Time for a change

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Time for a change

Post by seataccat » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:11 am

John K wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:41 am
seataccat wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:22 pm
UpperBlue wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:08 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:35 pm
put yourselves in Bauman’s shoes. He goes 2-1, and then gets pulled so Rovig can have a good day against a terrible team and then start from here out? Fuvking stupid and stubborn on Choates part.
Why would Bauman stay with the program after this? And if you're a good QB with options why would you come to Bozeman after watching this kind of BS the head coach did to his starter? Choate is certainly not doing recruiting any favors with this.
Bauman isn't going anywhere except maybe the frontier conference. Choate has given far too much rope to both Bauman and Rovig to the point of being stubborn. If he keeps trotting either one of them out there just expect more of the same. I don't know what the answer is except run with Travis Johnsen under center and quit shooting yourself in the foot with Rovig. It doesn't sound like Beltran or the Thelen kid are ready at all.
I don't blame the coaches for recruiting Bauman, Rovig or Bruggman. On paper they all looked good, they are all capable athletes but few can operate under the pressure of DI defenses and that is something that can only be evaluated when live bullets are flying. Most teams recruit three or more guys before one works out as a starter at this level. I do hold the coaches responsible for how they handled Chris Murray. He was so young and needed a little more mentoring. I know many people disagree with that. Legit, capable, duel threat D1 QB's like that cannot be replaced in every recruiting class. If Chris were still here we wouldn't have this gaping hole in our offense and we wouldn't have to abuse Troy Andersen.
Next year they will need a proven transfer or two.
I agree with most of this, but you're making it sound like Murray was the 2nd coming of Tom Brady as a passer. He was obviously a great athlete/runner, but he struggled mightily throwing the ball during most of the 1.5 years that he was our starting QB. He wasn't any better of a passer than Bruggman, Andersen, Bauman, or Rovig.
Addmitedly Chris struggled throwing the ball but it was not because of panic under pressure. He was extremely capable. Please go back and watch his throwing ability in the SDSU game. He ran the ball as well as TA and threw better than TR.
Of course it's water under the bridge and every team has lost talented players. My only point is that I think the kid just needed a bit more hand holding and it's a real shame he's gone.
I like Choate and what he's doing. And I may be wrong about the particulars of CM but I think a huge part of the coaches job is mentoring.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:37 am

Boy, I sure hope Choate isn't hired away to a P5 program... :-k #-o

Hating the griz since 02.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:55 am

John K wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:41 am
seataccat wrote:
UpperBlue wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
put yourselves in Bauman’s shoes. He goes 2-1, and then gets pulled so Rovig can have a good day against a terrible team and then start from here out? Fuvking stupid and stubborn on Choates part.
Why would Bauman stay with the program after this? And if you're a good QB with options why would you come to Bozeman after watching this kind of BS the head coach did to his starter? Choate is certainly not doing recruiting any favors with this.
Bauman isn't going anywhere except maybe the frontier conference. Choate has given far too much rope to both Bauman and Rovig to the point of being stubborn. If he keeps trotting either one of them out there just expect more of the same. I don't know what the answer is except run with Travis Johnsen under center and quit shooting yourself in the foot with Rovig. It doesn't sound like Beltran or the Thelen kid are ready at all.
I don't blame the coaches for recruiting Bauman, Rovig or Bruggman. On paper they all looked good, they are all capable athletes but few can operate under the pressure of DI defenses and that is something that can only be evaluated when live bullets are flying. Most teams recruit three or more guys before one works out as a starter at this level. I do hold the coaches responsible for how they handled Chris Murray. He was so young and needed a little more mentoring. I know many people disagree with that. Legit, capable, duel threat D1 QB's like that cannot be replaced in every recruiting class. If Chris were still here we wouldn't have this gaping hole in our offense and we wouldn't have to abuse Troy Andersen.
I agree with most of this, but you're making it sound like Murray was the 2nd coming of Tom Brady as a passer. He was obviously a great athlete/runner, but he struggled mightily throwing the ball during most of the 1.5 years that he was our starting QB. He wasn't any better of a passer than Bruggman, Andersen, Bauman, or Rovig.
But when the dual-threat QB doesn't require 2 people to execute. And yes, he was a better passer than troy. Probably than rovig too in game conditions. Not great, but fixable by decent coaching maybe, over time. Tell you what, he'd be starting with zero questions asked if he was still here. An indictment of both him and this staff that he's not.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:42 am

arvcat2 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:46 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:53 am
BozoneCat wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:07 pm
utucats wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:51 pm
I’m not off the Choate bandwagon yet but I’m wavering. For the first time, I feel like we are trending the wrong direction and no matter how much I’ve backed a coach I won’t follow them into accepting failure.

Choate says all the right things but we need actions and not just words.

Time for Choate to buckle down and do some self evaluation. What we are doing isn’t working so we need to mix it up.

In fairness, it’s not like UND sucks but scoring only one offensive TD sure does.
This is about where I’m at. I’ve been a huge fan of a Choate, and still support him, but clearly there are some pretty big problems and something needs to change. I still think he’s going to figure it out, but not sure if it will be in time to save this season.
Yes, me too! Less talk, stop with the #WinBig crap, and show up and play the game Coach. I’m in the camp of “short leash” and if we don’t make the playoffs this season after the start we had, then the time for change has sadly come.
Agreed. For the first time, reasonable doubt about Choate has set in with me. Although it's only one play, but the failed two point conversion in the 4th quarter is my tipping point. Kick the extra point and let the chips fall where they may with a 3 point lead. But if your're going for 2 points, roll the dice with Andersen (or Jonsen) but don't try a gimmick play. I don't care if a player(s) maybe missed an assignment, that play call was set-up for failure and that is 100% on the head coach.
The call for the 2-point conversion was bad, really bad... but defending that call after the game may be the tipping point for me. It’s inexcusable. Bad call made in the heat of the moment, possibly lost is the game, well okay, sh*t happens. But to double down and say in the presser that was the right decision, I mean you could get fired just for that comment alone. It’s stubborn, it’s not taking the blame, and it’s just 100% wrong. I can’t believe he said that.

GO CATS GO!!!

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:47 am

BozoneCat wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:42 am
arvcat2 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
utucats wrote:
I’m not off the Choate bandwagon yet but I’m wavering. For the first time, I feel like we are trending the wrong direction and no matter how much I’ve backed a coach I won’t follow them into accepting failure.

Time for Choate to buckle down and do some self evaluation. What we are doing isn’t working so we need to mix it up.

In fairness, it’s not like UND sucks but scoring only one offensive TD sure does.
This is about where I’m at. I’ve been a huge fan of a Choate, and still support him, but clearly there are some pretty big problems and something needs to change. I still think he’s going to figure it out, but not sure if it will be in time to save this season.
Yes, me too! Less talk, stop with the #WinBig crap, and show up and play the game Coach. I’m in the camp of “short leash” and if we don’t make the playoffs this season after the start we had, then the time for change has sadly come.
Agreed. For the first time, reasonable doubt about Choate has set in with me. Although it's only one play, but the failed two point conversion in the 4th quarter is my tipping point. Kick the extra point and let the chips fall where they may with a 3 point lead. But if your're going for 2 points, roll the dice with Andersen (or Jonsen) but don't try a gimmick play. I don't care if a player(s) maybe missed an assignment, that play call was set-up for failure and that is 100% on the head coach.
The call for the 2-point conversion was bad, really bad... but defending that call after the game may be the tipping point for me. It’s inexcusable. Bad call made in the heat of the moment, possibly lost is the game, well okay, sh*t happens. But to double down and say in the presser that was the right decision, I mean you could get fired just for that comment alone. It’s stubborn, it’s not taking the blame, and it’s just 100% wrong. I can’t believe he said that.
Ditto ](*,)

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:49 am

BozoneCat wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
utucats wrote:

I thought he was playing for the win away from home. I would have also gone for it.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:14 am

You can’t be serious?! If you’re going to go for the win, then put your best players on the field, not a gimmick formation with your back up QB who hadn’t stepped onto the field all day to make a decision like he had to...that call was very Ash like and just like when Ash would call for this play, it did back then and it still now drives me nuts when I see that formation, it very rarely ever works. If you want to go for the win you put the ball in either TA or Jonsen’s hands and let your best athletes try and win you the game.

seataccat

Post by seataccat » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:17 am

allcat wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:49 am
BozoneCat wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
utucats wrote:

I thought he was playing for the win away from home. I would have also gone for it.
I hate piling on about this. It probably was a bad decision in hindsight but statistically it is almost always good to go for two. Our offense was having problems getting anywhere and the coach probably just wanted to maximize the points from the opportunities we were going to get. However if you decide to do it don't trot Bauman out there to execute it. You need to put the ball in TA' or TJ's hands to get it done.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:58 am

seataccat wrote:
UpperBlue wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Yes you are right on Bauman and Rovig. However,Beltran is way ahead of both Bauman and Rovig fundamentally and in knowing how to play QB. I know that for a fact. Why he has never been given a real chance, I do not know. Bob Cole knew what Bauman and Rovig could do before he went after Beltran. He was very high on Beltran. The competition since he has been here has been strictly between Bauman and Rovig. Beltran's name is never even mentioned. Maybe it is because Bauman looks like an all-pro in fall camp practice wearing the red shirt. But as soon as bullets start flying his lack of funadamentals becomes evident. Rovig has been given every opportunity and just can't seem to be confident enough to be successfu.l Just my take.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:10 am

bobcatbob wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:58 am
seataccat wrote:
UpperBlue wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Yes you are right on Bauman and Rovig. However,Beltran is way ahead of both Bauman and Rovig fundamentally and in knowing how to play QB. I know that for a fact. Why he has never been given a real chance, I do not know. Bob Cole knew what Bauman and Rovig could do before he went after Beltran. He was very high on Beltran. The competition since he has been here has been strictly between Bauman and Rovig. Beltran's name is never even mentioned. Maybe it is because Bauman looks like an all-pro in fall camp practice wearing the red shirt. But as soon as bullets start flying his lack of funadamentals becomes evident. Rovig has been given every opportunity and just can't seem to be confident enough to be successfu.l Just my take.
How do you know that for a fact?
The tape that I've watched of him didn't really impress me at all. Can you elaborate?

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:33 am

seataccat wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:17 am
allcat wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:49 am
BozoneCat wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
utucats wrote:

I hate piling on about this. It probably was a bad decision in hindsight but statistically it is almost always good to go for two. Our offense was having problems getting anywhere and the coach probably just wanted to maximize the points from the opportunities we were going to get. However if you decide to do it don't trot Bauman out there to execute it. You need to put the ball in TA' or TJ's hands to get it done.
If it was the very end of the game and we were down by 1 and decided to go for 2 to win, I wouldn't have a problem with that. I still wouldn't defend the ridiculous formation/play call, but I wouldn't hate going for the win on the road in that situation. Unfortunately, this was an entirely different situation. There isn't another coach in America that would have gone for 2 there. And I agree with other posters, IF you make the stupid decision to go for 2, stick with your bread and butter, put either Troy or Jonsen back there and let them do what they do.

GO CATS GO!!!

IA_CAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by IA_CAT » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:36 am

Doug Hammell
BQC Marketing Committee
BQC Website: https://www.msubqc.org/

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:46 am

CatBlitz wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:10 am
bobcatbob wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:58 am
seataccat wrote:
UpperBlue wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
How do you know that for a fact?
The tape that I've watched of him didn't really impress me at all. Can you elaborate?

I know what he accomplished in high school and the very high level of competition he has played against. I know he has been mentored by a private QB coach in Scottsdale since he was 12 yo. Also, I have watched him in Fall Camp practice just about every day since he has been here. Also, I am not saying he should be the starter. But, at least give him a chance to show what he can do. He has been given zero opportunity thus far.

BobcatOninetails
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatOninetails » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:34 am

BozoneCat wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
utucats wrote:

We lose by four if we kick the extra point. UND would have kicked instead of going for two and won 17-13. The 2 point call was a bad call I agree but let's all stop acting like it cost us the game. It did not. A non fair catch and blocked punt is where this game was lost. A delay penalty cost us a field goal and our vaunted Oline didn't play well. But to say it was lost on the 2 point conversion is just wrong.

"Success is simple. Do what's right, the right way, at the right time." - Arnold H. Glasgow

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:49 am

Of course that one play didn’t lose the game, but you can’t tell me when up 12-10, it was the right time to call that formation and do something like that. It’s just another play in just the last two weeks alone that you just have to ask the coaches what are they thinking. Like going for it on 4th down on our end early in the game against sac st, or that formation/call on the goal line against sac st, not calling timeouts twice in this game to avoid delay of games, etc. To not take ownership of it and to put the blame on the player is absolutely just wrong. We are in year 4, with the players that he brought in now junior seniors and we are on the verge to be taking a step back from what we accomplished last year and we even had an easier schedule this year.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:10 pm

jgrilley406 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:49 am
Of course that one play didn’t lose the game, but you can’t tell me when up 12-10, it was the right time to call that formation and do something like that. It’s just another play in just the last two weeks alone that you just have to ask the coaches what are they thinking. Like going for it on 4th down on our end early in the game against sac st, or that formation/call on the goal line against sac st, not calling timeouts twice in this game to avoid delay of games, etc. To not take ownership of it and to put the blame on the player is absolutely just wrong. We are in year 4, with the players that he brought in now junior seniors and we are on the verge to be taking a step back from what we accomplished last year and we even had an easier schedule this year.
There are a ton of things that could have been done differently...Heck, even if Padmos would have taken a knee or stepped out of the back of the end zone instead of kicking into the unblocked pass rusher, we still would have gone to OT.

Lots of mistakes, lots of sloppy things to clean up.

And yes, I think we have taken a step backwards.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:20 pm

BobcatOninetails wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:34 am
BozoneCat wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
utucats wrote:

We lose by four if we kick the extra point. UND would have kicked instead of going for two and won 17-13. The 2 point call was a bad call I agree but let's all stop acting like it cost us the game. It did not. A non fair catch and blocked punt is where this game was lost. A delay penalty cost us a field goal and our vaunted Oline didn't play well. But to say it was lost on the 2 point conversion is just wrong.
In a vacuum, yes. In reality, no. First, going for 2 with a ridiculous formation drained the momentum we had just built. Second, assuming everything else played out the same, we could have purposely taken a safety rather than try to punt out of the endzone, which would have left us ahead 13-12. Still would have had to stop them on defense, but the way that game was going, I like those odds better than us having to drive 75 yards for the win.

GO CATS GO!!!

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:21 pm

jgrilley406 wrote:
Choate has no real vision for the offense and stated it in his press conference a couple weeks ago when asked by the media. He said his only vision for the offense was to win games. That’s an alarming statement from a Division 1 head football coach. You have to have a better plan than just run the ball, take a couple deep shots
and play tough defense to win games against quality FCS opponents. This offense is more of an idea than a system or scheme with layers and it has only really been productive when we had an all American type generational athlete with an unstoppable will to succeed at the helm. There are no excuses here for what we are seeing unfold in year 4. There is a fundamental failure to implement a sustainable system and recruit and develop QB position to execute it. The issues on offense are more to do with the big picture than what we are seeing on game day.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:17 pm

1984champ wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:21 pm
jgrilley406 wrote:
Choate has no real vision for the offense and stated it in his press conference a couple weeks ago when asked by the media. He said his only vision for the offense was to win games. That’s an alarming statement from a Division 1 head football coach. You have to have a better plan than just run the ball, take a couple deep shots
and play tough defense to win games against quality FCS opponents. This offense is more of an idea than a system or scheme with layers and it has only really been productive when we had an all American type generational athlete with an unstoppable will to succeed at the helm. There are no excuses here for what we are seeing unfold in year 4. There is a fundamental failure to implement a sustainable system and recruit and develop QB position to execute it. The issues on offense are more to do with the big picture than what we are seeing on game day.
[/quote

I agree with you. You nailed it. It appears that both Rovig and Bauman are pure drop back QBs in an offense that is much more effective with a QB that is mobile and can run as well as pass.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:30 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:17 pm
1984champ wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:21 pm
jgrilley406 wrote:
[/quote

I agree with you. You nailed it. It appears that both Rovig and Bauman are pure drop back QBs in an offense that is much more effective with a QB that is mobile and can run as well as pass.
I remember late in the year last season when Choate said "running the QB is sort of in our DNA". I almost lost my cookies over that. Not because a running QB is bad. Lots of teams have run first QBs are are quite successful.

It blew me up because its the exact opposite of what he has recruited in Rovig/Bauman, O-Line, RB...and probably TE/WR. I love the dudes that Choate has recruited...but they don't seem to fit any bigger strategic pattern. Its almost like the staff has said: Lets recruit a bunch of high character, highly athletic, high achieving guys and throw them into a blender and build the offense on what comes out.

I remember McGhee making a remark to the effect of "Cramsey's offense is about the worst possible fit for me". Our offense looks like we've got square pegs, round pegs, triangular pegs, pretty much every peg imaginable, and now we are trying to drill holes for the pegs to fit into.