Just Play Troy. To HOPEFULLY get into playoffs.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Just Play Troy. To HOPEFULLY get into playoffs.

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:47 pm

They don't need Troy at QB to beat teams like SUU or UNC. Rovig has proven that most of the time he can beat bottom feeder FCS teams.

What remains unclear is whether he can play well enough to be an asset against good, winning teams. So far, that answer has been no.

The Brawl is really the only shot he will have left to prove that he can. That's a big game for him. It's going to have a big effect on how the staff views him moving forward.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:12 pm

Sometimes it's OK to not overthink things and just sit back and enjoy a win.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:47 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:12 pm
Sometimes it's OK to not overthink things and just sit back and enjoy a win.
And all the time it's OK to not pay attention to discussions that you're not interested in.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:00 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:47 pm
They don't need Troy at QB to beat teams like SUU or UNC. Rovig has proven that most of the time he can beat bottom feeder FCS teams.

What remains unclear is whether he can play well enough to be an asset against good, winning teams. So far, that answer has been no.

The Brawl is really the only shot he will have left to prove that he can. That's a big game for him. It's going to have a big effect on how the staff views him moving forward.
They don’t need Rovig to play well to beat anyone. They just need him (and everyone else) to not screw up. If MSU plays a clean game it will win a lot more games this year.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:06 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:00 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:47 pm

They don’t need Rovig to play well to beat anyone. They just need him (and everyone else) to not screw up. If MSU plays a clean game it will win a lot more games this year.
Yeah, I agree with that-- they *can* win games without much positive impact from the QB. But it leaves the margin for error so small against good teams that it's really hard to pick up those victories.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:41 pm

Miller did a great job dialing up plays for Rovig to make some easy throws.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:14 pm

He has a thing about 3rd down. I know the coaches were tempted to put Troy in the game for those 3rd down plays in the second half but decided to let Tucker do it. I can't remember if he ever converted a 3rd and 3 or longer. He had wide open receivers on swing passes and slants but has no touch on short passes.

He freezes up when he sees a wide open receiver less than 10 yards away.

It may have been a big lead, but that second half was the most disjointed I have seen this offense this year. We were beating them like a drum, but couldn't sustain a drive the whole second half. There were several first teamers in the game that 3rd quarter too.

2024 Resume dominance

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:38 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:14 pm
He has a thing about 3rd down. I know the coaches were tempted to put Troy in the game for those 3rd down plays in the second half but decided to let Tucker do it. I can't remember if he ever converted a 3rd and 3 or longer. He had wide open receivers on swing passes and slants but has no touch on short passes.

He freezes up when he sees a wide open receiver less than 10 yards away.

It may have been a big lead, but that second half was the most disjointed I have seen this offense this year. We were beating them like a drum, but couldn't sustain a drive the whole second half. There were several first teamers in the game that 3rd quarter too.
Touch or not there were 4 dropped passes in the 2nd half. That's not on Rovig. And he had several conversions on 3rd and long.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:42 pm

Tucker needs to look at the tape and see he had Kassis open over the middle on a couple plays where he stared down the outside receivers. He missed so swing passes but made some good throws there too so just needs to work on being consistent. He took a step today but needs to build on it every game from here on out for us to be where this team is capable of going.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:49 pm

technoCat wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:42 pm
Tucker needs to look at the tape and see he had Kassis open over the middle on a couple plays where he stared down the outside receivers. He missed so swing passes but made some good throws there too so just needs to work on being consistent. He took a step today but needs to build on it every game from here on out for us to be where this team is capable of going.
Totally agree with this. At times I was super impressed- converted third and longs, hitting passes, looking good. Then you would see guys WIDE open over the middle and he didn't even look their way. So yes, progress, but when he sees the tape he'll get better. Good game.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:14 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:49 pm
technoCat wrote:
Totally agree with this. At times I was super impressed- converted third and longs, hitting passes, looking good. Then you would see guys WIDE open over the middle and he didn't even look their way. So yes, progress, but when he sees the tape he'll get better. Good game.
Bauman did the same thing so maybe it's something MM can go over with them.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:48 pm

technoCat wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:14 pm
Common Cat wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:49 pm
technoCat wrote:
Bauman did the same thing so maybe it's something MM can go over with them.
Yep, and who knows, maybe the open receivers are his 3rd or 4th reads. There is so much more that goes on with the passing game than we know. I don't know a lot about the nuances of the passing game but I do know for a fact the QBs are trained to go through their progressions every time, and that can change based on the last minute formations of the defense. It's not like thse guys can watch four receivers at the same time and make decisions like... hmmm, well that TE is kinda open but this slot receiver might be more open... and that WR is way not open because he's double covered, maybe I should throw to the TE, wait, looks like there is another WR getting open way down the field... :lol: Sure, it actually does play out that way sometimes when the pocket breaks down and he's on the move but that doesn't happen on every play.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!