The Official-unofficial Cat -und gameday thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: The Official-unofficial Cat -und gameday thread

Post by Cataholic » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:30 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:24 pm
I think Rovig has improved every week. He still hasn't learned to throw the ball away when he's about to get sacked and we can't rely on him when we need a score (whether we're 5 yards or 65 yards out) but he's getting better. At the current rate I think he'll be above average by next year. Slow progress is still progress.

The play calling has been confusing. Rovig either throws passes under 5 yards or he throws bombs. He doesn't have the accuracy (or WRs who can catch) for the long passes. I don't know why we can't come up with some 10-15 yard passes. The coaches seem to go back and forth between forcing the issue by calling long passes and completely giving up on him by throwing Troy/Jonsen out there to take the snap.

If confidence and leadership is why he lost the job each of the last two summers I don't understand how the coaches think they are doing him any favors with the way they call the games. :-k
Your point is definitely warranted, but I also feel like Rovig does not take control of the team. Maybe it is just me, but he never seems in charge. Guys don’t appear to play for him or rally around him. I think coaches are looking for some leadership as well when they plug in Kassis, Jonsen or Anderson.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:31 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:53 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:50 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:47 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:43 pm
Whelp... I guess all the people saying that they just need to let Rovig take the ball got what they wanted. Oof.
Not saying he had a good game but we have 20 points if Jonsen learns how to catch a football.
I realize he dropped the long bomb, and that stinks. But Rovig's play was the #1 reason why the Cats lost today. I'm sure some posters will spin it. They always do. But there's no hiding from it this week. They gave him the reigns with very little interruption and the offense was completely inept.

If Andersen takes 40% of the snaps today, the Cats win in my opinion. I don't think that's even a stretch.
So running Jonsen over and over and getting 2 yards each play didn't have anything to do with it? Or calling a deep pass literally every other play?
Following up on this because Utucats directed me to the box score.

Jonsen had 6 rushing attempts in the game. Only 17 yards, so he was not effective, but he wasn't being given much run.

Rovig had 26 pass attempts and 10 rushing attempts. Until they used Andersen late, Rovig dominated the snaps at QB.

StatedImprovement
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by StatedImprovement » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:32 pm

Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
StatedImprovement wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:46 pm
:-({|= :-({|= :-({|=

OUCH
You are down to EWU at half..might want to watch it. You were pretty silent last week, you facking tool
Its turning into a fun game... you should stay tuned

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:32 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:30 pm
coloradocat wrote:
I think Rovig has improved every week. He still hasn't learned to throw the ball away when he's about to get sacked and we can't rely on him when we need a score (whether we're 5 yards or 65 yards out) but he's getting better. At the current rate I think he'll be above average by next year. Slow progress is still progress.

The play calling has been confusing. Rovig either throws passes under 5 yards or he throws bombs. He doesn't have the accuracy (or WRs who can catch) for the long passes. I don't know why we can't come up with some 10-15 yard passes. The coaches seem to go back and forth between forcing the issue by calling long passes and completely giving up on him by throwing Troy/Jonsen out there to take the snap.

If confidence and leadership is why he lost the job each of the last two summers I don't understand how the coaches think they are doing him any favors with the way they call the games. :-k
Your point is definitely warranted, but I also feel like Rovig does not take control of the team. Maybe it is just me, but he never seems in charge. Guys don’t appear to play for him or rally around him. I think coaches are looking for some leadership as well when they plug in Kassis, Jonsen or Anderson.
Unfortunately, I saw the same thing today. I am not quite sure about his leadership qualities. You don't need to be a superstar to be a good QB, but you'll win games if you have guys motivated to make plays around you.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

StatedImprovement
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by StatedImprovement » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:32 pm

Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
StatedImprovement wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:46 pm
:-({|= :-({|= :-({|=

OUCH
You are down to EWU at half..might want to watch it. You were pretty silent last week, you facking tool
Its turning into a fun game... you should stay tuned

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:34 pm

What makes the Bobcat performance and execution today so demoralizing is we had two weeks to prepare....UGH

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:34 pm

What will Choate do now? He has coordinators that are in over their head in MM. Also, BJ with special teams has not done a good job. Our special teams have been a huge disappointment this year. Our OL has underperformed. And all this talk that Rovig is serviceable at QB is never going to get us anywhere. His lack of confidence in himself is evident. However, he is all we have unless they put TA back there. Bauman is not ready at all and they won’t even give Beltran any type of chance. When you add it all up, Choate is in trouble.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:35 pm

coloradocat wrote:

I think the comment that Rovig is slowly progressing would have been fair after Sac. State, but not today in my opinion. This was total regression if you ask me. And yes, they took some deep shots with him, but it's not as though everything they asked of him was deep. He was inaccurate on short and intermediate passes too. And UND dropped at least two would be interceptions.

And there is really no room for the excuse today that the coaches take him out too often. Until they absolutely had to have a score, they barely interrupted Rovig's play. He dominated the snaps at QB for the first three quarters. He just wasn't getting it done. Jonsen ended the game with a mere 6 carries to Rovigs combined 36 run/pass attempts.

Duane
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Duane » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:35 pm

The Jonsen drop and Kassis not calling for fair catch were 2 big individual plays. Going for 2 was bad and was Bauman suppose to read the D and call it off or was it designed to go for it no matter what ? Miller called some good plays but others made no sense. The sprinkling in of TA was good and a TD came about but having him run it 3X pinned down was not good. Is a screen even in the playbook because I do not think I have seen 1 yet. How bout calling some short pass plays to the TE when getting blitzed ?

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:39 pm

Duane wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:35 pm
The Jonsen drop and Kassis not calling for fair catch were 2 big individual plays. Going for 2 was bad and was Bauman suppose to read the D and call it off or was it designed to go for it no matter what ? Miller called some good plays but others made no sense. The sprinkling in of TA was good and a TD came about but having him run it 3X pinned down was not good. Is a screen even in the playbook because I do not think I have seen 1 yet. How bout calling some short pass plays to the TE when getting blitzed ?
Our passing scheme is an fing joke regardless of the QB. If teams shut down the running game, we are sunk.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:39 pm

Duane wrote:
The way Rovig was playing today, I have zero issue with the coaches taking the ball out of his hands when we were in our own end zone.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:45 pm

Duane wrote:
The sprinkling in of TA was good
Troy was not sprinkled in. That was the "Break out TA in case of emergency" move. It's been the plan with him all season. Need a 1st down or TD, put Troy in. I don't think Troy has handed off or passed all season. The incredible thing about him (and Jonsen generally) is that everyone knows what the play is before the ball is snapped and they can't stop it.
Miller called some good plays but others made no sense.
That's Miller to a T. Sometimes it seems like he can put an entire drive or two together where everything works. Then he calls two straight 1 yard passes and a long developing 3rd down play where Rovig gets sacked.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Duane
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Duane » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:48 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:39 pm
Duane wrote:
The way Rovig was playing today, I have zero issue with the coaches taking the ball out of his hands when we were in our own end zone.
That worked out great and led to a blocked punt with a TD. Having Rovig heave it downfield would have been better and maybe a TD,or PI and if it does get picked at least it is farther away giving our D to stop them again.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:50 pm

Duane wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:48 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Duane wrote:
That worked out great and led to a blocked punt with a TD. Having Rovig heave it downfield would have been better and maybe a TD,or PI and if it does get picked at least it is farther away giving our D to stop them again.
I disagree. Andersen running the ball was our best offensive play all day and the best bet for a first down. I don't see what more Rovig incompletions would have changed, and by giving him the ball there you would have been at a high risk for a safety or pick in our own end.

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:53 pm

Duane wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
Duane wrote:
I don’t claim to know the details but do you ever wonder if Bob Cole knew what he was he was doing and Choate didn’t want to listen???

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:13 pm

You can tell things have not slowed down for him just because he can't automatically look off a safety, throw to a hot receiver, or pick up a secondary receiver especially against the blitz.

2024 Resume dominance

MSUBOBCAT4LIFE
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MSUBOBCAT4LIFE » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:23 pm

John K wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:02 pm
MSUBOBCAT4LIFE wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:57 pm
How bout that bobcat qb. Let’s just give up all the games. He can’t make decisions. He freaks out in pressure. And get a delay of game when we need to make a first. He doesn’t have it. Never will never has
The announcers said Rovig was yelling at the center to snap the ball when they got that delay of game penalty. I don't know if that's really true or not, but if so, then that obviously wasn't on Rovig.
Then you call a timeout they had one. It’s on the qb

I Bleed Blue & Gold & Find Myself Watching Replays Of The Game The Day After Being There In Person. Some Call Me Crazy I Call It Dedication

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:24 pm

1984champ wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:53 pm
Duane wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
Duane wrote:
I don’t claim to know the details but do you ever wonder if Bob Cole knew what he was he was doing and Choate didn’t want to listen???
There is no doubt that Cole is a very respected offensive coach, especially with QBs. He went after Beltran after seeing what he had in Rovig and Bauman. He saw something in Beltran. I am not saying Beltran is the answer. But, I find it really strange Beltran has not been given anywhere near a chance since Cole left. The competition after Cole left was purely Bauman and Rovig. His name never is even in the conversation. Was Cole that wrong about Beltran? I find that hard to believe.

Duane
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Duane » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:40 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:50 pm
Duane wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
Duane wrote:
I disagree. Andersen running the ball was our best offensive play all day and the best bet for a first down. I don't see what more Rovig incompletions would have changed, and by giving him the ball there you would have been at a high risk for a safety or pick in our own end.
TA had the one long run for 49 yds otherwise he was just 6 carries for 15 yards. I would take 2 points over 6 then see if the D can stop them since they were playing better. Mix up the play calling just a lil bit so the D has to think. Put TA in the backfield with Rovig and if they stack the box fake the hand off to TA and take a shot with a long pass down the sideline to Jonsen. If they back off give it to TA. You have to try the pass 1 time and just not hope TA can save the day with 3 predictable play calls in a row.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:50 pm

Duane wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:40 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:50 pm
Duane wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
Duane wrote:
TA had the one long run for 49 yds otherwise he was just 6 carries for 15 yards. I would take 2 points over 6 then see if the D can stop them since they were playing better. Mix up the play calling just a lil bit so the D has to think. Put TA in the backfield with Rovig and if they stack the box fake the hand off to TA and take a shot with a long pass down the sideline to Jonsen. If they back off give it to TA. You have to try the pass 1 time and just not hope TA can save the day with 3 predictable play calls in a row.
But that's hindsight analysis to say you would take 2 over 6. Of course at the time no one could have said "hey, let Rovig stay in because even if he takes a safety we're fixing to get this punt blocked anyways."

They tried the pass all day. Rovig was averaging like 3 yards per attempt, taking sacks, taking delay of game penalties, and throwing it at the other teams guys.