is the best on the roster and no one on the staff recognizes that.

In my experience with sports, about 99.9% of the time if a guy isn’t playing, there is a reason. And it usually has to do with his/her skill rather than the coach is just being mean or that they are not smart enough. Remember these guys’ jobs depend on these decisions....

Another thing to consider. Choate said yesterday it’s not like he’s an offensive genius. And that’s true. And while our friends in Missoula and the trolls on this board with nothing better to do will try to twist what he said, it’s not like he’s an idiot. Anyone who has ever been to QB club and listened to him break down plays can vouch for that. The guy knows the game front, back and sideways. But he acknowledges that offense isn’t his strength. So while we’ve struggled at that position for a variety of reasons, some his fault some not, it’s not like it’s because the head football coach doesn’t have the understanding of what an offense needs to look like.

Am I really supposed to believe that a guy who has spent his whole life in coaching doesn’t know as much about coaching as the really good coaches on a message board?!

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:12 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:24 am
exppi wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:

I don’t disagree with what you guys are saying. And I’m not acting like the coaches can’t make mistakes. But I think we are grossly underestimating their knowledge if we truly believe our 3rd string (maybe?) QB is the best on the roster and no one on the staff recognizes that.

In my experience with sports, about 99.9% of the time if a guy isn’t playing, there is a reason. And it usually has to do with his/her skill rather than the coach is just being mean or that they are not smart enough. Remember these guys’ jobs depend on these decisions....

Another thing to consider. Choate said yesterday it’s not like he’s an offensive genius. And that’s true. And while our friends in Missoula and the trolls on this board with nothing better to do will try to twist what he said, it’s not like he’s an idiot. Anyone who has ever been to QB club and listened to him break down plays can vouch for that. The guy knows the game front, back and sideways. But he acknowledges that offense isn’t his strength. So while we’ve struggled at that position for a variety of reasons, some his fault some not, it’s not like it’s because the head football coach doesn’t have the understanding of what an offense needs to look like.

Am I really supposed to believe that a guy who has spent his whole life in coaching doesn’t know as much about coaching as the really good coaches on a message board?!
Fair enough but why is MM the guy instead of a more experienced OC. MM may turn out to be great eventually but this was the wrong time for him to be in charge of this offense. The offense from the time Choate arrived has steadily regressed to the low point last week.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:17 am

ilovethecats wrote:
exppi wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:

Great post. Coaches are going to play the best option available. Calls for Beltran to play are desperate fans looking for any possible solution despite not having all the facts. I am intrigued by Beltran, but I am also 100% confident that the coaches have evaluated him thoroughly and see Bauman and Rovig as better options.

Unfortunately, we may not have a solution at QB for this year. Recall that Murray was supposed to be back and playing this year allowing Rovig and Bauman the ability to continue to develop. They clearly have the physical tools to be great quarterbacks. How many schools would be salivating at a prospect like Bauman who is 6’7, powerful, athletic and has a rocket arm? When Murray was declared ineligible this summer (which is hard to fathom), you have to go with these two kids that are still learning to play at this level.

I have heard Choate at QB club and my biggest takeaway on offense is that it is too complicated. Some plays are doomed to fail due to reading the defense incorrectly. There was a play this week where Rovig has two crossing wide receivers. He chooses which receiver to pass to based on what the linebacker is doing. Tucker locked into the wrong option and almost threw a pick. The other wr was open for at least a 10 yard gain. Put yourself in Tucker’s shoes for a moment. He is getting rushed and he is watching the LB, while also keeping track of his two receivers and must be aware of any other defender in the area.

On another play with no “live in action” reads required by Tucker (just a pre-snap read), he simply waits a second too long to pass the ball to the flat. It was a completion, but for no gain. If he threw the ball on time, it is a 7 yard gain. That pause may have been because he is so fixated on making the right decisions, and he can’t just relax and play.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:20 am

1984champ wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:12 am
ilovethecats wrote:
exppi wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:

Fair enough but why is MM the guy instead of a more experienced OC. MM may turn out to be great eventually but this was the wrong time for him to be in charge of this offense. The offense from the time Choate arrived has steadily regressed to the low point last week.
But the offense improved almost every game until we got to SSU. Remember they had a plan to be a RB run heavy team and we have been absolutely decimated at that position and they did some new things at UND including the Estes end around and Rovig running on 3rd down. We finally ran a wheel route that was wide open but the defender came off another route to make the play. Jonsen finally ran a double move and dropped a td. I think he's been trying to add wrinkles but the players need to execute. With that said, he needs to definitely improve his play sequencing to keep momentum and I think needs to go back to playing fast and not subbing when we run the qb run with Jonsen and Rovig at WR.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:29 am

ilovethecats wrote:
exppi wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:

Yes you are right -on about Choate. I am not underestimating Choate or any of our coaches knowledge. I like Choate. I like Matt Miller. I think he will mature into a good OC. I am also not saying that Beltran is the best on the roster and the staff doesn't recognize that. I am just saying some things do not add up here.

I have been going to Fall camp practices since Cliff Hysell. In practice, when they do 7 on 7 or 11 on 11 the coach calls a play and the QB runs that play. There is no room to improvise if the play breaks down. Also, the QB is in a red shirt and knows he is not going to get hit. Bauman looks like like an all-american in practice. His physical size and arm stands out. Rovig is not far behind physically. However, when you get into a game situation with live bullets the flaws or weaknesses show up very quickly. We have seen that with both Bauman and Rovig. With Beltran we don't know what he looks like with the bullets flying ,because he never had the opportunity. Beltran started playing QB at 10 yo. in the AZ National Youth League. I had the opportunity to watch his younger brother play QB on that youth team last Spring when we were in AZ. His brother is 11 years old. He is also being mentored by former pro QB in Scottsdale, Dan Minucci. Watching these kids play was an eye opener. These kids can play. They progress thru the age groups and play for championships and even travel out of State to tournaments in California and Las Vegas. By the time they get to high school, these kids are football smart. With Ruben, he played thru the age groups and and then onto Centienniel High a perennial powerhouse in AZ, even on an national level. He led them to the State large school championship. His reputation all along is that of a football smart gamer that is confident and will find a way to win. He knows how to escape pressure and is sound fundamentally. He can throw on the run and is accurate. If it is third and 3 or 4 he will find a way to get that first down. That is his reputation. I heard it from numerous people when we attended his brothers game that day. When I look at this and contrast it with Bauman and even Rovig's background, coupled with their live game performances, that is where I question why Beltran has not at least been given any opportunity to show what he can do in a live game. Not saying he should be the starter now, but at least give him a look in a game. To just dismiss him as the third string QB is strange to me. In addition, his game seems to fit our offense much better than drop back QBs. I remember when Lulay was a freshman in his first Fall camp. He looked fairly average in practice. He was nowhere near an eyeopener. But when Tyler Thomas faultered and Kramer had to do something he threw in Lulay and the rest is history as he turned out to be a real gamer.

This is my last post on this subject. You are probably all glad. It's time to think about the Cats winning out and getting in the playoffs. I will be there Saturday rooting for whoever is playing QB to be successful and a Cats win. Go Cats!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:34 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:17 am
ilovethecats wrote:
exppi wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:

Great post. Coaches are going to play the best option available. Calls for Beltran to play are desperate fans looking for any possible solution despite not having all the facts. I am intrigued by Beltran, but I am also 100% confident that the coaches have evaluated him thoroughly and see Bauman and Rovig as better options.

Unfortunately, we may not have a solution at QB for this year. Recall that Murray was supposed to be back and playing this year allowing Rovig and Bauman the ability to continue to develop. They clearly have the physical tools to be great quarterbacks. How many schools would be salivating at a prospect like Bauman who is 6’7, powerful, athletic and has a rocket arm? When Murray was declared ineligible this summer (which is hard to fathom), you have to go with these two kids that are still learning to play at this level.

I have heard Choate at QB club and my biggest takeaway on offense is that it is too complicated. Some plays are doomed to fail due to reading the defense incorrectly. There was a play this week where Rovig has two crossing wide receivers. He chooses which receiver to pass to based on what the linebacker is doing. Tucker locked into the wrong option and almost threw a pick. The other wr was open for at least a 10 yard gain. Put yourself in Tucker’s shoes for a moment. He is getting rushed and he is watching the LB, while also keeping track of his two receivers and must be aware of any other defender in the area.

On another play with no “live in action” reads required by Tucker (just a pre-snap read), he simply waits a second too long to pass the ball to the flat. It was a completion, but for no gain. If he threw the ball on time, it is a 7 yard gain. That pause may have been because he is so fixated on making the right decisions, and he can’t just relax and play.
Reading a defender on a crosser is a simple, common read for a QB. That doesn't mean that it would easy for any of us, I know it wouldn't be easy for me, but that's not a difficult read at this level. You don't even have to watch your receivers, you watch the defender.

In regards to Bauman, whom I like...there is a reason a 6'7 QB with a rocket arm is playing here. Like you said, that's a prototype that coaches love. Anytime a QB with those measurables comes to a small school like this, there is a reason. Bauman is incredibly raw. Like you said, he wasn't ready to play. Will he ever be? Hopefully, but it's not even close to a guarantee.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:11 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:34 am
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
exppi wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:

Reading a defender on a crosser is a simple, common read for a QB. That doesn't mean that it would easy for any of us, I know it wouldn't be easy for me, but that's not a difficult read at this level. You don't even have to watch your receivers, you watch the defender.

In regards to Bauman, whom I like...there is a reason a 6'7 QB with a rocket arm is playing here. Like you said, that's a prototype that coaches love. Anytime a QB with those measurables comes to a small school like this, there is a reason. Bauman is incredibly raw. Like you said, he wasn't ready to play. Will he ever be? Hopefully, but it's not even close to a guarantee.
If that read of the linebacker was easy, we would have 13 Big Sky quarterbacks throw for 250 yards every week. But my point is basic, it is not an aim and shoot game for these guys. There is a lot of thinking (unless your Gruden and everything is supposed to be easy).

In my opinion, Miller can dumb down the calls for Rovig. The hitch and go deep pass to Jonsen that was dropped is a good example. Jonsen runs a specific route and Rovig knows where the ball needs to be placed.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:30 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:11 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
exppi wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:

If that read of the linebacker was easy, we would have 13 Big Sky quarterbacks throw for 250 yards every week. But my point is basic, it is not an aim and shoot game for these guys. There is a lot of thinking (unless your Gruden and everything is supposed to be easy).

In my opinion, Miller can dumb down the calls for Rovig. The hitch and go deep pass to Jonsen that was dropped is a good example. Jonsen runs a specific route and Rovig knows where the ball needs to be placed.
I agree with bobcat99 that a crosser should be simple for a QBs at the fcs level. A QB at the fcs level should have no problem with reading and reacting quickly.

If we have to dumb down calls for our QBs at the fcs level, then yes we have a big problem. The defense will catch onto that pretty quickly. Just my opinion.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:35 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:30 pm
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
exppi wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:

I agree with bobcat99 that a crosser should be simple for a QBs at the fcs level. A QB at the fcs level should have no problem with reading and reacting quickly.

If we have to dumb down calls for our QBs at the fcs level, then yes we have a big problem. The defense will catch onto that pretty quickly. Just my opinion.
I have to disagree. There is a plethora of QBs that are being drafted in the first 3 rounds that don't know how to do anything but make one read to a scripted player that is always open because their OCs are geniuses. I think we as fans with an elevated angle seem to assume the qb is just sitting there watching receivers and not trying to look around defensive lineman's heads or worry about the rush. I'm not saying that we shouldn't expect to have a guy on the roster that can do that, I just bridle a little when posters talk about how easy it is make reads.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:02 pm

technoCat wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:35 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:30 pm
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
exppi wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:

I have to disagree. There is a plethora of QBs that are being drafted in the first 3 rounds that don't know how to do anything but make one read to a scripted player that is always open because their OCs are geniuses. I think we as fans with an elevated angle seem to assume the qb is just sitting there watching receivers and not trying to look around defensive lineman's heads or worry about the rush. I'm not saying that we shouldn't expect to have a guy on the roster that can do that, I just bridle a little when posters talk about how easy it is make reads.
Nobody is saying it is easy to make reads. However it is a skill that a QBs should have at the Div1 level.