Troy ****** Andersen

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

utucats
Member # Retired

Troy ****** Andersen

Post by utucats » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:21 am

So this QB thing has been rattling around in my head the last two days. During the Sac game I felt no confidence that Rovig could lead us back. I like Bauman’s ability to not turn the ball over but that is all I like. Suddenly it came to me, the answer is simple.

We have a first team all Big Sky QB on the roster! Troy ****** Andersen!

With Troy taking snaps we were literally always a play away from breaking that long one for a TD. Which QB on the roster gives us that feeling? Troy has the respect and admiration of his teammates. Can anyone actually make the argument that those eyes staring at the QB in the huddle feel the same confidence looking at Bauman or Rovig? Every time TA enters the game on offense someone within a close proximity to me mentions “here comes Troy.” There is an expectation and people pay attention because chances are something sweet might happen.

We keep waiting for one of our QBs to develop but it isn’t moving along. We need a quick study. Based on Choate’s comments who picks up the details quicker than TA?

We aren’t getting major production but need someone who can at least complete passes at a steady enough clip to keep defenses honest and most importantly don’t turn the ball over. TA’s last five QB starts he was 64-111(.576) 717 yards 2 tds and 1 int. Are Rovig or Bauman a big enough improvement on those numbers to bench a guy who scored 21 TDs in a single season?

TA has the it factor. We’ve lost that at our most important position and why? Because some have created the narrative that we need to turn average QBs into slightly above average QBs because you think we need to follow the same old formula as everyone else. I’m thinking we take a non traditional all Big Sky QB and work on aspects of his game to make him a bigger threat and more dynamic and tough to defend instead of spinning our wheels trying to just come up with something we can pass off as a QB.

TA is a great player and I know he likes the idea of playing LB but his impact on the defensive side of the ball has not been enough to justify losing his offensive impact on the game. We need him to play as big a role as possible and having your best player play the most important position makes all the sense in the world.

After this bye week, can anyone honestly say that any QB decision would push the offensive reset button and inspire hope more than a TA return to the position where he has experienced his most success as a Cat? TA at QB represents our team perfectly. Stop looking for the magic formula and start working to improve what has already worked for us.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Troy ****** Andersen

Post by lutecat » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:06 am

No. He doesn't want to. And developing a new qb isn't an overnight thing as so many seem to think it should be. Thus the word developing.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:00 am

$$$’s to donuts you will NOT ever see TA as our main Qb! Will he take snaps? Sure, but he is a developing LB and Choate has said as much. Rovig was not the reason the line didn’t block or protect well!

Because they dropped the ball in blocking everyone including Troy were going to struggle and did. The difference is that Rovig almost threw for 300 against a team who is arguably the best in the conference!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:26 am

utucats wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:21 am
So this QB thing has been rattling around in my head the last two days. During the Sac game I felt no confidence that Rovig could lead us back. I like Bauman’s ability to not turn the ball over but that is all I like. Suddenly it came to me, the answer is simple.

With Troy taking snaps we were literally always a play away from breaking that long one for a TD. Which QB on the roster gives us that feeling? Troy has the respect and admiration of his teammates. Can anyone actually make the argument that those eyes staring at the QB in the huddle feel the same confidence looking at Bauman or Rovig? Every time TA enters the game on offense someone within a close proximity to me mentions “here comes Troy.” There is an expectation and people pay attention because chances are something sweet might happen.

We keep waiting for one of our QBs to develop but it isn’t moving along. We need a quick study. Based on Choate’s comments who picks up the details quicker than TA?

We aren’t getting major production but need someone who can at least complete passes at a steady enough clip to keep defenses honest and most importantly don’t turn the ball over. TA’s last five QB starts he was 64-111(.576) 717 yards 2 tds and 1 int. Are Rovig or Bauman a big enough improvement on those numbers to bench a guy who scored 21 TDs in a single season?

TA has the it factor. We’ve lost that at our most important position and why? Because some have created the narrative that we need to turn average QBs into slightly above average QBs because you think we need to follow the same old formula as everyone else. I’m thinking we take a non traditional all Big Sky QB and work on aspects of his game to make him a bigger threat and more dynamic and tough to defend instead of spinning our wheels trying to just come up with something we can pass off as a QB.

TA is a great player and I know he likes the idea of playing LB but his impact on the defensive side of the ball has not been enough to justify losing his offensive impact on the game. We need him to play as big a role as possible and having your best player play the most important position makes all the sense in the world.

After this bye week, can anyone honestly say that any QB decision would push the offensive reset button and inspire hope more than a TA return to the position where he has experienced his most success as a Cat? TA at QB represents our team perfectly. Stop looking for the magic formula and start working to improve what has already worked for us.
Clearly Troy isn’t anywhere close to 100% healthy. He’s a step or two slower and you can tell lacks power when making a cut. He’s being a warrior and playing when he should probably be resting the ankle.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:16 am

It has to be the first time in college football history that you have a 1st team all conference QB returning for his junior season... and he is moved to LB. hahah.

For the record- I have always lobbied for him to play LB, which I still think is the right call. If he was healthy I think we would be seeing some better numbers from him as well.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:04 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:00 am
$$$’s to donuts you will NOT ever see TA as our main Qb! Will he take snaps? Sure, but he is a developing LB and Choate has said as much. Rovig was not the reason the line didn’t block or protect well!

Because they dropped the ball in blocking everyone including Troy were going to struggle and did. The difference is that Rovig almost threw for 300 against a team who is arguably the best in the conference!
Ok but the line isn’t the only reason that Rovig overthrew and under-threw many receivers. He also threw a pick 6 that hit the DB in the face.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:13 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:26 am
utucats wrote:

Clearly Troy isn’t anywhere close to 100% healthy. He’s a step or two slower and you can tell lacks power when making a cut. He’s being a warrior and playing when he should probably be resting the ankle.
Alright but when healthy you agree?

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:23 am

utu you're kind of crazy in a funny way. In several paragraphs you make the case that TA is the magic QB formula and in your last sentence you suggest that we need to: 'Stop looking for the magic formula and start working to improve what has already worked for us."
What our team actually needs to do is not go back to a one dimensional so called magic formula and instead keep doing the hard, sometimes painful, frustratingly slow, work towards an offense with a multidimensional QB.
Believe me I'm as impatient and frustrated as anyone that it is taking so long, but the more complete and lasting solution is just going to take more time. Those are the cards we're holding.

'

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:27 am

utucats wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:13 am
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:26 am
utucats wrote:

Alright but when healthy you agree?
I think that, when healthy, Troy is the most dangerous guy in the big sky conference. I also think that Troy WANTS to be a linebacker and isn't interested in being QB on a full time basis. I also think there's a possibility that if he's moved to QB full-time that there's a very real possibility of him transferring.

So no, I don't think we should move him to QB full time.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:56 am

Some people comment that we don't see near the impact with him on the Defensive side of the ball. I disagree. When he is out there, the Defensive speed improves greatly. He just gets to spots that he is needed and when he is not out there those spots are large spaces. It appears that our defense is totally different with him on the field. We cover differently, we blitz differently, Sterk is freed up, the QB is always closely watching where he is at. I want a dominant defense and it will take Troy being out there to have that. Let the offense hang their hats and survive with other players. We will be better in the long run if that happens, in my opinion.

Time to leave him on defense.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:03 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:23 am
utu you're kind of crazy in a funny way. In several paragraphs you make the case that TA is the magic QB formula and in your last sentence you suggest that we need to: 'Stop looking for the magic formula and start working to improve what has already worked for us."
What our team actually needs to do is not go back to a one dimensional so called magic formula and instead keep doing the hard, sometimes painful, frustratingly slow, work towards an offense with a multidimensional QB.
Believe me I'm as impatient and frustrated as anyone that it is taking so long, but the more complete and lasting solution is just going to take more time. Those are the cards we're holding.

A multidimensional QB? We use to have a one dimensional QB. Now we have no dimensions. No offense to Rovig, he’s thrown some good balls but if I’m in need of yardage at the most critical moment I wouldn’t bet a package of Ramen on his arm.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:13 am

Troy needs more reps on D so he can dominate his senior year at LB.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:15 am

superbobcat wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:56 am
Some people comment that we don't see near the impact with him on the Defensive side of the ball. I disagree. When he is out there, the Defensive speed improves greatly. He just gets to spots that he is needed and when he is not out there those spots are large spaces. It appears that our defense is totally different with him on the field. We cover differently, we blitz differently, Sterk is freed up, the QB is always closely watching where he is at. I want a dominant defense and it will take Troy being out there to have that. Let the offense hang their hats and survive with other players. We will be better in the long run if that happens, in my opinion.

Time to leave him on defense.
This is 100% true and shows up every time I rewatch the games.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:21 am

I am not saying that moving Andersen back to QB full time is a move that must happen, but I do continue to believe that he would be the most successful guy of the candidates on the roster.

My understanding is that he wants to continue playing defense. If that's his choice and remains his choice, then they should leave him there and continue to sprinkle him in on offense.

Rovig has shown some growth since taking over despite a terrible start to the Sac State game. Sticking with him, especially with Ifanse and Jones hopefully getting healthy, does not equate to waving the white flag.

And Andersen does ball out on defense.

All that said, if he came to Choate over the bye and said he wants the QB job back, I'd be all for it. That opinion really seems to bother some people, but it's just how I see it.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:24 am

If Troy was going to play QB, then he would have spent the entire offseason on it. Trying to throw him out there now would undermine the plan the coaches have laid out for a year and you probably lose Rovig and Bauman AND possibly Troy. Why do people not seem to remember how stagnant our offense was last year for LONG periods of time? Our offense this year is leaps and bounds more consistent. SSU was the first game we were consistently kept out of the endzone but we still moved the ball more than last year.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

StatedImprovement
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by StatedImprovement » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:27 am

pretty ineffective this year stat-wise
(go deep)
https://montana_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/football/teamcume.htm
Last edited by StatedImprovement on Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:28 am

RobertoGato wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:21 am
I am not saying that moving Andersen back to QB full time is a move that must happen, but I do continue to believe that he would be the most successful guy of the candidates on the roster.

My understanding is that he wants to continue playing defense. If that's his choice and remains his choice, then they should leave him there and continue to sprinkle him in on offense.

Rovig has shown some growth since taking over despite a terrible start to the Sac State game. Sticking with him, especially with Ifanse and Jones hopefully getting healthy, does not equate to waving the white flag.

And Andersen does ball out on defense.

All that said, if he came to Choate over the bye and said he wants the QB job back, I'd be all for it. That opinion really seems to bother some people, but it's just how I see it.
If Troy actually did that, I would support the move. I just don't think having not worked at QB during practice other than his very limited set of plays, he is not prepared to play there and 2 weeks won't get him there. Can he even throw? Has anyone seen him throw since his shoulder was worked on? Putting him in only able to run would be the scenario I would fear the most.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:32 am

Hey utu, have you watched the LA Rams this year? They are a real life example of a team that fails to evolve. Still have the same talent but don't grow to stay ahead of the competition. Going back to last year is no recipe for success. In another thread, I opined that our retro thoughts were a major contributor to our loss. Keep Troy on D.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:42 am

If Choate is even thinking of moving TA back to QB full time that is a problem. Not with our offense or anything else, but with Choate. He has done a phenomenal job so far and I haven't questioned much of anything he does (except his clock management skills and that bad 4th down call on Saturday). That being said, if he chose to go back to TA at QB I think I would be viewing him and his ability to lead this team differently. Nobody wants players who second guess themselves, their teammates or their coaches. Worse than that would be the Head Coach second guessing all those things.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:57 am

Troy needs to develop at LB and Tucker needs to develop at QB. I know this is a crazy opinion but both guys haven't played very much college ball at their positions and both will get better.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast