Not sold on Choate

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Not sold on Choate

Post by CelticCat » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:06 pm

utucats wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:36 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:33 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:44 am
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:37 am
Why does everyone keep talking about how bad Rovig's interceptions are? Is there such a thing as a good interception? I mean get where it's coming from, but an INTs an INT.

By the way I just crunched some numbers, Rovig has thrown an interception on 2.29% of his throws, which would put him 4th in the conference and above Dalton Sneed. Mason Petrino is last at 3.61%, Davis Alexander 1st at just 1.65%.

The point really isn't "Rovig's bad INT's"...the fact, when you are making a point that TA must be QB or TJ must be QB is that ANY INT from Rovig is proof that he is failing not learning. No one says he does not have to improve he does...but not everyone sees that he is not the main problem with the Offense.
This is what I'm getting at. Rovig's interceptions seem to be viewed under a HUGE microscope right now because people are using it to back up their argument that Rovig isn't the guy, when I truly believe Rovig isn't the biggest problem in our passing game right now, or at least not the sole problem. Coaching, play calling, WR playmakers not making plays, and some pretty poor pass protection all add into this. I just put up stats that show Rovig actually is 4th best in the conference in interceptions thrown per passes attempted but not a single comment on that fact. You'd think listening to people talk about his horrible interceptions he'd be dead last in the conference in this category.
Your 4th best in conference stat is meaningless. First off, we are very run heavy on offense and Rovig is being asked to complete some extremely simple and basic passes. The degree of difficulty for our signal caller and other programs is certainly not apples to apples. Also, Tucker has benefitted from secondary drops on numerous occasions. Against Sac State he threw what should have been a pick 6 and against UND he had 3 passes that could easily have been picked. Everyone keeps talking about Jonsen’s drop but if everyone was sure handed last Saturday Rovig’s stat line would be even worse than it was.

Anyone who knows anything about football watches the Cats and says we need a QB. It’s painfully obvious.
And your dropped interception stat is meaningless, every QB has had sure interceptions dropped. Some have been tipped, some went right through a WRs hands into a DBs hands. The only thing in the end that matters when looking at interceptions is the # of interceptions thrown, and Tucker has only thrown 3 through 6 games.

I am by no means Rovig's biggest fan but some of the critiques against Rovig just baffle me. You are mistaking me for someone who doesn't see a problem, I do, but there are other problems in the passing game that aren't named Tucker Rovig. But I've never seen a QB who has only thrown 3 interceptions in 6 games get ripped so hard for throwing interceptions, or interceptions that should have but didn't even happen. There are issues with Rovig's game but throwing an above average number of interceptions isn't one of them. Seeing the field, timing, and confidence are bigger issues than the number of interceptions he's thrown.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:42 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:06 pm
utucats wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Why does everyone keep talking about how bad Rovig's interceptions are? Is there such a thing as a good interception? I mean get where it's coming from, but an INTs an INT.

By the way I just crunched some numbers, Rovig has thrown an interception on 2.29% of his throws, which would put him 4th in the conference and above Dalton Sneed. Mason Petrino is last at 3.61%, Davis Alexander 1st at just 1.65%.

The point really isn't "Rovig's bad INT's"...the fact, when you are making a point that TA must be QB or TJ must be QB is that ANY INT from Rovig is proof that he is failing not learning. No one says he does not have to improve he does...but not everyone sees that he is not the main problem with the Offense.
This is what I'm getting at. Rovig's interceptions seem to be viewed under a HUGE microscope right now because people are using it to back up their argument that Rovig isn't the guy, when I truly believe Rovig isn't the biggest problem in our passing game right now, or at least not the sole problem. Coaching, play calling, WR playmakers not making plays, and some pretty poor pass protection all add into this. I just put up stats that show Rovig actually is 4th best in the conference in interceptions thrown per passes attempted but not a single comment on that fact. You'd think listening to people talk about his horrible interceptions he'd be dead last in the conference in this category.
Your 4th best in conference stat is meaningless. First off, we are very run heavy on offense and Rovig is being asked to complete some extremely simple and basic passes. The degree of difficulty for our signal caller and other programs is certainly not apples to apples. Also, Tucker has benefitted from secondary drops on numerous occasions. Against Sac State he threw what should have been a pick 6 and against UND he had 3 passes that could easily have been picked. Everyone keeps talking about Jonsen’s drop but if everyone was sure handed last Saturday Rovig’s stat line would be even worse than it was.

Anyone who knows anything about football watches the Cats and says we need a QB. It’s painfully obvious.
And your dropped interception stat is meaningless, every QB has had sure interceptions dropped. Some have been tipped, some went right through a WRs hands into a DBs hands. The only thing in the end that matters when looking at interceptions is the # of interceptions thrown, and Tucker has only thrown 3 through 6 games.

I am by no means Rovig's biggest fan but some of the critiques against Rovig just baffle me. You are mistaking me for someone who doesn't see a problem, I do, but there are other problems in the passing game that aren't named Tucker Rovig. But I've never seen a QB who has only thrown 3 interceptions in 6 games get ripped so hard for throwing interceptions, or interceptions that should have but didn't even happen. There are issues with Rovig's game but throwing an above average number of interceptions isn't one of them. Seeing the field, timing, and confidence are bigger issues than the number of interceptions he's thrown.
It probably just seems like he’s throwing so many interceptions because they’ve all been so costly and he’s thrown so many that looked like they’re going to be picked. Plus he doesn’t do anything to make you forget the picks. Three interceptions in the last four games wouldn’t seem bad if he had 800 yards and 10 touchdowns to go with it. I think he’s got about 550 and 4?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:56 pm

When you have an inept offense, a single interception is costly. And you're right if he's passing for more yards then it's easier to forgive. That's why I broke it down to the stat of INTs per attempt, because that's an important stat in our offense. But so is efficiency and Rovig is near dead last in that category.

To me Bruggman, Bauman, and now Rovig all played sort of the same way - afraid to make a mistake. If anything it's gotten worse, maybe because of Bruggman. But the only constant throughout that time is Jeff Choate. Chris Murray was an anomaly because he was supremely confident, if not cocky. But Murray also benefited from the fact we had no one else on the roster remotely close to ready to play, so it's easier to be confident because you don't have anyone breathing down your neck ready to take your job. Murray threw 233 of our 238 pass attempts in 2017. Rovig isn't even under center like 40% of the time.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:40 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:06 pm
utucats wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Good post and I can agree with much of it but I wouldn’t categorize Rovig’s possible INTs as tipped ball or went through a wideouts hands. Rovig has lucked out on throws that hit dbs in the mouth and luckily they didn’t catch them.

Our QB has to instill a certain level of confidence on those staring at him in the huddle. I don’t think that is currently the case.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:51 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:24 am
FTG_1984 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:13 am
wbtfg wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:33 am

Nah man. The bet was loser pays $100 to the organization the winner chooses.
Name it then, bruh
Let’s go with MSU Foundation and earmark it for the Hilleman Scholars program.
Just thought I'd respond to this for the heck of it.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:18 pm

How do some of you guys like Choate now ?

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:31 pm

Never doubted him, lucky to have him.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:33 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:05 am
I’m sold on Choate! Hope he stays for a long time.
!!!!

grunyon37
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by grunyon37 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:43 pm

Anybody not sold on Choate now is just f-ing ignorant. I'm sorry, but this guy has us playing our best in November. I love it!

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:57 pm

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:18 pm
How do some of you guys like Choate now ?
I’m very impressed.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:24 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:40 pm

After his comments at North Dakota. He realized he needs to do a better job on the offensive side of the ball. That’s a man admitting his weaknesses. He’s improved Color me impressed!

Nice work coach!
Last edited by kwcat on Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:15 am

This ridiculous thread needs to die. It pisses me off every time I see the ignorant title.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:27 pm

I think Jeff ended it yesterday.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."