I stayed away yesterday

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

allcat
Golden Bobcat

I stayed away yesterday

Post by allcat » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:57 am

From this board. We held a good team to 1 realistic to, lost because Kassis let the punt roll instead of catching it. I knew the wrist slashers would be on here in force. Realistically, we a a good team, not elite, but I still see us improving. They had 8500fans in a loud building. This board sure has some sorry sisters. Several on this board are the losers, not the team.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

MTCowpoke22
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: I stayed away yesterday

Post by MTCowpoke22 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:43 am

Agreed. For all the whiners that the defense was abysmal, we held UND to 10 points. And while we all agree that the offense leaves something to be desired, they actually outscored the UND offense. The lucky bounce and roll on that punt, leading to the blocked punt in the endzone which won the game for UND. It easily could've gone the other way if UND hadn't have downed that punt inside the 1.

There's the truth, and then there's what's reported in the papers.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:52 am

Its just a message board for fans.... nothing wrong with expressing frustrations (even though it can get a bit overblown at times).

but yeah, I would say that everyones frustrations are pretty justified at this point..... Personally, I am very disappointed with the coaching staff this season. WAY too much talent on this roster to be having a showing like that this last weekend.... which was 99% on the coaches in my opinion.

HUGE lack of fundamentals this season, which is costing us games... and in all honestly SHOULD have cost us a couple other games as well. All coaching.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:26 pm

I didn't watch the game, but why wasn't that punt fair caught? I seem to recall this happening several times this year and it really puts the team in a bad situation. Is it a lack of situational awareness by a 5th year senior, poor coaching, or both? Like i said, I didn't watch it and it could've been uncatchable, but it's impossible to tell with the horrible radio coverage the Cats have.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:44 pm

msuhunter wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:26 pm
I didn't watch the game, but why wasn't that punt fair caught? I seem to recall this happening several times this year and it really puts the team in a bad situation. Is it a lack of situational awareness by a 5th year senior, poor coaching, or both? Like i said, I didn't watch it and it could've been uncatchable, but it's impossible to tell with the horrible radio coverage the Cats have.
Kevin lining up too shallow was the main problem (he was on the 20 I do believe). Anyway, poor awareness from all angles (coaching, player, situation, etc.). Extremely frustrating from a 4th year staff and senior.

However, learn from it and move forward. All you can do.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:05 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:44 pm
msuhunter wrote:
Kevin lining up too shallow was the main problem (he was on the 20 I do believe). Anyway, poor awareness from all angles (coaching, player, situation, etc.). Extremely frustrating from a 4th year staff and senior.

It seems like ever since we lost the fumbled punt back to NAU in the opening drive of the 3rd quarter of that game, we have been gun-shy of fielding the punt even when we call for a fair catch. Even the punts we catch are scary. It may very well be that the coaching staff has told returners not to field punts in certain situations, which of course there are always guidelines. I was always taught you try to field all punts unless standing inside your own 10 yard line.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:06 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:05 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
msuhunter wrote:

It seems like ever since we lost the fumbled punt back to NAU in the opening drive of the 3rd quarter of that game, we have been gun-shy of fielding the punt even when we call for a fair catch. Even the punts we catch are scary. It may very well be that the coaching staff has told returners not to field punts in certain situations, which of course there are always guidelines. I was always taught you try to field all punts unless standing inside your own 10 yard line.
Kevin knew he should have fielded that punt. Made a mistake. I still trust #85 back there without a bit of hesitation.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:28 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:06 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:05 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
msuhunter wrote:

Kevin knew he should have fielded that punt. Made a mistake. I still trust #85 back there without a bit of hesitation.
Agreed. Nobody operates at 100%. Ifanse fumbles. Troy slips and falls. TJ drops passes. Its unreasonable to expect mistake free football game in and out. You just work to fix the problems. There were plenty more mistakes on that same possession.

The difference between good teams and great teams is that great teams recover from the mistakes & productively address them as the season progresses.

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:52 pm

This game reminded me of the 2013 home game with Southern Utah, expected to win but things didn't go our way. I think we missed the playoffs that year.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:03 pm

WeedKillinCat wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:52 pm
This game reminded me of the 2013 home game with Southern Utah, expected to win but things didn't go our way. I think we missed the playoffs that year.
The final year of McGhee/Kirk/Bleskin. That was such a deflating performance by our offense. Southern Utah had a great defense but MSU had 13 yards of offense on six possessions in the first half. Kirk and McGhee were beat up and Ash flat-out refused to play a healthy freshman by the name of Chad Newell until the 4th quarter. And then we came back and damn near won it. MSU ended up out-gaining the Thunderbirds 283-273 by the end. But yeah I agree, a loss where the opportunities were endless against a team we should have beat. Tough one to swallow.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:07 pm

I waited several days after Sac St game and now this game…..

Regarding those who expect Choate to make changes, I suspect he very well may. I’d like to point out that in the middle of last season he changed OC. After last year he changed DC. Now you can debate if they were ‘good’ changes, but they were changes.

Also, I don’t think our defense is ‘elite’ but they did hold UND’s offense to 10 points, and held Sac St to less points than any FCS team they’ve played. I think our defense is good.

I do have concerns though here in year 4;
• I don’t know if it is QB recruitment or QB coaching but one or both have not been even adequate. It’s hard not to say that this falls squarely on Choate’s shoulders. We had a view that QB’s weren’t his strong point when he recruited & praised Bruggman.
• When you look back on the last 2 games, Sac St.....when we went for it on 4th & 1 on our side of the field with a ‘gimmick’ play that didn’t stand a chance of succeeding. Having it 1st and goal at the 4 and not being able to punch it in……as well as other missed red zone opportunities. The UND game….2 point conversion when we’re up by 2…nuff said, not fielding the punt, not protecting the punter so he could punt. Having 2 weeks to prepare and only managing 97 yards passing on 15 attempts. Delay of game penalties. All of these instances seems to me to be a preparation/coaching issue.
• Certainly to some extent these are also player’s issues, but in the end the play calling is ALL on the coaching staff. The execution is both coaching & the players.
• When there are multiple instances where ‘play calling’ is obviously being botched, how many plays are being called where it isn’t obvious to us fans, but it may be obvious to opposing DCs?

Whether we win out or not, still doesn’t change the fact that this team is struggling half way through the 4th season of coach Choate. We are currently 1st in Rushing Offense in the BSC, but we’re 11th out of 13 in both Pass Offense and Pass Offense Efficiency……we’re ahead of CP and essentially tied with WSU.

I don’t know if we have elite athletes, but I do know it sure appears we don’t have elite coaching. GO CATS!
Last edited by The MICKSTER on Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

StatedImprovement
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by StatedImprovement » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:56 pm

Well, at least this years Bobcat team will have the Legacy of Rocketing other Teams into their rightful place in Top 25