Choate comes on the Hero Sports Coach Podcast

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Danster21
BobcatNation Letterman

Choate comes on the Hero Sports Coach Podcast

Post by Danster21 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:32 pm

Danster21
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Choate comes on the Hero Sports Coach Podcast

Post by Danster21 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:04 pm

Just finished it and here are my biggest takeaways:

1. I've finally realized what it is that off puts me about Choate, he doesn't joke around much at all. Which is fine, it's just not me at all so while I really respect him as a coach and mentor for the team, he wouldn't be on my 1st Team for drinking buddies (unless he's way different when sloshed haha!) Also, side note, he's just as obsessed with the polls as some of us. At the beginning, he got pissed at the polls for putting us behind SEMO without realizing that those are last week's rankings.

2. Choate won't be here forever. He said it on the Montana Mint podcast, that when he finishes this year it'll be the second-longest time he's spent in one place. And of course, you can't expect someone to stay in one school forever, especially if they become very successful at the FCS level and have FBS contacts (And my oh my does he have contacts, which I'll get to later). But after his contract expires at the end of 2021, I fully expect him to move up to a P5 HC spot, any available team would be lucky to have him.

3. He has matured a lot, even since his first year here. He talked briefly about it but it's something that should be said, he's learned what works and what doesn't with this group of kids. And part of a rebuild (especially in college sports where tanking won't do you any good) is making sure the kids know what they expect out of you. He said specifically that at half time vs SEMO they knew they just had to stop beating themselves and they'll win. And they did!

4. The need for an Andersen Award for the best 2-way player (of the week or year) isn't just crazed BCN ramblings, the national media recognizes it too. Unfortunately Choate says he might be too humble to accept such an award lmao!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:10 pm

Danster21 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:04 pm

1. I've finally realized what it is that off puts me about Choate, he doesn't joke around much at all. Which is fine, it's just not me at all so while I really respect him as a coach and mentor for the team, he wouldn't be on my 1st Team for drinking buddies (unless he's way different when sloshed haha!) Also, side note, he's just as obsessed with the polls as some of us. At the beginning, he got pissed at the polls for putting us behind SEMO without realizing that those are last week's rankings.
Choate doesn't joke around? I've had a total different experience. I think he's hilarious and would definitely have him as a drinking buddy. By the way, I think he's a PBR guy.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:23 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:10 pm
Danster21 wrote:

Choate doesn't joke around? I've had a total different experience. I think he's hilarious and would definitely have him as a drinking buddy. By the way, I think he's a PBR guy.
Yes, Danster needs to join the Quarterback Club!

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:26 pm

Danster21 wrote:

2. Choate won't be here forever. He said it on the Montana Mint podcast, that when he finishes this year it'll be the second-longest time he's spent in one place. And of course, you can't expect someone to stay in one school forever, especially if they become very successful at the FCS level and have FBS contacts (And my oh my does he have contacts, which I'll get to later). But after his contract expires at the end of 2021, I fully expect him to move up to a P5 HC spot, any available team would be lucky to have him.

3. He has matured a lot, even since his first year here. He talked briefly about it but it's something that should be said, he's learned what works and what doesn't with this group of kids. And part of a rebuild (especially in college sports where tanking won't do you any good) is making sure the kids know what they expect out of you. He said specifically that at half time vs SEMO they knew they just had to stop beating themselves and they'll win. And they did!

4. The need for an Andersen Award for the best 2-way player (of the week or year) isn't just crazed BCN ramblings, the national media recognizes it too. Unfortunately Choate says he might be too humble to accept such an award lmao!
Solid points, but his son is only a redshirt freshman so maybe he stays until 2022 just to coach Jory? This is the longest he has ever been in one spot but he also has not been the head guy at any collegiate program so maybe this is different. He did mention during his presser that he believes this is the highest level of "real" football that is played anywhere in the country. Obviously a guy isn't going to say "This will be my stepping stone to bigger and better things..." during the introductory presser but it gives me a little hope that maybe we hold on to him longer than another coach with similar success and contacts. I know the big P5 paycheck has to be tough to resist and maybe this is just my wishful thinking and looking at it in blue/gold colored glasses but I'm hoping he sticks around for a long time and I don't think it is completely out of the question. And if he doesn't then hopefully, we promote from within (Miller? Ione?) to keep the culture intact and a smooth transition. It has worked wonders for EWU and NDSU.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:28 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Danster21 wrote:

Just like his statements about the poll which OP eluded to, that was Choate joking, his humor is a bit dry which I like, but some people don't see it.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:31 pm

Danster21 wrote:

You need to get your "joke around" meter recalibrated or replaced. Coach Choate has a great sense of humor and uses it often in a joke around kind of way.
Concerning an award for best 2way player I'm sure he said that TA would be too humble to have the award named after him. I have no doubt he would humbly accept such an award though. Personally I think they should name it the TA award for total athlete :wink: :-^ Purely coincidental that those are his initials :wink: :lol:

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:31 pm

All I can say is that if he moves on after this season, and the replacement coach comes in and says it takes time to implement a new system and culture shift - I'm gonna scream!

