Time for a change

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BobcatOninetails
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Time for a change

Post by BobcatOninetails » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:36 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:20 pm
BobcatOninetails wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:34 am
BozoneCat wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:42 am
arvcat2 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:46 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:53 am
BozoneCat wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:07 pm
utucats wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:51 pm
I’m not off the Choate bandwagon yet but I’m wavering. For the first time, I feel like we are trending the wrong direction and no matter how much I’ve backed a coach I won’t follow them into accepting failure.

Choate says all the right things but we need actions and not just words.

Time for Choate to buckle down and do some self evaluation. What we are doing isn’t working so we need to mix it up.

In fairness, it’s not like UND sucks but scoring only one offensive TD sure does.
This is about where I’m at. I’ve been a huge fan of a Choate, and still support him, but clearly there are some pretty big problems and something needs to change. I still think he’s going to figure it out, but not sure if it will be in time to save this season.
Yes, me too! Less talk, stop with the #WinBig crap, and show up and play the game Coach. I’m in the camp of “short leash” and if we don’t make the playoffs this season after the start we had, then the time for change has sadly come.
Agreed. For the first time, reasonable doubt about Choate has set in with me. Although it's only one play, but the failed two point conversion in the 4th quarter is my tipping point. Kick the extra point and let the chips fall where they may with a 3 point lead. But if your're going for 2 points, roll the dice with Andersen (or Jonsen) but don't try a gimmick play. I don't care if a player(s) maybe missed an assignment, that play call was set-up for failure and that is 100% on the head coach.
The call for the 2-point conversion was bad, really bad... but defending that call after the game may be the tipping point for me. It’s inexcusable. Bad call made in the heat of the moment, possibly lost is the game, well okay, sh*t happens. But to double down and say in the presser that was the right decision, I mean you could get fired just for that comment alone. It’s stubborn, it’s not taking the blame, and it’s just 100% wrong. I can’t believe he said that.
We lose by four if we kick the extra point. UND would have kicked instead of going for two and won 17-13. The 2 point call was a bad call I agree but let's all stop acting like it cost us the game. It did not. A non fair catch and blocked punt is where this game was lost. A delay penalty cost us a field goal and our vaunted Oline didn't play well. But to say it was lost on the 2 point conversion is just wrong.
In a vacuum, yes. In reality, no. First, going for 2 with a ridiculous formation drained the momentum we had just built. Second, assuming everything else played out the same, we could have purposely taken a safety rather than try to punt out of the endzone, which would have left us ahead 13-12. Still would have had to stop them on defense, but the way that game was going, I like those odds better than us having to drive 75 yards for the win.
All of these threads pre-suppose a vacuum. If they did not I could argue back hypothetical nonsense just like you. The 2 point conversion was a horrible call. It did not cost us the game.

"Success is simple. Do what's right, the right way, at the right time." - Arnold H. Glasgow

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:47 pm

I like the idea of run first, and I realize that it is now becoming a necessity. It’s discouraging when we cannot make use of backs or tight ends as additional passing targets. But I am really wondering why the run plays have such limited diversity. Several here have mentioned the diamond, which had been pretty productive. (And it seems like power sweeps are going the way of the dodo here — please gently tell me if I am wrong). We have a big line that can get out and run a bit — how can that be utilized? I’m also feeling really worn out with a running game that seems to never start under center unless it’s a sneak which is not very sneaky if it is telegraphed. How about if you are really trying to move the ball with authority you put the QB under center and utilize RJ, etc. with an I-formation tailback. (Okay, so I grew up in the era of Don Hass and Paul Schafer, etc.). And I don’t know much about football, other than a lot of years of observation at Gatton Field and Bobcat Stadium, but I think the run game itself could be more diverse beyond keeper by 10, keeper by 15, and hand off between the tackles to any number of capable backs. Or maybe I just had to watch the stream from SWX way too late last night!
Last edited by Bobcat4Ever on Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:47 pm

BobcatOninetails wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:36 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:20 pm
BobcatOninetails wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:34 am
BozoneCat wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:42 am
arvcat2 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:46 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:53 am
BozoneCat wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:07 pm
utucats wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:51 pm
I’m not off the Choate bandwagon yet but I’m wavering. For the first time, I feel like we are trending the wrong direction and no matter how much I’ve backed a coach I won’t follow them into accepting failure.

Choate says all the right things but we need actions and not just words.

Time for Choate to buckle down and do some self evaluation. What we are doing isn’t working so we need to mix it up.

In fairness, it’s not like UND sucks but scoring only one offensive TD sure does.
This is about where I’m at. I’ve been a huge fan of a Choate, and still support him, but clearly there are some pretty big problems and something needs to change. I still think he’s going to figure it out, but not sure if it will be in time to save this season.
Yes, me too! Less talk, stop with the #WinBig crap, and show up and play the game Coach. I’m in the camp of “short leash” and if we don’t make the playoffs this season after the start we had, then the time for change has sadly come.
Agreed. For the first time, reasonable doubt about Choate has set in with me. Although it's only one play, but the failed two point conversion in the 4th quarter is my tipping point. Kick the extra point and let the chips fall where they may with a 3 point lead. But if your're going for 2 points, roll the dice with Andersen (or Jonsen) but don't try a gimmick play. I don't care if a player(s) maybe missed an assignment, that play call was set-up for failure and that is 100% on the head coach.
The call for the 2-point conversion was bad, really bad... but defending that call after the game may be the tipping point for me. It’s inexcusable. Bad call made in the heat of the moment, possibly lost is the game, well okay, sh*t happens. But to double down and say in the presser that was the right decision, I mean you could get fired just for that comment alone. It’s stubborn, it’s not taking the blame, and it’s just 100% wrong. I can’t believe he said that.
We lose by four if we kick the extra point. UND would have kicked instead of going for two and won 17-13. The 2 point call was a bad call I agree but let's all stop acting like it cost us the game. It did not. A non fair catch and blocked punt is where this game was lost. A delay penalty cost us a field goal and our vaunted Oline didn't play well. But to say it was lost on the 2 point conversion is just wrong.
In a vacuum, yes. In reality, no. First, going for 2 with a ridiculous formation drained the momentum we had just built. Second, assuming everything else played out the same, we could have purposely taken a safety rather than try to punt out of the endzone, which would have left us ahead 13-12. Still would have had to stop them on defense, but the way that game was going, I like those odds better than us having to drive 75 yards for the win.
All of these threads pre-suppose a vacuum. If they did not I could argue back hypothetical nonsense just like you. The 2 point conversion was a horrible call. It did not cost us the game.
One play never costs a team the game. But this one didn’t put us in the best position to win.

GO CATS GO!!!

KIX
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by KIX » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:10 pm

Bobcatstan wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:54 pm
I'm expecting a 2-3 finish counting today's game. Awful in all 3 phases of game. All the people that preach patience with rovig can kiss my arse. He's awful
Amen, brother. Rovig needs to find a nice bench seat on the sunny side. Our D got gashed time and time again, as well. Not a good football squad...

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:42 pm

85CatGrad wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:41 pm
imacat wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:11 pm
1984champ wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:05 pm
Rovig wasn’t good but coaching was worse. The common denominator is the coaches and the offensive philosophy. Insert ________ at QB and we probably get a similar result. We will see what Choate does but we are the same type of situation as Ash/Marshal with Choate/Miller. Choate needs to focus on the D and ST and let an experienced OC run his own offense.
Totally agree. Choate needs to realize he needs help on offense and stop moving yes men into the OC slot.
I somewhat agree. I think we have a good defense, so some tweeks here and there is all we need. However the offense needs an OC that has alot more experience at this level. I do like Coach Choate and what he is doing for the program, but part of being a good coach is realizing when you need help. He needs to put everything he has into getting a top QB and a OC with the experience we so desperately need. Matt is a great guy, but he needs a mentor to help him grow.
Also need a QB coach!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz