Choate’s worst loss in his 3.5 seasons

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Choate’s worst loss in his 3.5 seasons

Post by 84CatGrad » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:15 pm

I am a coach supporter. I always believe there are reasons for what a coach does that is based on inside knowledge they gain from meetings, practices, etc. But after today's game I'm done. I think the Big Sky is laughing at us. We have arguably the most explosive offensive player in the league and he's playing linebacker. After TA busted the big run I though he was a lock to be in the backfield the rest of the game. Yet when we need him most he's standing on the sideline and our offense flounders. It's very simple. Put Troy Anderson in the backfield.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:16 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:11 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:05 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:01 pm
And to top it off Choate was caught on camera chewing out Bauman. He should’ve been chewing himself out.
That play design is for the QB to make a read. If the numbers aren't there, you motion everyone back. I believe Choate was asking Casey why he didn't do just that.

However, if that play was designed to be a direct snap run to Bauman....yikes.
But that's not the time to get gimmicky. You just seized momentum with the TD. Kick the XP and put it on your D, which had been playing well in the 2nd half. There was no need to even have Bauman in there. That was on Choate and he f'ed it up. If anything, if you're gonna go for 2, you put Troy in there and ram it down their throat.
I'm sorry, but if the QB position is having problems all year because of maturity, leadership, decision making, why on earth would you trot Bauman out there to make that decision or make that play. It just boggles the mind no matter how you want to look at it.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:17 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:16 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
And to top it off Choate was caught on camera chewing out Bauman. He should’ve been chewing himself out.
That play design is for the QB to make a read. If the numbers aren't there, you motion everyone back. I believe Choate was asking Casey why he didn't do just that.

But that's not the time to get gimmicky. You just seized momentum with the TD. Kick the XP and put it on your D, which had been playing well in the 2nd half. There was no need to even have Bauman in there. That was on Choate and he f'ed it up. If anything, if you're gonna go for 2, you put Troy in there and ram it down their throat.
I'm sorry, but if the QB position is having problems all year because of maturity, leadership, decision making, why on earth would you trot Bauman out there to make that decision or make that play. It just boggles the mind no matter how you want to look at it.
Ding, ding, ding, ding!!! We have a winner!!

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:20 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Totally agree. Going up by three there would've been just fine by me.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:43 pm

A similarly cutesie formation led to a blown 4th and 1 attempt on our own side of the field against Sac. That stuff all needs to go. It seems that the only guys fooled by those formations play for Montana State.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:54 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:43 pm
A similarly cutesie formation led to a blown 4th and 1 attempt on our own side of the field against Sac. That stuff all needs to go. It seems that the only guys fooled by those formations play for Montana State.
This is what made the XP today even more flabbergasting.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:59 pm

When they line up in the swinging gate the QB is supposed to look at the defense and look for a go/no go. Either he didn't see a sign, somebody made the wrong decision on the sideline, or Bauman did it himself. The last QB to go against the coaching staff was Murray when he got the 1st down against the Griz on 4th down two years ago.

2024 Resume dominance

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:03 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:59 pm
When they line up in the swinging gate the QB is supposed to look at the defense and look for a go/no go. Either he didn't see a sign, somebody made the wrong decision on the sideline, or Bauman did it himself. The last QB to go against the coaching staff was Murray when he got the 1st down against the Griz on 4th down two years ago.
This is what I was attempting to say earlier. Casey should have known to call it off because he didn't have numbers in his favor. Perplexing on all accounts.

Even more perplexing was Choate refusing to use timeouts when we were about to get delay of games. Killed our down and distance on final drive and made a long field goal even longer on the other. Just unacceptable stuff happened today. Zero rythym on offense, no identity, no major changes, and the only player who stepped up other than Troy was Mark Estes.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:02 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:15 pm
I am a coach supporter. I always believe there are reasons for what a coach does that is based on inside knowledge they gain from meetings, practices, etc. But after today's game I'm done. I think the Big Sky is laughing at us. We have arguably the most explosive offensive player in the league and he's playing linebacker. After TA busted the big run I though he was a lock to be in the backfield the rest of the game. Yet when we need him most he's standing on the sideline and our offense flounders. It's very simple. Put Troy Anderson in the backfield.
What about the 2 straight runs for 2 total yards backed up to our own end zone? That was him right?

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:06 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:03 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
This is what I was attempting to say earlier. Casey should have known to call it off because he didn't have numbers in his favor. Perplexing on all accounts.

Even more perplexing was Choate refusing to use timeouts when we were about to get delay of games. Killed our down and distance on final drive and made a long field goal even longer on the other. Just unacceptable stuff happened today. Zero rythym on offense, no identity, no major changes, and the only player who stepped up other than Troy was Mark Estes.
There are not a lot of positives to take from today, but I’d add Hosey to that short list. I thought he looked pretty good on some of those runs today. He’s going to be a good one for the Cats over the next few years.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:55 pm

I'm not going to lay the blame of that f'ed swinging gate on a redshirt freshman QB. That is 100% coaching. Stupid to begin with in that situation and if you are going to run it, coaches better damn we'll be sure it is a play that CAN be executed.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:00 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
We should never have lined up in it to begin with. When your up two you just kick the f’n ball so a field goal can’t beat you. ](*,)

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:07 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:02 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
What about the 2 straight runs for 2 total yards backed up to our own end zone? That was him right?
You have a better option?

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:10 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:07 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:02 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
You have a better option?
Don’t you know? If he doesn’t save us from every situation then he’s garbage.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:11 pm

I just think that our staff is way to young and inexperienced to be a top 10 and BSC Championship caliber team. What sucks, is that we are now falling behind the other schools in our conference that have brought in new coaches and are having success. The worst part, I really felt that we would be winning a conference championship before UM would.....well, I don’t think that anymore.

Punters are people too!!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:24 am

I couldn't watch the game last night due to a power outage, but from what I've read it is good I didn't. I felt strongly that Coaching mistakes during Sac State were the single biggest factor in our loss.

From what I have heard on here from more than the usual knee jerk responders, is that the Coaching mistakes, and Coach Choate is first in line to get this, is likely our greatest team weakness.

Maybe this week the only thing that got exposed...really exposed is our lack of experience/stubborness/over thinking it, from Coach Choate to Miller to Armstrong...etc.!

This week is Call out the Coaching week!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:56 am

utucats wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:00 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
We should never have lined up in it to begin with. When your up two you just kick the f’n ball so a field goal can’t beat you. ](*,)
Exactly. All the discussion about the play call and/or execution is really a moot point in my opinion. The decision to go for 2 at all was the real WTF? part of that situation.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:21 am

I'm also reminded of how for the last 3 years, everyone kept saying that we were a couple years away, and then a year away. That Choate was amassing a stockpile of young, very talented players, and we were well on our way to being a legit NC contender when those players were juniors and seniors. Well that time has come, but we're obviously not even a BSC title contender, let alone a NC contender. It seems like even the most hopelessly optimistic fans on this board, haven't been able to put a positive spin on things after this loss.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:33 am

utucats wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:00 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
I gotta agree with you!

2024 Resume dominance

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:46 am

I don't have any inside information or anything but I think that Choate knew the younger kids would be on a steep learning curve, but he may have weighed that against hiring a new OC every year. He tried the well-known and he was almost run out of town. He tried the good old boy from the neighborhood and he seemed to get nothing done with the kids we had. I sincerely believe Choate saw the attitude of the team starting to teeter when he made the change to Miller. He did save the rest of the season. The only thing Miller hasn't done is make adjustments after opposing coaches start adjusting to him! It's easy to come in new with no film on you, but you earn your stripes when you know what adjustments to make....or if what you need is a X's and O's adjustment, more practice, or different personnel.

2024 Resume dominance