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:38 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:31 pm
All I can say is that if he moves on after this season, and the replacement coach comes in and says it takes time to implement a new system and culture shift - I'm gonna scream!
x10000
I think you and at least 10,000 others would scream "WRONG ANSWER! NEXT!"

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:39 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:31 pm
Danster21 wrote:

You need to get your "joke around" meter recalibrated or replaced. Coach Choate has a great sense of humor and uses it often in a joke around kind of way.
Concerning an award for best 2way player I'm sure he said that TA would be too humble to have the award named after him. I have no doubt he would humbly accept such an award though. Personally I think they should name it the TA award for total athlete :wink: :-^ Purely coincidental that those are his initials :wink: :lol:
Yeah, he said Troy is too modest for an award to be named after him. I'm sure he'd accept an award though. Total Athlete is a good name for it. If there was a way to design a trophy where if you look at it from one side it's a RB and from the other side it's a LB that would be perfect.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Danster21
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Danster21 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:47 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:23 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Danster21 wrote:

Yes, Danster needs to join the Quarterback Club!
I'd love that, if any of you wanna drop 5 gs so I can be that highest tier that'd be spectacular! Nah but for real, I know he has really dry humor, that's just not my style either. It's probably why I watch American comedy and British everything else 😅😅

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:53 pm

Of course Choate won't stay around here for a long time. He's gunning for a P5 HC job, but he has it good here, likes it here, and will wait for the right opportunity.

If he does move on bc he's successful, I would expect the next coach to come from within the program. Kane or Matt Miller, most likely.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:16 pm

I’ve had a beer or two with Coach Choate. Shared some great stories with him. I think he’s a very very funny guy and loves to laugh.

HELLUVA FOOTBALL COACH TOO

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:13 am

Brian McLaughlin is a complete fool if he thinks UM should be ranked higher then the Cats. Hero Sports is a ***************** joke.

Punters are people too!!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:35 am

I think we are very good if we are at 10 or 12 or even some other number. If we win we will end up where we belong. That means we will end up ranked higher than Uocd or um.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:30 am

I like Choate as much as the next guy. But, I just dont see where all this "he will be a P5 HC" talk is coming from. Yes, the rebuild seems to be taking shape. This is year four, and the victory against SEMO is by far the best/most convincing win his teams have had(I understand we have beat um three times). I think we will have Choate another four years. Also, its pretty rare for an FCS guys to jump straight into a P5 HC position. Has it happened? Sure. But, my honest opinion, best case scenario he ends up in the Mountain West as a HC and who knows from there.

Hating the griz since 02.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:40 am

btribby wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:30 am
I like Choate as much as the next guy. But, I just dont see where all this "he will be a P5 HC" talk is coming from. Yes, the rebuild seems to be taking shape. This is year four, and the victory against SEMO is by far the best/most convincing win his teams have had(I understand we have beat um three times). I think we will have Choate another four years. Also, its pretty rare for an FCS guys to jump straight into a P5 HC position. Has it happened? Sure. But, my honest opinion, best case scenario he ends up in the Mountain West as a HC and who knows from there.
Just my opinion, but I think he is going to need to finish the job here first, this is his first run as a ranked team, he needs to make MSU a consistent top 10 team for a few years. If he does I think we will be in good shape. He has built this staff with so many Montana State connections that we will be able to promote from within. I also think we are only halfway through the Choate era.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:19 am

btribby wrote:
I totally agree with this and am not worried at all. Barring anything unforeseen, I think there are very few jobs Choate would leave MSU for.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:26 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:19 am
btribby wrote:
I totally agree with this and am not worried at all. Barring anything unforeseen, I think there are very few jobs Choate would leave MSU for.
Most of the people who talk about him leaving are fans of other teams who are threatened by what the future holds with Choate staying at MSU.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:13 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:26 am
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:19 am
btribby wrote:
Most of the people who talk about him leaving are fans of other teams who are threatened by what the future holds with Choate staying at MSU.
On this board? Doesn't seem that way to me.