TV disapointmnet

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

brucat5
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: TV disapointmnet

Post by brucat5 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:26 pm

kmax wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:18 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:05 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:59 am
kmax wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:46 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:50 am
Grizaddict wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:23 am
YouTube tv kids. Do the free trial. It includes the local channels. $50/month. I’ve watched the recent cats games and will watch Griz tonight. Free cloud based DVR w unlimited recording as well.
Would this work internationally?
No, as a matter of fact it won’t even work for anyone that isn’t physically in the viewing area of a channel showing those games. I can use this (or others like sling or Hulu live) and watch games from here but if I were traveling outside the state I would get local Fox, NBC, CBS, ABC channels for whatever location I was in. These over the top options are just streaming (usually cheaper) alternatives to cable/dish plans.
Got it! And thanks, I'll just keep working my usual system of ESPN, Pluto and MSUBOBCATS to get my fix.
Kmax i’m not sure that is correct. When I set mine up it had me punch in the ZIP Code for my local viewing area, which then attached me to the Butte-Bozeman local channels. So technically if a subscriber just punched in a Bozeman ZIP Code I think that’s what local channels they would get regardless of where they are located. It would be worth doing the free trial and trying it.
Sadly, it is correct. Trust me it verifies location. I was in Seattle at the time of one of our games and tried pulling it up and got the local Seattle locals instead of my Bozeman locals.
Yeah, same experience as KMAX. Its based on your IP address/phone location. If you have a VPN that allows you to circumvent location issues, then you may be able to get around it? Not sure... When I was in Bozeman for the homecoming game, I got all the Bozeman CBS/NBC/ABC/FOX stations (I live in St Louis, MO). I really wish it was as you describe GA, cause my frustration with Pluto/ESPN is unlimited.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:36 pm

kmax wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
kmax wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
YouTube tv kids. Do the free trial. It includes the local channels. $50/month. I’ve watched the recent cats games and will watch Griz tonight. Free cloud based DVR w unlimited recording as well.
No, as a matter of fact it won’t even work for anyone that isn’t physically in the viewing area of a channel showing those games. I can use this (or others like sling or Hulu live) and watch games from here but if I were traveling outside the state I would get local Fox, NBC, CBS, ABC channels for whatever location I was in. These over the top options are just streaming (usually cheaper) alternatives to cable/dish plans.
Got it! And thanks, I'll just keep working my usual system of ESPN, Pluto and MSUBOBCATS to get my fix.
Kmax i’m not sure that is correct. When I set mine up it had me punch in the ZIP Code for my local viewing area, which then attached me to the Butte-Bozeman local channels. So technically if a subscriber just punched in a Bozeman ZIP Code I think that’s what local channels they would get regardless of where they are located. It would be worth doing the free trial and trying it.
Sadly, it is correct. Trust me it verifies location. I was in Seattle at the time of one of our games and tried pulling it up and got the local Seattle locals instead of my Bozeman locals.
Oh gotcha. Thanks for update. That sucks

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:37 pm

brucat5 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:26 pm
kmax wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
kmax wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Yeah, same experience as KMAX. Its based on your IP address/phone location. If you have a VPN that allows you to circumvent location issues, then you may be able to get around it? Not sure... When I was in Bozeman for the homecoming game, I got all the Bozeman CBS/NBC/ABC/FOX stations (I live in St Louis, MO). I really wish it was as you describe GA, cause my frustration with Pluto/ESPN is unlimited.
So if a person had something like the Norton VPN they would set their server location to (for instance) Bozeman and that would give them a usable location...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:43 pm

As soon as this NFL season is over (Sunday Ticket) I'm done with Directv. This year has been a nightmare.

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:00 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:43 pm
As soon as this NFL season is over (Sunday Ticket) I'm done with Directv. This year has been a nightmare.
Same. My wife is ready to pull the plug on DirecTV now. I'm holding her off until the end of the NFL season.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:20 pm

RickRund wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:37 pm
brucat5 wrote:
kmax wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
kmax wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
So if a person had something like the Norton VPN they would set their server location to (for instance) Bozeman and that would give them a usable location...
Potentially, however my experience with those VPN services is that many of the larger streaming services just block usage from any IP associated with them. I have one of those services (not Norton) and tried using it when I was on vacation in Mexico and hulu, netflix, etc. just completely blocked me. I think it is kind of a crap shoot as to if you can get that to work. Additionally that is only for devices that do not have GPS. If on a phone or something like that that has GPS it seems to require GPS permissions for determining location versus using IP.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:46 pm

kmax wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:20 pm
RickRund wrote:
brucat5 wrote:
kmax wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
kmax wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Potentially, however my experience with those VPN services is that many of the larger streaming services just block usage from any IP associated with them. I have one of those services (not Norton) and tried using it when I was on vacation in Mexico and hulu, netflix, etc. just completely blocked me. I think it is kind of a crap shoot as to if you can get that to work. Additionally that is only for devices that do not have GPS. If on a phone or something like that that has GPS it seems to require GPS permissions for determining location versus using IP.
Well shoot. I have the mlb audio app. Everyday they have a freebie game and if that game is a Mariners/YANKEE game it will not let me watch it because seattle is involved. So much for a YANKEE game :) :)

msubobcats@outlook.com

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:49 pm

RickRund wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:46 pm
kmax wrote:
RickRund wrote:
brucat5 wrote:
kmax wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
kmax wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Well shoot. I have the mlb audio app. Everyday they have a freebie game and if that game is a Mariners/YANKEE game it will not let me watch it because seattle is involved. So much for a YANKEE game :) :)
I have a Nighthawk router. Never have checked but wondering if it has a VPN setting. Will have to look into that. Not gps needed on the router.

msubobcats@outlook.com

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:13 pm

RickRund wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:49 pm
RickRund wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:46 pm
kmax wrote:
RickRund wrote:
brucat5 wrote:
kmax wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
kmax wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

I have a Nighthawk router. Never have checked but wondering if it has a VPN setting. Will have to look into that. Not gps needed on the router.
I have to use a VPN to get PlutoTV because without it I am blocked. But, the issue with a VPN is the tower is not in Bozeman but is located in Az so that wouldn't get me the local Bozeman stations. Also, like kmax said, many providers like HULU etc. just block any address that they deem VPN and you are shot down even when using one.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:43 am

SWX blocks VPN traffic as well. I’ve tried to use it when out of their region. It is like there is a force in the universe that does not want Bobcat fans to watch Bobcat football. (Is that force the Big Sky Conference?)

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:16 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kcatz » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:13 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:16 pm
This may be the most exciting news report I have ever seen from Sean Rainey

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:37 pm

Just happend to flip over to the local FOX and there is was. Sure will make watching the game nice tomorrow.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:46 pm

Fox and abc are back on Direct TV!! Yeah!!!

JimmyEatWorld
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JimmyEatWorld » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:59 am

Now hopefully they can turn their attention to fixing the issues regarding OTA broadcasts in the Bozeman market for those of us that cut the cord. We are left with sub-par channel clarity still making it almost impossible to watch Cat games or the World Series or NFL on Fox. Get er done man!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:38 am

bobcatbob wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:46 pm
Fox and abc are back on Direct TV!! Yeah!!!
What channel on direct TV

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:22 pm

One positive note from the game today. UND’s broadcast was as good as I have seen at a Bobcat game all year. And although the commentators were a little biased I thought they did a pretty good job of calling the game without it being annoying.
SWX still has a hard time getting back from commercial breaks on time but if all broadcasts of our games were this quality I would be pretty happy.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:00 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:22 pm
One positive note from the game today. UND’s broadcast was as good as I have seen at a Bobcat game all year. And although the commentators were a little biased I thought they did a pretty good job of calling the game without it being annoying.
SWX still has a hard time getting back from commercial breaks on time but if all broadcasts of our games were this quality I would be pretty happy.
Yes...

msubobcats@outlook.com

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:57 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:22 pm
There were 3-4 plays that weren't even aired due to the TV coverage not getting back from commercial in time.
I hate that.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:05 pm

I would say if you missed the game today, you're likely better off.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?