On to Southern Utah

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: On to Southern Utah

Post by Catfanatic84 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:02 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:14 pm
HelenaCat95 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:52 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:37 pm
I’m not sure if I’m encouraged by this or not. I knew Choate would be accountable. However, it sounds like they’re sticking with the status quo personnel-wise. That shouldn’t be a problem the next two weeks, but I can’t see it going far over the remainder of the season.
Tom, I'm with you. But is there a personnel change that you would like to see?
Thanks for asking. Yes, there is.

I'd like to see Jonsen take over at QB. We have two QBs that haven't shown much in terms of running or passing or scrambling. He might not be able to pass all that well, but at least Jonsen can run and scramble. He's an extra threat of some sort in the backfield. He can line up in the diamond, run his two plays, take a straight drop and if no one is wide open has the potential to go all Chis Murray and house it from almost anywhere on the field.

I think the players would have more confidence in him.

Rovig and Bauman can't keep defenses honest, so when they're in everyone knows they're either handing it off (not keeping it) or passing, which other defenses love thanks to their 50% completion rate and low average per attempt.

I wouldn't play Ifanse or Andersen until the Davis game in hopes of getting them healthier. Put Jonsen at QB with Andersen, Ifanse and Jones in the backfield. Throw Hosey, Sumner and Perry in there once in a while, too, to give Troy a break.
You make a good point Tom. I've wondered why Jonsen isn't given a shot at QB. He was recruited by P-5 schools including Oregon for the position.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:14 pm

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:02 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
I’m not sure if I’m encouraged by this or not. I knew Choate would be accountable. However, it sounds like they’re sticking with the status quo personnel-wise. That shouldn’t be a problem the next two weeks, but I can’t see it going far over the remainder of the season.

I'd like to see Jonsen take over at QB. We have two QBs that haven't shown much in terms of running or passing or scrambling. He might not be able to pass all that well, but at least Jonsen can run and scramble. He's an extra threat of some sort in the backfield. He can line up in the diamond, run his two plays, take a straight drop and if no one is wide open has the potential to go all Chis Murray and house it from almost anywhere on the field.

Rovig and Bauman can't keep defenses honest, so when they're in everyone knows they're either handing it off (not keeping it) or passing, which other defenses love thanks to their 50% completion rate and low average per attempt.

I wouldn't play Ifanse or Andersen until the Davis game in hopes of getting them healthier. Put Jonsen at QB with Andersen, Ifanse and Jones in the backfield. Throw Hosey, Sumner and Perry in there once in a while, too, to give Troy a break.
You make a good point Tom. I've wondered why Jonsen isn't given a shot at QB. He was recruited by P-5 schools including Oregon for the position.
Because he's not a good passer. I just think it's time to scrap the idea of ever being a threat to move the ball through the air and go all in on the run game. MSU has a physical OL and a bunch of RBs. I think they'd find their mojo if they only throw 3-4 passes per game.

Some of the best football MSU played this year was when it ran about 23 times in a row vs. NAU.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:58 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:14 pm
Catfanatic84 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Because he's not a good passer. I just think it's time to scrap the idea of ever being a threat to move the ball through the air and go all in on the run game. MSU has a physical OL and a bunch of RBs. I think they'd find their mojo if they only throw 3-4 passes per game.

Some of the best football MSU played this year was when it ran about 23 times in a row vs. NAU.
But they don't have a bunch of rbs. If they did we wouldn't be talking so much about the qbs.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:04 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:55 pm
We averaged 40 points/game, 449 yards/game during our 5-game winning streak. We've averaged 16.5 points, 359 yards in the two losses. What's different? Our yardage production is not off that much. Yet our points are down catastrophically. Is it our injury-riddled running back corps? I tried to sift through stats and pick up some kind of trend but I'm just not that smart. Anybody?
In the NAU game, the Cats had a short field a bunch of times. NSU, WIU, and SEMO, we had a bunch of really explosive plays, mostly runs from Jones or Andersen. And remember that against Poly, one of those scores came from the 25 in OT. So we "really" only scored 28 on an apples to apples basis.

Our dynamic playmakers (other than Jonsen) are pretty banged up. Also, Jonsen was averaging something like 7 yards/carry through 6 games, and only about 3.5 in the last 2.

I remember watching during the Poly game, the announcers were saying-oh, I'd just run blitz them every time Jonsen lines up in the backfield. We barely snuck out of there with a win, and Sac and UND are both better than Poly. I think its probably as simple as that.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:11 pm

technoCat wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:58 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

But they don't have a bunch of rbs. If they did we wouldn't be talking so much about the qbs.
Time to get creative, I guess...jet sweep, end around, double reverse...maybe put Kassis in the diamond? Can Beltran move to RB for a couple weeks? Try out some of the true freshmen?

I do tend to agree about Jonsen. He's not a great passer, but the run threat is real. At least he has more options...the problem is that he's been learning WR & Wildcat for 2 years...how much QBing does he remember?
Ugh.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:23 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:55 pm
We averaged 40 points/game, 449 yards/game during our 5-game winning streak. We've averaged 16.5 points, 359 yards in the two losses. What's different? Our yardage production is not off that much. Yet our points are down catastrophically. Is it our injury-riddled running back corps? I tried to sift through stats and pick up some kind of trend but I'm just not that smart. Anybody?
Quality of the opponents defense often shows up inside the 20s and in takeaways, both of which have cost us the past 2 games. 90 yards is almost 2 full drives short, too. I think we're just not that good, and when the team we play is decent to good we need to be near perfect on offense because we have no margin for error. The defense is very good but needs complementary football to get wins.

Steve Steverson
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Steve Steverson » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:01 pm

I also am beginning to think we just are not all that good. We had a soft opening schedule which got us to 5-2. The two away games we won were against a winless team and a Cal Poly team that is average to below average. SEMO might be decent but they play in a poor conference so who knows. The other wins are against poor teams.

Injuries have hurt us no doubt, but overall these struggles are on Choate for not recruiting a better QB and for not finding an experienced O Coordinator after last season. Also letting Gregorak go for Kane is suspect at the moment. I like Choate and think he is doing pretty good but these were mistakes. I think he will right the ship but it may take another few years to get the type of talent together that he has this year. That’s really why this season, currently, is so disappointing. You don’t get many chances, so you better make darn sure you have great coaching surrounding great players otherwise you just waste all the effort. These players have given a lot and they are being let down by C- coaching.

Steve Steverson
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Steve Steverson » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:10 pm

I guess the rant isn’t over. A head coach has a lot of responsibilities and often they are good at some but not all. Usually they are deficient in their knowledge on offense or defense. Ash hid his complete lack of defensive knowledge for quite awhile. I think Choate is getting exposed for having next to zero offensive knowledge. If he recruits well and recruits a good O coordinator that can be ok. Will he? Or will he get stubborn and stick to his guys. He has shown in the past he will let coaches go that aren’t living up to expectations. I will guess right now that Miller won’t be retained but what I don’t know is if he has the ability to figure out who to hire who will be good.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:16 pm

Steve Steverson wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:01 pm
I also am beginning to think we just are not all that good. We had a soft opening schedule which got us to 5-2. The two away games we won were against a winless team and a Cal Poly team that is average to below average. SEMO might be decent but they play in a poor conference so who knows. The other wins are against poor teams.

Injuries have hurt us no doubt, but overall these struggles are on Choate for not recruiting a better QB and for not finding an experienced O Coordinator after last season. Also letting Gregorak go for Kane is suspect at the moment. I like Choate and think he is doing pretty good but these were mistakes. I think he will right the ship but it may take another few years to get the type of talent together that he has this year. That’s really why this season, currently, is so disappointing. You don’t get many chances, so you better make darn sure you have great coaching surrounding great players otherwise you just waste all the effort. These players have given a lot and they are being let down by C- coaching.
You can also lean in the other direction and say that MSU would be 6-2 and would've won bigger in each win had it not shot itself in the foot repeatedly. A 6-2 MSU team that cruised after getting up 28-7 over Poly, that didn't gash itself to fall behind NAU 31-14 in third, that didn't let SEMO back into the game at halftime with a ST error and a PF right at half to give them 10 free points, that didn't get called for holding on two TD returns vs. WIU. MSU's around No. 7 and still in the hunt for a league title by simply not screwing itself repeatedly.

It's a game of inches though and at the end of the day, you are what your record says you are. So MSU is 5-3 and ranked 14/15 in the nation.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:34 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:16 pm
Steve Steverson wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:01 pm

You can also lean in the other direction and say that MSU would be 6-2 and would've won bigger in each win had it not shot itself in the foot repeatedly. A 6-2 MSU team that cruised after getting up 28-7 over Poly, that didn't gash itself to fall behind NAU 31-14 in third, that didn't let SEMO back into the game at halftime with a ST error and a PF right at half to give them 10 free points, that didn't get called for holding on two TD returns vs. WIU. MSU's around No. 7 and still in the hunt for a league title by simply not screwing itself repeatedly.

It's a game of inches though and at the end of the day, you are what your record says you are. So MSU is 5-3 and ranked 14/15 in the nation.
Very true, in all aspects. Why do you think that a team that BN expected to compete for a top 8 seed has been so sloppy? (BTW, the Cats are right about where the media and coaches pre-season polls put them...)

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:43 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Tom, that is an interesting, albeit not novel approach to running an MSU Offense. And because of last year with Troy making miracle plays with his feet it had some success.

But, I would argue that the best way forward is not to go backwards again, because even though it is true we've had success running the ball, it isn't true that we can live and die by the run alone. We are not a Cal Poly or a Kennesaw State who only runs and occasionally throws and has built the entire offensive line, TE's, QB, WR's around blocking to run. We have had the hope, the whisper of a wish to be more balanced with a RPO, (run PASS option), or, a more standard drop back QB run pass O.

Travis Jonsen cannot throw = he's not a QB. It could be argued that he isn't really even a good reliable WR because of his inconsistency catching the ball. When he does, he's great, but if the game is on the line and I'm the OC, I'm NOT putting a passing play in for him but rather Kassis or Steel.

So what is TJ? An H-back,WildCat, wing...RB-ish hybrid, so use him like that. Making him an exclusive Wildcat QB is hopelessly doomed for the long term because he never really does hand off, or pitch. The 1 time he pitched as I recall it was a TD!

I like the Diamond formation too, but with Rovig, who can throw something at times, and use TJ, Hosey, Sumner, and whoever is healthy around the QB and focus heavy on handing off out of that, BUT, also throw in some flat dump passes, screens, shovels, wheels...ALL passes Tucker Rovig has made consistently.

The long side lines can be thrown in at times, but the main way to get our Offense going IMO, is to feature the run, have a threat for the pass, use the field short and medium with our RB's in passing and don't make TR have to over perform with his arm. He can pass, and he can run, but he can most definitely HAND OFF, or pitch to the playmakers.

So, keep the WR's playing downfield, use TR differently with better play calling, use the wildcat less than 10 times a game with TJ or TA, and ride this thing to the end. To go back...is backwards.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:28 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:43 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Tom, that is an interesting, albeit not novel approach to running an MSU Offense. And because of last year with Troy making miracle plays with his feet it had some success.

But, I would argue that the best way forward is not to go backwards again, because even though it is true we've had success running the ball, it isn't true that we can live and die by the run alone. We are not a Cal Poly or a Kennesaw State who only runs and occasionally throws and has built the entire offensive line, TE's, QB, WR's around blocking to run. We have had the hope, the whisper of a wish to be more balanced with a RPO, (run PASS option), or, a more standard drop back QB run pass O.

Travis Jonsen cannot throw = he's not a QB. It could be argued that he isn't really even a good reliable WR because of his inconsistency catching the ball. When he does, he's great, but if the game is on the line and I'm the OC, I'm NOT putting a passing play in for him but rather Kassis or Steel.

So what is TJ? An H-back,WildCat, wing...RB-ish hybrid, so use him like that. Making him an exclusive Wildcat QB is hopelessly doomed for the long term because he never really does hand off, or pitch. The 1 time he pitched as I recall it was a TD!

I like the Diamond formation too, but with Rovig, who can throw something at times, and use TJ, Hosey, Sumner, and whoever is healthy around the QB and focus heavy on handing off out of that, BUT, also throw in some flat dump passes, screens, shovels, wheels...ALL passes Tucker Rovig has made consistently.

The long side lines can be thrown in at times, but the main way to get our Offense going IMO, is to feature the run, have a threat for the pass, use the field short and medium with our RB's in passing and don't make TR have to over perform with his arm. He can pass, and he can run, but he can most definitely HAND OFF, or pitch to the playmakers.

So, keep the WR's playing downfield, use TR differently with better play calling, use the wildcat less than 10 times a game with TJ or TA, and ride this thing to the end. To go back...is backwards.
I have to question Rovig’s confidence. He never seems focused or relaxed. I think he’s too mentally fractured to be successful this season.

toM StUber

nanacat

Post by nanacat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:50 am

"I have to question Rovig’s confidence. He never seems focused or relaxed. I think he’s too mentally fractured to be successful this season."

This! Right here is the issue. I don't think he is confident therefore I don't think his team is confident for him either. The fact is, Jonsen is, maybe even over confident. The team is obviously very confident in Anderson, you can feel it when he's on the field. And yes, they need to support whoever is out there, but if Roving is 2nd guessing himself, which he is, it's obvious, the team will feed off that. Some guys are mentally tough. Some guys just aren't. As hard as it would be to bench him now, as that would destroy his confidence for sure, allowing him to continue to fail isn't helping either. A coach needs to set his players up to succeed, especially his QB. That's just not happening.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:52 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:28 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:43 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
HelenaCat95 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I have to question Rovig’s confidence. He never seems focused or relaxed. I think he’s too mentally fractured to be successful this season.
I just wonder if they would have got rolling if Jonsen had just caught that ball. I don't want to pile on Jonsen because he has been tremendous for us in a lot of aspects but how much does that big play give Rovig confidence early. People can say that the WRs only messed up on one play while Rovig messed up a bunch but I think they are missing that if EVERYONE picks up those plays, all of the sudden everyone starts feeling better as a group and we play pretty well when we actually get and hold onto momentum.

EDIT: Wanted to add this after listening to Colter's podcast. Look at the EWU/UM game. Do we think Barriere or Humphrey is a better qb? Well the supporting cast stepped up for Humphrey and made some great plays and failed to do so for Barriere. Humphrey's numbers look decent but what if Akem doesn't make a couple great catches to help him out?

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:44 am

I personally don't think the issue is Rovig. Yes he needs to play better but Miller isn't doing him any favors, and Choate isn't doing MIller any favors, he pretty much said so himself in the presser. The entire offense is playing not to lose and to me that starts at the top. The playbook has seemingly shrunk every week and Choate said teams have put us in a box because of it.

Take the training wheels off. Take some risks. Throw some wrinkles in, let Rovig make some reads and sit back there and assess the field and make a decision. I think guys are afraid to mess up. Just let them play and ball out.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:16 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:44 am
I personally don't think the issue is Rovig. Yes he needs to play better but Miller isn't doing him any favors, and Choate isn't doing MIller any favors, he pretty much said so himself in the presser. The entire offense is playing not to lose and to me that starts at the top. The playbook has seemingly shrunk every week and Choate said teams have put us in a box because of it.

Take the training wheels off. Take some risks. Throw some wrinkles in, let Rovig make some reads and sit back there and assess the field and make a decision. I think guys are afraid to mess up. Just let them play and ball out.
At a minimum, post of the week =D^

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:02 pm

CelticCat wrote:

Good post. The QB can't progress if he isn't given a chance. He should never be standing out there as a wide receiver. That is a waste.

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:15 pm

Speaking of moving on to SUU, we hope to see a sellout this Saturday and I look forward to seeing everything on this board there as well - even the trolls. CO CATS!!!!

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:13 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:15 pm
Speaking of moving on to SUU, we hope to see a sellout this Saturday and I look forward to seeing everything on this board there as well - even the trolls. CO CATS!!!!
This team needs everyone's support....pack Bobcat stadium and get the"W"

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:26 pm

CelticCat wrote:

If that’s the case, then they need to accept that there’s gonna be a lot of mistakes and just live them and keep throwing.

Problem is that even if he has a good game this week or next it may not mean much considering the opponent.

It’s an even more interesting game (the game within the game) in that regard.

toM StUber