Not sold on Choate

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Not sold on Choate

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:01 pm

MNCat wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:53 pm

What does everyone expect for attendance next weekend?
I’ll be there loud and proud!!!

MNCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MNCat » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:05 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:01 pm
MNCat wrote:

I will be there as well, but the last two losses will affect overall attendance. Hunting season is in full swing, and uninspiring football does not bring out the average fan.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:06 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:00 pm
onceacat wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:52 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:43 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:37 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:28 pm
MNCat wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:26 pm
Choates record

Overall - 22-21
Conference - 14 -14
Playoffs - 1-1
Cat/Griz - 3-0

The main reason people have talked about culture is the 3-0 stat. If that stat was different what would everyone be saying already?
This isn’t necessarily wrong.
Very true. Unfortunately, our program still has tooooo many fans and boosters that are only worried about winning that one game of the year, I think "The Streak" has a lot to do with that attitude. I personally would like to see a team that is built for a long playoff run. Winning that one game of the year should just be icing on the cake rather than the whole cake itself.
To be fair though I wouldn’t expect the powers that be to be as knee jerk as anonymous experts on a message board.

Forget Cat Griz for a second. We have improved every year so far under choate. Last year making the playoffs. So in that regard I think it’s still too early. We could still go farther this year than we did last year. If we do I think we’d all be happy.

That said, our play hasn’t given me any reason to think that might be the case. And if it’s not I fully expect Choates seat to be hot.

I guess my point is that while we’re all real frustrated, it’s not like we’re gonna fire choate on the plane back home. He may have bought some time beating the griz, but the fact remains that as far as records go we have still progressed every year. And while it seems to be a long shot this very second, mathematically we can still continue that trend as of right now.

That was brutal to watch though.
No, we haven't "got better every year". We took a giant step backward in 2016 relative to 2015. Then, the 2017 team had the same number of wins as the 2015 team. Then the 2018 team had the same performance as the 2014 team. So, today, are we better than the 2014 team?

Nope.

We are not "getting better". Sort of tired of hearing that BS.
Hey you can be “tired of hearing that BS” all you want. It doesn’t change what the records are.

Choate first year we went 4-7 and were rarely competitive.

His next year he was 5-6 and lost some winnable games.

Last year we went 8-5 with a playoff win.

Numbers tell me that 8 is more than 5 which is more than 4. And because I’m super good at math I know that because we are 5-3 with FOUR games to go....we can still improve on last year.

I don’t have the ability to see the future like some, but as of this moment there are still a lot of things possible. Winning 9 games. Beating the griz. Making the playoffs. Winning more playoff games than last year.

But not playing like today. Lucky for this team the season doesn’t end today!
In 2015 the Cats were 5-6. The year before that we were 7-5. We fired the winningest coach in Bobcat history for that. (Appropriately)

Choate is only "getting better" because he was so bad in his first 2 years.

I guess if you set low expectations, its easy to exceed them.

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:08 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:01 pm
MNCat wrote:

I will ALWAYS be there!!! Hell, I never missed a game through all the years when we were coached by He Who Will Not Be Named...

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

85CatGrad
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 85CatGrad » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:13 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:35 pm
You can go ahead and make that 3-1 against UM.
Don't be a quitter. Still lot's of football to be played.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:14 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:06 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
MNCat wrote:
Choates record

Overall - 22-21
Conference - 14 -14
Playoffs - 1-1
Cat/Griz - 3-0

The main reason people have talked about culture is the 3-0 stat. If that stat was different what would everyone be saying already?
Very true. Unfortunately, our program still has tooooo many fans and boosters that are only worried about winning that one game of the year, I think "The Streak" has a lot to do with that attitude. I personally would like to see a team that is built for a long playoff run. Winning that one game of the year should just be icing on the cake rather than the whole cake itself.
To be fair though I wouldn’t expect the powers that be to be as knee jerk as anonymous experts on a message board.

Forget Cat Griz for a second. We have improved every year so far under choate. Last year making the playoffs. So in that regard I think it’s still too early. We could still go farther this year than we did last year. If we do I think we’d all be happy.

That said, our play hasn’t given me any reason to think that might be the case. And if it’s not I fully expect Choates seat to be hot.

I guess my point is that while we’re all real frustrated, it’s not like we’re gonna fire choate on the plane back home. He may have bought some time beating the griz, but the fact remains that as far as records go we have still progressed every year. And while it seems to be a long shot this very second, mathematically we can still continue that trend as of right now.

No, we haven't "got better every year". We took a giant step backward in 2016 relative to 2015. Then, the 2017 team had the same number of wins as the 2015 team. Then the 2018 team had the same performance as the 2014 team. So, today, are we better than the 2014 team?

Nope.

Hey you can be “tired of hearing that BS” all you want. It doesn’t change what the records are.

Numbers tell me that 8 is more than 5 which is more than 4. And because I’m super good at math I know that because we are 5-3 with FOUR games to go....we can still improve on last year.

I don’t have the ability to see the future like some, but as of this moment there are still a lot of things possible. Winning 9 games. Beating the griz. Making the playoffs. Winning more playoff games than last year.

In 2015 the Cats were 5-6. The year before that we were 7-5. We fired the winningest coach in Bobcat history for that. (Appropriately)

And you can keep pretending this team was stacked with talent when Choate took over too. News flash, it wasn't.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:18 pm

I am a long ways from calling for him to be fired. I felt we needed a change when we fired Ash, and I've always liked and supported Choate from day one. But I have to admit that a few doubts are starting to creep in. That was a pretty pathetic performance today. There's really no way to sugar coat this loss. I know you shouldn't place too much emphasis on any one single game, no matter how bad it may have been, but I was soooo optimistic about this team early in the season. I fully expected us to finish at least 6-2/9-3, with a top 8 seed, first round bye, home game in the 2nd round, and a legitimate chance to reach the QF at least.

Those aspirations have pretty much gone up in smoke after these last 2 games, which is very disappointing to say the least. As others have pointed out, the Sac loss was disappointing, but not really unexpected. They are a very good team, and we had our chances. We outgained them in total yards, and besides the dumb call to go for it on 4th down early in the game, we also came away with zero points on three trips into the RZ, including one time when we had a 1st and goal at the 4, and a 3rd and goal at the 1. If we had gotten even 10 points out of those opportunities, which is really the bare minimum that you should get from being in the RZ 3 times, then that would have been only a 3 point loss.

On the other hand, this game was just an all around meltdown, pretty much on every level. Although I have to agree with what most people have posted, that after being a little shaky for most of the 1st half, the defense actually played pretty well in the 2nd half. What has happened to our pass rush though, which was so strong earlier in the season? What happened to our O-line, which was so dominant earlier in the season? Defenses seem to have figured out how to stop our running game, and we have no passing game. It seems pretty likely that we'll split the last 4 games, which would mean no playoffs. After starting out 2-0/5-1, we probably only had to go 3-3 the 2nd half of the season to make the field, and if can't even do that...well that would be really very discouraging.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:22 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:14 pm
onceacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
MNCat wrote:
Choates record

Overall - 22-21
Conference - 14 -14
Playoffs - 1-1
Cat/Griz - 3-0

Nope.

And you can keep pretending this team was stacked with talent when Choate took over too. News flash, it wasn't.
And if it's still performing this way after 4 years of Choate's control, who's responsible for that? We STILL don't have a serviceable QB after 4 years of recruiting, our best option is a converted LB.. Who's responsible for that?

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:23 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
onceacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
MNCat wrote:
Choates record

Overall - 22-21
Conference - 14 -14
Playoffs - 1-1
Cat/Griz - 3-0

Nope.

Not stacked. Just perfectly reasonable. I'd take the talent on that team over 8 teams in the Big Sky right now.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:25 pm

John K wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:18 pm
I am a long ways from calling for him to be fired. I felt we needed a change when we fired Ash, and I've always liked and supported Choate from day one. But I have to admit that a few doubts are starting to creep in. That was a pretty pathetic performance today. There's really no way to sugar coat this loss. I know you shouldn't place too much emphasis on any one single game, no matter how bad it may have been, but I was soooo optimistic about this team early in the season. I fully expected us to finish at least 6-2/9-3, with a top 8 seed, first round bye, home game in the 2nd round, and a legitimate chance to reach the QF at least.

Those aspirations have pretty much gone up in smoke after these last 2 games, which is very disappointing to say the least. As others have pointed out, the Sac loss was disappointing, but not really unexpected. They are a very good team, and we had our chances. We outgained them in total yards, and besides the dumb call to go for it on 4th down early in the game, we also came away with zero points on three trips into the RZ, including one time when we had a 1st and goal at the 4, and a 3rd and goal at the 1. If we had gotten even 10 points out of those opportunities, which is really the bare minimum that you should get from being in the RZ 3 times, then that would have been only a 3 point loss.

On the other hand, this game was just an all around meltdown, pretty much on every level. Although I have to agree with what most people have posted, that after being a little shaky for most of the 1st half, the defense actually played pretty well in the 2nd half. What has happened to our pass rush though, which was so strong earlier in the season? What happened to our O-line, which was so dominant earlier in the season? Defenses seem to have figured out how to stop our running game, and we have no passing game. It seems pretty likely that we'll split the last 4 games, which would mean no playoffs. After starting out 2-0/5-1, we probably only had to go 3-3 the 2nd half of the season to make the field, and if can't even do that...well that would be really very discouraging.
I can't remember if Choate said this, but it was something to the effect of "You aren't as good as your best win, and you aren't as bad as your worst loss".

But over a season or two, patterns become pretty apparent. We are in the top of the middle pack of the Big Sky. Probably somewhere between top 15 and top 10. No better, no worse.

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:26 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:22 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
onceacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
MNCat wrote:
Choates record

Overall - 22-21
Conference - 14 -14
Playoffs - 1-1
Cat/Griz - 3-0

Nope.

And if it's still performing this way after 4 years of Choate's control, who's responsible for that? We STILL don't have a serviceable QB after 4 years of recruiting, our best option is a converted LB.. Who's responsible for that?
While I agree to some extent, you seem to think a. Recruiting is easy. If its so easy, why doesnt every team have a stud qb? And b. Its not like its been a stable system....Dakota jumped ship, Bruggman left, Chris Murray flunks out. Its not like you can just hand the keys over to someone with no game experience and expect them to win every game. Should rovig be progressing more..yes, but some of that is on coaches. Need to put him in to the best situation to succeed, build off of his strengths. The same rings true for any qb.

MinnesotaBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MinnesotaBobcat » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:31 pm

On the plus side, we should be happy we weren’t playing the other ND team. I turned it on after our game and the talent/speed is so much better. SDSU/NDSU on another level.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:32 pm

Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:26 pm
KittieKop wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
onceacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
MNCat wrote:
Choates record

Overall - 22-21
Conference - 14 -14
Playoffs - 1-1
Cat/Griz - 3-0

Nope.

While I agree to some extent, you seem to think a. Recruiting is easy. If its so easy, why doesnt every team have a stud qb? And b. Its not like its been a stable system....Dakota jumped ship, Bruggman left, Chris Murray flunks out. Its not like you can just hand the keys over to someone with no game experience and expect them to win every game. Should rovig be progressing more..yes, but some of that is on coaches. Need to put him in to the best situation to succeed, build off of his strengths. The same rings true for any qb.
a. I dont think anyone is talking about recruiting a stud QB. Weve talked all season we only need serviceable. We can't even get to that point it seems. b. Everyone talks like the QB turnover and problems is only because of a series of flukes and bad luck. Prukop left for a reason, Bruggman was a washout, Murray flunked out, Rovig and Bauman were both seemingly recruited for their QB talent. It's not bad luck. Its poor recruiting, training, development of QB talent. This is happening TO Choate, he owns it.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:35 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:32 pm
Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:26 pm
KittieKop wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
onceacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

Nope.

a. I dont think anyone is talking about recruiting a stud QB. Weve talked all season we only need serviceable. We can't even get to that point it seems. b. Everyone talks like the QB turnover and problems is only because of a series of flukes and bad luck. Prukop left for a reason, Bruggman was a washout, Murray flunked out, Rovig and Bauman were both seemingly recruited for their QB talent. It's not bad luck. Its poor recruiting, training, development of QB talent. This is happening TO Choate, he owns it.
Virtually everybody on this board was high on the Rovig and Bauman recruiting. I agree the development isnt there. Some of those other things you mentioned cant be foreseen. In the end, these "kids" are adults and make their own decisions. It was bad luck for the team.

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:36 pm

KittieKop wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
onceacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
MNCat wrote:
Choates record

Overall - 22-21
Conference - 14 -14
Playoffs - 1-1
Cat/Griz - 3-0

Nope.

Yep, gotta quit blaming Rovig. He’s not ready and the staff failed once again to find a player to lead this offense. The trend continues.....

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:39 pm

1984champ wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:36 pm
KittieKop wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
onceacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
MNCat wrote:
Choates record

Overall - 22-21
Conference - 14 -14
Playoffs - 1-1
Cat/Griz - 3-0

Nope.

Yep, gotta quit blaming Rovig. He’s not ready and the staff failed once again to find a player to lead this offense. The trend continues.....
Nate Ketteringham, Kevin Thomson, and Dalton Sneed all transferred onto their current teams since Choate took over. But its probably bad luck...

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:44 pm

The problem is, the longer this lack of development continues the harder its going to be to turn around. When you look at development and utilization of the QB position by the current staff why as a QB, would you look to MSU right now? We're not going to get a McGhee, a Prukop, a Lulay. Those guys also coming to MSU wasn't an accident, and them becoming great QBs weren't an accident. Being where we are in the QB room right now......is not an accident.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:59 pm

KittieKop wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
onceacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
onceacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
MNCat wrote:
Choates record

Overall - 22-21
Conference - 14 -14
Playoffs - 1-1
Cat/Griz - 3-0

Nope.

100% on Choate. But the argument was that his improvement since year 1 basically doesn't count since he won 4 games in 2016 but because 2014 and 2015 saw win totals of 7 and 5 it's not improvement. At this point who knows but an Ash led team in 2016 probably would have won 4 games or less.

Here2inform
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Here2inform » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:04 pm

Frickin relax guys, Choate is 4 years into his tenure and he is 1 game over .500. When Jeff gets all of his players on the field and not Ash left overs he will dominate.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:05 pm

The XP was probably the worst call in MSU sports history. I’ve been wracking my brain trying remember a worse call. As soon as they lined up I was screaming at the tv.

That one call completely killed all momentum from the TD.

I’m not saying Choate is a complete ****** up, but for one play he sure was.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber