MSU vs WIU predictions

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU vs WIU predictions

Post by wbtfg » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:11 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:53 am
This quote from Lewis Kidd says it all about this team. This is exactly why I think we win this weekend and win big.

On finding motivation this week: "Like we've been saying all week, it doesn't really matter, the atmosphere. If you need to be motivated you're probably not in the right room, not doing the right thing. I think we're all capable, we're a mature enough team to bring our own energy and feed off the energy of each other. It doesn't matter if we're playing in front of 50,000 people or a thousand. We should be playing at a high level no matter what."
This is the most veteran group we've had in quite a few years. I expect them to come out ready to play...we will soon find out.

As Choate always says "don't talk about it, be about it".

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:24 am

cats2506 wrote:
This game has all the makings of a trap game. MSU coming off a big win, difficult travel schedule, low energy environment, WIU is better than most people think. WIU could have some starters back that have not played this year, if they do then their run game will be stronger than expected. WIU has a O and D line which can hold them in the game at anyrate.

I still think the Cats overcome all of this and get a win, but expect a close hard fought game that goes deep into the 4th quarter.
I think our lines are better on both sides, which is why I think we control the game.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:30 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:45 pm
This game is making me very nervous. Almost like going to Northern Colorado to play.

From WIU’s Game Notes:

“Home Cooking | Playing at Hanson Field has been a tough task for non-conference teams in recent years. The Leathernecks are 34-4 against non-MVFC teams since 1999, including a current 12-game win streak.”

We need to snap that streak — it's there for a reason. It means it is a difficult place to win, whatever the reasons.
I keep going back and forth on this game too. I've been nervous about their home record in non-conference games, so I looked up some old schedules. First of all, they don't play a ton of non-conference home games. Maybe they can get more money going other places, I'm not sure. There are plenty of seasons where they don't play any home non-MVFC games. More often than not, their home non-conference games are against teams like Valpo, Butler, Drake, IUPUI, etc. Obviously they did beat UM last year and they beat NAU a few years ago at home, so it hasn't been all cupcakes. But I think the stat about their home non-conference record is a little misleading.

It's one thing for a team like MSU or UM to have a better record at home because of the energy the fan base brings, but there's something about what they're doing there that is impressive. Maybe it is just the travel, maybe it's the depressing environment, maybe they put something in the visitors' water.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:34 am

catatac wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:24 am
cats2506 wrote:
This game has all the makings of a trap game. MSU coming off a big win, difficult travel schedule, low energy environment, WIU is better than most people think. WIU could have some starters back that have not played this year, if they do then their run game will be stronger than expected. WIU has a O and D line which can hold them in the game at anyrate.

I still think the Cats overcome all of this and get a win, but expect a close hard fought game that goes deep into the 4th quarter.
I think our lines are better on both sides, which is why I think we control the game.
I thought this as well but I admit I don't know tons about WIU.

I guess my question would be, and mainly to those who think we're going to lose; in what areas does WIU have an advantage over us? I mean this seriously as I don't know. But if they are going to beat us what units are going to be most dangerous to the Cats?

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:53 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:34 am
catatac wrote:
cats2506 wrote:

I guess my question would be, and mainly to those who think we're going to lose; in what areas does WIU have an advantage over us? I mean this seriously as I don't know. But if they are going to beat us what units are going to be most dangerous to the Cats?
I would say that their QB is more developed than ours, I'm not banging on Bauman, its just that he has had 3 years in their system so is more developed.
I think our OL is slightly better than theirs, and our DL is slightly better also, I think we have a better LB and secondary than they do BUT their LB's and Secondary have talent just not as many games together, they have a lot of way they can improve just by playing together more. Skill positions is tough to call, if they have all their players back and Ifanse is not 100% I might give them the edge, If they have the same players and we have Ifanse then we get the edge. Of course TA is our wildcard, if their LB's don't play it right, TA and Jonson may break some big plays.

What I was alluding to above is that if we have a sub par game and WIU puts a full game together, the result will be in doubt.

I'm still saying the Cats win this, because I believe the team is mature enough to overcome the periphery obstacles.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:59 am

cats2506 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:53 am
ilovethecats wrote:
catatac wrote:
cats2506 wrote:

I would say that their QB is more developed than ours, I'm not banging on Bauman, its just that he has had 3 years in their system so is more developed.
I think our OL is slightly better than theirs, and our DL is slightly better also, I think we have a better LB and secondary than they do BUT their LB's and Secondary have talent just not as many games together, they have a lot of way they can improve just by playing together more. Skill positions is tough to call, if they have all their players back and Ifanse is not 100% I might give them the edge, If they have the same players and we have Ifanse then we get the edge. Of course TA is our wildcard, if their LB's don't play it right, TA and Jonson may break some big plays.

What I was alluding to above is that if we have a sub par game and WIU puts a full game together, the result will be in doubt.

I'm still saying the Cats win this, because I believe the team is mature enough to overcome the periphery obstacles.
Thanks! Much appreciated.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:03 am

cats2506 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:53 am
ilovethecats wrote:
catatac wrote:
cats2506 wrote:

I feel just about the same way. I think talent-wise the teams are similar from what I can see and what I've heard. Choate said they have a ton of transfers and drop-down guys. It seems like they lost to North Alabama in large part because of either some lack of discipline or a lack of cohesion from a bunch of guys who just started playing together, and probably more of the latter. They will get better as the season goes on and they start playing together. MSU has that experience together and to me that gives the Bobcats an edge. Hopefully MSU is as disciplined as I think they're becoming and can overcome some quirks about a road game with a solid opponent.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:34 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:30 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:45 pm
This game is making me very nervous. Almost like going to Northern Colorado to play.

From WIU’s Game Notes:

“Home Cooking | Playing at Hanson Field has been a tough task for non-conference teams in recent years. The Leathernecks are 34-4 against non-MVFC teams since 1999, including a current 12-game win streak.”

We need to snap that streak — it's there for a reason. It means it is a difficult place to win, whatever the reasons.
I keep going back and forth on this game too. I've been nervous about their home record in non-conference games, so I looked up some old schedules. First of all, they don't play a ton of non-conference home games. Maybe they can get more money going other places, I'm not sure. There are plenty of seasons where they don't play any home non-MVFC games. More often than not, their home non-conference games are against teams like Valpo, Butler, Drake, IUPUI, etc. Obviously they did beat UM last year and they beat NAU a few years ago at home, so it hasn't been all cupcakes. But I think the stat about their home non-conference record is a little misleading.

It's one thing for a team like MSU or UM to have a better record at home because of the energy the fan base brings, but there's something about what they're doing there that is impressive. Maybe it is just the travel, maybe it's the depressing environment, maybe they put something in the visitors' water.
I think you're right (above). If you can only get a few thousand in your stands in home games it wont' generate too much revenue so taking a trip would likely be more lucrative.

The Big Meowski
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by The Big Meowski » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:51 am

I still predict a Bobcat win. I also predict there will be a half dozen people saying something similar to this next week:

1) Boy, I’m not sure about this one, Norfolk State matches up well
2) I’m not liking this one, the Cats struggle every 2nd home game
3) Bow hunting season, the Cats will be flat
4) No, no , no. THIS is the trap game!
5) Just kidding here. I appreciate caution

Brian Demarais
Sec. 105
Row 2
Seat 1

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:38 am

If you guys think that the Cats DL is of a similar talent level to WIU, then I guess I'm not sure what games you've been watching.

We aren't just better than them, we're a good level or two above them as a team.

I'll repeat, this game should not be close.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:42 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:38 am
If you guys think that the Cats DL is of a similar talent level to WIU, then I guess I'm not sure what games you've been watching.

We aren't just better than them, we're a good level or two above them as a team.

2nd half of the CSU game

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

ST_Lawson
New Recruit

Post by ST_Lawson » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:15 pm

kwcat wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:19 am
Whatever the reason, ndsu struggled mightily there a few years ago.
It's our deafening silence...nobody knows how to handle it when the QB barks out a play and all they hear is an echo of their own voice.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:17 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:42 am
bobcat99 wrote:

2nd half of the CSU game
What happened in the second half of the CSU game? It was 28-6 at halftime and CSU drove for a TD to start the second half to make it 35-6. Kind of hard to give anything that happens after that much weight.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:34 pm

We are undefeated on road games that come the day after Friday the 13th with a full moon.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:37 pm

iaafan wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:17 pm
cats2506 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

2nd half of the CSU game
What happened in the second half of the CSU game? It was 28-6 at halftime and CSU drove for a TD to start the second half to make it 35-6. Kind of hard to give anything that happens after that much weight.
didn't look like CSU pulled their starters and WIU kept battling and held quite a bit better. the box score of a FCS vs FBS game doesn't tell much.
I have watched both games and have seen steady improvement. Their best showing is also their most recent, don't be surprised if the continue to improve. Primary talking about their defensive performance here.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:52 pm

iaafan wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:04 am
Choate too, is concerned about this game. He said he told the players before the season that this is one of the biggest games of the year. He said that due to how MSU’s played on the road. MSU is 5-12 on the road (13-7 at home) in the Choate era. Wins over UM (2), UNC, PSU, and UND. 3-4 following a home win on the road. Wins over UM (2) and PSU. Throw out those UM wins (a game that’s easy to get up for) and MSU has been really flat on the road. 3-12 and 1-4. That has to get fixed.
I think that is quite a bit of coach speak. I completely agree we need to win more on the road but as you point out we've had some damn good wins on the road. Also, look at the losses we've had on the road. Looking at the last three years because year one is a throw away, we lost a lot of games period, because we weren't that good.

2018: Lost to SDSU, Weber, ISU, and NDSU. Three of those teams were flat out better teams than us, with the exception being ISU. I'd say we were 50\50 in this one - not like we lost to a bad team here.

2017: Washington State, EWU, NAU. Same deal. Maybe we should have beaten NAU but they were not a bad team.

2016: Idaho, Sac, Weber, SUU. Three good teams, and Sac State. I'll admit Sac was not very good this year and this is the only game where I can say we got beat by a bad team... but then again we weren't that good three years ago either. :lol:
Last edited by catatac on Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:53 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:34 pm
We are undefeated on road games that come the day after Friday the 13th with a full moon.
:lol: :lol:

Well that seals it then! Why are they even playing this game?

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:17 pm

The Big Meowski wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:51 am
I still predict a Bobcat win. I also predict there will be a half dozen people saying something similar to this next week:

1) Boy, I’m not sure about this one, Norfolk State matches up well
2) I’m not liking this one, the Cats struggle every 2nd home game
3) Bow hunting season, the Cats will be flat
4) No, no , no. THIS is the trap game!
5) Just kidding here. I appreciate caution
Yous Guys from Butte always kidding :D

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:31 pm

cats2506 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

2nd half of the CSU game
Okay?

Colorado State ain't that good either. Geez. They're a team that won 3 games last year, and won 2 games in a conference that outside of a couple teams is pretty mediocre. We'd beat them, or at least make a close game out of it.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:31 pm

Choate would definitely go out and say that this is an easy game we should dominate in. That's a thing that all coaches say before they go on the road.

Did some of you just start following football?