Playoff Implications

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

onceacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1583
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Re: Playoff Implications

Post by onceacat » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:34 pm

Htowngriz wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:48 am
91catAlum wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:24 am
coochorama42 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:24 am
Just some quick thoughts after the playoff seeding was released by the committee.

Politics are certainly at play here. I have little issue with the top ten teams, but the ranking is highly suspect. How do you put a one-loss "power three" conference team (Montana Grizzlies) behind a two-loss "power three" conference team (Northern Iowa)? If you flip UM and UNI in the rankings, I think they nailed it.
Its due to strength of schedules. UNI has something like the #5 toughest schedule in the country this year, and losing to NDSU doesn't really hurt you in their eyes. Also UNI has a high quality win over #11 Ill. State. The griz's best win at this point is Monmouth.
I don't necessarily have a problem with UNI being ahead of UM at this point, but just FYI our SOS is ranked 5th in FCS by Massey (UNI is 2nd).
UNI's losses are to top 3 teams in Weber and NDSU. And they have 2 wins against the playoff field. UMs best win is against a possible qualifier in Monmouth.

UNI absolutely deserves the nod. And it isn't even close.



coochorama42
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:12 pm

Re: Playoff Implications

Post by coochorama42 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:07 pm

It feels like I'm in the minority here. UNI has one win against the potential playoff field (Illinois State), not two (other five wins were against SUU, ISU, Youngstown St., South Dakota, and Missouri State). UM has one win against the (very) likely Big South automatic bid (Monmouth) and the other six wins against South Dakota, North Alabama, UC Davis, ISU, EWU, Portland State. UM only has a FCS loss to Sacramento State as opposed to two for UNI (NDSU and Weber State). UM also has the more difficult remaining schedule. Listen, I'm a Cats fan first and a Big Sky Conference fan second. I don't necessarily hate on the Grizzlies like many on here (I had season tickets as a kid from about 1986-1989 before we moved to the Gallatin Valley). I'm just saying that, to me, 6 > 5 and the extenuating circumstances are not enough to change my opinion about this. Had we not fallen to UND, we'd be in the same situation and I personally feel it's B.S. I don't think UNI should have an advantage because they lost to two really good teams. If they are really the #6 team in the country, they should have taken advantage of a Weber State team playing with their backup QB. Instead, they fell behind 20-3 in the first quarter and only closed the gap to 12 with 4:04 remaining. The week prior, they beat an Idaho State team at home 13-6. The Grizzlies beat that same team 59-20 in Missoula. Both teams (UNI and UM) have a really bad loss to a good team. Just my thoughts on the matter.



Htowngriz
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 704
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:48 pm
Location: Queen City

Re: Playoff Implications

Post by Htowngriz » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:04 am

onceacat wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:34 pm
Htowngriz wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:48 am
91catAlum wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:24 am
coochorama42 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:24 am
Just some quick thoughts after the playoff seeding was released by the committee.

Politics are certainly at play here. I have little issue with the top ten teams, but the ranking is highly suspect. How do you put a one-loss "power three" conference team (Montana Grizzlies) behind a two-loss "power three" conference team (Northern Iowa)? If you flip UM and UNI in the rankings, I think they nailed it.
Its due to strength of schedules. UNI has something like the #5 toughest schedule in the country this year, and losing to NDSU doesn't really hurt you in their eyes. Also UNI has a high quality win over #11 Ill. State. The griz's best win at this point is Monmouth.
I don't necessarily have a problem with UNI being ahead of UM at this point, but just FYI our SOS is ranked 5th in FCS by Massey (UNI is 2nd).
UNI's losses are to top 3 teams in Weber and NDSU. And they have 2 wins against the playoff field. UMs best win is against a possible qualifier in Monmouth.

UNI absolutely deserves the nod. And it isn't even close.
Okay. :roll: I guess we'll see how "not close" it is when they come to Missoula for yet another beatdown.



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 13230
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Playoff Implications

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:11 am

Htowngriz wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:04 am
onceacat wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:34 pm
Htowngriz wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:48 am
91catAlum wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:24 am
coochorama42 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:24 am
Just some quick thoughts after the playoff seeding was released by the committee.

Politics are certainly at play here. I have little issue with the top ten teams, but the ranking is highly suspect. How do you put a one-loss "power three" conference team (Montana Grizzlies) behind a two-loss "power three" conference team (Northern Iowa)? If you flip UM and UNI in the rankings, I think they nailed it.
Its due to strength of schedules. UNI has something like the #5 toughest schedule in the country this year, and losing to NDSU doesn't really hurt you in their eyes. Also UNI has a high quality win over #11 Ill. State. The griz's best win at this point is Monmouth.
I don't necessarily have a problem with UNI being ahead of UM at this point, but just FYI our SOS is ranked 5th in FCS by Massey (UNI is 2nd).
UNI's losses are to top 3 teams in Weber and NDSU. And they have 2 wins against the playoff field. UMs best win is against a possible qualifier in Monmouth.

UNI absolutely deserves the nod. And it isn't even close.
Okay. :roll: I guess we'll see how "not close" it is when they come to Missoula for yet another beatdown.
That’s for sure. Has N. Iowa ever beat UM? Doesn’t seem like it. If they took historical records into account they’d never put N. Iowa ahead of UM.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

ilovethecats
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3862
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Playoff Implications

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:23 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:11 am
If they took historical records into account they’d never put N. Iowa ahead of UM.
:lol:

Do they take into account teams that were really good in the early 2000’s? Just curious.



onceacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1583
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Re: Playoff Implications

Post by onceacat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:27 am

Htowngriz wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:04 am
onceacat wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:34 pm
Htowngriz wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:48 am
91catAlum wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:24 am
coochorama42 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:24 am
Just some quick thoughts after the playoff seeding was released by the committee.

Politics are certainly at play here. I have little issue with the top ten teams, but the ranking is highly suspect. How do you put a one-loss "power three" conference team (Montana Grizzlies) behind a two-loss "power three" conference team (Northern Iowa)? If you flip UM and UNI in the rankings, I think they nailed it.
Its due to strength of schedules. UNI has something like the #5 toughest schedule in the country this year, and losing to NDSU doesn't really hurt you in their eyes. Also UNI has a high quality win over #11 Ill. State. The griz's best win at this point is Monmouth.
I don't necessarily have a problem with UNI being ahead of UM at this point, but just FYI our SOS is ranked 5th in FCS by Massey (UNI is 2nd).
UNI's losses are to top 3 teams in Weber and NDSU. And they have 2 wins against the playoff field. UMs best win is against a possible qualifier in Monmouth.

UNI absolutely deserves the nod. And it isn't even close.
Okay. :roll: I guess we'll see how "not close" it is when they come to Missoula for yet another beatdown.
I’m not saying that UNI can beat the Griz in Zootown. I’m saying their record is head and shoulders better than the Griz at this point.



bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:22 pm

Re: Playoff Implications

Post by bobcatfan123 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:24 am

In thinking about these next few weeks should we be rooting for UM to beat Weber. I know it's one week at a time and we have nothing to do with any sort of outcome. . . but can't help but speculate how everything will play out. It would be nice to beat UM when they are a #3 ranked team as opposed to #10 (or whatever ranking the loss would put them at). It is the time of year when your ranking actually does matter. If we beat a highly ranked griz team we can still get seed and a few home games.

Have mixed emotions as I have a really hard time rooting for the griz in any sort of situation. . . even if it could benefit the cats.



91catAlum
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6498
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:41 pm
Location: Clancy, MT

Re: Playoff Implications

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:55 am

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:24 am
In thinking about these next few weeks should we be rooting for UM to beat Weber. I know it's one week at a time and we have nothing to do with any sort of outcome. . . but can't help but speculate how everything will play out. It would be nice to beat UM when they are a #3 ranked team as opposed to #10 (or whatever ranking the loss would put them at). It is the time of year when your ranking actually does matter. If we beat a highly ranked griz team we can still get seed and a few home games.

Have mixed emotions as I have a really hard time rooting for the griz in any sort of situation. . . even if it could benefit the cats.
I don't think it matters much. If the Cats win out, they'll be seeded regardless of who wins Weber/um.


Image

sdsyvie
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:40 pm

Re: Playoff Implications

Post by sdsyvie » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:22 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:55 am
bobcatfan123 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:24 am
In thinking about these next few weeks should we be rooting for UM to beat Weber. I know it's one week at a time and we have nothing to do with any sort of outcome. . . but can't help but speculate how everything will play out. It would be nice to beat UM when they are a #3 ranked team as opposed to #10 (or whatever ranking the loss would put them at). It is the time of year when your ranking actually does matter. If we beat a highly ranked griz team we can still get seed and a few home games.

Have mixed emotions as I have a really hard time rooting for the griz in any sort of situation. . . even if it could benefit the cats.
I don't think it matters much. If the Cats win out, they'll be seeded regardless of who wins Weber/um.

This!

If the cats win the next two they are a lock for a seed

So I say we all root for the griz to lose two in a row 😲



User avatar
cats2506
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7966
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:35 pm
Location: Lewistown

Re: Playoff Implications

Post by cats2506 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:10 pm

if um beats weber it means the UM would have a shot at a share of the BSC championship, I don't see how that helps us. If we win out, I think we get a seed reguardless, if we split the next 2 I think we get an at large.


PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

CPrice91
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 862
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:54 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: Playoff Implications

Post by CPrice91 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:10 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:23 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:11 am
If they took historical records into account they’d never put N. Iowa ahead of UM.
:lol:

Do they take into account teams that were really good in the early 2000’s? Just curious.
This



User avatar
VimSince03
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7063
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: Playoff Implications

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:12 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:10 pm
if um beats weber it means the UM would have a shot at a share of the BSC championship, I don't see how that helps us. If we win out, I think we get a seed reguardless, if we split the next 2 I think we get an at large.
If we get split the last two, we will 100% get an at-large bid and a first-round home game.


"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

ilovethecats
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3862
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Playoff Implications

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:17 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:12 pm
cats2506 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:10 pm
if um beats weber it means the UM would have a shot at a share of the BSC championship, I don't see how that helps us. If we win out, I think we get a seed reguardless, if we split the next 2 I think we get an at large.
If we get split the last two, we will 100% get an at-large bid and a first-round home game.
Absolutely. A win Saturday puts us in 100%. This is a playoff game for us for sure. Take care of business and the brawl is for a seed and bragging rights.



NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:50 am

Re: Playoff Implications

Post by NorthernPlains » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:45 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:12 pm
cats2506 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:10 pm
if um beats weber it means the UM would have a shot at a share of the BSC championship, I don't see how that helps us. If we win out, I think we get a seed reguardless, if we split the next 2 I think we get an at large.
If we get split the last two, we will 100% get an at-large bid and a first-round home game.

Guaranteed playoff at large with one win. If lost both of remaining two, probable though not guaranteed playoffs.

Either way would win a bid for a first round home game.

If that is won then guaranteed 2nd round shipped to either Weber State or North Dakota State. Neither is a pleasant prospect.



User avatar
catatac
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5905
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:37 pm

Re: Playoff Implications

Post by catatac » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:30 pm

So, assuming the Cats win out and earn a seed, how likely is it that the Griz would have to come back to Bozeman for a 2nd round game? I'd say very likely if the Griz lose the next two. Of course this depends on how Weber and Sac finish but Ideally they play each other and the winner plays the Cats. Not sure if that's how the brackets would set up or not but would be pretty cool. How long has it been since we've seen two Cat\Griz games in the same season?


Great time to be a BOBCAT!

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:50 am

Re: Playoff Implications

Post by NorthernPlains » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:53 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:30 pm
So, assuming the Cats win out and earn a seed, how likely is it that the Griz would have to come back to Bozeman for a 2nd round game? I'd say very likely if the Griz lose the next two. Of course this depends on how Weber and Sac finish but Ideally they play each other and the winner plays the Cats. Not sure if that's how the brackets would set up or not but would be pretty cool. How long has it been since we've seen two Cat\Griz games in the same season?

It almost happened a few years ago but I don't ever remember them playing twice in the same year.

If Cats win out they earn a seed. Only a very small chance Grizzlies fed back into Bozeman since they played the final week of the season. More likely Montana would be sent to a MVFC school.

Sac State & Weber depend upon how they each finish up. Both schools could have seeds. Even with a Weber loss in Missoula they could still get a 7 or 8 seed. With a win there the Wildcats should be the # 2 or 3 seed. Regardless the brackets will probably be set so they feed seeded Big Sky teams into each other when possible, or to the MVFC schools. Interesting two weeks yet to play!



onceacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1583
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Re: Playoff Implications

Post by onceacat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:56 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:30 pm
So, assuming the Cats win out and earn a seed, how likely is it that the Griz would have to come back to Bozeman for a 2nd round game? I'd say very likely if the Griz lose the next two. Of course this depends on how Weber and Sac finish but Ideally they play each other and the winner plays the Cats. Not sure if that's how the brackets would set up or not but would be pretty cool. How long has it been since we've seen two Cat\Griz games in the same season?
I remember Christmas parties about 7 years ago when MSU had a sure fire road win pencilled in with a semifinal game against the Griz...then Sammy went all ape s**** and did about three years worth of buzz saw through the BSC.



BleedingBLue
Member # Retired
Posts: 2526
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Re: Playoff Implications

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:22 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:30 pm
So, assuming the Cats win out and earn a seed, how likely is it that the Griz would have to come back to Bozeman for a 2nd round game? I'd say very likely if the Griz lose the next two. Of course this depends on how Weber and Sac finish but Ideally they play each other and the winner plays the Cats. Not sure if that's how the brackets would set up or not but would be pretty cool. How long has it been since we've seen two Cat\Griz games in the same season?
I think the quarterfinals are the absolute earliest the committee would possibly have them match up again. It's difficult, but they try their best to avoid regular season rematches in the 1st and 2nd rounds.



User avatar
Sotallytober
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 287
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:43 am
Location: Billings, MT

Re: Playoff Implications

Post by Sotallytober » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:27 pm

Cats and Griz have never met in the playoffs. 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011* and 2014 are the only years they've both gone. In 2002 and 2011 they were on the same side of the bracket so it was possible to have a rematch in Missoula ('02) or Bozeman ('11).
In 2002 they actually could have met in the 2nd round if the Cats could have beaten McNeese (though with the size of the tournament that was the quarters).



grizpsych
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:30 am

Re: Playoff Implications

Post by grizpsych » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:27 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:30 pm
So, assuming the Cats win out and earn a seed, how likely is it that the Griz would have to come back to Bozeman for a 2nd round game? I'd say very likely if the Griz lose the next two. Of course this depends on how Weber and Sac finish but Ideally they play each other and the winner plays the Cats. Not sure if that's how the brackets would set up or not but would be pretty cool. How long has it been since we've seen two Cat\Griz games in the same season?
If the cats win out (and Montana loses 1 and goes 9-3), I think both Montana and Montana State will be seeded and thus not see each other until round three--if at all.



Post Reply