Matt Miller / Kellen Moore Connection

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

4thecats
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Matt Miller / Kellen Moore Connection

Post by 4thecats » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:15 pm

I wonder if there is enough of a relationship there for some mentoring? I think Kellen Moore is doing good things in Dallas with the Cowboys offense.
Plays you don't typically see in the NFL are working well for him. He's also mixing it up well.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Re: Matt Miller / Kellen Moore Connection

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:48 pm

The answer is yes! Maybe not mid season though, not sure.

2024 Resume dominance

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:14 pm

If Matt Miller had a mobile quarterback who could throw somewhat accurately we’d all think he was a genius.

superbobcat

Post by superbobcat » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:18 pm

Miller spent time in Dallas over the summer, I read.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:19 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:14 pm
If Matt Miller had a mobile quarterback who could throw somewhat accurately we’d all think he was a genius.
I was thinking the same. I’ve seen a couple comments about opening up the offense. I give the coaches enough credit thst if they felt we could open up the offense they would.

I’m not giving up on this season yet but it’s very clear that this staff needs to do something huge with the qb situation after this season.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:27 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
He has one in Beltran. That kid is a gamer. He is very mobile and can make the throws. He makes things happen. The kid knows how to play QB. Fundamentally he is way ahead of Bauman and Rovig. He has worked with a professional QB private mentor in Scottsdale since he was 12 yo. Why he has never been given any type of chance is a mystery. He was recruited by Cole.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:36 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:27 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
He has one in Beltran. That kid is a gamer. He is very mobile and can make the throws. He makes things happen. The kid knows how to play QB. Fundamentally he is way ahead of Bauman and Rovig. He has worked with a professional QB private mentor in Scottsdale since he was 12 yo. Why he has never been given any type of chance is a mystery. He was recruited by Cole.
Given what we’ve seen so far from Rovig and Bauman, to me it makes sense to see how Beltran responds when the bullets start flying. We’d really be no worse off.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:42 pm

Cledus wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:36 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Given what we’ve seen so far from Rovig and Bauman, to me it makes sense to see how Beltran responds when the bullets start flying. We’d really be no worse off.
I really think he would surprise a lot of people. He doesn’t get rattled. He is football smart.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:44 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:42 pm
Cledus wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:36 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
I really think he would surprise a lot of people. He doesn’t get rattled. He is football smart. Yes, give the kid a chance. Why is he on the team if they are never going to give him a chance.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:49 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Hi Bob! Gato here. First time, long time.

Hey, was wondering if you could weigh in on the Cats' QB3. I believe his name is Ruben Beltran? Specifically, if you know anything about his high school background and any special coaching he's had-- that's the sort of detail I'm looking for. Please and thank you.

I'll hang up and listen.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:09 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:49 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

Hey, was wondering if you could weigh in on the Cats' QB3. I believe his name is Ruben Beltran? Specifically, if you know anything about his high school background and any special coaching he's had-- that's the sort of detail I'm looking for. Please and thank you.

I'll hang up and listen.
Yes, went to Peoria Centenniel, HS. He quarterbacked them to the State Championship his senior year. Centenniel is a perennial powerhouse in AZ. Every year they play a game against top high schools in the Country - Mater Dei, St John Bosco, St Thomas Acquinas, Bishop Gorman to name a few. This year they played Mater Dei on ESPN. Ruben has been privately mentored by a former pro QB Dan Minucci in Scottsdale since he was 12.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:11 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:09 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

I'll hang up and listen.
Yes, went to Peoria Centenniel, HS. He quarterbacked them to the State Championship his senior year. Centenniel is a perennial powerhouse in AZ. Every year they play a game against top high schools in the Country - Mater Dei, St John Bosco, St Thomas Acquinas, Bishop Gorman to name a few. This year they played Mater Dei on ESPN. Ruben has been privately mentored by a former pro QB Dan Minucci in Scottsdale since he was 12.
Thank you, Bob! :thumbup:

MNCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MNCat » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:21 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

I'll hang up and listen.
If his parents have been paying a QB coach since he was 12 he will be gone after this year, since he has not gotten an opportunity to play. If they spent that much money do not want to see him not play or converted to another position.

Bobcat Bob if he is as good as you say then the coaches must not like him, why would they choose to lose games playing Quarterbacks that are inferior to Beltran?

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:24 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:11 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

I'll hang up and listen.
Gato, contrast that to Bauman who went to a HS in a town of 1900 people way up in WA on the Canadian border. Who would you think is better prepared to play at the fcs level?

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:29 pm

MNCat wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:21 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

I'll hang up and listen.
If his parents have been paying a QB coach since he was 12 he will be gone after this year, since he has not gotten an opportunity to play. If they spent that much money do not want to see him not play or converted to another position.

Bobcat Bob if he is as good as you say then the coaches must not like him, why would they choose to lose games playing Quarterbacks that are inferior to Beltran?
That is my question. Why hasn’t he even been given a chance? He was recruited by Cole who is a well respected QBs coach after he saw what he had in Rovig and Bauman. Something is not adding up here.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:35 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:24 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:11 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

I'll hang up and listen.
Gato, contrast that to Bauman who went to a HS in a town of 1900 people way up in WA on the Canadian border. Who would you think is better prepared to play at the fcs level?
Troy Andersen.

4thecats

Post by 4thecats » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:40 pm

I have not been able to pay enough attention to Spring scrimmages and practices. How has Beltran performed and no situations when put in the game?
What does he do during the season? Does he run Scout offense?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:47 pm

4thecats wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:40 pm
I have not been able to pay enough attention to Spring scrimmages and practices. How has Beltran performed and no situations when put in the game?
What does he do during the season? Does he run Scout offense?
I have only seen Beltran play QB once. His size has to be the main question. And before anybody references the roster, he does not look like the 180 and 6 foot he is listed. I would be concerned having him take the hits out QBs have been taking. Hindsight is 20/20, but Choate should have given him more live reps late in the Norfolk game. Specifically reps that involved passing, not yet handing off the ball.

Additionally, if Choate plays Beltran and he is awful, the same people calling for Beltran would be the first to criticize the failure. Many called for Bauman and they were wrong. Many called for Rovig and here we are today.
Right now, we do not have a great solution. If I am Choate, I don’t even consider Beltran at this point unless 100% certain of success.

Our best bet is to figure out to make our offense productive with the current options we have. Miller needs to take a hard look at what is not working and eliminate it (or not go to the same well 8 times a game). For example, the pass to the flat is not working. It has now become high risk as defenders attack the pass to the flat and I see potential for a pick 6. So it is high risk, low reward... Get rid of the play or make a change to it. How about faking the pass to the flat and hitting the tight end on the opposite side across the middle. Matt has to do a better job calling a game.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:19 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
You don’t say? Never heard of him... :lol:

Probably should just give up this crusade for Beltran, because clearly it ain’t happening. But it’s a little odd, you sound like his dad or something. Maybe he’s just not all that great?

GO CATS GO!!!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:43 am

I wonder if Moore has given Miller the play that Dallas uses in the red zone? Prescott rolls right after faking to Elliot and Elliot leads him around the corner. If the LB or CB on that side runs past Elliot to get to Prescott, he flips a pass to Elliot. If not he follows Elliot. Do it with Troy and Travis.

2024 Resume dominance