On to Southern Utah

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Re: On to Southern Utah

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:54 pm

NorthernPlains wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:02 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:44 am
I personally don't think the issue is Rovig. Yes he needs to play better but Miller isn't doing him any favors, and Choate isn't doing MIller any favors, he pretty much said so himself in the presser. The entire offense is playing not to lose and to me that starts at the top. The playbook has seemingly shrunk every week and Choate said teams have put us in a box because of it.

Take the training wheels off. Take some risks. Throw some wrinkles in, let Rovig make some reads and sit back there and assess the field and make a decision. I think guys are afraid to mess up. Just let them play and ball out.

Good post. The QB can't progress if he isn't given a chance. He should never be standing out there as a wide receiver. That is a waste.
Rovig has to begin the huddle to keep the threat of him as QB when they break it. Otherwise the defense could adjust their personnel to stop the run. (e.g. bring in a LB in place of a CB or Safety.)
Last edited by Helcat72 on Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2024 Resume dominance

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:53 pm

FIRST LOOK: Thunderbirds carry momentum into matchup with standstill Bobcats
https://skylinesportsmt.com/first-look-southern-utah/

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:26 am

CelticCat wrote:
I personally don't think the issue is Rovig. Yes he needs to play better but Miller isn't doing him any favors, and Choate isn't doing MIller any favors, he pretty much said so himself in the presser. The entire offense is playing not to lose and to me that starts at the top. The playbook has seemingly shrunk every week and Choate said teams have put us in a box because of it.

Take the training wheels off. Take some risks. Throw some wrinkles in, let Rovig make some reads and sit back there and assess the field and make a decision. I think guys are afraid to mess up. Just let them play and ball out.
Agreed. Rovig lacks confidence, but it seems to me that it would be hard to regain your confidence if the coaching staff shows no confidence in you through their play calling.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:12 am

catbooster wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:26 am
CelticCat wrote:

Agreed. Rovig lacks confidence, but it seems to me that it would be hard to regain your confidence if the coaching staff shows no confidence in you through their play calling.
I don’t think that’s the case. Rovig started out well last game and I didn’t see anything in the play calling that showed a lack of confidence in him. He didn’t get the catch from Jonsen and seemed to have lost confidence, which is pure speculation on my part, after that.

The coaches also inserted him back into the lineup against Norfolk, which gave him the opportunity to gain confidence.

I’m not sure Rovig has lost confidence or not, but if so it isn’t because of the play calling. No QB should lose confidence due to that. If they do, they shouldn’t be playing that position.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber