Playoff Implications

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Playoff Implications

Post by kcatz » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:42 pm

Selection show is at 10:30.

Doors open at 10:00 am.

South end of Field House.

Was in playoff ticket info and posted again this evening on social media (fB, etc).

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:45 pm

kcatz wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:42 pm

Was in playoff ticket info and posted again this evening on social media (fB, etc).
Thank you!!

Punters are people too!!

Catprint
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Catprint » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:31 am

I have Montana #8 and then going to NDSU as sweet revenge. But they could be #7. I would prefer we got the #6 so we played at Weber - lots of fans going and they are beatable. I also think UND will get in and SELA will not - based on the MSU win. SELA does not have the SOS in my opinion.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:54 am

Catprint wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:31 am
I have Montana #8 and then going to NDSU as sweet revenge. But they could be #7. I would prefer we got the #6 so we played at Weber - lots of fans going and they are beatable. I also think UND will get in and SELA will not - based on the MSU win. SELA does not have the SOS in my opinion.
Yes, I agree that UND makes it. Like @BleedingBLue, I'm dropping Furman. We will see...crazy to think that MSU over UM might be the difference maker for UND!

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:53 am

I’m just going to say it. The Bobcats should be the number three seed.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:06 am

I’ve been reading everything I could since the game ended about seeds and I’ve picked up a new perspective I hadn’t considered.

I think the Committee might try and put us in the same bracket as Weber for the sole reason we didn’t play in the regular season. All the other seed combinations have a rematch against Sac or um.

Now I don’t really care about the seed we are as much as playing against Weber. I think it’s a game we can win even if it’s in Ogden.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:01 am

Cledus wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:06 am
I’ve been reading everything I could since the game ended about seeds and I’ve picked up a new perspective I hadn’t considered.

I think the Committee might try and put us in the same bracket as Weber for the sole reason we didn’t play in the regular season. All the other seed combinations have a rematch against Sac or um.

Now I don’t really care about the seed we are as much as playing against Weber. I think it’s a game we can win even if it’s in Ogden.
Yeah the more I read things the more I think we may get the 6 seed and UNI or Nova gets the 5. UNI finished in sole possession of 2nd place in the MVFC. I'm sure the committee will be over impressed by that.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:07 am

I hate to say it but I think the griz may get a higher seed just because of our UND loss. It looks really good for the hawks but the two FCS games that the school to the west lost to where on the road and top 10 teams.

I hope the committee puts us higher but UND could hurt us and I hope it does because I want a motivated Cats team that’s pissed we are not getting the credit we deserve after yesterday’s game. To paraphrase Choate, if you watched more of our games all year and if root paid attention you would see we’ve been a good team all year not just today

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:14 am

catgrad05 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:07 am
I hate to say it but I think the griz may get a higher seed just because of our UND loss. It looks really good for the hawks but the two FCS games that the school to the west lost to where on the road and top 10 teams.

I hope the committee puts us higher but UND could hurt us and I hope it does because I want a motivated Cats team that’s pissed we are not getting the credit we deserve after yesterday’s game. To paraphrase Choate, if you watched more of our games all year and if root paid attention you would see we’ve been a good team all year not just today
I get what you’re saying, and you could be right, but I’d still be very surprised if the griz are a lower seed.
If this beat down would have happened 4 weeks ago and they ended with the same record I could see that, but the fact it happened the day before selection Sunday, I just don’t see it happening.

As much as I believe the Cats are just a better team than um and they’d beat them again if they played in a few weeks, I certainly wouldn’t want that game to be in Missoula. So for that reason alone I’d really hate to see the griz with a higher seed. If they both keep winning, the game would be in Missoula if they’re on the same side of the bracket.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:16 am

No chance in hell the griz are seeded higher than us.

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:21 am

My prediction- we are a 5 seed and griz are an 8.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

coochorama42

Post by coochorama42 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:27 am

catgrad05 wrote:

Prior to Cat-Griz, I thought this was a possibility (Cats win, still seeded below UM), but after yesterday, I give it a 0% chance. I was looking at the Big Sky and realized MSU is the only playoff team without a legit FCS blowout loss. If "who you don't want to play right now" were the only criteria, MSU would be the #3 seed. @Catprint has a point that MSU might get the #6 seed for logistics reasons. I am pretty confident (75%), it's going to be #5 and a potential rematch with Sac State. This being said, I do not think that rematch ever materializes. Sac State is not the same team that dominated MSU and UM. I believe if we are the #5 seed, we have the chance to host two playoff games before a return trip to Fargo.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:41 am

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I don't care where we're seeded, as long as it doesn't set up a playoff Brawl...I don't want to play the griz again unless it's matchup in Frisco. I want yesterday's result to stand on its own for a whole year. That being said, I think both the Cats and the griz are very capable of deep play off runs-depending on when either of us have to go to Fargo. It could be a pretty interesting December.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:58 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:27 am
catgrad05 wrote:

Prior to Cat-Griz, I thought this was a possibility (Cats win, still seeded below UM), but after yesterday, I give it a 0% chance. I was looking at the Big Sky and realized MSU is the only playoff team without a legit FCS blowout loss. If "who you don't want to play right now" were the only criteria, MSU would be the #3 seed. @Catprint has a point that MSU might get the #6 seed for logistics reasons. I am pretty confident (75%), it's going to be #5 and a potential rematch with Sac State. This being said, I do not think that rematch ever materializes. Sac State is not the same team that dominated MSU and UM. I believe if we are the #5 seed, we have the chance to host two playoff games before a return trip to Fargo.
If we're the 5 seed, we get a bye and then 1 home game, unless the 4 seed got upset and lost their first game.

coochorama42

Post by coochorama42 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:05 am

Exactly. I don't think Sac State wins a playoff game the way they are playing.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:06 am

If MSU is the 5, I’d guess SAC is the 4. Find out in 25 minutes

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:09 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:05 am
SAC just rolled up 530 yards vs Davis. Held them under 300. I don’t think they’re playing bad. Their slump coincided with Thomson’s injury.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:11 am

kcatz wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:42 pm

This game will probably go OT.

toM StUber

coochorama42

Post by coochorama42 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:18 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:41 am
I'm probably in the minority on this, but I don't care where we're seeded, as long as it doesn't set up a playoff Brawl...I don't want to play the griz again unless it's matchup in Frisco. I want yesterday's result to stand on its own for a whole year. That being said, I think both the Cats and the griz are very capable of deep play off runs-depending on when either of us have to go to Fargo. It could be a pretty interesting December.
I agree 100%.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:33 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:09 am
coochorama42 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:05 am
SAC just rolled up 530 yards vs Davis. Held them under 300. I don’t think they’re playing bad. Their slump coincided with Thomson’s injury.
Same score as the Bobcat game the week before. Beat NAU at home (with some really lucky breaks) with their backup QB. Beat a weak Idaho team on the road by 24.

What a bizarre thing to say.